New Delhi Indira Gandhi Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our New Delhi Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
The REAL surprise is T3 - the international terminal. It's incredible how they've taken EVERYTHING they did wrong and go about doing it absolutely right. - SixSigma1978
Arrived in Delhi around midnight and had to take a connecting flight. Thanks to Indian bureaucratics; you're only allowed into the transit area when you have a boarding pass. The thing is; boarding passes for connecting flights can only be issued apparently in Delhi itself. So if you have to continue on a flight of an airline that only has one or two daily flights, as I did; and you happen to be there outside office hours, you're basically screwed. My colleagues and I spent an uncomfortable 11 hours on the benches in front of the desk; not allowed to enter the terminal. Every single bench there has armrests, so don't think of stretching out. Also, each time you wanna go to the toilet or just wanna stretch your legs; you have to go out of the transit desk area, meaning you need to pass a security checkpoint. Funny thing is; I had been staring at that security guy the last few hours; and still he insisted on controling me each bloody time I wanted to take a walk. 'Procedure sir'... because we all know weapons often materialise out of thin air.
There are vending machines in the area; but they only accept Indian rupees. Of course; everybody transiting through Delhi obviously has those handy...
Luckily there's Free WiFi... which didn't work.
Oh; and then there's the giant aircon machine which blows cold air in your neck the whole night. Such a memorable experience... and the 'passengers are advised not to leave their luggage unattended' message which is played every 2 minutes...
Once we finally made it into the transit area, I was thrilled to see all the squished cockroaches on the restaurant level. It really ads to the experience.
Bottom line: AVOID DELHI.
Have you been to New Delhi Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at New Delhi airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Plaza Premium has six lounges at the New Delhi airport that are open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online • Priority Pass. Package rates are:
International Departures: INR 1500 (2 hrs) • INR 2500 (5 hrs) • INR 3500 (10 hrs)
Domestic Departures: INR 1000 (2 hrs) • INR 2000 (5 hrs) • INR 3000 (10 hrs)
Arrivals: INR 1000 (2 hrs) • INR 2000 single / INR 3000 double (3 hrs) • INR 3000 single / INR 4000 double (6 hrs).
- Terminal 1 - Domestic Departures - Location: Airside, Mezzanine Level.
- Terminal 3 - International Arrivals - Location: Landside, opposite exit gate 6. Showers are available.
- Terminal 3 - Domestic Arrivals - Location: Landside. Showers are available.
- Terminal 3 - International Departures - Location: Airside. Showers are available.
- Terminal 3 - Domestic Departures - Location: Airside.
- Terminal 3 - International Departures - Location: Airside.
- ITC Welcome Group Green Lounge - Location: International Terminal 3, airside. Hours: open 24 hours Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
- Sams Snooze at My Space - International Terminal 3, airside. Hours: open 24 hours
Free WiFi is available at New Delhi Airport in Terminal 3 for 20 minutes. Connect to the "Aircel WiFi" network. You will need a mobile phone to receive a username and password. Extra time can be purchased for INR 99 (1 hour) and INR 199 (3 hours).
If sleeping in New Delhi Airport does not appeal to you, there is a transit hotel and sleeping pods at the airport as well as hotels within a 5-10 minute radius of the airport.
- Eaton Smart New Delhi Transit Hotel - The hotel is divided into two wings with rooms available in both the International and the Domestic wings of Terminal 3. Access from Level 5, Terminal 3. Hourly rates and day rooms are available.
- Sam's Snooze at My Space - in transit sleeping pods are available on a hourly basis. Location: Terminal 3, International Departures, Gate 17. Rates: US$ 10/hr (single) and US$ 14/hr (double)
- Plaza Premium Lounge - Private day rooms with attached toilet and shower facilities. Rates start at 2500 INR for 3 hours minimum (single occupancy) and 3500 INR for 3 hours minimum (double occupancy). Three locations: Domestic Arrivals (T3), International Arrivals (T3), Domestic Departures Landside (1D)
- Ibis New Delhi Airport - Located between Terminal 1 and 3. Free airport shuttle.
- Hotel Delhi Aerocity - (5 minute drive from Terminal 3) This budget hotel provides airport transfers are available upon request for ($8) Rs.400/- (1 Car/ 3 persons) for the pick-up and ($4) Rs.200/- for drop-off.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near New Delhi Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Available 24 hours in these locations: T3 International (Arrivals and Departures) • T3 Domestic (Arrivals and Domestic) • T1A • T1D • T1C
- Children's Play Area - Location: Airside.
