Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Rio de Janeiro Santos Dumont Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
I settled in there, was asleep again, and within 20 minutes they were asking us to move into a narrow hall because they had to clean the big hall. – giggglius
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Santos Dumont Airport.
What to Expect
- A regional airport with two separate terminal buildings for Arrivals and Departures, located on the waterfront.
- A limited variety of shopping and dining options are available.
- Food concessions close around 10:00PM, so have food and beverage handy for late-night snacking if you plan to spend the night.
- The airport terminals are open-air, which mean that you are semi-exposed to the elements, and the temperature outside is what the terminal will be inside. If it is hot and humid outside, you will be hot and humid in the terminal.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- According to one reviewer, sleeping in this airport can be a real pain. Sleeping passengers were unable to sleep well due to being constantly shuffled around the airport terminals by airport staff for cleaning purposes.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- The airport closes at 11:00PM and reopens again around 4:30AM. Travelers will not be let in or out of the airport between those hours, so get there before closing if you wish to spend the night!
- For safety reasons, do not wander off airport grounds at night!
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
If sleeping in Rio de Janeiro Santos Dumont Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Ibis Santos Dumont Airport – Located only 200m from the terminal. Free transfers from the airport to the hotel. To find the shuttle, exit the terminal and look for the white van with the Ibis logo. The shuttle is timed to meet arrivals. A drop-off at the airport costs R$6,00 and runs every 20 minutes between 5:20AM – 11:00PM. » Check Rates
- Novotel Santos Dumont – (5 minute walk from the terminal) Located 400m from the airport terminal. Free shuttle bus (silver or white van) runs every 20 minutes. A drop-off at the airport costs R$6,00. » Check Rates
- Aeroporto Othon Travel – (5 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Santos Dumont Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Santos Dumont Airport. Connect to the ”Infraero WI-FI Gratis” network.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Machines are operated by Banco do Brasil • Bradesco • HSBC • Itaú • Santander. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Location: Landside, Arrivals Hall.
Baby Care Facilities – A baby changing room is available. Location: Landside, Arrivals Hall. Hours: 06:00 AM – 10:30 PM.
Currency Exchange – Bradesco • Caixa Econômica Federal • Itaú – Location: Landside, Arrivals Hall . Hours: 10:00AM – 4:00PM.
Duty Free & Shopping – Duty Free is available as well as a small selection of shops.
Food & Drinks – There are food and beverage concessions available both Landside and Airside. At the time of this update, none were open 24 hours.
Information Desk – Location: Landside, Arrivals Hall. Hours: 6:00AM – 10:00PM.
Luggage Storage & Lockers – Not available.
Medical Services – A medical office is located in the departures terminal. Hours: 06:00AM – 11:30PM.
Pharmacy – Location: Departures Terminal, 1st floor. Hours: 6:00AM – 10:00PM.
Postal Services – Drop off your last minute postcards at the airport’s post office. Location: Departures terminal, first floor. Hours: 9:00AM – 5:00PM (Mon-Fri).
Rest Zones – Not available.
Shoeshine – Location: Departures terminal, ground floor. Hours: 7:00AM – 8:00PM.(Mon-Fri).
Showers – Not available.
The airport is open 24 hours.
As of February 2018, Rio de Janeiro Santos Dumont airport is served by the following airlines: GOL • Avianca • Azul • LATAM • Passaredo.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Real Premium Bus lines 2018, 2145, and 2101 serve Santos Dumont Airport, with departures available every 30 minutes between 5:30AM – 10:00PM. These buses are air-conditioned, and offer ample room for storing your luggage. To catch a bus from the city to the airport, just wait for one in front of any major hotel. Tickets are sold onboard, but exact change is necessary.
These car rental agencies offer service on the ground floor of the Arrivals Hall: Avis • Hertz • Localiza • Locaralpha • Movida • Unidas.
Taxis are readily available for hire in the ground transportation area of the airport.
Last updated: 2018-10-23
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide, write a review or send an email to [email protected] and we will update this guide.