Mumbai International Airport
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Mumbai Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I was surprised to see that in addition to chairs, they had some adjustable chairs that could also be used as a bed. - Krishna
After landing past midnight and taking a bus to the terminal from the aircraft parking spot, we were greeted with a sight of sea of Muslim men and women returning from the holy pilgrimage. Had it not been the large sign in black and yellow on top of the terminal building proclaiming its name, I would've thought I were in Mecca! The queue to get through immigration was more than a mile long - however the processing was swift with numerous counters. Getting bags out of the cramped baggage collection area was a challenge though, since the carousels are notoriously short and people were literally standing on top of one another yet helplessly seeing their bags pass by - just out of reach :) Once you get your bags and clear customs - there is absolutely no waiting area (@ Arrivals) - you need to either exit the terminal or take the transfer shuttle to either of the domestic terminals. I had more than 12 hours to pass before my domestic connection hence after converting some currency at a bank located within the arrivals area, I decided to go to the domestic terminal. To my surprise, the folks @ the domestic airline wouldn't take my baggage before the check-in time! So I had to wait there with my bags for full 12 hours, depending on total strangers to look over my bags while I went to the bathroom a couple of times. There is a small cafeteria in the check-in area selling snacks and beverages at exorbitant prices. I later learnt that there is a much better cafeteria in the pre-boarding area. The newly renovated departure area @ the international terminal is surprisingly good and well-maintained with loads of eating places. All in all, I'd say not too bad an airport, but a few things need to change to increase passenger comfort.
Have you been to Mumbai Airport recently? Tell us about it!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- Carnations Lounge - Location: Domestic Terminal 1C, 1st Floor, opposite Gate A2. Hours: 4am - 11pm
- Celebrations Lounge - Location: International Terminal 2C, Airside, Mezzanine Level. Shower Facilities are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: £20.00 per person (online) to guarantee that you have a seat.
- Air India Lounge - Location: Domestic Terminal 1A, Landside
- Air India Executive Lounge - Location: Domestic Terminal 1A, Landside
- Clipper Bar Lounge (Kingfisher Airlines) - Location: Domestic Terminal 1A, Landside
- Clipper Lounge - Location: International Terminal 2B, Airside, Mezzanine Level, opposite Gate 14. Hours: 2am - 9pm.
- Air India Maharaja Lounge - Location: International Terminal, Airside
- Air India Maharaja Lounge - Location: International Terminal, Airside, Gate 3
- British Airways Lounge - Location: International Terminal, Airside, Gate 11
- Emirates Lounge - Location: International Terminal, Airside, Gate 11
- Lufthansa Lounge (Star Alliance) - Location: International Terminal, Airside, Gate 7
Free WiFi is available at the Mumbai airport. You will need to provide your mobile phone number as your id.
If sleeping in the Mumbai Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport....
- Sahara Star - opposite the Domestic Airport. Day rooms are available for 6 hours from 9am - 9pm.
- Hotel Airport International - 2 minute walk from the Domestic Airport.
- Ibis Hotel - 1km from Domestic Airport
- Hilton Hotel - 5 minutes from the International Terminal.
- The Waterstones - near the International Terminal. Airport transfers are available on request
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Mumbai Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Locations: Domestic Terminal 1A - Arrivals and Departures • Domestic Terminal 1B - Arrivals and Departures • Domestic Terminal 1C - Departures • International Terminal - Departures and Arrivals
- Car Rentals - Information not available
- Currency Exchange - You can find foreign exchange offices in theses locations: Domestic Terminal 1A - Arrivals and Departures • Domestic Terminal 1B - Arrivals and Departures • Domestic Terminal 1C - Departures • International Terminal - Departures, Arrivals and Mezzanine Floor
- Food & Drinks - At the time of this update there are many food options, but I am not sure which ones (if any) are open 24 hours.
- Information Desk - Information not available
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Locations: Domestic Terminal 1A (Arrival Hall) • Domestic Terminal 1B (Arrival Hall Exit Ramp) • International Terminal (near integrated exit of Terminal 2B and 2C).
- Pharmacy - Location: Apollo Pharmacy, International Terminal, Landside, Check-in Island M, Departure Level 4 • Apollo Pharmacy, Domestic Terminal, Terminal 1B, Departures, Landside.
- Prayer Room - Location: International Terminal, airside, Gate 8.
- Showers - Information not available
- Smoking - There is a smoking lounge located in the Domestic Terminal 1C, Airside.
open 24 hours
Getting Around: Inter-Terminal Transportation
The inter-terminal bus operate between the domestic and international terminals every 30 minutes.
Domestic passengers need to collect their baggage and then produce their confirmed tickets before they can use this service. International passengers can use of this service only after they have cleared customs and possess confirmed tickets for onward domestic flights.
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Mumbai Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2014 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2014.
- Submit your Airport Review - Register to submit your airport review or simply email your annonymous review to me and I will add it to the database.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Mumbai Travel Resources
- Mumbai Hotel Deals - compare rates, check availability and read reviews
Last Updated: 02 June 2014
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you du ring your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.