Johannesburg International Airport
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Johannesburg Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Places to sleep, all in terminal B, domestic. Arrival floor (ground floor) lots of benches consisting of 4 padded seats, together about 2,2 meter long. - savan
"I had to wait 26 hours in O.R.Tambo, Jo burg.
Places to sleep, all in terminal B, domestic.
Arrival floor ( ground floor ) lots of benches consisting of 4 padded seats, together about 2,2 meter long.
If you go up 1 floor to the restaurants, they close at around 22 30 until 05 00 I have been told, after which you probably might use the soft benches to sleep.
I did choose the 2e floor, domestic departures.
In the middle of the hall, in front of the viewing platform which is 1 floor up , are 4 benches ( same as the ground floor) but they are much quieter, as the first people arriving to depart do that at around 04 30.
There are no announcements, its very quiet although a security guard asked my booking papers which I did not have ( showed my passport ) around 0030.
I slept here from 2100 until 0600, from 1000 until 1400 and 1600 until 1900 surrounded by people and even in the daytime security guards would not bother me. Toilets are 200 meter away.
With a sleeping bag you can use the viewing platform too, but there you might be alone."
Have you been to Johannesburg Airport recently? Tell us about it!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- Bidvest International Departures Lounge - Location: Terminal A, Upper Mezzanine Level, International Departures, Airside. Showers are available. Hours: Open 24 hours. Lounge Access: £20 per person (online) to guarantee that you have a seat. » book lounge
- Bidvest International Kopano Lounge - Location: Terminal B, Airside, Upper Mezzanine Level, International Departures. Hours: 5am - 9pm.
- Bidvest Domestic Departures Lounge - Location: 3rd Floor, Domestic Departures Hall. Lounge Access: £20.00 per person ( online) to guarantee that you have a seat. » book lounge
- Bidvest Domestic Departures Sky Lounge- Location: Domestic Departures Hall, Airside, 4th Floor, . Hours: 5am - 9pm (Mon - Fri) • 6am - 9pm (Sat - Sun). Lounge Access: £20.00 per person (online). » book lounge
- Menzies Aviation Shongololo Lounge - Location: International Terminal A, Airside. Showers are available. Hours: 7am - 10pm. Lounge Access: £24.00 per person (online)
- Mashonza Lounge - Location: Terminal A, International, Airside. Hours: 7am - 10pm. Lounge Access: £24.00 per person for 4 hours ( online)
WiFi is available at the Johannesburg Airport for a fee. The internet provider is "AlwaysOn".
If sleeping at the Johannesburg Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels inside and near the airport....
- Protea Hotel Transit - Located in the transit area of the hotel. No Visa is required. To access the hotel, do not clear customs. Upon exiting your flight, follow the signs towards the International Transfers Area. Day rooms are available for 6 to 12 hours.
- Intercontinental Hotel - located within an easy walk from the International Arrivals Hall. Day rooms are available 9am-5pm.
- Protea Hotel - a free airport shuttle is available from 430am - 11pm every 30 minutes. The bus terminal is located behind the Intercontinental Hotel. Look for the bus that has "ITOURS" in green. There will be a notice board on the passenger side that says "PH OR Tambo".
- Terrylin Guesthouse & Backpackers Hostel - transfers can be arranged on request
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Johannesburg Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Locations: food court area next to Wimpy and Spur • on the retail level in the bank area • in Terminal A departures (next to Wandie’s restaurant) • Terminal A arrivals • next to Khulula/BA/Comair ticket sales
- Car Rentals - Avis • Budget • Europcar • First Car Rental • Hertz • National • National Alamo • Thrifty. Location: multi-storey parkade, opposite the Domestic terminal.
- Chapel / Prayer Room - The airport has a Christian Chapel (Terminal B, level 2, open 24 hours) and Muslim Prayer Room (Terminal A, Arrivals, Basement, open 24 hours).
- Children's Play Areas - Information not available
- Currency Exchange - Bidvest bank, Master Currency and Travelex are located in Terminal A (Arrivals).
- Food & Drinks - At the time of this update it was not known if there are any 24 hour food concessions available at the airport.
- Information Desk - Information kiosks are can be found in Terminal A (International Arrivals and Departures) and Terminal B (Domestic Arrivals).
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Information not available
- Observation Deck - There are two public viewing decks available: Domestic Terminal (Terminal B) and International Terminal (Terminal A, 4th floor)
- Showers - Available in the Bidvest Lounge. [ see airport lounges above ]
The airport is open 24 hours. Do you know the security checkpoint hours? email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have questions about this airport that are not answered here or in the airport reviews, post a question on our Facebook Page. If you post a question, remember to mention the airport or nobody will understand what you are asking about.
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Johannesburg Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2015 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2014.
- Submit your Airport Review - Register to submit your airport review or simply email your annonymous review to me and I will add it to the database.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Johannesburg Travel Resources
- Johannesburg Hotel Deals - compare rates, check availability and read reviews
Last Updated: 20 February 2014
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you du ring your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.