Mumbai International Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Mumbai Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I was surprised to see that in addition to chairs, they had some adjustable chairs that could also be used as a bed. - Krishna
February 2013 - My flight was at 6:40 AM, which meant I'd have to leave the city at 3 AM, so I decided to sleep at the airport instead. I shared a cab to it with another girl. We arrived at 9 PM and her flight was at 1 AM. I had my e-ticket and passport, so they let me inside, but she was missing one page of her printout and the guards gave her a hard time about it. Make sure your name is clearly evident from the papers!
There are some cafes outside the airport, but no wifi signal on the outside, so at least download your ticket to your phone before. They will also inspect your bags as you walk in (but you'll still have to go through check-in, security scan and customs).
The entrances to airport let you know where about your check-in is, depending on your airline operator, and there's also a sign for 'waiting area'. It would be logical if the indoor waiting area could be reached from the inside of the main lobby, but no, there's a glass wall without door separating it from the lobby, and the guards won't let you out to go there. I saw it has some seating with armrests and some food options.
I was trapped in the main lobby from 9 PM until my flight 9 hours later, and the seating was very limited. Maybe 40 seats for dozens of people, who just stretched on the floor behind them. I saw no security inside (but I was lying on the floor hidden behind the seats).
It was relatively clean, it was cool rather than hot, and the announcements were quite silent and infrequent. Bathrooms are clean with both squat and western toilets. I found another girl who watched my bags whenever I had to go, and didn't feel anyone would try to steal anything, but you never know.
There's free wifi, you get a code to access it for 24 hours if you send an SMS or ask at check-in. There's only two small cafes with coffee and a few snacks, so bring your own food.
For me that wasn't an issue, since when sleeping at an airport I only want to catch my flight, not get mugged and keep parasite-free, so I'd say my night was successful. I actually got more sleep there than on my 10-hour flight that followed.
Have you been to Mumbai Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Mumbai airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Travel Club - Location: Terminal 2, Airside, Level 3, opposite Gate 44. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Book Online (£22.00 - for 3 hours or £32.00 for up to 6 hours) • Priority Pass.
- Pranaam Lounge - Location: International Terminal 2, Airside, Level 4. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (from INR 2,000 for 2 hours - INR 3500 for 6 hours)
- Carnations Lounge - Location: Domestic Terminal 1C, 1st Floor, opposite Gate A2. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
- Loyalty Lounge - Location: International Terminal 2B, Airside, Mezzanine Level, opposite Gate 14. Hours: open 24 Hours. Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
- Loyalty Lounge - Location: Domestic Terminal 1B, Airside, Mezzanine Level. Hours: 5:00AM - 10:30PM. Lounge Access:Priority Pass.
Additionally there are airline lounges which require Elite status/First or Business Class tickets for entry.
- Air India Lounge - Location: Domestic Terminal 1A, Landside
- Air India Executive Lounge - Location: Domestic Terminal 1A, Landside
- Clipper Bar Lounge (Kingfisher Airlines) - Location: Domestic Terminal 1A, Landside
- Air India Maharaja Lounge - Location: International Terminal, Airside
- Air India Maharaja Lounge - Location: International Terminal, Airside, Gate 3
- British Airways Lounge - Location: International Terminal, Airside, Gate 11
- Emirates Lounge - Location: International Terminal, Airside, Gate 11
- Lufthansa Lounge (Star Alliance) - Location: International Terminal, Airside, Gate 7
Free WiFi is available at Mumbai airport. You will need to provide your mobile phone number as your id.
If sleeping in Mumbai Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Niranta Airport Transit Hotel & Lounge - Located inside Terminal 2, Level 1. Maximum stay is 12 hours.
- Sahara Star - (2 min walk from the airport) Located near the Domestic Terminal. Day rooms are available for 6 hours from 9:00AM - 9:00PM. Free roundtrip airport shuttle.
- Hotel Airport International - (2 min walk from the airport) Located near the Domestic Terminal. Free roundtrip airport shuttle.
- Ibis Hotel - (2 minutes from the Domestic Terminal & 5 minutes from International T2) No shuttle is available.
- Hilton Hotel - (5 min from the airport) Located near the International Terminal. Airport shuttle available upon request for rates starting at 1000 INR (each way) to Terminal 2 (International) or 1250 INR (each way) to Terminal 1 (domestic).
- JW Marriott Hotel Mumbai Sahar - (5 min from the airport) Located near the International Terminal. Airport shuttle available on request for 1200 INR (each way).
- The Waterstones - (5 min from the airport) Located near the International Terminal. Airport transfers are available on request ($).
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Mumbai Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Locations: Domestic Terminal 1A (Arrivals and Departures) • Domestic Terminal 1B (Arrivals and Departures) • Domestic Terminal 1C (Departures) • International Terminal (Arrival Level 1, Arrival Level 2 and Departure Level 4).
- Child Care Rooms - Locations: Domestic Terminal 1A, Airside, opposite Gate A8 • Domestic Terminal 1B, Pre-Security Check Area II • International Terminal, Landside, Level 4, Check-in Area • International Terminal, Airside, Level 4, near Core Duty Free • International Terminal, Airside, Level 2, South West Pier.
