Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or are just quickly passing through, our Cape Town Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
Plenty of quiet areas with few overnight passengers as they don’t have late flights. – tcdragon
CPT Airport Overview
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Cape Town International Airport.
What to Expect
Cape Town Airport (Code: CPT) is a new, modern facility with a domestic and an international terminal linked by a central check-in terminal building. The facility uses the typical split-level design, with arrivals on the lower floors and departures on the upper. Dining, retail and service options are airside and landside throughout the airport. Most restaurants close by 9:00 PM, so grab food ahead of time. Things to do at Cape Town Airport are limited, but the free WiFi helps pass some time. Economy class travellers can buy a pass and relax in one of the airport lounges, which also offer showers. See Airport Lounges in the guide below for location and hours.
Sleeping in Cape Town Airport
CPT airport has plenty of seating, but most chairs include armrests. The viewing deck, with rows of cushioned benches with no armrests, is reportedly open all night. While generally quiet at night, the lights stay on throughout the night, so consider eyeshade. Staff and security are generally thought to tolerate overnight sleepers, but there have been reports of rude personnel. For uninterrupted sleep, a hotel is located at the airport, and others are nearby. See Airport Hotels in the guide below, or read traveller reviews for more tips.
Good to Know
The airport is open 24 hours, but security closes by 10:00 PM or 11:00 PM and reopens around 4:00 AM.
To help us keep this guide up-to-date, you can add or update information or write a review to submit airport tips and photos. You can also visit the airport’s website for current information. For more airport information, continue scrolling down to explore more in our Cape Town Airport Guide.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security. For more information on Europe’s Schengen Area, click here.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
- Bidvest Premier Lounge (Domestic) – Location: Airside, 4th floor. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge pass • Lounge membership programs.
- SLOW Lounge (Domestic) – Location: International Terminal, Airside. Lounge Access: Exclusively for FNB and RMB card bank holders. The lounge is affiliated with KLM, Delta and Air France.
- Bidvest Premier Lounge (International) – Location: Airside, Mezzanine, 3rd level. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge pass • Lounge membership programs.
- Commercial Sky Lounge – Location: Airside. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Prepaid lounge pass • Lounge membership programs.
If you are a First or Business Class traveller you may have access to the lounges listed below. For more information, check the airline’s website.
Domestic Terminal, Airside: SAA Voyager Platinum Lounge • British Airways Terraces Lounge.
International Terminal, Airside: SAA Voyager Platinum Lounge • British Airways Terraces Lounge.
Related Pages: Cape Town Airport Lounges
If sleeping in the airport sounds like a nightmare, there are hotels near Cape Town Airport:
- Road Lodge Cape Town International Airport – Located within the airport grounds. They do not offer day rooms or an airport shuttle. » Check Rates
- Hotel Verde Cape Town Airport – Located just 400m from the airport. Free airport shuttle from the airport to the hotel is available from 4:00AM – 00:00PM. The shuttle departs every 30 minutes from Parkade 2 (P2). Day rooms are available from 6:00AM to 8:00PM. » Check Rates
For more options, visit Tripadvisor to see a list of hotels near Cape Town Airport that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Cape Town Airport for up to 4 hours or 1GB, whichever comes first. Connect to the “Airports Free” network. Registration requires an email address and contact number. Once you have reached the maximum (hours or data) you may purchase additional service.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
- Mobile Phone Rental – Vodafone’s Vodashop Rent A Phone offers rental service. Location: Airside, Domestic Arrivals.
- Post Office – No longer available.
- SIM Cards – A reader has asked us to include where to buy SIM Cards. If you know, click here to update this airport guide.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – Baby Changing facilities are available in most women’s washrooms.
- Children’s Play Areas – When you want to ensure your kids burn off all their energy before their flight, take them to the children’s play area. Location: unknown.
- Fitness – The Hotel Verde Cape Town Airport offers a refresh package to non-guests which includes access to showers, pool, gym and walking trails, luggage storage, and more. [ see Airport Hotels above ]
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – At the time of this update it was not known if there are any 24 hour food concessions available. There are plenty of options available both Landside and Airside.
- Information Desk – If you have any questions, visit the airport information desk for assistance! Locations: Domestic Arrivals. Hours: 24 hours.
- Luggage Porters – Porters work for tips only. The airport recommends a tip of R20 per each piece of luggage.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Baggage can be stored at A-Teck. Location: Ground floor, Parkade 2.
- Luggage Wrapping – Protect your bags from theft and damage by having your bags wrapped in plastic.Available at A-Teck for a fee. Location: Ground floor, Parkade 2.
- Pharmacy – Link Pharmacy Location: Landside, Central Terminal Building
- Mobile Charging – A reader tells us that mobile charging is available at Cape Town Airport. It does not appear to be widely available, but one location is in front of the food corner on the -1 floor.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs can be found throughout the airport in the areas listed below. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Domestic Arrivals • Domestic Departures • International Arrivals • International Departures • Central Terminal.
- Currency Exchange – Currency exchange kiosks are located in the following areas: Domestic Arrivals baggage claim area • Domestic Departures (landside) • International Departures (landside and airside near Duty-Free) • International Arrivals • Central Terminal.
- Prayer Room – A chapel/prayer room is available. Ask one of the airport employees to assist you with directions.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – There are no dedicated sleeping areas, quiet areas or rest zones. If this information has changed, click here to update this guide.
- Duty-Free & Shopping – Duty-free shopping is available airside in International Departures, and landside in the International Arrivals baggage claim area. In addition, a variety of retail shops are available throughout the airport.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Salon Services – Yemaya Express Nail Bar is located airside in Domestic Departures • Gloss is located in the Central Terminal Building • Express Hair & Skin is located in the Domestic Terminal.
- Showers – Showers are available in the Bidvest Lounges and in the Commercial Sky Lounge [ see Airport Lounges above ]. Showers are also available in the Hotel Verde Cape Town Airport as part of their refresh package. [ see Airport Hotels above ]
- Smokers Lounge – Location: International Terminal, Airside. Internet access is available here.
The airport is open 24-hours, but security closes by 10:00PM or 11:00PM, and reopens around 4:00AM.
Cape Town airport is served by the following airlines: Air Botswana • Air France • Air Link • British Airways • Cemair • Condor • Edelweiss • Emirates • Ethiopian Airlines • KLM • Kulula Airlines • Kenya Airways • Lift • Lufthansa • Mango Airlines • Qatar Airways • RwandAir • Singapore Airlines • FlySafair • TAAG Angola Airlines • Turkish Airlines • Virgin Atlantic Airways • West Air.
The following car rental companies have offices onsite: Avis • Bidvest Car Rental • Capital • Europcar • First • Hertz • Tempest • Thrifty • Woodford. Most of the offices are open 24 hours.
See also Airport Hotels above.
MyCiti Bus #A01 runs between the airport and the Civic Center, located on Hertzog Boulevard. Visit the MyCiti Web Site to plan your trip.
Uber operates throughout South Africa. A ride to the city centre will cost you about ZAR 180.
Shuttle buses operate from the airport to Cape Town city centre and other destinations in the Western Cape. The shuttles depart from the international inner lane.
As of our September 2023 update, Cape Town Airport has accredited taxis connecting the terminals to all nearby major towns and suburbs.
Last updated: 2024-01-31
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, is subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers, and their websites. We are not representatives of any of the above-mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.