New Delhi Indira Gandhi Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our New Delhi Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
The REAL surprise is T3 - the international terminal. It's incredible how they've taken EVERYTHING they did wrong and go about doing it absolutely right. - SixSigma1978
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at New Delhi Airport.
What to Expect
- This airport has plenty of overnight departures, so most travellers felt safe and not bothered while spending the night.
- The airport is divided into 2 current terminals, T1, and T3. T1 houses domestic and low-cost airlines. T3 is a newly built terminal for mostly international flights, with some national airlines.
- The facilities in modern T3 are simple but clean.
- A few Landside eateries are open 24-hours; see Airport Guide for locations.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- T3’s Airside has plenty of options to stretch out if you can grab a spot. Look for the couches in the main shopping area. There’s plenty of seats with and without armrests, and carpet in most spots.
- It never totally quiets down with so many overnight flights, so bring those earplugs and eye masks.
- A few travellers report airport staff asking them to move from the carpeted floor.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there is a transit hotel and sleeping pods inside the airport and several hotels are located nearby. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Showers are available in T3. See Showers in the airport guide below.
- Economy class travellers can buy entry to many airport lounges, and some have shower facilities. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our New Delhi Airport Guide. Send us your New Delhi Airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at New Delhi airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Plaza Premium Lounge (Domestic Departures) - Location: Terminal 1D, Airside, Level 2/Mezzanine Level. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (INR 1200 - 2 hours / INR 2400 - 5 hours / INR 3600 - 10 hours) • Book Online (£20 for 3 hours or £25 for 3-6 hours).
- Plaza Premium Lounge (Domestic Departures) - Location: Terminal 1D, Landside. Hours: open 24 hours. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (INR 1200 - 2 hours / INR 2400 - 5 hours / INR 3600 - 10 hours).
- Plaza Premium Lounge (Domestic Arrivals) - Location: Terminal 3, Landside, near Gate 1. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door.
- Plaza Premium Lounge (Domestic Departures) - Location: Terminal 3, Airside. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (INR 1200 - 2 hours / INR 2400 - 5 hours / INR 3600 - 10 hours) • Book Online (£20 for 3 hours or £25 for 3-6 hours).
- Plaza Premium Lounge (International Arrivals) - Location: Terminal 3, Landside, opposite exit gate 6. Showers are available (INR 500). Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (INR 1800 - 2 hours / INR 3000 - 5 hours / INR 4200 - 10 hours).
- Plaza Premium Lounge (International Departures) - Location: Terminal 3, Airside. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (INR 1800 - 2 hours / INR 3000 - 5 hours / INR 4200 - 10 hours) • Book Online (£25 for 3 hours or £35 for 3-6 hours).
- Plaza Premium Lounge (International Departures) - Location: Terminal 3, Airside. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (INR 1800 - 2 hours / INR 3000 - 5 hours / INR 4200 - 10 hours) • Book Online (£25 for 3 hours or £35 for 3-6 hours).
- ITC Welcome Group Green Lounge - Location: International Terminal 3, airside. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: tba.
Free WiFi is available at New Delhi Airport in Terminal 3 for 45 minutes. Connect to the "Tata Docomo" network. You will need a mobile phone (with Indian number) to receive a username and password. Extra time can be purchased for INR 99 (1 hour) and INR 199 (3 hours). Additionally, if you are not travelling with a mobile device, there are Internet/Laptop stations in every Terminal, in the Departures area. Rates: unknown.
If sleeping in New Delhi Airport does not appeal to you, there is a transit hotel and sleeping pods at the airport as well as hotels within a 5-10 minute radius of the airport.
- Holiday Inn Express New Delhi International Airport - Located inside the transit area. The hotel is divided into two wings with rooms available in both the International and the Domestic wings of Terminal 3. Access from Level 5, Terminal 3. Hourly rates and day rooms are available.
- Sam's Snooze at My Space - in transit sleeping pods are available on a hourly basis. Location: Terminal 3, International Departures, Gate 17. Rates: US$ 10/hr (single) and US$ 14/hr (double)
- Plaza Premium Lounge - Private day rooms with attached toilet and shower facilities. Rates start at 2500 INR for 3 hours minimum (single occupancy) and 3500 INR for 3 hours minimum (double occupancy). Three locations: Domestic Arrivals (T3), International Arrivals (T3), Domestic Departures Landside (1D)
- Ibis New Delhi Airport - Located between Terminal 1 and 3. Free airport shuttle.
- Hotel Delhi Aerocity - (5 minute drive from Terminal 3) This budget hotel provides airport transfers are available upon request for ($8) Rs.400/- (1 Car/ 3 persons) for the pick-up and ($4) Rs.200/- for drop-off.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near New Delhi Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Available 24 hours in these locations: T3 International (Arrivals and Departures) • T3 Domestic (Arrivals and Domestic) • T1A • T1D • T1C
- Baby Care Facilities - Nursing Rooms can be found in every Terminal. The rooms also include include toys and baby cots.
