Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Mumbai Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
I was surprised to see that in addition to chairs, they had some adjustable chairs that could also be used as a bed. – Krishna
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us about their time at Mumbai Airport.
What to Expect
Mumbai Airport has two large terminals. Terminal 1 services domestic flights in three buildings: 1A, 1B, and 1C. (Terminal 1A is the oldest, with poor facilities.) International flights are handled by the brand new Terminal 2. Your experience will depend on your terminal.
Travellers warn that security procedures often take a long time, so arrive early for peace of mind. The goods news is that you’ll find plenty of eateries and shops, a few of which are open 24 hours. Free WiFi helps pass the time. Want to upgrade your layover? Economy class passengers can pay to enter several airport lounges, one of which has shower facilities. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and access information.
Where to Sleep
Overnight campers have reported that airside is more comfortable than landside, which has limited seating, but does feel safe. Bench-like beds can be found in both terminals. Bring along earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones to combat the loud announcements. Explore our guide to sleeping in Mumbai Airport or read some traveller reviews for more tips. For uninterrupted sleep, check out the transit hotel and sleeping pods inside the airport or head to nearby hotels that offer shuttle service. See our Airport Hotels section below for more info.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges e that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Passes Loyalty Lounge (Terminal 2, International) – Location: International Terminal 2B, Airside, Mezzanine Level, opposite Gate 14. Hours: open 24 Hours. Lounge Access: Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
Passes Travel Club (Terminal 2) – Location: Terminal 2, Airside, Level 3, opposite Gate 44. Hours: open 24 hours. Access to passengers with Domestic transit and Domestic departure flights only. Lounge Access: Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
Passes Aviserv Lounge – Location: Landside, Level 2 (Arrivals Level), next to Gate A. Showers and sleeping pods are available available ($). Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
If sleeping in Mumbai Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
In Transit Niranta Airport Transit Hotel & Lounge – Located inside Terminal 2, with entrances airside and landside on Level 1 and airside on Level 2 – International Departures. Requirements to access this hotel: Guests must have a flight from Terminal 2. 24-hour dining, full-service spa and free WiFi are some of the amenities available. You can book a room for 4, 7 and 24 hour blocks. » Check Rates
Inside Airport Aviserv Lounge – Sleeping pods are available. You can either book the pods alone (Rs. 750 per hour) or together with lounge service. The Aviserv lounge is located in the public area of the terminal (landside), on Level 2 (Arrivals Level), next to Gate A. If you are in transit, you would need to pass through immigration, so proper documentation is required.
Near Airport Sahara Star – (4 minutes from the airport) Located near the Domestic Terminal. Day rooms are available for 6 hours from 9:00AM – 9:00PM. Free roundtrip airport shuttle. » Check Rates
Near Airport The Orchid – (4 minutes from the airport) Located near the Domestic Terminal. Free roundtrip airport shuttle. » Check Rates
Near Airport Hotel Airport International – (4 minutes from the airport) Located near the Domestic Terminal. Free roundtrip airport shuttle is available to/from the Domestic Terminal, note transfers cost 300 each way to/from the International Terminal. » Check Rates
Near Airport Ibis Mumbai Airport – (4 minutes from the airport) Free airport transfers are available upon request to/from the Domestic Terminal. Transfers cost INR 1090 to/from the International Terminal. » Check Rates
Near Airport The Waterstones – (5 minutes from the airport) Located near the International Terminal. Airport transfers are available on request ($). » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Mumbai Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Mumbai Airport. An Indian mobile number is required. An access code will be send to the phone number.
Pro-Tip: The Information desk can give you a ‘wifi voucher’ if you don’t have an Indian phone number. If you are in transit and transferring between terminals, get a code from the Information Desk in the luggage area.
- Post Office – Postal service counters are available in these locations: T1, opposite Sahara Star Hotel • T2, landside, Arrivals exit.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – Changing tables and more are available in the airport’s Child Care Rooms. Locations: T1, landside, pre-Security Check Area II • T1, airside, opposite Gate A8 • T2, landside, Level 2 – South West Pier, near Check-In • T2, airside, near Core Duty Free, Level 4. Additionally, strollers are also available for loan. Photo ID is required as deposit, and will be returned to you upon return of the stroller. Go to the Information Desk for service.
