Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Shanghai Hongqiao Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
At Hongqiao itself there doesn’t appear to be a place to sleep, and it’s awfully crowed anyway. – Rod
What to Expect
Of the city’s two major airports, Shanghai Hongqiao Airport is located closer to the city center. Terminal 1 handles short-haul international flights and the much larger Terminal 2 serves domestic traffic. Eateries and shops are plentiful, especially in T2, but must places shut down by 10:00PM. Free WiFi helps pass the time when you get bored of window shopping. Economy class passengers can pay to enter airport lounges in both terminals. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for location and access information.
Where to Sleep
Past reviewers suggest that Terminal 2 closes nightly, around 10:00PM, but a traveller in 2018 had no problem sleeping all night in T2, reporting armrest-free seating and dozens of others travellers. Have a backup plan just in case. Earplugs can help combat typical airport noise. For uninterrupted sleep, hotels are in walking distance and offer free shuttle service. See our Airport Hotels section below for more info.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter through a lounge membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
If sleeping in Hongqiao Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Shanghai International Airport Hotel – (5 minute walk from the airport) Adjacent to Terminal 1. Free Airport transfers are available.. Day rooms available from 6:00AM to 4:00PM for 150 RMB/2-hour block (50 RMB per additional hour over 2 hours) and include airport shuttle service. » Check Rates
- Argyle International Airport Hotel – (5 minute walk from the airport terminal) Located adjacent to Terminal 1, to the right of the Departures Level exit ramp. Airport pick-up service available. Free hourly shuttle to Terminal 2. » Check Rates
- Boyue Shanghai Hongqiao Airport Hotel – Located in Terminal 2, a corridor connects the hotel to the airport check-in area. Shuttle service to Terminal 1 available.
» Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Shanghai Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Shanghai Hongqiao Airport in all public departures and arrivals area.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
Baby Care Facilities – A nursery is located in Terminal 1, Departures B, airside, next to the postal service.
Baggage Trolleys – Need a hand with your luggage? Baggage trolleys are available free of charge.
Business Services –
- Terminal 1 (passage way West to the left of Arrivals) offers a place to send faxes and make photocopies.
- Terminal 2 (South on M2 Floor) offers a wider variety of services including computer rentals and internet access.
Currency Exchange –
- Terminal 1: Locations: Baggage Claim Area • Guest-Meeting Area of Building B • International Departure Hall (Hours: 7:00M – the last flight)
- Terminal 2: You can find currency exchange machines (15 currencies to RMB) in the following locations • Two exchange machines are located on the southern and northern sides of the Check-In Area on the Departure Floor (3F).
Duty Free & Shopping – Duty Free shopping is available. Terminal 1 has a small selection of stores to pass the time. If you are Airside, there is a Lawson convenience shop which is open 4:30AM – the last flight time. Terminal 2, with it’s 75 plus shops, is the place to be if you enjoy shopping.
Food & Drinks – At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour food and beverage concessions available at this airport. You will find a good selection of food in both terminals. Hours: vary by restaurant but many are open from 7:00AM – 10:00PM.
Gardens – Gardens include rest areas as well as play areas for children and free internet service. Location: Next to Gate 25 and Gate 71 on M2 Departure Floor in T2.
Information Desk – If you have any questions, visit one of the information desks for assistance.
- Terminal 1: Airside, opposite Gate 2, Departures Hall • near Gate 6 of Departures Hall • center of Reception Area, Arrivals Hall. Building B, center of the Check-in Hall.
- Terminal 2: 3F, Departures Hall • Reception Area, Arrivals Hall.
Airport Ambassadors can also be found throughout the terminals.
Luggage Storage & Lockers – Storage is available in these areas:
- Terminal 1, near Gate 5, Departures Hall. Hours: Unknown.
- Terminal 2, Arrivals Hall. Hours: 8:00AM – 9:30PM.
Rates for both locations: Small bag/15-25 yuan for 0-24 hours (rates increase at the 4 and 10 hour mark; large bag/30-45 yuan for 0-24 hours; oversize bags start at 50 yuan.
Medical Services – If you are not feeling well, medical services are provided in these areas:
- Terminal 1: Near Gate T09, restricted area of International Departures; Near Gate T01, restricted area of Domestic Departures (Hours: unknown).
- Terminal 2: Provided at 3 different first-aid stations found in lounge areas on Floor 3, Transit Level M2 and the Arrival Level of Floor 1. While the hours vary, the Arrivals Area has the longest operating hours at 6:30 AM – 10:00PM.
Mobile Charging – Both terminals provide many outlets where you can charge your mobile devices. There appear to be more available Airside, check between the seats in the gated area.
Postal Services – Drop off your last minute postcards to friends and family from airport’s mailbox. Locations: Terminal 1 • Terminal 2, opposite Gate .
Rest Zones – There are no dedicated sleeping areas, quiet areas or rest zones. If this information has changed, click here to update this guide.
Showers – Not available.
Smoking Rooms – There are many designated smoking rooms in both Terminals.
A reader tells us that the Domestic Terminal is open from approx. 4:00AM – 10:00PM. We do not have details about the International Terminal.
As of February 2019, Shanghai Hongqiao airport is served by the following airlines: Air China • Air Macau • ANA • Asiana Airlines • Cathay Pacific • Chengdu Airlines • China Airlines • China Eastern • China Southern • China United • EVA Air • Hainan Airlines • Hebei Airlines • Hong Kong Airlines • Japan Airlines • Juneyao Airlines • Korean Air • Lucky Air • Shandong Airlines • Shanghai Airlines • Shenzhen Airlines • Spring Airlines • Tianjin Airlines • Tiabet Airlines • Xiamen Airlines.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Airport shuttles to terminals 1 and 2 are available. In terminal 1, the shuttle stop is in Gate 6 of the departure level. Hours: 06:00AM – 10:30PM. In terminal 2, the shuttle stop is in Gate 1 of the arrival level. Hours: 06:00AM – 11:00PM. The shuttles run every 30 minutes.
Several buses, including a night bus, serve terminals 1 and 2. Operating hours vary. The night bus operates between 10:00PM and 45 minutes after the last flight. For fares, routes and schedules, visit the Shanghai Hongqiao Airport website.
Car rental services are available onsite in Terminal 2 only. At the time of this February 2019 update, no further details are known.
Shanghai Metro Line 10 connects the city to Hongqiao Airport Terminal 1. Metro Line 2 and Line 10 connect the city to Hongqiao International Airport T2. Most trains are in operation from 6:00AM – 10:00PM. For routes, schedules and more information, visit the Shanghai Hongqiao Airport website.
Taxis are available outside the arrivals area of Terminal 1 and from Terminal 2, Arrivals Level, Gate 4 South.
Last updated: 2019-08-27
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.