Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Mumbai Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
I was surprised to see that in addition to chairs, they had some adjustable chairs that could also be used as a bed. – Krishna
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Mumbai Airport.
What to Expect
Mumbai Airport has two large terminals. Terminal 1 services domestic flights in three buildings: 1A, 1B, and 1C. (Terminal 1A is the oldest, with poor facilities.) International flights are handled by the brand new Terminal 2. Your experience will depend on your terminal.
Travellers warn that security procedures often take a long time, so arrive early for peace of mind. The goods news is that you’ll find plenty of eateries and shops, a few of which are open 24 hours. Free WiFi helps pass the time. Want to upgrade your layover? Economy class passengers can pay to enter several airport lounges, one of which has shower facilities. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and access information.
Where to Sleep
Overnight campers have reported that airside is more comfortable than landside, which has limited seating, but does feel safe. Bed-like benches can be found in both terminals. Explore our guide to sleeping in Mumbai Airport or read some traveller reviews for more tips. For uninterrupted sleep, check out the transit hotel and sleeping pods inside the airport or head to nearby hotels that offer shuttle service. See our Airport Hotels section below for more info.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges e that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Loyalty Lounge (Terminal 2, International) – Location: International Terminal 2B, Airside, Mezzanine Level, opposite Gate 14. Hours: open 24 Hours. Lounge Access: Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
Passes Travel Club – Location: Terminal 2, Airside, Level 3, opposite Gate 44. Hours: open 24 hours. Access to passengers with Domestic transit and Domestic departure flights only. Lounge Access: Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
Passes Aviserv Lounge – Location: Landside, Level 2 (Arrivals Level), next to Gate A. Showers and sleeping pods are available available ($). Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
[ update ]
If sleeping in Mumbai Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
In Transit Niranta Airport Transit Hotel & Lounge – Located inside Terminal 2, with entrances airside and landside on Level 1 and airside on Level 2 – International Departures. Requirements to access this hotel: Guests must have a flight from Terminal 2. 24-hour dining, full-service spa and free WiFi are some of the amenities available. You can book a room for 4, 7 and 24 hour blocks. » Check Rates
Inside Airport Aviserv Lounge – Sleeping pods are available. You can either book the pods alone (Rs. 750 per hour) or together with lounge service/shower service/dry cleaning service and more. The Aviserv lounge is located in the public area of the terminal (landside), on Level 2 (Arrivals Level), next to Gate A. If you are in transit, you would need to pass through immigration, so proper documentation is required.
Near Airport Sahara Star – (4 minutes from the airport) Located near the Domestic Terminal. Day rooms are available for 6 hours from 9:00AM – 9:00PM. Free roundtrip airport shuttle. » Check Rates
Near Airport The Orchid – (4 minutes from the airport) Located near the Domestic Terminal. Free roundtrip airport shuttle. » Check Rates
Near Airport Hotel Airport International – (4 minutes from the airport) Located near the Domestic Terminal. Free roundtrip airport shuttle is available to/from the Domestic Terminal, note transfers cost 300 each way to/from the International Terminal. » Check Rates
Near Airport Ibis Mumbai Airport – (4 minutes from the airport) Free airport transfers are available upon request to/from the Domestic Terminal. Transfers cost INR 1090 to/from the International Terminal. » Check Rates
Near Airport The Waterstones – (5 minutes from the airport) Located near the International Terminal. Airport transfers are available on request ($). » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Mumbai Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
[ update ]
Free WiFi is available at Mumbai Airport. An Indian mobile number is required. An access code will be send to the phone number.
Pro-Tip: The Information desk can give you a ‘wifi voucher’ if you don’t have an Indian phone number. If you are in transit and transferring between terminals, get a code from the Information Desk in the luggage area.
[ update ]
- Post Office – Postal service counters are available in these locations: T1, opposite Sahara Star Hotel • T2, landside, Arrivals exit (only letters/envelopes at this location).
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – Changing tables and more are available in the airport’s Child Care Rooms. Locations: T1, landside, pre-Security Check Area II • T1, airside, opposite Gate 28 • T2, landside, check-in area behind Island P • T2, airside, just after security • T2, airside, Level-3 Retail area Near Theobrama • T2, airside, near Gate 42. Additionally, strollers are also available for loan. Photo ID is required as deposit, and will be returned to you upon return of the stroller. Go to the Information Desk for service.
- Children’s Play Area – When you want to ensure your kids burn off all their energy before their flight, take them to the children’s play area. The colorful jungle-themed indoor playground is suitable for children ages 2 – 12. Location: T2, airside, Level 3 • T2, airside, Level 4. Hours: Open 24 hours.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks -Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules and are available both Landside and Airside in both Terminals. This options is open 24 hours:
- Terminal 2, Landside: The Beer Cafe (near the Car Park)
- Information Desk – Available airside and landside in both terminals, with two locations in T1 and four locations in T2. Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Baggage Trolleys – Trolleys are available free of charge in both Terminals, Landside and Airside.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – A Left Luggage facility is available in all terminals for storage of up to 90 days. You can store your luggage in the Domestic terminal and retrieve it over in International, or vice versa. Rates start at Rs.180/under 7kg bag and Rs.250/over 7kg bag, for up to six hours of storage, with additional charges for oversized items (golf clubs, etc.). A delivery fee of Rs.228 (standard bag) or Rs.342 (oversize) applies for bags transferred between terminals. Locations: Terminal 1B, Arrival Hall exit ramp • International Terminal, near integrated exit of T2.
- Luggage Wrapping – TravelProtect luggage wrapping service is available for Rs.450/- per bag. Location: T2, landside, Level 4, near Check-In counters B-gate 2, F-gate 4, J-gate 5, and N-gate 6.
