Mumbai International Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Mumbai Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I was surprised to see that in addition to chairs, they had some adjustable chairs that could also be used as a bed. - Krishna
photo source: Prateek Karandikar / Wikimedia
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at Mumbai Airport.
What to Expect
- The airport is divided into 2 terminals: T1 and T3. T1 is used for domestic flights and is divided into three adjacent buildings, 1A, 1B, and 1C; T1A is particularly old with poor facilities. T2 is a brand new, huge international terminal.
- Security will check your tickets and passport to let you in the terminal. Once you’re in the terminal, security doesn’t let you leave.
- This is a modern airport with decent facilities but you’ll still spend plenty of time waiting in lines because it seems they are often very short-staffed.
- Most travellers report feeling generally safe here.
- For departures, you’ll go through a bag-scan before typical security, customs, and luggage checks.
- A few eateries are open 24-hours, mostly Landside; see our Airport Guide for locations.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Not many travellers have reported sleeping here. Those that have said the Landside area doesn’t have much seating but felt fairly clean and safe. Others paid to stay in an airport lounge.
- In Terminal 2, you will find comfortable chairs, benches and even beds to sleep on at Gate 85 and 86. (August 2016 - Anouk)
- For uninterupted sleep, there is a transit hotel and several nearby hotels. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class travellers can buy entry to many airport lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Mumbai Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Mumbai airport either by purchasing a lounge pass. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Carnations Lounge - Location: Domestic Terminal 1C, 1st Floor, opposite Gate A2. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Loyalty Lounge - Location: Domestic Terminal 1B, Airside, Mezzanine Level. Hours: 5:00AM - 10:30PM.
- Travel Club - Location: International Terminal 2, Airside, Level 3, opposite Gate 44. Hours: open 24 hours. Access to passengers with Domestic transit and Domestic departure flights only. Lounge Access: Book Online (£22.00 - for 3 hours or £32.00 for up to 6 hours - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
- Pranaam Lounge - Location: International Terminal 2, Airside, Level 4. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (from INR 2,000 for 2 hours - INR 3500 for 6 hours)
- Loyalty Lounge - Location: International Terminal 2B, Airside, Mezzanine Level, opposite Gate 14. Hours: open 24 Hours.
Free WiFi is available at Mumbai Airport. A mobile number is required for access.
If sleeping in Mumbai Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Niranta Airport Transit Hotel & Lounge - Located inside Terminal 2, with entrances airside and landside on Level 1 and airside on Level 2 - International Departures. 24-hour dining, full-service spa and free WiFi are some of the amenities available. You pay by the hour and can check in or out at any time, day or night.
- Sahara Star - (4 minutes from the airport) Located near the Domestic Terminal. Day rooms are available for 6 hours from 9:00AM - 9:00PM. Free roundtrip airport shuttle.
- The Orchid - (4 minutes from the airport) Located near the Domestic Terminal. Free roundtrip airport shuttle
- Hotel Airport International - (4 minutes from the airport) Located near the Domestic Terminal. Free roundtrip airport shuttle service is available to/from the Domestic Terminal, note transfers cost 300 each way to/from the International Terminal.
- Ibis Mumbai Airport - (4 minutes from the airport) Free airport transfers are available upon request to/from the Domestic Terminal. Transfers cost INR 1090 to/from the International Terminal.
- Hilton Hotel - (5 minutes from the airport) Located near the International Terminal. Airport shuttle is available upon request for both terminals (Domestic and International), call 022 28380000 to book, rates starting at 1250 INR each way.
- JW Marriott Hotel Mumbai Sahar - (5 minutes from the airport) Located near the International Terminal. Airport shuttle is available on request for 830 INR (each way).
- The Waterstones - (5 minutes from the airport) Located near the International Terminal. Airport transfers are available on request ($).
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Mumbai Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- Art in the Airport - Culturally-rich artworks are on display throughout the airport, courtesy of the Jaya He GVK New Museum.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - ATMs are available in T1 Departures and Arrivals areas, and T2 International Departures Level 4 and International Arrivals levels 1 and 2.
- Baby Care Facilities - Changing tables and more are available in the airport’s Child Care Rooms. Locations: T1, landside, pre-Security Check Area II • T1, airside, opposite Gate A8 • T2, landside, Level 2 - South West Pier, near Check-In • T2, airside, near Core Duty Free, Level 4. Additionally, strollers are also available for loan. Photo ID is required as deposit, and will be returned to you upon return of the stroller. Go to the Information Desk for service.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Children’s Play Area - A colorful jungle-themed indoor playground is available for children ages 2 - 12. Location: T2, airside, Level 3 Hours: Open 24 hours
- Currency Exchange - Locations:
- T1 - Pheroze Framroze (Departures) • Centrum (Arrivals)
- T2 - Centrum (Departures Level 4 and Arrivals Levels 1 and 2) • VKC (Arrivals Level 2) • SBI (Arrivals Level 2) • Akbar Travels (Level 2 Domestic Transfers, Level 4 Check-in, and Level 4 passenger holding area).
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty-free shopping is available in Terminal 2 International Departures and Arrivals sections. A wide variety of retail shops are available throughout both terminals.