- Children’s Play Area - Visit the Play Area at Terminal 2 it is designed like an adventurous Jungle Safari. Hours: 24 hours a day.
- Currency Exchange - You can find foreign exchange offices in theses locations: Domestic Terminal 1A (Pheroze Framroze and Centrum) • Domestic Terminal 1B (Pheroze Framroze and Centrum) • International Terminal (Centrum, Thomas Cook, Akbar Travels).
- Food & Drinks - The following outlets are open 24 hours: • AMPM Shop (Terminal 1A, Arrivals) • 24x7 Lounge (Terminal 1B, Arrivals) • AMPM Shop (Terminal 1B, Arrivals) • The Beer Cafe has a 24 hour Coffee Shop within the premises (Terminal 2).
- Information Desk - Locations: Domestic Terminal 1A (Landside, Level 2, Departures • Arrivals Hall) • Domestic Terminal 1B (Arrivals Hall • Arrival Plaza) • International Terminal (Landside, Check-in Hall, near Islands D & L, Level 4 • Departures, Retail Area, Level 4 • Arrivals, Level 2 • Meeters and Greeters Area, Level 1). Hours: open 24 hours.
- Luggage Trolleys - Available throughout both Terminals. Rates: Not known.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Locations: Domestic Terminal 1A (Arrival Hall) • Domestic Terminal 1B (Arrival Hall Exit Ramp) • International Terminal (near integrated exit of Terminal 2B and 2C). Rates: from INR 75 (small bag) - INR 175 (large bag) for the first two hours . Then the rate is INR 10 (small bag) - INR 35 (large bag) per hour for up to 24 hours. The daily rate is INR 150 (small bag) - INR 450 (large bag) for up to 90 days.
- Medical Services - If you require medical attention, there are doctors and paramedics at the airport. Domestic Terminal 1B and the International Terminal have specialized Medical Inspector rooms. Hours: available 24 hours.
- Pharmacy - Location: Apollo Pharmacy, International Terminal, Landside, Check-in Island M, Departure Level 4 • Apollo Pharmacy, Domestic Terminal, Terminal 1B, Departures, Landside.
- Post Office - Locations: Domestic Terminal 1A, Arrivals Hall • Domestic Terminal 1B, Landside, Departures • International Terminal, Arrivals Hall.
- Prayer Rooms - Locations: International Terminal, Airside, Gate 8 • International Terminal, Airside, near Gates 64/65.
- Showers - not available
- Smoking - Locations: Domestic Terminal 1A, Airside, near Gates A7 and A8 • Domestic Terminal 1B, Landside, Check-in area between Gates 1 and 2 • Domestic Terminal 1C, Airside, opposite Gate A3 • International Terminal, Airside, Level 4, near Core Duty Free • International Terminal, Level 2, Arrivals Corridor.
- Spa - Heavan on Earth is available in all terminals. Richfeel Spa is available in Domestic Terminal 1A.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Auto rickshaws are small, motorized three-wheeled vehicles commonly used as vehicles for hire in urban and suburban areas, like taxis. Most auto rickshaws are metered, but fares can also be negotiated. Auto rickshaws can be found outside of the Domestic Terminals.
BEST buses serve the airport and Mumbai metropolitan area, while MSRTC and private buses serve Mumbai outskirts and provide long distance service. Bus information is available at the Information Desks located in the Arrivals areas of each terminal. Some notable buses are:
Bus 312 from the Domestic Terminal to Vile Parle (East) and Andheri (East) railway stations
Bus 321 from the International Terminal to Vile Parle (East) railway station
Bus 308 from the International Terminal to Andheri (East) railway station
Akbar Travels provides car rental services on Level 1 of the International Terminal. Mauli Enterprises has a car rental desk in the Arrivals area of Domestic Terminal 1A. Rohan Travels and Shree Sai Rent-A-Car have car rental desks in the Arrivals area of Domestic Terminal 1B.
The airport provides free shuttle service between the terminals via comfortable, air-conditioned Volvo buses. This service is only for passengers holding a valid ticket for an onward connecting flight. The inter-terminal buses operate between the domestic and international terminals every 20-30 minutes.
Domestic passengers need to collect their baggage and then produce their confirmed tickets before they can use this service. International passengers can use of this service only after they have cleared customs and possess confirmed tickets for onward domestic flights.
Passengers heading into the city from the airport have the option of choosing a licensed, metered taxi or a prepaid taxi service. Prepaid taxi counters are located in the Arrivals area of each terminal. Metered taxis can be hailed outside of the terminal, and passengers heading back to the airport can hail a taxi on the street.
The Mumbai Suburban Railway Network is the preferred method of transportation for many area residents. This railway system has three different railway lines that reach to almost all parts of the city and the suburbs: the Western Line, the Central Main Line, and the Harbour Line. Vile Parle (East) is the closest train station to the Domestic Terminal, and Andheri (East) is the nearest station to the International Terminal. These stations can be reached from the airport by bus, taxi or autorickshaw. Trains from these two stations can be used to reach other parts of the country. For more information on schedules and fares, visit the Indian Railways website.
Last Updated: 06 January 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.