Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Nouakchott Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
From getting the shake-down whilst in a tiny cubicle with an AK-47 toting teenager to grim toilets, any lack of catering to a complete lack of any creature comforts, I think that NKT airport is really ‘up’ there with some of the world’s worst! – a traveller
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Nouakchott Airport.
What to Expect
- There is no air-conditioning, just fans.
- The security process is described as “inefficient” and “a real mess”. There is a lack of crowd control, so expect a lot of pushing and shoving.
- Be careful of a few entrepreneurial porters. One helpful reviewer says “A few ‘porteurs’ do try do get some money from you in exchange of ‘paperworks’ on your way out, but you really don’t need them: all the process can be done alone, and wasn’t asked for cadeaux or money from police officers”.
Where to Sleep
- It is not possible to sleep inside the terminal at night. You will have to sleep outside the terminal. One reviewer (in 2012) indicates that there were plenty of security outside all night.
- There are no hotels at the airport. For nearby hotels, see Airport Hotel below.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are a First or Business Class traveller you may have access to the lounge listed below. For more information, check the airline’s web site.
- Air France Lounge – Location: Airside.
If sleeping in Nouakchott Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Hotel Residence IMAN – (10 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle provided on a schedule. » Check Rates
- Monotel Hotel– (10 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle is available upon request. » Check Rates
- Maison d’hotes Jeloua – (10 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle. tthe hotel can arrange a taxi pickup for you ($). » Check Rates
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Nouakchott Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
Luggage Storage & Lockers – Not available.
Mobile Charging – At the time of this update, we did not have any information about mobile charging availability. If you know, write a review or email us at [email protected]
Rest Zones – Not available.
Showers – Not available.
As of this update, we were unable to confirm airport hours of operation. We recommend that you read a few reviews before deciding to sleep in the airport overnight. If you know the airport hours, please send an email to [email protected] and we will update this airport guide.
As of February 2018, Nouakchott airport is served by the following airlines: Turkish Airlines • Royal Air Maroc • Mauritania Airlines International.
Taxis are readily available for hire in the ground transportation area of the airport. There are no meters, so negotiate a fare with the driver before starting your journey.
Last updated: 2018-10-23
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide, write a review or send an email to [email protected] and we will update this guide.