Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Riga Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
Of the many airports I have slept at overnight, this one rates as the best. -Andrew
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Riga International Airport.
What to Expect
- A clean and modern international airport with four terminals (A, B, C and D). A variety of shops, restaurants and services are available, mostly located landside, so do your shopping and eating before you clear security!
- Speaking of eating, restaurants close at night, so have some food and beverage handy for late night snacking!
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
- Plenty of power outlets throughout the airport
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter one of the airport’s first class lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
Where to Sleep
- Riga Airport is sleeper-friendly! Benches are plentiful in this airport, and in lounges and retail areas in the airport, soft couches can be found. In Departures Sector E (2nd floor), purchase a snack or drink from the Sweet Delights cafe and enjoy a night on one of their soft leather couches. In Arrivals Sector C, couches and comfortable seating can be found near Pascucci Cafe. If you have a sleeping bag or travel mat handy, there is ample empty floor space to set up a home base for the night. Airside has plenty of comfortable leather couches, but lacks shops and restaurants.
- The airport can get cold at night, so come prepared with a blanket and/or warm clothes.
- Overhead announcements are kept to a minimum at night, but could still be disturbing to light sleepers, so have earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones to block them out. Have a sleep mask handy too, in case the airport lights are too bright.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
If sleeping in Riga Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Sky High Hotel – (2 minute walk from the airport terminal) The only hotel located on airport grounds. No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
- Best Western Hotel Mara – (5 minutes from the airport) Shuttle Hours: on request. Shuttle fee is € 5.00 each way. Call +371 67702718 to request your pick-up. » Check Rates
- ABC Hotel Airport– (5 minutes from the airport) Airport transfers are provided by Baltic Taxi, 5,70€ per person, each way. » Check Rates
- Balta Maja – (5 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Riga Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at the Riga Airport for an unlimited amount of time. Connect to the “RIX-Free-WiFi” network. After surfing for 15 minutes you will be required to watch an advertisement in order to continue. We hear the WiFi is fast enough to stream movies or make video calls!
Additionally, computer stations with internet access are available in Coffee Nation, located Airside.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
Airport Tours – Find out what happens at the airport during a behind-the-scenes airport tour. Tour needs to be pre-booked. Tour Duration: 1 hour. Location: Welcome to Riga office, 1st Floor, Arrivals Area E.
Beauty Salon – Wood Religion Barber Shop. Location: Departures section, 2nd Floor. Hours: Unknown.
Currency Exchange – ICE has exchange counters Landside, Departures sector “E” and arrivals sector “C”. Eurex offers foreign exchange services in the Airside at arrival, arrivals sector “E” and departures sector “E”. Hours: vary according to flight times.
Chapel – Location: 3rd Floor. Hours: open 24 hours
Drinking Water – Thirsty? Riga Airport sells bottled water for 1,00€. Once you have cleared security, look for the two stores displaying the signs.
Duty Free & Shopping – Duty Free is available (7 locations) as well as a small variety of shops to choose from including 3 locations of Narvesen (magazines, drinks, newspapers, etc.)
Food & Drinks – There are no 24 hour food concessions at the Riga Airport; however, you will find options available Airside that operate at least an hour before flight times until the last flight leaves.
Luggage Storage & Lockers – Location: Arrivals, Sector E, 1st Level. Rates: from 2,50€ for the 1st 12 hours, 3,00€ for 24 hours starting from the 2nd day and 1,00€ starting from the 2nd month. There is also a cloakroom where you can leave winter coats (1,50€ per item) if you are travelling to sunny destination that won’t require them. Small items that were not permitted through security can also be stored for 1,50€ per item.
Luggage Wrapping – Available on the second floor, landside, in the registration sector “F”.
Mobile Charging – A reader tells us there is one mobile charging point in the Departure Terminal by the Lavazza Coffee machine, opposite check-in counter 38.
Pharmacy – Location: Public area, 2nd floor, Departures sector E. Hours: 5:00AM – 11:00PM.
Post Office – Available on the first floor, in arrival sector “E”. Hours: 8:30AM-1PM and 2PM-5PM (Mon-Fri).
Printing – if you forgot to print your boarding pass, you can use the internet terminal located at the “Welcome Riga” office. Location: 1st Floor, Arrivals Area E.
Rest Zones – Not available.
Showers – Showers are available in the lounges. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
Spa – Embassy of Wellness offers spa services. Location: Departures section, 2nd Floor. Hours: Unknown.
The airport is open 24 hours.
As of February 2018, Riga airport is served by the following airlines: Aeroflot • Air Baltic • Belavia • Finnair • LOT • Lufthansa • Norwegian • Ryanair • RusLines • SAS • SmartLynx • Turkish Airlines • Ukraine International Airlines • Utair Aviation • Uzbekistan Airways • Wizz Air.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
The airport is well conn ected to the public transportation system. Bus No. 22 operates direct services between the Airport and Riga city centre. From the airport, look for the bus stop located opposite the terminal behind the P1 car park. When returning to the airport you will be dropped off across from the terminal on the 2nd level. The airport is also served by minibuses No. 222 and No. 241. Tickets can be purchased at the Welcome to Riga! Bureau in Arrivals Hall E, from a ticket vending machine at the bus stop and in retail outlets at Levels 1 and 2 of the terminal. For rates, fares and schedules, visit the Masruti website.
If onward travel is required, the airport provides many options including connections to Vilnius (Latvia), Tallinn (Estonia), Minsk (Belarus) or Warsaw (Poland) for example. To plan your onward travels, visit the Riga Airport website.
The following car rental agencies operate onsite in Arrivals sector E: Avis, Budget, Europcar and Sixt. Hours: vary according to flight times.
Taxis are readily available just outside of the Arrivals Hall. A one-way journey between the airport and city center takes around 20 minutes and rates are displayed on the passenger doors of all licensed taxis.
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide, write a review or send an email to [email protected] and we will update this guide.