- Currency Exchange - Foreign exchange offices are located in these areas: T3 International (Arrivals and Departures) • T3 Domestic (Departures) • T1A • T1D • T1C
- Food & Drinks -
There are 24 hour food and beverage concessions available at these locations:
»Landside: Foodies Bar (T3 Arrivals)
»Airside: Foodies Bar (T1C) • Foodies Bar (T1D)
- Gaming - Amoeba offers a gaming area that is fun for the family. Locations: Terminal 3 International Arrivals and Domestic Arrivals.
- Information Desk - Information not available
- Kid's Zones - Children's play areas are available Airside.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Location: Terminal 3, in the Airport Connect, Skywalk Level. You need to present your passport. Rates: 80 rupees (small) • 120 rupees (medium) • 160 rupees (large) for up to two hours. Then the rates become 20 rupees (small) • 30 rupees (medium) • 40 rupees (large) every hour (up to 8 hours). The daily rate is 200 rupees (small) • 400 rupees (medium) • 600 rupees (large) to a maximum storage time of 30 days.
- Luggage Trolleys - At the time of this update it is not known if there is a fee to use the trolleys.
- Mobile Charging - Information not available
- Prayer Room - Location: International Terminal, Airside
- Rest Zones - Comfortable lounge style seating is available in the International Terminal.
- Showers - There are 12 showers available in the "Shower and Massage Lounge" mentioned above in the Airport Lounges section. Location: Hours: open 24 hours. If you are in transit, you can also use the Aqua Pods at the Eaton Smart Transit Hotel mentioned in the Airport Hotels section.
- Smoking Rooms - There is a smoking area in Terminal 1D on the first floor near Food Street. A ventilated smoking room can also be found in ther International Departures area after security (airside).
- Spa - There are four spas in the airport: Ishana (Terminal International Departures) • O2 Spa (Terminal 1D) • O2 Spa (Terminal 3 Domestic Departures) • Eaton Smart Transit Hotel (Terminal 3, Airside, Level 5)
- Strollers - if you are travelling with young children, the airport offers free strollers in Terminal 1D.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Carzonrent India Pvt Ltd is operational from Delhi International Terminal.
The Delhi Metro is one of the fastest way to commute in Delhi. Recently a superfast airport express has been put in service to connect the airport with central New Delhi. For more on schedules and times, visit the New Delhi Airport web site.
Most buses are owned either by the State-owned Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC) or private contractors.
The corporation runs a shuttle service every 30 minutes connecting the airport to central Delhi including Connaught Place & Interstate Bus Terminal.
All buses coming towards Terminal 3 will arrive and depart from a ‘staging area’ located opposite Centaur Hotel. From there to the Airport Terminal DIAL will provide a shuttle bus, every 15 minutes.
Regular bus services are available from inter-state bus terminals in the city. Services are extended to all the northern states and neighbouring areas of Delhi. Services are provided by state transport corporations and several private operators
For fares and schedules visit the DTC Web Site.
Delhi is well connected with most all cities directly and one can book tickets online and make plans for the entire travel in India. Though trips to Agra, Jaipur, etc are best on road, trains are best for overnight journeys.
Express Train - The Delhi Metro express train takes passengers from Terminal 3 to central New Delhi. Frequency: unknown. Fare: Rs. 150.
Departing from the Airport - First Train: 515am • Last Train: 11:15pm
Departing from New Delhi - First Train: 5:35am • Last Train: 11:35pm
For the convenience of passengers, Delhi Airport has a relationship with three cab operators: Meru Cabs located at T3 International Airport arrivals; Mega Cabs located at T3 International Airport arrivals and Easy Cabs located at T1C Domestic arrivals.
Airport Transportation: Getting Around The Airport
A free shuttle bus is available between the International and Domestic Terminals. Frequency: 20 minutes.
We Need Your Feedback!
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at New Delhi Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2015 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2015.
- Write a Review - Please take a few minutes to write your airport review. Whether you provided a quick tip or a detailed review, you will be helping other travellers in a similar situation. Leave a guest review OR register for an account.
Thank you for helping the Community!
New Delhi Travel Resources
- Tripadvisor - search New Delhi hotel deals, check availability and read traveller reviews.
Last Updated: 09 April 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.