Cape Town Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Cape Town Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Plenty of quiet areas with few overnight passengers as they don't have late flights.
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at Cape Town Airport.
What to Expect
- New, modern airport, divided into domestic and international terminals that are easily walkable.
- Most flights are regional, so there aren’t middle-of-the-night departures, which keeps this airport pretty quiet.
- Generally friendly to the few overnight travellers.
- The airport is open 24-hours, but security closes by 10 or 11pm, and reopens around 4am.
- Most restaurants close by 9pm, so grab food ahead of time.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- The viewing deck is open all night, with rows of cushioned benches and no armrests (Traveller, January 2015).
- The layout is inviting, so wander around to find some privacy.
- Lights are on through the night, so bring an eye mask.
- Plenty of chairs though most have armrests.
- For uninterrupted sleep, a new hotel is located directly at the airport, with several others nearby. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below for more info.
Good to Know
- Economy class travelers can buy a pass and relax in one of two airport lounges - the one in International Terminal has showers. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for location and hours.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Cape Town Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Cape Town airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Bidvest Premium Lounge (Domestic) - Location: Domestic Terminal, airside, 4th floor. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Book Online (£20 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
- Bidvest Premium Lounge (International) - Location: International Terminal, airside, mezzanine, 3rd level. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Book Online (£20 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
If sleeping at the Cape Town Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Road Lodge Cape Town International Airport - Located within the airport grounds. They do not offer day rooms or airport shuttle.
- Hotel Verde Cape Town Airport - (9 min walk from the airport) Located just 400m from the airport. Free airport shuttle service available daily from 4:00AM to Midnight. Airport shuttle depart every 30 minutes in accordance to bookings. This hotel has a “missed flight” special for a discounted overnight stay and a “freshening up” package for those who don’t need an overnight stay but wish to have access to the hotel’s restaurants, gym, eco-pool, jogging trail, free WIFI, showers, towels, luggage storage, and free airport shuttle service both ways.
- Afro Chic Guest House - (14 min from the airport) Airport transfers can be arranged through the hotel ($).
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Cape Town Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Cape Town for up to 4 hours or 1GB, whichever comes first. Connect to the “Airports@Vast” network. Registration requires an email address and contact number.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Locations: Domestic Arrivals, Domestic Departures, International Departures.
- Baby Care - Baby Changing facilities are available in most women's washrooms.
- Banking - Yes
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Children's Play Areas - Yes. Location: unknown.
- Currency Exchange - Locations: Domestic Departures, International Departures, International Arrivals.
- Duty-Free & Shopping - Duty-free shopping is available airside in both terminals, and also in International Arrivals baggage claim area.
- Food & Drinks - At the time of this update it was not known if there are any 24 hour food concessions available.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Baggage can be stored at A-Teck. Location: Ground floor, Parkade 2.
- Mobile Phone Rental - Vodafone’s Vodashop Rent A Fone offers rental service. Location: Airside, Domestic Arrivals
- Observation Deck - Available. Location: unknown
- Pharmacy - Link Pharmacy Location: Landside, Central Terminal Building
- Post Office - Location: Parkade 2, Ground Floor, past the Permit Office and SAPS offices. Hours: 8:00AM - 4:30PM (Thurs - Tues) 8:30AM - 4:30PM (Wed).
- Prayer Room - A chapel/prayer room is available. Ask one of the airport employees to assist you with directions.
- Salon Services - Yemaya Express Nail Bar is located airside in Domestic Departures. Express Hair & Skin Capetown is also located in the Domestic Terminal.
- Showers - Showers are available in the Bidvest Lounges [ see Airport Lounges above ]
- Smokers Lounge - Location: International Terminal, Airside. Internet access is available here.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Avis • Europcar • First/Sixt • Budget • Hertz • Tempest car rental counters are open 24-hours. Woodford • Dollar • Thrifty • Capital are closed from 11:00PM - 5:00AM or 7:30AM (depending on car company). Location: International and Domestic Arrivals.
MyCiti Bus #A01 runs between the airport and the Civic Center, located on Hertzog Boulevard. Visit the MyCiti Web Site to plan your trip.
Shuttle buses operate from airport to Cape Town city center and other destinations in the Western Cape. The shuttles depart from the international inner lane.
As of our August 2015 update, the airport is recommending that arrival passengers use "Touch Down Taxis", the only officially authorized taxi service provider.
Last Updated: 07 September 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.