Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Stuttgart Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
Every five minutes a female voice was telling me not to leave my luggage unattended, in english, german and turkish. I hate her. -Barbara
June 2016 – Sleeping in this airport landside (before security) alone is discouraged. “Refugees” have recently been reported to be hanging out here.
What to Expect
Stuttgart Airport consists of four terminals that have separate entrances but are directly connected to each other. The terminals share a single airside corridor for easy security screening-free passenger transit between terminals. There are plenty of eateries and shops throughout the airport on both the airside and landside. Unfortunately, these services close down at night, which leaves vending machines as your only source of food for snacks and drinks. WiFi is available to help you pass the time. Additional comfort can be found through fee-based access to one of the airport’s first class lounges. See Airport Lounges below for locations and rates.
Where to Sleep
While airport security has a bit of a reputation for being heavy handed, Stuttgart Airport is relatively conducive to overnight sleeping, with plenty of comfortable seating and some private nooks. The security presence and passport checks may help travellers feel more secure, as refugees are said to roam the landside areas. Due to the refugee presence, some reviewers have recommended not sleeping alone. Terminal 4 has been cited as a good sleeping area due to its relative quiet and the presence of comfortable armrest-free benches. The upper level near the observation deck is also cited as a semi-private and quiet refuge. Reviewers recommend bringing earplugs/noise-cancelling headphones and extra layers and/or a travel blanket for extra comfort. Explore our guide to sleeping in Stuttgart Airport or read some traveller reviews for more tips. For uninterrupted sleep, there is a hotel opposite the Terminal 3 entrance and others nearby. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
If you are a First or Business Class traveller you may have access to the lounges listed below. For more information, check the airline’s website.
Air France Lounge (Location: Terminal 1, Airside) • British Airways Executive Club Lounge (Location: Terminal 1, Airside) • Lufthansa Senator Lounge (Location: Terminal 1, Airside) • Lufthansa Business Lounge (Location: Terminal 1, Airside, take the elevator next to Gate 173).
If sleeping in Stuttgart Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Wyndham Stuttgart Airport Messe Hotel – Located 300m from the airport terminal. No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
- Movenpick Hotel Stuttgart Airport – Located 50m walk from the airport terminal. No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
- Mercure Hotel Stuttgart Airport Messe – Free airport shuttle available on request. » Check Rates
- Ibis Stuttgart Airport Messe – (6 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle available. » Check Rates
- Star Inn Hotel Stuttgart Airport-Messe – (5 minutes from the airport) An airport shuttle is available ($). » Check Rates
- Best Western Plazahotel Stuttgart-Filderstadt – (7 minutes from the airport) An airport shuttle is available upon request for 6,00€ each way. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Stuttgart Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Stuttgart Airport for one hour. Connect to the “Airport-Free-WiFi” network.
- Post Office – Location: T3, landside, Level 3. Hours: 4:00AM – 9:00PM.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Children’s Play Area – When you want to ensure your kids burn off all their energy before their flight, take them to one of the children’s play areas. The bright and colourful Kiddie Lands come equipped with fun toys for riding, climbing and playing. Locations: T3, landside, Level 2 • T3, landside, Level 5 • T4, landside, Level 2. Hours: Open 24 hours.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules with many opening as early as 4:00AM. You will find a 24-hour McDonald’s on the airport grounds.
- Supermarket – If you are arriving and need to grab some groceries on the way home, there is an Edeka Supermarket in the airport. Location: T3, Arrivals. Hours: 6:00AM – 10:00PM.
- Travel Agencies – If you are arriving in Stuttgart and need local arrangements or help planning a really last minute trip abroad, there are a number of travel agencies with offices at the airport that can probably be of assistance. Terminal 1, Landside: City Air Travel Reisebüro. Terminal 3, Landside, Gallery: 5VOR Flug • A-Z Travel • BAB Tour Reisebüro • Bucher Last Minute • DER Touristik Airport Services • Fun Express Touristic & Air Broker • Hegenloh Reisen • L’Tur Tourismus • Neckar Travel • Reisecenter All Tours • Schauinsland Reisen • Schwabenland Reisen • SD Reisewelt • Sonnenklar TV Reisebüro • TUI Travel Star.
- Baggage Trolleys – Need a hand with your luggage? Baggage trolleys are available free of charge, but require a refundable deposit of 1 €, 50 Euro cents, 25 US cents or 1 CHF. Trolleys can be found in the parking lots, at terminal entrances and in the Baggage Reclaim area.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Self-service lockboxes are available at these rates: € 2 for a small locker, € 4 for a medium locker, € 6 for a large, XL or Ski locker. Credit cards and cash (Euros) are accepted for payment. Location: Right side of the terminal, behind the guard house.
- Luggage Wrapping – Wrap & Fly Location: T3, landside, Level 3. Hours: 5:30AM – 6:00PM. Rates: starting at 6,00€per bag.
- Medical Services – Urgent and emergency medical care is available at the Airport Medical Center. Location: T1, landside. Hours: 8:00AM – 6:00PM (Mon-Fri).
- Pharmacy – AeroAtoll is located in Terminal 2, Level 3. Hours: 8:00AM – 7:00PM.
