Mumbai International Airport
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Mumbai Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I was surprised to see that in addition to chairs, they had some adjustable chairs that could also be used as a bed. - Krishna
After landing past midnight and taking a bus to the terminal from the aircraft parking spot, we were greeted with a sight of sea of Muslim men and women returning from the holy pilgrimage. Had it not been the large sign in black and yellow on top of the terminal building proclaiming its name, I would've thought I were in Mecca! The queue to get through immigration was more than a mile long - however the processing was swift with numerous counters. Getting bags out of the cramped baggage collection area was a challenge though, since the carousels are notoriously short and people were literally standing on top of one another yet helplessly seeing their bags pass by - just out of reach :) Once you get your bags and clear customs - there is absolutely no waiting area (@ Arrivals) - you need to either exit the terminal or take the transfer shuttle to either of the domestic terminals. I had more than 12 hours to pass before my domestic connection hence after converting some currency at a bank located within the arrivals area, I decided to go to the domestic terminal. To my surprise, the folks @ the domestic airline wouldn't take my baggage before the check-in time! So I had to wait there with my bags for full 12 hours, depending on total strangers to look over my bags while I went to the bathroom a couple of times. There is a small cafeteria in the check-in area selling snacks and beverages at exorbitant prices. I later learnt that there is a much better cafeteria in the pre-boarding area. The newly renovated departure area @ the international terminal is surprisingly good and well-maintained with loads of eating places. All in all, I'd say not too bad an airport, but a few things need to change to increase passenger comfort.
Have you been to Mumbai Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Mumbai airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Carnations Lounge - Location: Domestic Terminal 1C, 1st Floor, opposite Gate A2. Hours: 4am - 11pm. Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
- Loyalty Lounge - Location: International Terminal 2B, Airside, Mezzanine Level, opposite Gate 14. Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
Additionally there are airline lounges which require Elite status/First or Business Class tickets for entry.
- Air India Lounge - Location: Domestic Terminal 1A, Landside
- Air India Executive Lounge - Location: Domestic Terminal 1A, Landside
- Clipper Bar Lounge (Kingfisher Airlines) - Location: Domestic Terminal 1A, Landside
- Air India Maharaja Lounge - Location: International Terminal, Airside
- Air India Maharaja Lounge - Location: International Terminal, Airside, Gate 3
- British Airways Lounge - Location: International Terminal, Airside, Gate 11
- Emirates Lounge - Location: International Terminal, Airside, Gate 11
- Lufthansa Lounge (Star Alliance) - Location: International Terminal, Airside, Gate 7
Free WiFi is available at Mumbai airport. You will need to provide your mobile phone number as your id.
If sleeping in Mumbai Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Sahara Star - (2 min walk from the airport) Located near the Domestic Terminal. Day rooms are available for 6 hours from 9am - 9pm. Free roundtrip airport shuttle.
- Hotel Airport International - (2 min walk from the airport) Located near the Domestic Terminal. Free roundtrip airport shuttle.
- Ibis Hotel - (2 minutes from the Domestic Terminal & 5 minutes from International T2) No shuttle is available.
- Hilton Hotel - (5 min from the airport) Located near the International Terminal. Airport shuttle available upon request for rates starting at 1000 INR (each way) to Terminal 2 (International) or 1250 INR (each way) to Terminal 1 (domestic).
- JW Marriott Hotel Mumbai Sahar - (5 min from the airport) Located near the International Terminal. Airport shuttle available on request for 1200 INR (each way).
- The Waterstones - (5 min from the airport) Located near the International Terminal. Airport transfers are available on request ($).
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Mumbai Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Locations: Domestic Terminal 1A (Arrivals and Departures) • Domestic Terminal 1B (Arrivals and Departures) • Domestic Terminal 1C (Departures) • International Terminal (Arrival Level 1, Arrival Level 2 and Departure Level 4).
- Child Care Rooms - Locations: Domestic Terminal 1A, Airside, opposite Gate A8 • Domestic Terminal 1B, Pre-Security Check Area II • International Terminal, Landside, Level 4, Check-in Area • International Terminal, Airside, Level 4, near Core Duty Free • International Terminal, Airside, Level 2, South West Pier.
- Currency Exchange - You can find foreign exchange offices in theses locations: Domestic Terminal 1A (Pheroze Framroze and Centrum) • Domestic Terminal 1B (Pheroze Framroze and Centrum) • International Terminal (Centrum, Thomas Cook, Akbar Travels).
- Food & Drinks - At the time of this update there are many food options, but I am not sure which ones are open 24 hours.
