Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Sapporo Chitose Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
Once all the passengers were settled in the room, the airport staff dimmed the lights and I was able to get a decent night’s sleep. – Joe
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Sapporo Chitose Airport.
What to Expect
Sapporo Chitose Airport has two modern terminals, the smaller Domestic Terminal and the larger International terminal. An indoor walkway connects the terminals. Amenities include several shops and eateries, a movie theatre, two spas, free dressing rooms, an aviation museum, and free WiFi. Economy class passengers can pay to enter a few airport lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for location and access information.
Where to Sleep
The airport closes nightly, so overnight stays are not possible. For uninterrupted sleep, the Domestic Terminal has two hotels: a transit hotel that caters to domestic and international transit passengers as well as a budget hotel, located landside. Nearby hotels offer shuttle service. See our Airport Hotels section below for more info.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
- New Chitose Airport Onsen – Location: Domestic Terminal, 4F. Lounge Access: 1,500 yen. [ more lounge info ]
- Super Lounge – Location: Domestic Terminal, 3F, Airside. Lounge Access: 1080 yen. [ more lounge info ]
- Royal Lounge – Location: International Terminal, 4F, Airside. Lounge Access: 1080 yen
If you are a First or Business Class traveller you may have access to the lounges listed below. For more information, check the airline’s website.
- ANA Lounge – Location: Domestic Terminal, Airside, near Gate 7
- Japan Airlines Diamond Premier Lounge – Location: Domestic Terminal, Airside, 3rd Floor
- All Nippon Airways ANA Suite Lounge – Location: Domestic Terminal, Airside, near Gate 7
If sleeping in Sapporo Chitose Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
In Transit Air Terminal Hotel – Located airside on the east end of the 3rd floor of the domestic terminal buildings 1F and 2F, near the boarding gates of Skymark Airlines. Guests can easily walk to international terminal through the main hallway that separates domestic and international terminals. » Check Rates
At Airport New Chitose Airport Onsen – A budget hotel with Japanese-style hot springs…in the airport! Located on the top of the domestic terminal, building 4F, there are 11 guest rooms available for overnight stay (from 5:00PM to 9:00AM, but guests can use facilities before check-in). Rates start at 5,000 yen and include breakfast and “deep night” fee. » Check Rates
Near Airport Hotel Grand Terrace Chitose – (10 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle is available. Shuttle runs from the airport (wait at Rotary Square, West Exit, post office headquarters side) between 4:00PM – 9:00PM. Shuttle runs from the hotel to the airport every hour between 6:30AM – 11:30AM and every 1.5 hours between 5:00PM and 11:00PM. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Chitose Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Sapporo Chitose Airport. Connect to the “NewChitose_Airport_Free_Wi_Fi” network. To connect you will need to provide your email address.
If you do not have a mobile device, there are Internet Lounges available:
- International Terminal (Airside, 3F and 4F). Rates: Free to use. Hours: according to flight schedules.
- Domestic Terminal (Airside, 3F and 4F). Rates: 100yen/10 minutes. Hours: 10:00AM – 8:00PM.
- Business Services – If you need to print a document or send a last-minute fax before your flight, there is a Business Center in the Domestic Terminal, 4F. Hours: 10:00AM – 8:00PM.
- Post Office – Send your last minute postcards to friends and family from airport’s post office. Location: Domestic Terminal, 2F • Domestic Terminal, 1F • Connecting Path, 2F. Hours: 9:00AM – 5:00PM.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – If you are travelling with an infant, there is a free nursery for breastfeeding and diaper-changing.There are free nursery facilities with baby beds and hot water dispensers. Locations: Domestic Terminal (2F, 3F) • International terminals (2F, 3F, 4F) • Connecting path (2F, 3F).
- Children’s Play Area – When you want to ensure your kids burn off all their energy before their flight, take them to the children’s play area. Location: 4F, next to food court.
- Powder Room – Available for all passengers free of charge. The powder room also contains a diaper changing area. Location: Domestic Terminal, 3F.