- Mobile Charging – Readers have reported mobile device loading stations where you plug your device in and enter a 4-digit code – you can only retrieve the device if you enter the same code again. Locations: Terminal 1, airside, downstairs, gate 140 • gate 164. Standard cables are said to be available (both Apple connectors, Micro-USB and Mini-USB). Wall outlets have also been reported in the vicinity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations:
- Terminal 1: Landside, Arrivals • Airside, Level 3
- Terminal 3: Level 3, Departures
- Currency Exchange – Reisebank offers currency exchange, traveler’s checks and VAT refunds. Locations: T1, Arrivals (Hours: 7:30AM – 7:45PM) • T3, Departures (Hours: 6:00AM – 10:30AM and 11:30PM – 2:00PM Mon – Fri only).
- Chapel – Church services are provided for travelers in Terminal 3, landside, Level 2. Hours: 9:00AM – 5:00PM.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Massage Chairs – Location: T3, landside, Level 2. Hours: Open 24 hours. Rate: unknown.
- Rest Zones – There are no dedicated sleeping areas, quiet areas or rest zones. If this information has changed, click here to update this guide.
- Duty Free & Shopping – Travel Value & Duty-Free Shop offers duty-free shopping in three locations: T1, airside, Level 3 • T3, airside, Level 3 • T4, airside, Level 2. Hours: 5:00AM – 11:00PM. A variety of retail shops are also available throughout the airport.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Hair Salon – The Hair Club provides haircuts and services. Location: T3, Airside. Hours: 6:30AM – 9:00PM.
- Showers – A reviewer tells us there are showers located next to the Airport Bus Terminal, a 5-minute walk from the airport. Fee to use is 2 euros for a very limited time.
- Spa & Salon Services – La Biosthetique Styling Lounge. Location: T1, landside, Level 2. Hours: 8:00AM – 8:00PM.
- Smokers’ Lounge – All visitors and travelers who are landside must smoke in designated areas outside of the front of the terminal. Once travelers go airside, there are two ventilated smokers’ lounges available. Locations: T1, airside, Gate level 3 • T4, airside, Gate level 2.
Things to do & see
- Airport Tours – Find out what happens at the airport during a behind-the-scenes airport tour. Bookings must be done in advance starting in June. Days: Wednesdays and Saturdays during the summer months. Departure Time: 10:30AM. Tour Duration: 90 minutes. Rates: 7 € per adult / 3.50 € per child.
- Arcade – Pass the time playing the slots at Fair Play airport casino. Locations: T3, landside, Level 2 (Hours: 6:00AM – 12:00AM) • T4, landside, Level 3 (Hours: 6:00AM – 12:00AM).
- Observation Deck – Enjoy the panoramic views from atop the Visitor’s Terrace. Seating is available. Location: T3, landside, Level 5. Hours: 8:00AM – 9:00PM (April – September) and 9:00AM – 7:00PM (October – March).
Other Airport Services & Facilities
- Shoe Repair – Break a heel or need a key cut? Head to the Schuh and Schlüssel Service Center, Terminal 3, Landside, Level 2. Hours: 7:00AM – 7:00PM.
The airport is open 24 hours.
As of July 2019, Stuttgart airport is served by the following airlines: Adria • Aegean Airlines • Aeroflot • Air Baltic • Air Cairo • Air Serbia • Air France • Ais Airlines • Alba Star • Alitalia • ALK Airlines • Almasria Universal • Atlas Global • Austrian Airlines • BH Air • Blue Air • Blue Islands • British Airways • Bulgarian Air Charter • Condor • Corendon Airlines • Delta • Eastern Airways • easyJet • Ellinair • Eurowings • Finnair • Fly2Sky • Flybe • Freebird • Iberia Express • Israir • KLM • Laudamotion • LOT • Lufthansa • Luxair • Nesma Airlines • Nouvelair • Olympus Airways • Onurair • Orange2Fly • Pegasus • SAS • Sundair • SunExpress • Swiss • Tailwind • TAP Portugal • TUIFly • Turkish Airlines • Twin Jet • Volotea • Vueling.
The Stuttgart Airport Busterminal (SAB) is located directly between Flughafenstrasse and Terminal 4 of Stuttgart Airport. It is located at ground level beneath the newly built P14 car garage. The three lanes include a total of 18 bus platforms, with platforms 1 to 3 serving regional transport. National and international long-distance bus services leave from platforms 4 to 18, along with non-scheduled Services. For fares, routes and schedules, visit the Stuttgart Airport website.
The following car rental agencies are located onsite in Terminal 3 (Level 2): Avis, Buchbinder, Budget, Enterprise, Europcar, Global Drive, Hertz/Thrifty and Sixt.
Taxis are readily available 24 hours a day outside of Terminal 1, Departures Level. Total one-way trip time to the city centre is about 20 minutes.
S-Bahn commuter trains S2 and S3 connect the airport with Stuttgart Central Railway Station (Hauptbahnhof), running from around 5:00AM to just after Midnight. Departures are available every 10 – 20 minutes on weekdays, and every 30 minutes on weekends. There is an S-Bahn station on Level 1 of Terminal 1. For fare and route information, visit the VVS Transit website.
From Hauptbahnhof, passengers can change to or from the numerous Deutsche Bahn, ICE, EC and IC high-speed trains traveling to Baden-Württemberg and beyond. For Deutsche Bahn train timetables, routes and fares, visit the Deutsche Bahn website.
Last updated: 2019-08-15
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.