New Delhi Indira Gandhi Airport
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our New Delhi Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
The REAL surprise is T3 - the international terminal. It's incredible how they've taken EVERYTHING they did wrong and go about doing it absolutely right. - SixSigma1978
Arrived in Delhi around midnight and had to take a connecting flight. Thanks to Indian bureaucratics; you're only allowed into the transit area when you have a boarding pass. The thing is; boarding passes for connecting flights can only be issued apparently in Delhi itself. So if you have to continue on a flight of an airline that only has one or two daily flights, as I did; and you happen to be there outside office hours, you're basically screwed. My colleagues and I spent an uncomfortable 11 hours on the benches in front of the desk; not allowed to enter the terminal. Every single bench there has armrests, so don't think of stretching out. Also, each time you wanna go to the toilet or just wanna stretch your legs; you have to go out of the transit desk area, meaning you need to pass a security checkpoint. Funny thing is; I had been staring at that security guy the last few hours; and still he insisted on controling me each bloody time I wanted to take a walk. 'Procedure sir'... because we all know weapons often materialise out of thin air.
There are vending machines in the area; but they only accept Indian rupees. Of course; everybody transiting through Delhi obviously has those handy...
Luckily there's Free WiFi... which didn't work.
Oh; and then there's the giant aircon machine which blows cold air in your neck the whole night. Such a memorable experience... and the 'passengers are advised not to leave their luggage unattended' message which is played every 2 minutes...
Once we finally made it into the transit area, I was thrilled to see all the squished cockroaches on the restaurant level. It really ads to the experience.
Bottom line: AVOID DELHI.
Have you been to New Delhi Airport recently? Tell us about it!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- Plaza Premium has six lounges at the New Delhi airport that are open 24 hours. Package rates are:
International Departures: INR 1500 (2 hrs) • INR 2500 (5 hrs) • INR 3500 (10 hrs)
Domestic Departures: INR 1000 (2 hrs) • INR 2000 (5 hrs) • INR 3000 (10 hrs)
Arrivals: INR 1000 (2 hrs) • INR 2000 single / INR 3000 double (3 hrs) • INR 3000 single / INR 4000 double (6 hrs). To guarantee that you have a seat, you can pre-book these lounges online.
» book lounge
- Terminal 1 - Domestic Departures - Location: Airside, Mezzanine Level.
- Terminal 3 - International Arrivals - Location: Landside, opposite exit gate 6. Showers are available.
- Terminal 3 - Domestic Arrivals - Location: Landside. Showers are available.
- Terminal 3 - International Departures - Location: Airside. Showers are available.
- Terminal 3 - Domestic Departures - Location: Airside.
- Terminal 3 - International Departures - Location: Airside.
- ITC Welcome Group Green Lounge - Location: International Terminal 3, airside. Hours: open 24 hours
- Sams Snooze at My Space - International Terminal 3, airside. Hours: open 24 hours
- Amex Platinum Lounge - Terminal 1D
Free WiFi is available at the New Delhi Airport in Terminal 3 for 20 minutes. Connect to the "Aircel WiFi" network. You will need a mobile phone to receive a username and password. Extra time can be purchased for INR 99 (1 hour) and INR 199 (3 hours).
If sleeping in the New Delhi Airport does not appeal to you, there is a transit hotel and sleeping pods at the airport as well as hotels within a 5-10 minute radius of the airport.
- Eaton Smart New Delhi Transit Hotel - The hotel is divided into two wings with rooms available in both the International and the Domestic wings of Terminal 3. Access from Level 5, Terminal 3. Hourly rates and day rooms are available.
- Sam's Snooze at My Space - in transit sleeping pods are available on a hourly basis. Location: Terminal 3, International Departures, Gate 17. Rates: US$ 10/hr (single) and US$ 14/hr (double)
- Hotel Delhi Aerocity - airport pick-up available
- Hotel Impress - airport pick-up available
- The Uppal Hotel - 10 minutes from the International Terminal.
- Ibis New Delhi Airport - opening in June 2013
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near New Delhi Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Available 24 hours in these locations: T3 International (Arrivals and Departures) • T3 Domestic (Arrivals and Domestic) • T1A • T1D • T1C
- Car Rentals - Carzonrent India. Location: Terminal 3 International and Domestic Arrivals.
- Children's Play Area - Location: Airside.
- Currency Exchange - Foreign exchange offices are located in these areas: T3 International (Arrivals and Departures) • T3 Domestic (Departures) • T1A • T1D • T1C
- Food & Drinks -
There are 24 hour food and beverage concessions available at these locations:
»Landside: Foodies Bar (T3 Arrivals)
»Airside: Foodies Bar (T1C) • Foodies Bar (T1D)
- Gaming - Amoeba offers a gaming area that is fun for the family. Locations: Terminal 3 International Arrivals and Domestic Arrivals.
- Information Desk - Information not available
- Kid's Zones - Children's play areas are available Airside.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Location: in the Airport Connect, Skywalk Level of Terminal 3. Rates: 70 rupees (small) • 100 rupees (medium) • 140 rupees (large)
- Luggage Trolleys - At the time of this update it is not known if there is a fee to use the trolleys.
- Prayer Room - Location: International Terminal, Airside
- Showers - There are 12 showers available in the "Shower and Massage Lounge" mentioned above in the Airport Lounges section. Location: Hours: open 24 hours. If you are in transit, you can also use the Aqua Pods at the Eaton Smart Transit Hotel mentioned in the Airport Hotels section.
- Smoking Rooms - There is a smoking area in Terminal 1D on the first floor near Food Street. A ventilated smoking room can also be found in ther International Departures area after security (airside).
- Spa - There are four spas in the airport: Ishana (Terminal International Departures) • O2 Spa (Terminal 1D) • O2 Spa (Terminal 3 Domestic Departures) • Eaton Smart Transit Hotel (Terminal 3, Airside, Level 5)
- Strollers - if you are travelling with young children, the airport offers free strollers in Terminal 1D.
Open 24 hours
Getting Around: Inter-Terminal Transfers
A free shuttle bus is available between the International and Domestic Terminals, while complimentary golf cart service is available between domestic terminals.
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at New Delhi Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2014 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2014.
- Submit your Airport Review - Register to submit your airport review or simply email your annonymous review to me and I will add it to the database.
Thank you for helping the Community!
New Delhi Travel Resources
- New Delhi Hotel Deals - compare rates, check availability and read reviews
Last Updated: 02 June 2014
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you du ring your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.