Johannesburg Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Johannesburg Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Places to sleep, all in terminal B, domestic. Arrival floor (ground floor) lots of benches consisting of 4 padded seats, together about 2,2 meter long. - savan
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at Johannesburg Airport.
What to Expect
- Fairly new airport that is large and busy, but easy to navigate; open 24-hours.
- There are two terminals, A and B, both easily connected on Landside and Airside.
- Flights depart around the clock, so there are always travellers around with many spending the night.
- Staff and facilities are friendly to sleepers.
- Restaurants close by 11pm, but look for the Woolworth’s on the ground floor to grab food for your stay.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Quiet, more secluded spots are on the departure level of Terminal B (easily connected to Terminal A).
- Many padded benches with no armrests.
- Look for the ‘Unaccompanied Minors’ lounge in Terminal B for quiet privacy (Traveller, June 2015).
- Restaurants in Terminal B generally close by 11pm, and some travellers have had success sleeping on their benches.
- Plenty of chairs though most have armrests.
- The floors are not carpeted, so come prepared with an extra layer.
- Safe overall, with some travellers reporting security guard check-ins during the night.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there is a transit hotel inside the airport and several hotels nearby that provide an airport shuttle. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below for more info.
Good to Know
- Economy class travelers can buy a pass to many airport lounges; several have showers. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for location and hours.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Johannesburg Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Johannesburg airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Ses'fikile Lounge - Location: Arrivals Terminal, Airside. Showers are available. Hours: 6:00AM - 7:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Book Online (£20).
- Bidvest Premier Lounge (Domestic) - Location: Domestic Terminal B, Airside. Hours: 5:00AM - 9:00PM (Mon - Fri) • 6:00AM - 9:00PM (Sun - Sun). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (165R) • Book Online (£20).
- Bidvest Sky Lounge - Location: Domestic Terminal B, Airside, 4th Floor. Hours: 5:00AM - 9:00PM (Mon - Fri) • 6:00AM - 9:00PM (Sat - Sun). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (165R) • Book Online (£20).
- Bidvest Premier Lounge (International) - Location: International Terminal A, Upper Mezzanine Level, International Departures, Airside. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (265R) • Book Online (£20).
- Mashonzha Lounge - Location: International Terminal A, Airside. Hours: 7:00AM - 10:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online (£24).
- Shongololo Lounge - Location: International Terminal A, Airside. Showers are available. Hours: 6:00AM - 10:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Book Online (£24).
Free WiFi is available at Johannesburg Airport for 30 minutes. The internet provider is "AlwaysOn". There are also several Internet cafes that travellers can pay to use if they are not travelling with their laptops or mobile devices.
If sleeping at the Johannesburg Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels inside and near the airport:
- Protea Hotel Transit OR Tambo Airport - Located in the International Terminal. No visa is required. As you exit the plane, follow the signs for “International Transfers” into the transit lounge, pass through security, and walk straight to find the hotel entrance. To access the hotel, do not clear customs. Rooms are available for overnight stay, or for day use of 6 hour blocks from 6:00AM to 6:00PM. [ more hotel info ]
- Intercontinental Hotel Johannesburg OR Tambo Airport - A luxury hotel located just 70m (within an easy walk) from the front of International Arrivals Hall. Follow the signs for Short Term Parking and then you’ll see signs for the hotel. Day rooms are available from 9:00AM to 5:00PM.
- Southern Sun OR Tambo Airport - Located just 500m from the airport. Free 24-hr airport shuttle runs every 15 minutes. Airport pick-up is behind the Intercontinental Hotel at the bus/shuttle terminal. From the International/Domestic terminals, follow the “Public Transport” signs until you see the shuttle terminal.
- City Lodge Hotel at OR Tambo International Airport - Located above multi-story Parkade 2, level 5 at the airport.
- Protea Hotel - (5 min from the airport) A free airport shuttle is available from 4:30AM - 11:00PM every 30 minutes. The bus terminal is located behind the Intercontinental Hotel. Look for the bus that has "ITOURS" in green. There will be a notice board on the passenger side that says "PH OR Tambo".
- Terrylin Guesthouse & Backpackers Hostel - (5 min from the airport) Airport transfers available ($).
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Johannesburg Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Locations: food court area next to Wimpy and Spur • on the retail level in the bank area • in Terminal A departures (next to Wandie’s restaurant) • Terminal A arrivals • next to Khulula/BA/Comair ticket sales
- Baby Care - Baby-changing facilities are provided in most women's washrooms.
- Car Rentals - Avis • Budget • Europcar • First Car Rental • Hertz • National • National Alamo • Tempest • Thrifty. Location: multi-storey parkade, opposite the Domestic terminal.
- Chapel / Prayer Room - The airport has a Christian Chapel (Terminal B, level 2, open 24 hours) and Muslim Prayer Room (Terminal A, Arrivals, Basement, open 24 hours).
- Currency Exchange - Bidvest bank, Master Currency and Travelex are located in Terminal A (Arrivals).
- Food & Drinks - At the time of this update it was not known if there are any 24 hour food concessions available at the airport.
- Information Desk - Information kiosks are can be found in Terminal A (International Arrivals and Departures) and Terminal B (Domestic Arrivals).
- Medical Care - First Aid, emergency care, immunizations and other services are provided at the Travel Clinic. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Observation Deck - There are two public viewing decks available: Domestic Terminal (Terminal B) and International Terminal (Terminal A, 4th floor)
- Post Office - Location: International Arrivals Terminal.
- Showers - Available in the Bidvest, Ses'fikile and Shongolo Lounges. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
The airport is open 24 hours.
Information not available
Last Updated: 23 October 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.