New Delhi Indira Gandhi Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our New Delhi Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
The REAL surprise is T3 - the international terminal. It's incredible how they've taken EVERYTHING they did wrong and go about doing it absolutely right. - SixSigma1978
August 2015 - I'm a solo female traveler and I've spent one night at the Delhi Airport waiting for a connection flight that was leaving at 5am. It is not true that you cannot get boarding passes for connecting flights outside of India (as I've read in another review). I was flying in from Thailand (and flying out to Abu Dhabi) and could get a boarding pass after checking in for my first flight (an internal one to Bangkok) as usual, so I didn't get out of the airside area.
The area is HUGE and there are plenty of options: some couches in the shopping area (I guess that was the 3rd floor, near Mango and many fashion shops), some seats (with or without armrests) and PLENTY of carpeted areas, so you're guaranteed to find a quiet spot. If you have a basic camping mattress you are sorted. Being in the middle of the shopping area, the couch section can be noisy, but hey, it's an airport and if you're up to spending the night there you probably have your earplugs and eye mask with you, don't you? :)
Most restaurants accepted the main foreign currencies too, toilets were clean.
I couldn't get the internet to work, but I didn't try too hard.
All in all a good experience. Asian airports are the best!!
Have you been to New Delhi Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at New Delhi airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Plaza Premium Lounge (Domestic Departures) - Location: Terminal 1D, Airside, Level 2/Mezzanine Level. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (INR 1200 - 2 hours / INR 2400 - 5 hours / INR 3600 - 10 hours) • Book Online (£20 for 3 hours or £25 for 3-6 hours) • Priority Pass.
- Plaza Premium Lounge (Domestic Departures) - Location: Terminal 1D, Landside. Hours: open 24 hours. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (INR 1200 - 2 hours / INR 2400 - 5 hours / INR 3600 - 10 hours) • Priority Pass.
- Plaza Premium Lounge (Domestic Arrivals) - Location: Terminal 3, Landside, near Gate 1. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Priority Pass.
- Plaza Premium Lounge (Domestic Departures) - Location: Terminal 3, Airside. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (INR 1200 - 2 hours / INR 2400 - 5 hours / INR 3600 - 10 hours) • Book Online (£20 for 3 hours or £25 for 3-6 hours) • Priority Pass.
- Plaza Premium Lounge (International Arrivals) - Location: Terminal 3, Landside, opposite exit gate 6. Showers are available (INR 500). Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (INR 1800 - 2 hours / INR 3000 - 5 hours / INR 4200 - 10 hours) • Priority Pass.
- Plaza Premium Lounge (International Departures) - Location: Terminal 3, Airside. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (INR 1800 - 2 hours / INR 3000 - 5 hours / INR 4200 - 10 hours) • Book Online (£25 for 3 hours or £35 for 3-6 hours) • Priority Pass.
- Plaza Premium Lounge (International Departures) - Location: Terminal 3, Airside. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (INR 1800 - 2 hours / INR 3000 - 5 hours / INR 4200 - 10 hours) • Book Online (£25 for 3 hours or £35 for 3-6 hours) • Priority Pass.
- ITC Welcome Group Green Lounge - Location: International Terminal 3, airside. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
Free WiFi is available at New Delhi Airport in Terminal 3 for 45 minutes. Connect to the "Tata Docomo" network. You will need a mobile phone (with Indian number) to receive a username and password. Extra time can be purchased for INR 99 (1 hour) and INR 199 (3 hours). Additionally, if you are not travelling with a mobile device, there are Internet/Laptop stations in every Terminal, in the Departures area. Rates: unknown.
If sleeping in New Delhi Airport does not appeal to you, there is a transit hotel and sleeping pods at the airport as well as hotels within a 5-10 minute radius of the airport.
- Eaton Smart New Delhi Transit Hotel - (soon to be a Holiday Inn Express in late 2015) The hotel is divided into two wings with rooms available in both the International and the Domestic wings of Terminal 3. Access from Level 5, Terminal 3. Hourly rates and day rooms are available.
- Sam's Snooze at My Space - in transit sleeping pods are available on a hourly basis. Location: Terminal 3, International Departures, Gate 17. Rates: US$ 10/hr (single) and US$ 14/hr (double)
- Plaza Premium Lounge - Private day rooms with attached toilet and shower facilities. Rates start at 2500 INR for 3 hours minimum (single occupancy) and 3500 INR for 3 hours minimum (double occupancy). Three locations: Domestic Arrivals (T3), International Arrivals (T3), Domestic Departures Landside (1D)
- Ibis New Delhi Airport - Located between Terminal 1 and 3. Free airport shuttle.
- Hotel Delhi Aerocity - (5 minute drive from Terminal 3) This budget hotel provides airport transfers are available upon request for ($8) Rs.400/- (1 Car/ 3 persons) for the pick-up and ($4) Rs.200/- for drop-off.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near New Delhi Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Available 24 hours in these locations: T3 International (Arrivals and Departures) • T3 Domestic (Arrivals and Domestic) • T1A • T1D • T1C
- Baby Care Facilities - Nursing Rooms can be found in every Terminal. The rooms also include include toys and baby cots.