- Family Services – If you are travelling with small children, the airport offers strollers free of charge. Locations: Domestic Terminal, 2F • International Terminal, 2F • International 3F. Arrival Lobby and 3F Departure Lobby.
- Stroller Rental – If you are travelling with small children, the airport offers strollers free of charge. Locations: Domestic Terminal, 2F • International Terminal, 2F • International 3F. Arrival Lobby and 3F Departure Lobby.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – At the time of this update there are no food and beverage concessions open 24 hours.
- Information Desk – There are ten Information desks available in the domestic and international terminal buildings. Hours: according to flight schedule.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – There are a few options:
- Storage Rooms: Storage rooms are available in the Domestic Terminal (1st and 2nd Floor) and the International Terminal (2nd Floor). Hours: vary by location but are generally open from 7:00AM – 7:00PM. Rates: from 305 yen (small) – 820 yen (large).
- Lockers: Additionally, you can find coin-operated lockers in the Domestic Terminal (17 units over 4 floors), the International Terminal (4 units over 2 floors) and in the Connecting Hallway (3rd Floor). Rates: 300 – 600 yen. Maximum period of use: 3 days. Use the Luggage Storage for longer storage time.
- Porters – Porter service is available within airport facilities for 410 yen.
- Luggage Wrapping – Protect your bags from theft and damage by having your bags wrapped in plastic. Available in the International Terminal (2nd Floor at the Storage Room). Hours: 8:00AM – 5:00PM. Rates: 1080 – 1620 yen depending on the size of the bag.
- Internal Medicine Clinic – (Domestic Terminal). Hours: 09:00AM – 1:00PM and 2:00PM – 05:00PM (Mon-Fri); 09:00AM – 12:00PM (Sat).
Dental Services: (Domestic Terminal). Hours: 09:00AM – 1:00PM and 2:00PM – 05:00PM (Mon, Wed, Fri); 09:00AM – 06:30PM (Tue, Thu).
- Automated External Defibrillators (AED) – There are 30 throughout the airport.
- Mobile Charging – There are at least 14 free charging stations (each with 2 outlets and/or USB ports) available in the Domestic Terminal (1F, 2F and 3F). Paid services are also available in the Domestic Terminal, 2F and 4F. Hours: 10:00AM – 8:00PM. Rates: 100 yen/30 minutes.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Domestic and International Terminals.
- Currency Exchange – There are 5 currency exchange counters. Locations: International Terminal (Arrival Lobby, Departure Lobby and Gates. Hours: according to international flight times) • Domestic Terminal (2 locations 1F. Hours: vary however you will find one open 7:15AM – 8:00PM).
- Prayer Room – Location: International Terminal, 2F. Hours: unknown.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Massage Chairs – Sit back and enjoy a massage in one of the airport’s many coin-operated massage chairs. Rate: 200 yen / 10 mins. Locations: Domestic Terminal (2F) • Connecting Path (2F) • International Terminal (3F).
- Rest Zones – Not available.
- Police – Location: Domestic 1F (hours: open 24 hours.) • International 2F (hours: 8:30AM – 7:00PM).
- Duty Free & Shopping – Duty free is available in the International Terminal (3F) and is open according to departing flight schedule. Both Terminals offer plenty of shops to pass your time at the airport.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Mari-Art Nail Salon – Location: Domestic Terminal, 2nd Floor. Hours: 7:00AM – 8:30PM.
- Showers – Not available.
- Spa – Relax and unwind before your flight with the following services:
- New Chitose Airport Onsen – offers baths, resting facilities, sauna, massage and beauty treatments as well as a dining facilities. There are two public baths (indoor and outdoor) that are fed by the nearby hotspring. De-stress with a massage, foot rub or facial. If you prefer to rest, there are comfortable loungers with individual TVs and a limited number of private rooms if you are looking for a deep sleep. Hours: Open 23 hours – it is closed between 9:00AM -10:00AM.
- Raffine Spa – Location: Domestic Terminal, 2nd Floor. Hours: 10:00AM – 9:00PM.
