Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Cape Town Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
Plenty of quiet areas with few overnight passengers as they don’t have late flights. – tcdragon
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us about their time at Cape Town International Airport.
What to Expect
Cape Town International Airport is a new, modern facility with a domestic and an international terminal linked by a central check-in terminal building. The facility uses the common split level design with arrivals located on the lower floors and departures on the upper. Dining, retail and service options are located both airside and landside throughout the airport. Most restaurants close by 9PM, so grab food ahead of time. Things to do at Cape Town Airport are limited, but the free WiFi helps pass some time. Economy class travellers can buy a pass and relax in one of the airport lounges, with at least one offering showers. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for location and hours.
Where to Sleep
The airport has plenty of seating, but most chairs include armrests. The viewing deck, with rows of cushioned benches with no armrests, is reportedly open all night. While generally quiet at night, the lights stay on throughout the night, so consider eyeshade. Staff and security are generally thought to be tolerant of overnight sleepers, but there have been reports of rude personnel. For uninterrupted sleep there is a hotel located at the airport and some others nearby. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below for more info.
Good to Know
The airport is open 24-hours, but security closes by 10PM or 11PM, and reopens around 4AM.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Passes Bidvest Premier Lounge (International) – Location: International Terminal, Airside, Mezzanine, 3rd level. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
Passes Bidvest Premier Lounge (Domestic) – Location: Domestic Terminal, airside, 4th floor. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
If sleeping at the Cape Town Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Road Lodge Cape Town International Airport – Located within the airport grounds. They do not offer day rooms or airport shuttle. » Check Rates
- Hotel Verde Cape Town Airport – (2 minutes from the airport) Located just 400m from the airport. Free airport shuttle is available daily from 4:00AM to Midnight. Airport shuttle depart every 30 minutes in accordance to bookings. This hotel has a “missed flight” special for a discounted overnight stay and a “freshening up” package for those who don’t need an overnight stay but wish to have access to the hotel’s restaurants, gym, eco-pool, jogging trail, free WIFI, showers, towels, luggage storage, and free airport shuttle. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Cape Town Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Cape Town Airport for up to 4 hours or 1GB, whichever comes first. Connect to the “Airports Free” network. Registration requires an email address and contact number. Once you have reached the maximum (hours or data) you may purchase additional service.
- Mobile Phone Rental – Vodafone’s Vodashop Rent A Fone offers rental service. Location: Airside, Domestic Arrivals
- Post Office – Location: Parkade 2, Ground Floor, past the Permit Office and SAPS offices. Hours: 8:00AM – 4:30PM (Thurs – Tues) 8:30AM – 4:30PM (Wed).
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – Baby Changing facilities are available in most women’s washrooms.
- Children’s Play Areas – When you want to ensure your kids burn off all their energy before their flight, take them to the children’s play area. Location: unknown.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – At the time of this update it was not known if there are any 24 hour food concessions available. There are plenty of options available both Landside and Airside.
- Information Desk – An Information Desk is available in Domestic Arrivals. Hours: 24 hours.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Baggage can be stored at A-Teck. Location: Ground floor, Parkade 2.
- Luggage Wrapping – Available at A-Teck for a fee. Location: Ground floor, Parkade 2
- Pharmacy – Link Pharmacy Location: Landside, Central Terminal Building
- Mobile Charging – At the time of this update, we did not have any information about mobile charging availability. If you know, click here to update this airport guide.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs can be found throughout the airport in the areas listed below. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Domestic Arrivals • Domestic Departures • International Arrivals • International Departures • Central Terminal.
- Currency Exchange – Currency exchange kiosks are located in the following areas: Domestic Arrivals baggage claim area • Domestic Departures (landside) • International Departures (landside and airside near Duty-Free) • International Arrivals • Central Terminal.
- Prayer Room – A chapel/prayer room is available. Ask one of the airport employees to assist you with directions.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – Not available.
- Duty-Free & Shopping – Duty-free shopping is available airside in International Departures, and landside in the International Arrivals baggage claim area. In addition, a variety of retail shops are available throughout the airport.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Salon Services – Yemaya Express Nail Bar is located airside in Domestic Departures • Gloss is located in the Central Terminal Building • Express Hair & Skin is located in the Domestic Terminal.
- Showers – Showers are available in the Bidvest Lounges [ see Airport Lounges above ]
- Spa – unknown
- Smokers Lounge – Location: International Terminal, Airside. Internet access is available here.
The airport is open 24 hours.
As of March 2018, Cape Town airport is served by the following airlines: Air Austral • Air Botswana • Air China • Air France • Air Madagascar • Air Mauritius • Air Namibia • Air Seychelles • Air Zimbabwe • SA Airlink • Arik Air • British Airways • Cathay Pacific Airways • Cemair • Delta Airlines • Egypt Air • Emirates • Ethiopian Airlines • Etihad Airways • Fastjet • FlySafair • Kenya Airways • KLM • Korongo Airlines • LAM Mozambique Airlines • Lufthansa • Mango Airlines • Malawian Airlines • Qantas Airways • Qatar Airways • RwandAir • Singapore • Airlines • Saudi Arabian Airlines • Solenta Aviation • South African Airways • Swiss • TAAG • Angola Airlines • Turkish Airlines • Thai Airways • Virgin Atlantic Airways • Fly Blue Crane.
The following car rental companies have offices onsite: Avis • Bidvest • Capital • Dollar Europcar • First • Hertz • Tempest • Thrifty • Woodford. Many of the offices are open 24 hours, plan ahead.
MyCiti Bus #A01 runs between the airport and the Civic Center, located on Hertzog Boulevard. Visit the MyCiti Web Site to plan your trip.
Shuttle buses operate from airport to Cape Town city center and other destinations in the Western Cape. The shuttles depart from the international inner lane.
As of our January 2018 update, the airport is recommending that arrival passengers use “Touch Down Taxis”, the only officially authorized taxi service provider.
Last updated: 2018-10-23
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.