Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Bangkok Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I had to spend a few nights at BKK recently after losing my passport and i have to say, next time, id CHOOSE to stay there. - gentmartin
photo credit: Roger Price / Wikipedia
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport.
What to Expect
- Suvarnabhumi is the larger of two Bangkok airports, and serves as the primary international airport, with connections from around the world.
- A relatively new, beautiful and modern airport, reminiscent of a giant space station. Is single terminal is one of the biggest terminals in the world - making it a little confusing to navigate through. Restrooms are clean, but few and far between. One reviewer suggests using the restroom before heading down the concourse to your gate, as restrooms are not easily accessible airside.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Busy airport with many overnight travellers but the airport is sleep-friendly with good amount of seating and some private, quieter spots.
- Visit the Observation Deck on the 4th floor (follow signs for Airline Passenger Services) for less air conditioning, so you won’t be cold at night. It’s a quiet area with a few semi-comfortable benches.
- On B floor, there are a few quiet seats next to the Subway and 7-Eleven; these fill up quickly.
- Also on B floor, many folks gather under the stairways for quiet - but the floor is cold so have something to lie on. (This is the entry for the local train, which is closed from 1-6am so it’s quieter here.)
- The area near the International Zone’s prayer room has comfortable couches (Traveller, February 2016).
- Another great spot is the 7th floor observation deck, a preferred spot for airport staff. It’s quiet, safe, and has a power outlet or two!
- A popular spot is in the basement. There are quiet areas between Doors 7 to 10.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are sleep boxes and a transit hotel inside the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- There’s free drinking water near most bathrooms.
- Showers are available in a few of the paid lounges.
- Economy class travelers can buy a pass and relax in several airport lounges; showers are available in some. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Bangkok Suvaranbhumi Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Bangkok airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Miracle First Class Lounge - Location: International Terminal, Airside, Concourse A, Airside, Block 2, Level 3 (East Side). Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online (£29 - up to 3 hours or £60 - up to 5 hours)
- Miracle First Class Lounge - Location: International Terminal, Airside, Concourse C, Airside, Level 3 (East Side). Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online (£29 - up to 3 hours or £60 - up to 5 hours )
- Miracle First Class Lounge - Location: International Terminal, Airside, Concourse D, Airside, Level 3, opposite Gate D6. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online (£29 - up to 3 hours or £60 - up to 5 hours )
- Oman First & Business Class Lounge - Location: International Terminal, Airside, Concourse E, Airside, Level 3 (West Side). Showers are available. Hours: vary. Lounge Access: Book Online (£20 - up to 3 hours - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
- Air France KLM SkyLounge - Location: International Terminal, Airside, Concourse F, 3rd Floor, near Gate F2. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Book Online (£22 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
- Miracle First Class Lounge - Location: International Terminal, Airside, Concourse F, Level 3 (West Side). Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online
- Miracle First Class Lounge - Location: International Terminal, Airside, Concourse G, Airside, Level 3 (West Side). Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online (£29 - up to 3 hours or £60 - up to 5 hours )
- Miracle First Class Lounge - Location: International Terminal, Airside, Concourse G, Airside, Level 3 (West Side), opposite Gate 2. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online
- Miracle First Class Lounge - Location: International Terminal, Airside, Concourse G, Airside, Level 4 (West Side), opposite Gate 2. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Book Online (£29 - up to 3 hours or £60 - up to 5 hours) • Pay at the Door
Free WiFi is available at Suvarnabhumi Airport for up to 2 hours per day. Connect to the “.@ AirportTrueFreeWiFi” network.
If you do not have a mobile device, there are 126 internet kiosks offering free internet. Users can only connect for 15 minutes at a time. Once your time expires you can login again. Internet access is also available 24 hours a day at the CAT Telecom Internet Cafes. Locations: Passenger Terminal, landside, behind the Check-In Counters (Row W) • Aerobridge G on the 2nd Floor.
If sleeping in Bangkok Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels inside and near the airport:
- Miracle Transit Hotel - (formerly Louis' Tavern Transit Hotel Dayrooms) - Located inside the airport, Airside, 4th Floor, International Departures Hall, Concourse G. Day use rooms for 6 - 12 hours are available. The hotel features a beauty salon, sauna, spa, free WiFi and duty free shops.
- Boxtel - Location: Airport Link “Suvarnabhumi Station”, Basement (B) Floor Walk through the Airport Link ticket center and the shop for about 30m. You will then see Boxtel on the left. Each soundproofed room offers A/C, full bed with microgel blanket and pillow, free WiFi, work desk, alarm clock and key card access. Restrooms are shared. Rates are 1,250 Baht per 4 hour blocks of rental time.
- Novotel Suvarnabhumi Airport Hotel - (5 minute walk from the airport) A free 24-hour airport shuttle is available. The hotel offers day rooms and 24-Hour Flexi check-in at any time and check out 24 hours later. The shuttle departs from Gate 4, Arrival Level, Level 2.
- YHA Bangkok Airport Hostel - (4 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle.
- BS Residence Suvarnabhumi - (5 minutes from the airport) 24-hr free airport shuttle (upon prior booking via email), after customs and luggage collection head to 2nd Floor Meeting Point at Gate/Door #4 where a driver with BS Residence sign will meet you. Day rooms available for use from 9:00AM to 5:00PM for 600 THB.
- Plai Garden Boutique Guesthouse - (5 minutes from the airport) Airport shuttle service is available upon request for 120 Baht each way.
- Mariya Boutique Hotel - (5 minutes from the airport) A free 24-hour airport shuttle is available upon request.
- Best Western Premier Amaranth Hotel Suvarnabhumi Airport - (17 minutes from the airport) A 24-hour airport shuttle is available
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Cash machines are available in Terminals 2, 3 and 4.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Children's Play Areas - Location: near the transfer lounges in Concourse B and D (west side) and on the 4th floor of the Concourses C and D (East and West wings).