Things to do & see
- Art in the Airport – Several permanent and temporary exhibitions and displays can be found throughout the airport. Locations: Domestic 1F • International 1F, 2F, 3F • Connecting Path 2F.
- Movie Theater – This is Japan’s first airport movie theater. The cinema has 3 screens and 3D capability. Location: Domestic Terminal 4F. Hours: 9:00AM – 12:00AM. Rate: 1700 yen (adult) and 1400 yen (middle school – college students), 1000 yen (children to junior middle school and seniors),.
- Museum – The Chitose Sky Museum displays aviation related models and memorabilia. Location: International 2F, Landside.
- Observation Deck – Watch the planes take off on the airport’s observation deck. Location: Domestic Terminal, 4F. Hours: 8:00AM – 8:00PM. Fee: 100 yen. Note: The observation deck is not open during the winter season (December – March).
Other Airport Services & Facilities
- Dressing Room – Dressing rooms are available free of charge in the domestic and international terminals. Hours: 6:20AM – 11:00PM (Domestic terminal); 6:30AM – 10:00PM (International terminal).
According to the airport’s website, the airport terminals are open during the following hours:
Domestic Terminal Building – Hours: 5:00AM – 11:00PM.
International Terminal Building – Hours: 500AM – 10:30PM.
Connecting Path – Hours: 5:00AM – 11:00PM.
As of February 2019, Sapporo Chitose airport is served by the following airlines: Air Busan • Air China • Air Do • AirAsia • Air Seoul • ANA • Asiana Airlines • Aurora Airlines • Cathay Pacific Airways • China Eastern Airlines • Eastar Jet • EVA Airways • Fuji Dream Airlines • Hainan Airlines • Hawaiian Airlines • Hong Kong Airlines • IBEX Airlines • Japan Airlines • JeJu Air • Jetstar • Jin Air • Juneyao Air • Korean Airlines • Peach Aviation • Philippines Airlines • Scoot Airlines • Skymark Airlines • Spring Japan • Thai AirAsia • Thai Airways • Tianjin Airlines • T’way Airlines • Ural Airlines • Vanilla Air.
The airport is served by a large number of airport limousine buses and fixed route buses. Bus stands are located on the 1st floors (1F) of the Domestic Terminal and the International Terminals. Airport limousine buses can be taken to destinations such as Downtown Sapporo, Maruyama Bus Terminal, Oyachi and Jozankei Onsen. Fixed route buses travel to destinations such as Downtown Chitose, Tomakomai, Noboribetsu Onsen, and also include “ski buses” that travel to Niseko, Rusutsu and Yubari during winter ski season.
The Car Rentals counter is located on the 1st floor of the Domestic Terminal. The following car rental agencies are available onsite: Budget • Hokkaido BUBU • Honda • JR Hokkaido • Nippon • Nissan • ORIX • OTS • Sky • Times • Toyota Rental & Leasing (Poplar and Suzuran branches) • World Net Rent. Hours of operation vary, with a majority of agencies open from 8:00AM – 8:00PM.
Two taxi stands are located outside of the Domestic Terminal, and an additional taxi stand is located outside of the International Terminal. Sightseeing and jumbo taxis can be hired at the information desk in the Arrivals Hall.
New Chitose Airport Station, the airport’s train station along the JR rail line, is connected to the 1st basement floor B1F) of the Domestic Terminal. The Rapid Airport Express offers fast transportation to and from Sapporo, with departures every 15 minutes. Total one-way trip time is 36 minutes. Tickets and rechargeable smart cards (Kitaka, Suika and PASMO) can be purchased at ticket vending machines in the train station.
Local trains also bring passengers to and from Sapporo, although not as fast. Sapporo Chitose Airport is also served by trains traveling to and from main cities in Hokkaido such as Abashiri, Asahikawa, Hakodate, Higashi Muroran, Kushiro, Obihiro and Tomakomai.
Last updated: 2019-08-13
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.