Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Shanghai Hongqiao Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
At Hongqiao itself there doesn’t appear to be a place to sleep, and it’s awfully crowed anyway. – Rod
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport.
What to Expect
- A large and modern international airport with two separate terminals: Terminal 1 is used solely for international flights, and the much larger Terminal 2 is used for domestic flights. A wide variety of shops, restaurants and services are available, including some “children’s gardens”!
- WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- A reader (October 2018) tells us that he slept comfortably in Terminal 2 between the hours of 12:00AM and 10:00AM. Security patrolled the area (where there were approximately 50 other sleepers) but did not disturb anyone.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter one of the airport’s first class lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
- One reviewer noted that the taxi queue seemed ridiculously long, with a wait time of 2 hours for a taxi! If you are traveling light, consider taking the metro!
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
If sleeping in Hongqiao Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Shanghai International Airport Hotel – (5 minute walk from the airport) Adjacent to Terminal 1. Free Airport transfers are available.. Day rooms available from 6:00AM to 4:00PM for 150 RMB/2-hour block (50 RMB per additional hour over 2 hours) and include airport shuttle service. » Check Rates
- Argyle International Airport Hotel – (5 minute walk from the airport terminal) Located adjacent to Terminal 1, to the right of the Departures Level exit ramp. Airport pick-up service available. Free hourly shuttle to Terminal 2. » Check Rates
- Boyue Shanghai Hongqiao Airport Hotel – Located in Terminal 2, a corridor connects the hotel to the airport check-in area. Shuttle service to Terminal 1 available.
» Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Shanghai Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
WiFi is available at Shanghai Hongqiao Airport in all public departure and arrivals area. At the time of this update, we did not know if this was a free service. See also the Gardens section below.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
Baby Care Facilities – A nursery is located in Terminal 1, Departures B, airside, next to the postal service.
Baggage Trolleys – Need a hand with your luggage? Baggage trolleys are available free of charge.
- Terminal 1: Locations: Baggage Claim Area • Guest-Meeting Area of Building B • International Departure Hall (Hours: 7:00M – the last flight)
- Terminal 2: You can find currency exchange machines (15 currencies to RMB) in the following locations • Two exchange machines are located on the southern and northern sides of the Check-In Area on the Departure Floor (3F).
Duty Free & Shopping – Duty Free shopping is available. Terminal 1 has a small selection of stores to pass the time. If you are Airside, there is a Lawson convenience shop which is open 4:30AM – the last flight time. Terminal 2, with it’s 75 plus shops, is the place to be if you enjoy shopping.
Food & Drinks – At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour food and beverage concessions available at this airport. You will find a good selection of food in both terminals. Hours: vary by restaurant but many are open from 7:00AM – 10:00PM.
Gardens – Gardens include rest areas as well as play areas for children and free internet service. Location: Next to Gate 25 and Gate 71 on M2 Departure Floor in T2.
Information Desk – Terminal 1, Building B, center of the Check-in Hall • Terminal 2, Check-In Hall, 3F and Arrivals Hall, 1F. Airport Ambassadors can also be found throughout the terminals.
Luggage Storage & Lockers – Yes. Arrival Hall (Hours vary depending on flight times) Eastern • Transportation Center Island E (Hours: 7:00AM – 8:30PM). Rates for both locations are not known.
Medical Services – Provided at 3 different first-aid stations found in lounge areas on Floor 3, Transit Level M2 and the Arrival Level of Floor 1. While the hours vary, the Arrivals Area has the longest operating hours at 6:30 AM – 10:00PM.
Mobile Charging – Recharge your mobile devices for free on the M2 Departure Floor in Terminal 2.
Post Office – The postal service is located in Terminal 1, Departures B, airside, next to the nursery.
Rest Zones – Not available.
Showers – Not available.
Smoking Rooms – There are many designated smoking rooms in both Terminals.
A reader tells us that the Domestic Terminal is open from approx. 4:00AM – 10:00PM. We do not have details about the International Terminal.
As of February 2018, Shanghai Hongqiao airport is served by the following airlines: Air China • China Airlines • Japan Airlines • China Southern • China Eastern • Korean Air • Cathay Pacific • Xiamen Airlines • Asiana Airlines • Hainan Airlines • ANA • Sichuan Airlines • EVA Air • Hong Kong Airlines.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Airport shuttles to terminals 1 and 2 are available. In terminal 1, the shuttle stop is in Gate 6 of the departure level. Hours: 06:00AM – 10:30PM. In terminal 2, the shuttle stop is in Gate 1 of the arrival level. Hours: 06:00AM – 11:00PM. The shuttles run every 30 minutes.
Several buses, including a night bus, serve terminals 1 and 2. Operating hours vary. The night bus operates between 10:00PM and 45 minutes after the last flight. For fares, routes and schedules, visit the Shanghai Hongqiao Airport website.
Car rental services are available onsite. At the time of this January 2018 update, no further details are known.
Shanghai Metro Line 10 connects the city to Hongqiao Airport Terminal 1. Metro Line 2 and Line 10 connect the city to Hongqiao International Airport T2. Most trains are in operation from 6:00AM – 10:00PM. For routes, schedules and more information, visit the Shanghai Hongqiao Airport website.
Taxis are available from Terminal 2, Arrivals Level, Gate 4 South.
Last updated: 2018-10-29
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide, write a review or send an email to [email protected] and we will update this guide.