Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Nairobi Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
Took a gamble and decided to stay o/night in transit from Uganda to Joburg. Felt v safe, no-one hassled me, a woman on my own. – CharlieBeau
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at Nairobi Jomo Kenyatta Airport.
What to Expect
- A brand new airport with modern, clean amenities. The airport was rebuilt after a major fire in 2013.
- Two terminals: T1 is broken into 1A, 1B, 1C, and 1E for international flights. 1D is used for domestic flights. T2 houses primarily low-cost carriers.
- Some travellers report great experiences with staff, and others report being asked for bribes.
- Very few eateries and shops, and what’s there closes early. Grab food ahead of time.
- Temperatures fluctuate from “freezer” to “sauna” setting.
- Economy class travellers can buy a pass and relax in one of two airport lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- For uninterrupted sleep, several hotels are located nearby. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Passes Turkish Airlines Star Alliance Lounge – Location: Terminal 1E, Airside, After Gate 3. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
If sleeping in Nairobi Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Airport View Plaza Hotel – (5 minutes from the airport) Located adjacent to the airport. No airport shuttle. Day rates available. » Check Rates
- Nairobi Airport Stop Over House – (10 minutes from the airport) 24-hour Airport transfers are available.. » Check Rates
- Nairobi Airport Hotel – (10 minutes from the airport) Free airport transfers are available 24-hours a day on request. Day rooms are available starting at $60.00USD and can be used from 9:00AM – 8:00PM. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Nairobi Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Nairobi Airport.
- Business Centre – Yes
- Post Office – Available in the Main Hall.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Children’s Play Areas – When you want to ensure your kids burn off all their energy before their flight, take them to the children’s play area. Location: unknown.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – At the time of this update, we do not have any information about any 24-hour food options. Here are some options you will find at the airport: The Karibu Cafe (Arrivals) • The Safari Coffee Shop (Domestic Departures) • The Kwaheri Snack Bar (Gate 4) • The Pub (Landside) • The Kenchic Inn (Arrivals).
- Information Desk – Need help finding your way? An information desk is available for both arriving and departing travellers. Hours: unknown.
- Baggage Trolleys – Need a hand with your luggage? Baggage trolleys are available free of charge in departures and arrivals areas.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – See an attendant at one of the information desks for more information about storing your luggage. Rates: KSH 300 (US$ 4)/bag/day. Hours: 24 hours.
- Luggage Wrapping – Service are available for KSH 1000 (US$10) per piece.
- Medical Services – Services are available 24 hours. Location: unknown.
- Pharmacy – Available and open 24 hours. Location: unknown.
- Mobile Charging – At the time of this update, we did not have any information about mobile charging availability. If you know, write a review or email us at [email protected]
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans.
- Currency Exchange – Services are available in several places throughout the airport. There are also Banks at the airport which may be of assistance.
- Prayer Room – Yes
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – Not available.
- Duty Free & Shopping – Duty Free shopping is available. A variety of other shops selling souvenirs, newspapers, jewelry and more are available to both arriving and departing passengers.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Showers – Showers are available in a few of the lounges. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
The airport is open 24 hours.
As of March 2018, Nairobi airport is served by the following airlines: KLM • China Southern • Qatar Airways • British Airways • Ethiopian Airlines • Royal Air Maroc • Air France • Swiss • Etihad Airways • Lufthansa • Emirates • Saudia • Air Canada • Turkish Airlines • EgyptAir.
Some local hotels offer shuttle service to and from the airport. Contact your hotel of choice for availability and details.
Taxis are readily available for hire in the ground transportation area of the airport. There are no meters, so negotiate a fare with the driver before starting your journey. “Matatus” (shared-ride minibus taxis) offer a lower cost alternative to private taxis. Always confirm your destination with the driver before getting in, and watch out for pickpockets.
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide, write a review or send an email to [email protected] and we will update this guide.