- Children's Play Area - Locations: Terminal 1, Airside and Terminal 3, International, Airside.
- Currency Exchange - Foreign exchange offices are located in these areas: T3 International (Arrivals and Departures) • T3 Domestic (Departures) • T1A • T1D • T1C.
- Drinking Water - There are several locations in the airport where water fountains provide reverse osmosis treated water.
- Food & Drinks - There are 24 hour food and beverage concessions available at these locations: Foodies Bar (T3 Arrivals Domestic, T3 Arrivals International and T1 Arrivals).
- Gaming - Amoeba offers a gaming area that is fun for the family. Locations: Terminal 3 International Arrivals and Domestic Arrivals.
- Information Desk - Information Booths can be found in T3 Airside and T3 Landside.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Location: Terminal 3, in the Airport Connect, Skywalk Level. You need to present your passport. Rates: 80 rupees (small) • 120 rupees (medium) • 160 rupees (large) for up to two hours. Then the rates become 20 rupees (small) • 30 rupees (medium) • 40 rupees (large) every hour (up to 8 hours). The daily rate is 200 rupees (small) • 400 rupees (medium) • 600 rupees (large) to a maximum storage time of 30 days.
- Luggage Trolleys - At the time of this update it is not known if there is a fee to use the trolleys.
- Medical Services - A staffed medical center is located in Terminal 3, open 24 hours a day.
- Prayer Room - Location: International Terminal, Airside
- Rest Zones - Comfortable lounge style seating is available in the International Terminal.
- Showers - There are showers available in the Terminal 3, Arrivals Area, beside WH Smith. Rates: unknown. Additionally, there are 12 showers available in the "Shower and Massage Lounge" mentioned above in the Airport Lounges section. Location: Hours: open 24 hours. If you are in transit, you can also use the Aqua Pods at the Eaton Smart Transit Hotel mentioned in the Airport Hotels section.
- Smoking Rooms - Smoking is only permitted in designated smoking lounges, available in all terminals, airside only. Smoking in any other area is prohibited.
- Spa - There are four spas in the airport: Ishana (Terminal International Departures) • O2 Spa (Terminal 1D) • O2 Spa (Terminal 3 Domestic Departures) • Eaton Smart Transit Hotel (Terminal 3, Airside, Level 5)
- Strollers - if you are travelling with young children, the airport offers free strollers in Terminal 1D.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Buses in Delhi are cheap, and one of the most common ways to travel around the city. The airport is served by both state-owned DTC buses and buses run by private contractors. One handy bus line is the DTC-operated Airport Express Route 4, which is a fleet of eco-friendly, air-conditioned shuttle buses that run at frequent intervals between Terminal 3, Connaught Place and Kashmiri Gate Interstate Bus Terminal. Airport Express buses provide service for a small fee and have ample room for luggage. Other DTC bus routes serve Terminal 2. For schedules and fare, go to the IGI Airport Bus Service page on the Government of Delhi website.
Please note: All buses serving Terminal 3 arrive and depart from a staging area opposite Centaur Hotel. The airport’s DIAL shuttles provide 24-hour service between this staging area and the airport terminals.
Connections to regional and inter-state buses are available from these three inter-state bus terminals (ISBT): Kashmiri Gate ISBT in northern Delhi, Anand Vihar ISBT in Trans-Yamuna and Sarai Kale Khan ISBT in southeast Delhi.
Carzonrent is available onsite to offer self-drive car rental or chauffeur-driven cars and limousines for hire.
The airport offers a free shuttle bus service between the Domestic and International terminals. Buses run in 20 minute intervals 24 hours a day.
Air-conditioned taxis are readily available around the clock at taxi ranks outside of the terminals. These airport-approved taxis are equipped with GPS-integrated meters to track location and ensure meter accuracy. Terminal 3 International Arrivals is served by Meru Cabs and Mega Cabs, while Terminal 1C Domestic Arrivals is served by Easy Cabs. Outside of the airport, passengers can hail a ride to the airport from any of the black and yellow taxis that serve the city of Delhi.
The Delhi Airport Metro Express is a fast and convenient way to travel between the airport and the city. As the “Orange Line” on the Delhi Metro network, the Airport Express runs between Dwarka Sector 21 and New Delhi Metro Station, with stops at Terminal 3, Delhi AeroCity Metro Station (with shuttle service to Terminal 1) and Connaught Place. Tickets are sold at ticket counters in the stations, and also from vending machines in the Arrivals area of the Domestic and International Terminals, and outside of T1 Arrivals. Passengers traveling with select airlines can check in for their flights at the Check-In facilities in New Delhi Metro Station. For schedules and fare information, go to the DMRC website.
Connections to long-distance trains are available at Indian Railways New Delhi Station, just a short walk from the New Delhi Metro Station.
Last Updated: 07 January 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.