- Medical Services – Urgent and emergency medical care is available 24 hours a day in the airport’s Medical Inspection (MI) rooms, available at these locations: T1, Ground Floor, opposite MI gate (staff gate) • T1, airside, near Gate 25 • T2, airside, near Gate 68 • T2, landside, near Check-in island M, next to MIAL Facility Maintenance. • T2, airside, near Gate 46.
- Pharmacy – Apollo Pharmacy – Two locations: International Terminal, landside, behind Check-In Island M, inside the medical room on Departure Level 4 • Domestic Terminal 1B, landside, Departures.
- Mobile Charging – At the time of this update, we did not have any information about mobile charging availability. If you know, click here to update this airport guide.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: T1, Departures and Arrivals areas • T2, International Departures, Level 4 and International Arrivals, Levels 1 and 2.
- Currency Exchange – Locations:
- Terminal 1 – Landside (Arrivals) • Airside (Gate 2)
- Terminal 2 – Landside (Level 2 x 4 locations) • Landside (Level 1) • Level 2 (Domestic Transfers) • Departures (Level 4).
- Prayer Rooms – Locations: T2 / International Departures, landside, Level 3 (use the escalators at the far east and west ends of Level 4 Departures) • T2 / International Departures, airside, Level 4, near Gate 47 and Gate 65 • T2, airside, Domestic Departures, opposite Gates 43 and 86.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – There are no dedicated sleeping areas, quiet areas or rest zones. If this information has changed, click here to update this guide.
- Duty Free & Shopping – Duty-free shopping is available in Terminal 2 International Departures and Arrivals sections. A wide variety of retail shops are available throughout both terminals.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Showers – Showers are available at the Aviserv Lounge. See Airport Lounges above. In September 2016, a reader let us that there are separate shower rooms in the ladies bathrooms for wudhu (cleansing before prayer). We have not been able to confirm this information, nor do we have any other details.
- Spa & Salon Services – A variety of spa services are available at the airport. Location: Heaven on Earth Express Spa (T1, Departures, Airside in T1A, T1B and T1C • T2, International Departures, Airside) • O2 Spa (T2, Domestic Departures, Airside).
- Smoking – Smoking rooms can be found in these locations: Terminal 1, landside, Arrivals Hall near Belt 5 • Terminal 1C, airside, between Gates 26 & 27 • T2, airside, Level 4 – retail area • T2/International, airside, Level 4 – near Gate 68 • T2/Domestic, airside, Level 3 – retail area • T2/Domestic, airside, near Gates 42 and 47 • T2, landside, Level 2 Arrivals – near baggage belts 1, 2, 5 and 12.
Things to do & see
- Art in the Airport – Culturally-rich artworks are on display throughout the airport, courtesy of the Jaya He GVK New Museum.
Other Airport Services & Facilities
- Visitor’s Ticket – People needing to pick up friends or family from the International Terminal can wait in comfort inside the terminal’s visitors area by purchasing a visitor’s ticket. Visitor’s tickets are sold at a counter located at Level 2 Arrivals, east side, for a cost of Rs.60/-. The ticket is good for 4 hours from the moment of issuance.
[ update ]
As of June 2019, Bombay airport is served by the following airlines: Air Arabia • Air Asia • Air Canada • Air China • Air France • Air India • Air Mauritius • Air Seychelles • All Nippon • Bangkok Airways • British Airways • Cathay Pacific • EgyptAir • El Al • Emirates • Ethiopian Airlines • Etihad Airways • Flydubai • Garuda Indonesia • Gulf Air • Iraqi Airways • Iran Air • IndiGo • Kenya Airways • KLM • Korean Airways • Kuwait Airways • Lufthansa • Malaysia Airlines • Malindo Air • Nepal Airlines • Oman Air • Qatar Airways • Rwandair • Saudi Arabian • Singapore Airlines • Srilankan Airlines • SWISS • Spicejet • Thai Airways • Turkish Airlines • United Airlines • Yemen.
[ update ]
Auto rickshaws are small, motorized three-wheeled vehicles commonly used as vehicles for hire in urban and suburban areas, like taxis. Most auto rickshaws are metered, but fares can also be negotiated.
BEST buses serve the airport and Mumbai metropolitan area, while MSRTC and private buses serve Mumbai outskirts and provide long distance service. Bus information is available at the Information Desks located in the Arrivals areas of each terminal. Some notable buses are:
- Bus 312 from the Domestic Terminal to Vile Parle (East) and Andheri (East) railway stations
- Bus 321 from the International Terminal to Vile Parle (East) railway station
- Bus 308 from the International Terminal to Andheri (East) railway station
Akbar Travels and Shree Sai Rent-A-Car provides car rental services onsite.
The airport provides shuttle service between the terminals. Two options are available: Sedan vehicle which cost Rs. 230 to Rs. 245 or SUV which costs Rs. 750. For more information and to book your seat go to T1 – Inter-Terminal counter at Arrivals, next to Coffee & more or to T2 – Level 2 International Arrivals beside the Prepaid Taxi counter, next to Makemytrip counter.
Passengers heading into the city from the airport have the option of choosing a licensed, metered taxi or a prepaid taxi service. Prepaid taxi counters are located in the Arrivals area of each terminal. Metered taxis can be hailed outside of the terminal, and passengers heading back to the airport can hail a taxi on the street.
The Mumbai Suburban Railway Network has three different railway lines that reach to almost all parts of the city and the suburbs: the Western Line, the Central Main Line, and the Harbour Line. Vile Parle (East) is the closest train station to the Domestic Terminal, and Andheri (East) is the nearest station to the International Terminal. These stations can be reached from the airport by bus, taxi or auto rickshaw.
[ update ]
Last updated: 2020-01-26
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.