- Food & Drinks -Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours:
- Terminal 1: 24x7 Lounge (Arrivals) • AMPM (Departures Gate 1)
- Terminal 2 International Departures: The Beer Cafe (landside - the coffee shop inside is open 24 hours)
- Information Desk - Available airside and landside in both terminals, with three locations total in T1 and seven locations total in T2. Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Luggage Trolleys - Available throughout both Terminals. Rates: Not known.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - A Left Luggage facility is available in all terminals for storage of up to 90 days. You can store your luggage in the Domestic terminal and retrieve it over in International, or vice versa. Rates start at Rs.150/- per bag for up to six hours of storage, with additional charges for oversized items (golf clubs, etc.). A delivery fee of Rs.228/- applies for bags transferred between terminals. Locations: Terminal 1B, Arrival Hall exit ramp • International Terminal, near integrated exit of T2.
- Luggage Wrapping - TravelProtect luggage wrapping service is available for Rs.300/- per bag. Location: T2, landside, Level 4, near Check-In counters B-gate 2, F-gate 4, J-gate 5, and N-gate 6.
- Medical Services - Urgent and emergency medical care is available 24 hours a day in the airport’s Medical Inspection (MI) rooms, available at these locations: T1, Ground Floor, opposite MI gate (staff gate) • T2, Level 2 - South West Pier, near aerobridge 67 and next to the AIU Customs Office • T2, landside, near Check-in island M, next to MIAL Facility Maintenance. • T2, airside, near Gate 46.
- Pharmacy - Apollo Pharmacy - Two locations: International Terminal, landside, behind Check-In Island M, inside the medical room on Departure Level 4 • Domestic Terminal 1B, landside, Departures.
- Post Office - Postal service counters are available in these locations: T1, opposite Sahara Star Hotel • T2, landside, Arrivals exit.
- Prayer Rooms - Locations: T2, landside, Level 3 (use the escalators at the far east and west ends of Level 4 Departures) • T2, airside, Level 4, Gate 47 • T2, airside, Domestic Departures, opposite Gates 43 and 86.
- Showers - A reader tells us that there are separate shower rooms in the ladies bathrooms for wudhu (cleansing before prayer). We do not have details about locations. (Sep 2016).
- Smoking - Smoking rooms can be found in these locations: Terminal 1B, landside, Gates 1 and 2 of the check-in area • Terminal 1B, Arrivals Hall • Terminal 1C, airside, Gates A6 and A7 • Terminal 1C, airside, opposite Gate A3 • T2, airside, Level 4 - retail area • T2/International, airside, Level 4 - near Gate 68 • T2/Domestic, airside, Level 3 - retail area • T2, landside, Level 2 - near baggage belts 1, 2, 5 and 12.
- Spa & Salon Services - Express foot reflexology and full body treatments are available at Heaven On Earth Spa. Location: Airside in all terminals (1B, 1C, T2 Domestic, Intl Arrivals and Intl Departures).
- Visitor’s Ticket - People needing to pick up friends or family from the International Terminal can wait in comfort inside the terminal’s visitors area by purchasing a visitor’s ticket. Visitor’s tickets are sold at a counter located at Level 2 Arrivals, east side, for a cost of Rs.60/-. The ticket is good for 4 hours from the moment of issuance.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Auto rickshaws are small, motorized three-wheeled vehicles commonly used as vehicles for hire in urban and suburban areas, like taxis. Most auto rickshaws are metered, but fares can also be negotiated. Auto rickshaws can be found outside of the Domestic Terminals.
BEST buses serve the airport and Mumbai metropolitan area, while MSRTC and private buses serve Mumbai outskirts and provide long distance service. Bus information is available at the Information Desks located in the Arrivals areas of each terminal. Some notable buses are:
Bus 312 from the Domestic Terminal to Vile Parle (East) and Andheri (East) railway stations
Bus 321 from the International Terminal to Vile Parle (East) railway station
Bus 308 from the International Terminal to Andheri (East) railway station
Akbar Travels provides car rental services on Level 1 of the International Terminal. Mauli Enterprises has a car rental desk in the Arrivals area of Domestic Terminal 1A. Rohan Travels and Shree Sai Rent-A-Car have car rental desks in the Arrivals area of Domestic Terminal 1B.
The airport provides free shuttle service between the terminals via comfortable, air-conditioned Volvo buses. This service is only for passengers holding a valid ticket for an onward connecting flight. The inter-terminal buses operate between the domestic and international terminals every 20-30 minutes.
Domestic passengers need to collect their baggage and then produce their confirmed tickets before they can use this service. International passengers can use of this service only after they have cleared customs and possess confirmed tickets for onward domestic flights.
Passengers heading into the city from the airport have the option of choosing a licensed, metered taxi or a prepaid taxi service. Prepaid taxi counters are located in the Arrivals area of each terminal. Metered taxis can be hailed outside of the terminal, and passengers heading back to the airport can hail a taxi on the street.
The Mumbai Suburban Railway Network is the preferred method of transportation for many area residents. This railway system has three different railway lines that reach to almost all parts of the city and the suburbs: the Western Line, the Central Main Line, and the Harbour Line. Vile Parle (East) is the closest train station to the Domestic Terminal, and Andheri (East) is the nearest station to the International Terminal. These stations can be reached from the airport by bus, taxi or autorickshaw. Trains from these two stations can be used to reach other parts of the country. For more information on schedules and fares, visit the Indian Railways website.
Last Updated: 24 March 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.