Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Salt Lake City Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
I was really impressed on how I felt the employees would watch out for us, but not suspiciously. – a traveller
SLC Airport Overview
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Salt Lake City International Airport.
What to Expect
Salt Lake City Airport (Code: SLC) operates three interconnected terminals: Terminal 1 with Concourses A and B; Terminal 2 with Concourse C; and, International Terminal with Concourses D and E. There is a decent selection of eateries and shops in all of the terminals, including one that operate 24-hours. Airport staff are generally described as friendly and helpful (one gave blankets to some overnight sleepers), and overall airport operations as efficient. WiFi is available to help pass the time. Flying Delta? Additional comfort can be found through fee-based access to the Sky Club. See Airport Lounges below for locations and rates.
Sleeping in Salt Lake City Airport
There are mixed reviews about sleeping in this airport, with some travellers reporting difficulty finding comfortable sleeping spots and others reporting that they found comfortable, armrest-free seating. Given the reviews over the past few years, it appears that maybe airport seating gets periodically moved around, and that finding good spots might be a case of “seek and you might find.” One recent reviewer said security shuts down “early,” but that late night access to the airside can be found in Terminal 1. Overall, Concourse B in Terminal 1 seems to be cited the most for potential sleeping spots. Extra layers or travel blanket, earplugs/noise-cancelling headphones, and eyeshades are all recommended for improved comfort if you are planning to spend the night in this airport. For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
The LDS church offers a free layover tour with a shuttle that takes visitors to Temple Square in Salt Lake City. Shuttle departures vary by season, so head to the airport info desk in either terminal for a brochure with up-to-date departure times.
Due to the current Covid-19 pandemic, all services and times listed below are subject to change. Some services and facilities may remain closed or operate with reduced hours. Airport tips and suggestions in this guide and elsewhere on the site were written before March 2020 and may no longer be valid. If you are planning to sleep in the public area of the terminal overnight, have a back-up plan! We’ve heard from a few travellers at other airports and they were not permitted to stay overnight. We’re not sure if that will apply to this airport, until a reader lets us know the current situation. If you have some time to spare please write a review, send a tip or share photos to help future travellers.
For more airport information continue scrolling down to explore more in our Salt Lake City Airport Guide.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Airline Lounges (members only)
Delta Sky Club – Location: Concourse C/D. Lounge Access: Elite Status • Lounge membership programs.
Salt Lake City Airport Hotels
If sleeping in Salt Lake City Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Hyatt Place Salt Lake City Airport – (4 minutes from the airport) Free 24-hour shuttle service to the airport and surrounding area (within 3 mile radius). » Check Rates
- Airport Inn Hotel – (7 minutes from the airport) Free 24-hour airport shuttle is available. » Check Rates
- Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Salt Lake City Airport – (6 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle is available from 4:00AM to Midnight. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Salt Lake City Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Airport WiFi / Internet
Free WiFi is available at Salt Lake City Airport. Connect to the “slcairport.wifi” network.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
- Business Center – Regus Express offers computers with internet connection and other business services. Location: Terminal Two, between Concourse C & D. Hours: 7:00AM – 9:00PM.
- Postal Services – Drop off your last minute postcards at the airport’s mailboxes. Locations: Terminal 1, Airside, near the top of Concourse G • Terminal 2, Airside, in the connector between Concourses C and D. Stamps are available for purchase at all Airside ATMs and some newstands.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – Most washrooms throughout the airport offer baby change facilities. In addition, if you are in need of a quiet, private place to nurse your baby look for the Special Needs or Infant Care rooms. Landside locations: in the terminal lobbies. Airside locations: Terminal 1, middle of Concourse B ▪ Terminal 2, opposite Gate C-1 ▪ Terminal 2, opposite Gate D-1 and D-6 ▪ Terminal 2, Concourse E, near Gate E60. Note – these special rooms do not include restroom facilities in the Airside locations.
- Children’s Play Areas – Locations: Concourses A, B, and E
Food & Drinks
- Drinking Water – Thirsty? Water bottle refill stations are available free of charge. Locations: Concourse A (Gate A4) ▪ Concourse B (Gates B5A, B5B, B11A, Lower B) ▪ Terminal 2 (Lobby, Baggage Claim #6 and airside) ▪ Concourse C (Gate C7, Lower/Door 159) ▪ Concourse D (Gates D1A, D1B, D6A, D6B) ▪ Concourse E (Gate E60) ▪ Car Rental Lobby ▪ Terminal 1 (Baggage Claim #1 and airside Level 2) ▪ Concourse G (Gate G4).
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules, you will find many open between 6:00AM – 10:00PM (Note: Hours may be reduced on Tuesdays and Saturdays, depending on flight schedules). This option is open 24 hours: McDonald’s (Terminal 2, Upper Level Food Court, between Concourses C and D). Vending machines are also available in the airport lobbies, the concourses (except C) and the lower level of the parking garage.