- Currency Exchange - Kasikornbank and Siam Commercial Bank offer full-service banking, foreign currency exchange, and international money transfers at several convenient locations throughout the airport.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty-free shopping is available on the 4th floor of the concourse building. A variety of retail shops, mini markets and convenience stores are available throughout the passenger terminal and concourse building.
- Food & Drinks - There is no shortage of food options available as well as convenience stores located both Airside and Landside. In September 2016, a reader let us know that there is a 24-hour food court (Landside, Ground Floor, inside the ground transportation waiting area). The reader continues to say "It is a cash only, coupon food court (where you exchange your cash for paper coupons to buy food and drinks with, and exchange back any unused ones when you leave). There are maybe 15 food stalls with every major category of Thai food. Prices mostly range 40-100 baht, with drinks starting at 10 baht for bottled water. Its not the most sanitary place in the world, about typical for Thai food courts, though. Its mostly frequented by staff, I've noticed, and there is a staff-only escalator right in front of it. It's possible to go back up to both departures or arrivals from there, but you'll have to walk about 300 meters to a public access escalator. I think it's sort of an open secret of sorts."
- Information Desk - The main Airport Information Counter is located in Departures, near Gates 5 and 6 on the 4th floor. There is a second Airport Information Counter on the Departures level, near Gate 3, and two more on the 2nd floor, near Gates 3 - 4 and Gates 7- 8. Six additional Airport Information Counters are located in the Departures and Arrivals passenger holding areas.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Location: Left Luggage Baggage Service Center, 2nd Floor, Arrival Hall, Baggage Claim and 4th Floor, Departure Hall, behind check-in counter Q. Rate: THB 100 per bag per day.
- Medical Facilities - 5 clinics can be found throughout the airport on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Floors of Concourse D.
- Mobile Charging - Charge your electronics for free at mobile charging stations conveniently located throughout the airport.
- Post Office - Suvarnabhumi Airport Post Office. Location: Passenger Terminal, landside, Ticketing Area (Row W). Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Prayer Rooms - A muslim prayer room is available. Location: Passenger Terminal, airside, Bridge E, 3rd Floor.
- Rest Zones - Free lounges for the purpose of resting in between flights. Equipped with reclining leather chairs. Location: Airside, Concourse B and D (west side)
- Showers - Showers are available in the Louis' Tavern Transit Hotel and Louis' Tavern CIP First Class Lounges in the International Terminal, Airside, Concourse G, Airside, Level 4 (West Side) and Level 3 (West Side). [ see Airport Lounges and Airport Hotels above ]
- Sightseeing Tours - If you are in transit, you can take advantage of 4, 5 and 7 hour tours in Bangkok. The tour desks are located on the Arrivals Level, Concourse C/D and D/E intersections.
- Smoking Room - Location: International Departures, Concourses C, D, E, F and G, on the 2nd Floor.
- Spa - Location: Terminal 3, Airside and Landside
The airport is open 24 hours.
Five BMTA local bus lines operate from the Public Transport Center. Fares range from THB 24 - 35. The bus routes are:
- 550 > Suvarnabhumi to Happy Land (5:00AM - 12:00AM)
- 553 > Suvarnabhumi to Samutprakarn (5:00AM - 10:00PM)
- 554 > Suvarnabhumi to Rangsit (4:00AM - 10:00PM)
- 555 > Suvarnabhumi to Rangsit (runs to 2:00AM)
- 558 > Suvarnabhumi to Samae Dam Garage (hours not available)
Bor Khor Sor regional buses serve the airport from the Public Transport Center. Flat-fare tickets can be purchased from the service counter, open from 5:40AM - 9:00AM.
Car rental service is available 24 hours on the 2nd floor of the passenger terminal, Gate 8. The following car rental agencies are available onsite: Avis, Bizcar, Budget/World Class, Hertz/Paragon, National (open 8:00AM - 10:00PM), Sixt and Thai Car Rental.
A free shuttle bus service operates between Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang Airports from 5:00AM - 12:00AM. The bus from Don Mueang Airport will drop passengers at Gate 5 on the 4th floor of the passenger terminal.
The airport operates a free shuttle bus service on airport grounds. Passengers can use one of four different shuttle lines to reach the Public Transport Center, Rachathewa Police Station, Novotel Airport Hotel and the airport’s other terminals and parking lots. Lines A and B run from the 1st floor of the passenger terminal (Gates 1 and 10). Lines C and D run from the Departure Terminal (4th floor, Gate 5) or the Arrivals Terminal (2nd floor, Gate 5).
Limousine service is available 24 hours a day at the airport. A range of chauffeur-driven luxury class sedans and SUV’s are available for hire from the Airport Limousine Service Counter on the 2nd floor at Baggage Claims and Arrivals Halls exits. Rates are charged according to the distance travelled, and all vehicles are equipped with GPS for passenger security.
Public Van Service
Several public van routes operate from the airport’s Public Transport Center. Public vans are a shared ride service, charged by distance, with designated routes and destinations throughout Bangkok. Departures are frequent, and van stops are located on the 1st floor of the Arrivals terminal, at Gates 1 and 8. Fares range in price from THB 20 - 45 per passenger.
Taxis are readily available 24 hours a day at Gates 4 and 7 on the 1st floor of the passenger terminal.
Suvarnabhumi Airport is served by a train that operates from Basement B:
- SA City Line: Service between the airport and Phaya Thai Station, with six stops along the way. Total travel time from originating point to end of the line: 30 minutes. Tickets cost up to THB 45 (maximum fare).
Last Updated: 13 March 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.