Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Sapporo Chitose Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
Once all the passengers were settled in the room, the airport staff dimmed the lights and I was able to get a decent night’s sleep. – Joe
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at New Chitose Airport.
What to Expect
- A modern international airport with two separate terminals: a larger, semicircle terminal used for international flights and a smaller terminal for domestic flights.
- A wide variety of shops, restaurants and services are available to keep you well-fed and entertained!
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter the airport’s first class lounge. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
Where to Sleep
- Overnight stays are not permitted in this airport. In cases of weather-related flight cancellation, the airport has reluctantly permitted overnight stays on the floor of the conference room, but otherwise, don’t plan to spend the night here.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
- New Chitose Airport Onsen – Location: Domestic Terminal, 4F. Lounge Access: 1,500 yen. [ more lounge info ]
- Super Lounge – Location: Domestic Terminal, 3F, Airside. Lounge Access: 1080 yen. [ more lounge info ]
- Royal Lounge – Location: International Terminal, 4F, Airside. Lounge Access: 1080 yen
- Royal Lounge – Location: International Terminal, 4F, Airside. Lounge Access: 1080 yen
If you are a First or Business Class traveller you may have access to the lounges listed below. For more information, check the airline’s web site.
ANA Lounge (Location: Domestic Terminal, Airside, near Gate 7) • Japan Airlines Diamond Premier Lounge (Location: Domestic Terminal, Airside, 3rd Floor) • All Nippon Airways ANA Suite Lounge (Location: Domestic Terminal, Airside, near Gate 7).
If sleeping in Sapporo Chitose Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
In Transit Air Terminal Hotel – Located airside on the east end of the 3rd floor of the domestic terminal buildings 1F and 2F, near the boarding gates of Skymark Airlines. Guests can easily walk to international terminal through the main hallway that separates domestic and international terminals. » Check Rates
At Airport New Chitose Airport Onsen – A budget hotel with Japanese-style hot springs…in the airport! Located on the top of the domestic terminal, building 4F, there are 11 guest rooms available for overnight stay (from 5:00PM to 9:00AM, but guests can use facilities before check-in). Rates start at 5,000 yen and include breakfast and “deep night” fee. » Check Rates
Near Airport Hotel Grand Terrace Chitose – (10 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle is available. Shuttle runs from the airport (wait at Rotary Square, West Exit, post office headquarters side) between 4:00PM – 9:00PM. Shuttle runs rom the hotel to the airport every hour between 6:30AM – 11:30AM and every 1.5 hours between 5:00PM and 11:00PM. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Chitose Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Sapporo Chitose Airport. Connect to the “NewChitose_Airport_Free_Wi_Fi” network. To connect you will need to provide your email address.
If you do not have a mobile device, there is a free Internet Lounge in the International Terminal that provide a desk and chair for travellers to use their laptops. Location: Airside, 3F. Hours: 6:30AM – 10:30PM. Rates: free of charge. In the Domestic Terminal, there are 2 Internet Lounges, where users without laptops can pay to use the computers. Locations: 3F and 4F. Hours: 10:00AM – 8:00PM. Rate: 100yen/10 minutes.
- Business Services – If you need to print a document or send a last-minute fax before your flight, there is a Business Center in the Domestic Terminal, 4F. Hours: unknown.
- Post Office – Location: Domestic Terminal, 2F • Domestic Terminal, 1F • Connecting Path, 2F. Hours: 9:00AM – 5:00PM.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – There are free nursery facilities with baby beds and hot water dispensers in the domestic (2F, 3F) and international terminals (2F, 3F, 4F) and in the connecting path (2F, 3F). There is also a powder room for diaper change in the third floor of the domestic terminal building.
- Family Services – If you are travelling with small children, the airport offers strollers free of charge. Locations: Domestic Terminal, 2F • International Terminal, 2F • International 3F. Arrival Lobby and 3F Departure Lobby.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – At the time of this update there are no food and beverage concessions open 24 hours.
- Information Desk – Information desks are available in the domestic and international terminal buildings. Hours: according to flight schedule.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – There is a luggage storage room located at JAL Arrival Gate B. Rates: from 305 yen (small) – 820 yen (large). Locations: Domestic Terminal, 1F (Hours: 7:30AM – 8:00PM) • International Terminal, 2F (Hours: 8:30AM – 5:30PM. On Wed, Fri & Sat the facility is open until 9:00PM) • International Terminal, 3F (Hours: 7:30AM – 7:00PM. On Wed, Fri & Sat, the facility is open until 9:00PM). Additionally, you can find coin-operated lockers in the following areas: Domestic, 1st Floor • Domestic, 2nd Floor • Domestic 3rd Floor • Domestic, 4th Floor • International, 2nd Floor • International, 3rd Floor • International, 4th Floor. Rate: from 300 yen. Maximum period of use: 3 days. Use the Temporary Baggage Storage for longer storage time.
- Porters – Porter service is available within airport facilities for 450 yen.
- Medical Services – Internal Medicine Clinic located in the domestic terminal. Hours: 09:00AM – 1:00PM and 2:00PM – 05:00PM (Mon-Fri); 09:00AM – 12:00PM (Sat). Dental Services located in the domestic terminal. Hours: 09:00AM – 1:00PM and 2:00PM – 05:00PM (Mon, Wed, Fri); 09:00AM – 06:30PM (Tue, Thu). There are also 30 Automated External Defibrillators (AED) throughout the airport.