- Information Desk – You will find information desks across from the baggage claim areas in both Terminals. Hours: unknown.
- Baggage Carts – Need a hand with your luggage? Baggage carts are available. Rate: $5.00 per cart, and a $0.25 refund for returning the cart.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Not available.
- Mobile Charging – Power outlets are available throughout the terminals and the connector hallway.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs, oeprated by ZIons Bank and US Bank, are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Landside and Airside in both terminal lobbies.
- Currency Exchange – Travelex offers foreign currency exchange in the airport. Location: Terminal 2, airside, Concourse D (near Gate D2). Hours: 7:30AM – 9:00PM.
- Pet Relief – There are designated areas in the following locations: Across the street from each terminal (near parking garage) • Between Terminal 2 and the International Terminal • Airside, Concourse E and Concourse F.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – There are no dedicated sleeping areas, quiet areas or rest zones. If this information has changed, click here to update this guide.
- Duty Free & Shopping – Duty Free Americas Location: Terminal 2, Concourse D Hours: 6:00AM – 9:00PM (hours on Tues and Sat may be reduced, depending on flight schedules). In addition, you will find a small selection of stores selling newspapers, souvenirs, travel items, etc.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Salon and Spa Services – XpresSpa offers a full array of spa services for travelers. Locations: Terminal 1, Concourse B ▪ Terminal 2, Concourse C and D. Hours: 6:00AM – 10:00PM.
- Showers – Not available.
- Smoking – Smoking is prohibited anywhere inside the terminal. You will need to smoke in designated outside locations (25 Meters from the Terminal), before clearing security.
Things to do & see
- Art in the Airport – The airport art collection on display throughout the airport, most prominently featured in the terminal connector hallway.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Keep in mind that airline check-in and baggage drop hours vary according to the flight schedule. Check the hours with your airline. If you are in the public area of the terminal (landside) you will not be able to get through to the secure area of the terminal (airside) until the morning. The TSA security screening checkpoint hours vary according to terminal:
- Terminal 1: 4:30AM – 12:00AM
- Terminal 2: 4:30AM – 1:00AM
International Terminal: open as required for international flights
Salt Lake City airport is served by the following airlines: Aeromexico • Alaska Airlines • American Airlines • Delta • Frontier Airlines • JetBlue • KLM • Southwest Airlines • United Airlines
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Should you need to connect to the Amtrak Train Station you can use one of the available shuttle buses for the 10 minute trip or take the train (#704) and bus (#701) which takes about 45 minutes. As for assistance at one of the Airport’s Ground Transportation Desks.
UTA public bus stops are located outside of the Welcome Center at the south end of Terminal 1, and outside of Terminal 2 near baggage claim 8. UTA offers 3 bus lines to and from the airport. Service is limited on weekdays and closed on weekends. For more information, visit the UTA web site.
Alamo • Avis • Budget • Dollar • Enterprise • Firefly • Hertz • National • Payless •Thrifty are located onsite at the ground floor of the Short Term Parking Garage. Further agencies are available offsite and accessible via a courtesy shuttle.
Several area hotels provide free airport shuttle service. Some of these hotels can be reached using the direct-line phones at the far end of baggage claim of either terminal. Contact your hotel for shuttle service availability and details. Here are some hotels that offer airport shuttle service: Comfort Suites Airport • Courtyard Salt Lake City Airport • DoubleTree by Hilton Salt Lake City Airport • Fairfield Inn & Suites Salt Lake City Airport • Hilton Garden Inn Salt Lake City Airport • Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites – Airport East • Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Salt Lake City – Airport West • Hyatt Place Salt Lake City Airport • La Quinta Inn & Suites Salt Lake City Airport • Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Salt Lake City Airport • Radisson Salt Lake City Airport • Springhill Suites Marriott Salt Lake City Airport • Super 8 Salt Lake City/Airport.
See Airport Hotels above.
Shuttles and Limousines
Several companies provide shuttle service or luxury transportation services from the airport. These services can be arranged through the Ground Transportation Desks located in the baggage claim areas of both terminals. Service providers can also be found outside of Door 7 (Terminal 1) and Door 11 (Terminal 2).
Transportation Network Service
Lyft provides service in the Salt Lake City metropolitan area. Transportation is arranged via mobile app. Designated pickup areas are available in the middle traffic lanes outside of the baggage claim area of both terminals.
TRAX is the light rail system that covers all of Salt Lake City and its suburbs. The TRAX Airport station can be accessed by a platform that extends south from the east end of Terminal 1. Operating on a schedule, TRAX runs every 15 minutes on the weekdays and every 20 minutes on the weekends.
Last updated: 2020-10-20
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.