Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Nairobi Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
Took a gamble and decided to stay o/night in transit from Uganda to Joburg. Felt v safe, no-one hassled me, a woman on my own. – CharlieBeau
NBO Airport Overview
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Nairobi Jomo Kenyatta International Airport.
What to Expect
Nairobi Airport (code: NBO)has two brand new terminals. Terminal 1 is divided into five smaller terminals: 1A, 1B, 1C, and 1E serves international destinations and 1D serves domestic destinations. Nearby, Terminal 2 is home to low-cost carriers, so facilities are more basic.
You’ll find a few eateries and shops, but the offerings are limited for an airport of this size. Most places close by early evening, so plan ahead if you’re staying here for the night. Free WiFi helps pass the time. A few travellers have mentioned airport staff seeking bribes, particularly when passing through security, though others report feeling safe overall. Economy class passengers who want to upgrade their layover can pay to enter a few airport lounges, some of which have showers. See Airport Lounges in the guide below for locations and access information.
Sleeping in Nairobi Airport
Overnight campers sometimes get lucky finding sleep spots in cafes or restaurants that have closed for the night. Dress in layers, as temperatures range from downright cold to hot and sweaty. Earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones combat the noise and frequent announcements. Explore our guide to sleeping in Nairobi Airport or read some traveller airport reviews for more tips. For uninterrupted sleep, several hotels are located nearby. See our Airport Hotels section below for locations.
Some airport reviews and tips in this guide and elsewhere on the site were written before March 2020 and may no longer be valid. To help us keep this guide up-to-date, you can add or update information or write a review to submit airport tips and photos.
For more airport information continue scrolling down to explore more in our Nairobi Airport Guide.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security. For more information on Europe’s Schengen Area, click here.
If sleeping in the airport sounds like a nightmare, there are hotels near Nairobi Airport that provide free airport shuttles:
With Covid restrictions constantly changing, we recommend that you confirm shuttle availability prior to booking and/or prior to your arrival.
- Four Points by Sheraton Nairobi Airport » Check Rates
- Crowne Plaza Nairobi Airport » Check Rates
- Hilton Garden Inn Nairobi Airport » Check Rates
For more options, visit Tripadvisor to see a list of hotels near Nairobi Airport that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Pride Lounge – Location: unknown. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 40)
Simba Lounge – Location: unknown. Hours: 5:00AM – 12:00AM. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door.
Aspire Lounge – Location: Terminal 1B, Airside, opposite Gate 10. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door.Passes Turkish Airlines Star Alliance Lounge – Location: Terminal 1E, Airside, After Gate 3. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge pass • Lounge membership programs.
Terminal 2Passes Mount Kenya Lounge – Location: Terminal 2, Airside, Level 1. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Prepaid lounge pass • Lounge membership programs. Passes Mara Lounge – Location: Terminal 2, Airside, Level 1. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Prepaid lounge pass • Lounge membership programs.
If you are a First or Business Class traveller you may have access to the lounges listed below. For more information, check the airline’s web site. Kenya Airways Pride Lounge (T1A) • Kenya Airways Simba Lounge (T1A) • Kenya Airways Simba Lounge (T1C) • Kenya Airways Msafiri Lounge (T1D).
Related Pages: Nairobi Airport Lounges
Free WiFi is available at Nairobi Airport.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
- Business Centre – Yes
- Post Office – Available in the Main Hall.
- SIM Cards – A reader has asked us to include where to buy SIM Cards. If you know, click here to update this airport guide.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Children’s Play Areas – When you want to ensure your kids burn off all their energy before their flight, take them to the children’s play area. Location: unknown.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – At the time of this update, we do not have any information about any 24-hour food options. Here are some options you will find at the airport: The Karibu Cafe (Arrivals) • The Safari Coffee Shop (Domestic Departures) • The Kwaheri Snack Bar (Gate 4) • The Pub (Landside) • The Kenchic Inn (Arrivals).
- Information Desk – Need help finding your way? An information desk is available for both arriving and departing travellers. Hours: unknown.
- Baggage Trolleys – Need a hand with your luggage? Baggage trolleys are available free of charge in departures and arrivals areas.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – See an attendant at one of the information desks for more information about storing your luggage. Rates: KSH 300 (US$ 4)/bag/day. Hours: 24 hours.
- Luggage Wrapping – Service are available for KSH 1000 (US$10) per piece.
- Medical Services – Services are available 24 hours. Location: unknown.
- Pharmacy – Available and open 24 hours. Location: unknown.
- Mobile Charging – A reader tells us “There are numerous charging stations in public areas where you can recharge your phone. You typically need a charger, not just a cable. The stations are free, but are not secured, so don’t plan on leaving your phone there and wandering around. “
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans.
- Currency Exchange – Services are available in several places throughout the airport. There are also Banks at the airport which may be of assistance.
- Prayer Room – Yes
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – There are no dedicated sleeping areas, quiet areas or rest zones. If this information has changed, click here to update this guide.
- Duty Free & Shopping – Duty Free shopping is available. A variety of other shops selling souvenirs, newspapers, jewelry and more are available to both arriving and departing passengers.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Showers – Showers are available in the pay-to-enter Turkish Airlines Lounge. [ see Airport Lounges above ]. A traveller (Jan 2022) confirmed that there is a shower at Sheri Palm Spa (Terminal 1A). The rate is $20.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Nairobi airport is served by the following airlines: African Express Airways • Air Arabia • Air France • Air Mauritius • British Airways • China Southern Airlines • Daallo • Egyptair • Emirates • Ethiopian Airlines • Etihad Airways • Fly540 • JamboJet • Jubba Airways • Kenya Airways • KLM • LAM Mozambique Airlines • Lufthansa • Malawian Airlines • Oman Air • Precision Air • Qatar Airways • Rwandair • Saudia • South African Airways • SWISS • Turkish Airlines.
See also Airport Hotels above.
Taxis are readily available for hire in the ground transportation area. There are no meters, so negotiate a fare with the driver before starting your journey. “Matatus” (shared-ride minibus taxis) offer a lower cost alternative to private taxis. Always confirm your destination with the driver before getting in, and watch out for pickpockets.
Last updated: 2022-04-20
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.