- Mobile Charging – Locations: Domestic Terminal, 2F and 4F. Hours: 10:00AM – 8:00PM. Rates: 100 yen/30 minutes. There are also two free spaces in the domestic terminal building (1F and 3F) that have power supply.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Domestic and International Terminals.
- Currency Exchange – There are 5 currency exchange counters. Locations: International Terminal (Arrival Lobby, Departure Lobby and Gates. Hours: according to international flight times) • Domestic Terminal (2 locations 1F. Hours: vary however you will find one open 7:15AM – 8:00PM).
- Prayer Room – Location: International Terminal, 2F. Hours: unknown.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – Not available.
- Police – Location: Domestic 1F (hours: open 24 hours.) • International 2F (hours: 8:30AM – 7:00PM).
- Duty Free & Shopping – Duty free is available in the International Terminal (3F) and is open according to departing flight schedule.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Showers – Not available.
- Spa – The New Chitose Airport Onsen offers baths, resting facilities, sauna, massage and beauty treatments as well as a dining facilities. There are two public baths (indoor and outdoor) that are fed by the nearby hotspring. De-stress with a massage, foot rub or facial. If you prefer to rest, there are comfortable loungers with individual TVs and a limited number of private rooms if you are looking for a deep sleep. Hours: Open 23 hours – it is closed between 9:00AM -10:00AM.
Things to do & see
- Art in the Airport – Several permanent and temporary exhibitions and displays can be found throughout the airport. Locations: Domestic 1F • International 1F, 2F, 3F • Connecting Path 2F.
- Movie Theater – This is Japan’s first airport movie theater. The cinema has 3 screens and 3D capability. Location: Domestic Terminal 4F. Hours: 9:00AM – 12:00AM. Rate: 1700 yen (adult) and 1400 yen (middle school – college students), 1000 yen (children to junior middle school and seniors),.
- Museum – The Chitose Sky Museum displays aviation related models and memorabilia. Location: International 2F, Landside.
- Observation Deck – Relax and watch planes taking off and landing from the vantage point of the airport’s observation deck. Location: Location: Domestic 4F. The entrance is on the 3rd floor of the food court. Hours: 8:00AM – 8:00PM (April to November). It is closed from December to March. Rate: 100 yen.
Other Airport Services & Facilities
- Dressing Room – Dressing rooms are available free of charge in the domestic and international terminals. Hours: 6:20AM – 11:00PM (Domestic terminal); 6:30AM – 10:00PM (International terminal).
According the airport’s web site, the airport terminals are open during the following hours:
Domestic Terminal Building – Hours: 6:20AM – 11:00PM.
International Terminal Building – Hours: 6:30AM – 10:30PM.
Connecting Path – Hours: 6:20AM – 11:00PM.
As of February 2018, Sapporo Chitose airport is served by the following airlines: Japan Airlines • ANA • Skymark Airlines • Peach Aviation • Jetstar • Vanilla Air • Spring Japan • AirAsia • Korean Airlines • United Airlines • Aurora Airlines • China Eastern Airlines • Cathay Pacific Airways • EVA Airways • Air China • Jin Air • Hawaiian Airlines • Thai Airways • T’way Airlines • Tianjin Airlines • Air Busan • Asiana Airlines • Scoot • Hainan Airlines • Juneyao Air • Eastar Jet.
The airport is served by a large number of airport limousine buses and fixed route buses. Bus stands are located on the 1st floors (1F) of the Domestic Terminal and the International Terminals. Airport limousine buses can be taken to destinations such as Downtown Sapporo, Maruyama Bus Terminal, Oyachi and Jozankei Onsen. Fixed route buses travel to destinations such as Downtown Chitose, Tomakomai, Noboribetsu Onsen, and also include “ski buses” that travel to Niseko, Rusutsu and Yubari during winter ski season.
The Car Rentals counter is located on the 1st floor of the Domestic Terminal. The following car rental agencies are available onsite: Budget, Hokkaido BUBU, Honda, JR Hokkaido, Nippon, Nissan, ORIX, OTS, Sky, Times, Toyota Rental & Leasing (Poplar and Suzuran branches) and World Net Rent. Hours of operation vary, with a majority of agencies open from 8:00AM – 8:00PM.
Two taxi stands are located outside of the Domestic Terminal, and an additional taxi stand is located outside of the International Terminal. Sightseeing and jumbo taxis can be hired at the information desk in the Arrivals Hall.
New Chitose Airport Station, the airport’s train station along the JR rail line, is connected to the 1st basement floor B1F) of the Domestic Terminal. The Rapid Airport Express offers fast transportation to and from Sapporo, with departures every 15 minutes. Total one-way trip time is 36 minutes. Tickets and rechargeable smart cards (Kitaka, Suika and PASMO) can be purchased at ticket vending machines in the train station.
Local trains also bring passengers to and from Sapporo, although not as fast. Sapporo Chitose Airport is also served by trains traveling to and from main cities in Hokkaido such as Abashiri, Asahikawa, Hakodate, Higashi Muroran, Kushiro, Obihiro and Tomakomai.
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide, write a review or send an email to [email protected] and we will update this guide.