- Children’s Play Area – When you want to ensure your kids burn off all their energy before their flight, take them to the children’s play area. The colorful jungle-themed indoor playground is suitable for children ages 2 – 12. Location: T2, airside, Level 3. Hours: Open 24 hours.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks -Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours:
- Terminal 1: AMPM (Departures Gate 1)
- Terminal 2, International Departures: Beer Face (International Departures, Landside)
- Information Desk – Available airside and landside in both terminals, with three locations total in T1 and seven locations total in T2. Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Baggage Trolleys – Trolleys are available free of charge in both Terminals, Landside and Airside.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – A Left Luggage facility is available in all terminals for storage of up to 90 days. You can store your luggage in the Domestic terminal and retrieve it over in International, or vice versa. Rates start at Rs.240/under 7kg bag and Rs.300/over 7kg bag, for up to six hours of storage, with additional charges for oversized items (golf clubs, etc.). A delivery fee of Rs.228/- applies for bags transferred between terminals. Locations: Terminal 1B, Arrival Hall exit ramp • International Terminal, near integrated exit of T2.
- Luggage Wrapping – TravelProtect luggage wrapping service is available for Rs.300/- per bag. Location: T2, landside, Level 4, near Check-In counters B-gate 2, F-gate 4, J-gate 5, and N-gate 6.
- Medical Services – Urgent and emergency medical care is available 24 hours a day in the airport’s Medical Inspection (MI) rooms, available at these locations: T1, Ground Floor, opposite MI gate (staff gate) • T2, Level 2 – South West Pier, near aerobridge 67 and next to the AIU Customs Office • T2, landside, near Check-in island M, next to MIAL Facility Maintenance. • T2, airside, near Gate 46.
- Pharmacy – Apollo Pharmacy – Two locations: International Terminal, landside, behind Check-In Island M, inside the medical room on Departure Level 4 • Domestic Terminal 1B, landside, Departures.
- Mobile Charging – At the time of this update, we did not have any information about mobile charging availability. If you know, click here to update this airport guide.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: T1, Departures and Arrivals areas • T2, International Departures, Level 4 and International Arrivals, Levels 1 and 2.
- Currency Exchange – Locations:
- Terminal 1 – Centrum (Arrivals)
- Terminal 2 – Centrum (Departures Level 4 and Arrivals Levels 1 and 2) • VKC (Arrivals Level 2) • SBI (Arrivals Level 2) • Akbar Travels (Level 2 Domestic Transfers, Level 4 Check-in, and Level 4 passenger holding area).
- Prayer Rooms – Locations: T2 / International Departures, landside, Level 3 (use the escalators at the far east and west ends of Level 4 Departures) • T2 / International Departures, airside, Level 4, near Gate 47 and Gate 65 • T2, airside, Domestic Departures, opposite Gates 43 and 86.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – Not available.
- Duty Free & Shopping – Duty-free shopping is available in Terminal 2 International Departures and Arrivals sections. A wide variety of retail shops are available throughout both terminals.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Showers – Showers are available at the Aviserv Lounge. See Airport Lounges above. In September 2016, a reader let us that there are separate shower rooms in the ladies bathrooms for wudhu (cleansing before prayer). We have not been able to confirm this information, nor do we have any other details.
- Spa & Salon Services – A variety of spa services are available at the airport. Location: Heaven on Earth Express Spa (T1, Departures, Airside • T2, International Departures, Airside) • O2 Spa (T2, Domestic Departures, Airside).
- Smoking – Smoking rooms can be found in these locations: Terminal 1B, landside, Gates 1 and 2 of the check-in area • Terminal 1B, Arrivals Hall • Terminal 1C, airside, Gates A6 and A7 • Terminal 1C, airside, opposite Gate A3 • T2, airside, Level 4 – retail area • T2/International, airside, Level 4 – near Gate 68 • T2/Domestic, airside, Level 3 – retail area • T2/Domestic, airside, near Gates 42 and 47 • T2, landside, Level 2 Arrivals – near baggage belts 1, 2, 5 and 12.
Things to do & see
- Art in the Airport – Culturally-rich artworks are on display throughout the airport, courtesy of the Jaya He GVK New Museum.
Other Airport Services & Facilities
- Visitor’s Ticket – People needing to pick up friends or family from the International Terminal can wait in comfort inside the terminal’s visitors area by purchasing a visitor’s ticket. Visitor’s tickets are sold at a counter located at Level 2 Arrivals, east side, for a cost of Rs.60/-. The ticket is good for 4 hours from the moment of issuance.
The airport is open 24 hours.
As of March 2018, Bombay airport is served by the following airlines: Air India • Go Air • Indi Go • Jet Airways • Spicejet • Vistara • Trujet.
Last updated: 2018-10-29
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.