- Information Desk - Locations: Domestic Terminal 1A (Landside, Level 2, Departures • Arrivals Hall) • Domestic Terminal 1B (Arrivals Hall • Arrival Plaza) • International Terminal (Landside, Check-in Hall, near Islands D & L, Level 4 • Departures, Retail Area, Level 4 • Arrivals, Level 2 • Meeters and Greeters Area, Level 1). Hours: open 24 hours.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Locations: Domestic Terminal 1A (Arrival Hall) • Domestic Terminal 1B (Arrival Hall Exit Ramp) • International Terminal (near integrated exit of Terminal 2B and 2C). Rates: from INR 75 (small bag) - INR 175 (large bag) for the first two hours . Then the rate is INR 10 (small bag) - INR 35 (large bag) per hour for up to 24 hours. The daily rate is INR 150 (small bag) - INR 450 (large bag) for up to 90 days.
- Medical Services - If you require medical attention, there are doctors and paramedics at the airport. Domestic Terminal 1B and the International Terminal have specialized Medical Inspector rooms. Hours: available 24 hours.
- Pharmacy - Location: Apollo Pharmacy, International Terminal, Landside, Check-in Island M, Departure Level 4 • Apollo Pharmacy, Domestic Terminal, Terminal 1B, Departures, Landside.
- Post Office - Locations: Domestic Terminal 1A, Arrivals Hall • Domestic Terminal 1B, Landside, Departures • International Terminal, Arrivals Hall.
- Prayer Rooms - Locations: International Terminal, Airside, Gate 8 • International Terminal, Airside, near Gates 64/65.
- Showers - Information not available
- Smoking - Locations: Domestic Terminal 1A, Airside, near Gates A7 and A8 • Domestic Terminal 1B, Landside, Check-in area between Gates 1 and 2 • Domestic Terminal 1C, Airside, opposite Gate A3 • International Terminal, Airside, Level 4, near Core Duty Free • International Terminal, Level 2, Arrivals Corridor.
- Spa - Heavan on Earth is available in all terminals. Richfeel Spa is available in Domestic Terminal 1A.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
The city and its suburbs are well connected through the bus service provided by Brihanmumbai Electric Supply and Transport (BEST).
Domestic terminals: Take bus route no. 312 to commute to Vile Parle (East) and Andheri (East) railway stations.
International terminal: The bus route no. 321 to commute to Vile Parle East. Bus route no. 308 will take you to Andheri (East) railway station.
BEST also offers Air conditioned and Express bus services. For more routes, fares and times visithttp://www.bestundertaking.com.
Other private and Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation (MSRTC) buses also operate from Mumbai and other parts of India.
The Mumbai Suburban Railway Network is the quickest way to commute within the city. Commonly referred to as local trains, Mumbai trains have three different lines- the Western Line, the Central Main Line, and the Harbour Line. This network reaches to almost all parts of the city and the suburbs.
The nearest suburban railway station from domestic terminals in Santacruz is Vile Parle (East). Andheri (East) is the nearest suburban railway station from the International terminal at Sahar. For more information on train times and fares: www.indianrailways.gov.in
Auto rickshaw is a three wheeler vehicle. This metered mode of public transport operates only in the suburbs - to Bandra in the western suburbs and Sion in the central suburbs. A fare conversion chart is available with all auto rickshaws and it is advised to pay according to the meter.
Government licensed taxis operate throughout Mumbai and the suburbs. All have meters. A fare conversion chart is available with the taxi driver and it is advised to pay according to the meter. Prepaid taxis are available in the Arrivals Hall at both domestic and international terminals.
Car rental counters are available at the arrival areas of terminals. Car rental companies include: Mauli Enterprises (Terminal 1A) • Rohan Travels and Shri Sai (Terminal 1B) • Akbar Travel (International Terminal) provide car rentals.
Inter-terminal transport facility is available on arrival at Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport. This complimentary facility can be used by passengers with a valid airline ticket and having an onward connection to domestic or international flights.
Airport Transportation: Getting Around
The inter-terminal buses operate between the domestic and international terminals every 20-30 minutes.
Domestic passengers need to collect their baggage and then produce their confirmed tickets before they can use this service. International passengers can use of this service only after they have cleared customs and possess confirmed tickets for onward domestic flights.
We Need Your Feedback!
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Mumbai Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2015 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2015.
- Write a Review - Please take a few minutes to write your airport review. Whether you provided a quick tip or a detailed review, you will be helping other travellers in a similar situation. Leave a guest review OR register for an account.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Mumbai Travel Resources
- Tripadvisor - search Mumbai hotel deals, check availability and read traveller reviews.
Last Updated: 09 April 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.