Nairobi Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Nairobi Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Took a gamble and decided to stay o/night in transit from Uganda to Joburg. Felt v safe, no-one hassled me, a woman on my own. - CharlieBeau
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at Nairobi Airport.
What to Expect
- A brand new airport with modern, clean amenities. Jomo Kenyatta Airport was rebuilt after a major fire in 2013.
- Two terminals: T1 is broken into 1A, 1B, 1C, and 1E for international flights. 1D is used for domestic flights. T2 houses primarily low-cost carriers.
- Some travellers report great experiences with staff, and others report being asking for bribes.
- Very few eateries and shops, and what’s there closes early. Grab food ahead of time.
- Temperatures fluctuate from "freezer" to "sauna" setting.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Head to the napping room at Gate 17 for a blanket and free shower! The lights are dimmed too.
- For uninterrupted sleep, several hotels are located nearby. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class travellers can buy a pass and relax in one of two airport lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Nairobi Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Nairobi Airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Aspire Lounge - Location: Terminal 1B, Airside, opposite Gate 10. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door ($30).
- Turkish Airlines Star Alliance Lounge - Location: Terminal 1E, Airside, After Gate 3. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door ($45) • Book Online (£27.00)
- Mara Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, Airside, Level 1. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Book Online (£20.00 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
- Mount Kenya Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, Airside, Level 1. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Book Online (£18.00 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
WiFi is available at Nairobi Airport for a fee.
If sleeping in Nairobi Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Airport View Plaza Hotel - (5 minute from the airport) Located adjacent to the airport. No airport shuttle. Day rates available.
- Nairobi Airport Stop Over House - (10 minute from the airport) 24-hr airport transfers available.
- Nairobi Airport Hotel - (10 minute from the airport) Free airport transfers are available 24-hrs a day on request. Day rooms are available starting at $60.00USD and can be used from 9:00AM - 8:00PM.
- Fahari Gardens Hotel - (8 minute from the airport) Airport shuttle service available ($).
- The Lazizi Premiere - (5 minute drive from the airport) No shuttle available.
- 67 Airport Hotel - (15 minute drive from the airport) Free airport transfers.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Nairobi Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Yes
- Business Centre - Yes
- Car Rentals - Yes.
- Children's Play Areas - Yes
- Currency Exchange - Yes
- Food & Drinks - Yes: Bars & Restaurants
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Yes
- Prayer Room - Yes
- Showers - No
The airport is open 24 hours.
Information not available
Last Updated: 07 September 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.