- Children's Play Area - Locations: Terminal 1, Airside and Terminal 3, International, Airside.
- Currency Exchange - Foreign exchange offices are located in these areas: T3 International (Arrivals and Departures) • T3 Domestic (Departures) • T1A • T1D • T1C.
- Drinking Water - There are several locations in the airport where water fountains provide reverse osmosis treated water.
- Food & Drinks - There are 24 hour food and beverage concessions available at these locations: Foodies Bar (T3 Arrivals Domestic, T3 Arrivals International and T1 Arrivals).
- Gaming - Amoeba offers a gaming area that is fun for the family. Locations: Terminal 3 International Arrivals and Domestic Arrivals.
- Information Desk - Information Booths can be found in T3 Airside and T3 Landside.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Location: Terminal 3, in the Airport Connect, Skywalk Level. You need to present your passport. Rates: 80 rupees (small) • 120 rupees (medium) • 160 rupees (large) for up to two hours. Then the rates become 20 rupees (small) • 30 rupees (medium) • 40 rupees (large) every hour (up to 8 hours). The daily rate is 200 rupees (small) • 400 rupees (medium) • 600 rupees (large) to a maximum storage time of 30 days.
- Luggage Trolleys - At the time of this update it is not known if there is a fee to use the trolleys.
- Medical Services - A staffed medical center is located in Terminal 3, open 24 hours a day.
- Prayer Room - Location: International Terminal, Airside
- Rest Zones - Comfortable lounge style seating is available in the International Terminal.
- Showers - There are showers available in the Terminal 3, Arrivals Area, beside WH Smith. Rates: unknown. Additionally, there are 12 showers available in the "Shower and Massage Lounge" mentioned above in the Airport Lounges section. Location: Hours: open 24 hours. If you are in transit, you can also use the Aqua Pods at the Eaton Smart Transit Hotel mentioned in the Airport Hotels section.
- Smoking Rooms - Smoking is only permitted in designated smoking lounges, available in all terminals, airside only. Smoking in any other area is prohibited.
- Spa - There are four spas in the airport: Ishana (Terminal International Departures) • O2 Spa (Terminal 1D) • O2 Spa (Terminal 3 Domestic Departures) • Eaton Smart Transit Hotel (Terminal 3, Airside, Level 5)
- Strollers - if you are travelling with young children, the airport offers free strollers in Terminal 1D.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Buses in Delhi are cheap, and one of the most common ways to travel around the city. The airport is served by both state-owned DTC buses and buses run by private contractors. One handy bus line is the DTC-operated Airport Express Route 4, which is a fleet of eco-friendly, air-conditioned shuttle buses that run at frequent intervals between Terminal 3, Connaught Place and Kashmiri Gate Interstate Bus Terminal. Airport Express buses provide service for a small fee and have ample room for luggage. Other DTC bus routes serve Terminal 2. For schedules and fare, go to the IGI Airport Bus Service page on the Government of Delhi website.
Please note: All buses serving Terminal 3 arrive and depart from a staging area opposite Centaur Hotel. The airport’s DIAL shuttles provide 24-hour service between this staging area and the airport terminals.
Connections to regional and inter-state buses are available from these three inter-state bus terminals (ISBT): Kashmiri Gate ISBT in northern Delhi, Anand Vihar ISBT in Trans-Yamuna and Sarai Kale Khan ISBT in southeast Delhi.
Carzonrent is available onsite to offer self-drive car rental or chauffeur-driven cars and limousines for hire.
The airport offers a free shuttle bus service between the Domestic and International terminals. Buses run in 20 minute intervals 24 hours a day.
Air-conditioned taxis are readily available around the clock at taxi ranks outside of the terminals. These airport-approved taxis are equipped with GPS-integrated meters to track location and ensure meter accuracy. Terminal 3 International Arrivals is served by Meru Cabs and Mega Cabs, while Terminal 1C Domestic Arrivals is served by Easy Cabs. Outside of the airport, passengers can hail a ride to the airport from any of the black and yellow taxis that serve the city of Delhi.
The Delhi Airport Metro Express is a fast and convenient way to travel between the airport and the city. As the “Orange Line” on the Delhi Metro network, the Airport Express runs between Dwarka Sector 21 and New Delhi Metro Station, with stops at Terminal 3, Delhi AeroCity Metro Station (with shuttle service to Terminal 1) and Connaught Place. Tickets are sold at ticket counters in the stations, and also from vending machines in the Arrivals area of the Domestic and International Terminals, and outside of T1 Arrivals. Passengers traveling with select airlines can check in for their flights at the Check-In facilities in New Delhi Metro Station. For schedules and fare information, go to the DMRC website.
Connections to long-distance trains are available at Indian Railways New Delhi Station, just a short walk from the New Delhi Metro Station.
Last Updated: 07 January 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.