New Delhi Indira Gandhi Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our New Delhi Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
The REAL surprise is T3 - the international terminal. It's incredible how they've taken EVERYTHING they did wrong and go about doing it absolutely right. - SixSigma1978
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at New Delhi Airport.
What to Expect
- This airport has plenty of overnight departures, so most travellers felt safe and not bothered while spending the night.
- The airport is divided into 2 current terminals, T1, and T3. T1 houses domestic and low-cost airlines. T3 is a newly built terminal for mostly international flights, with some national airlines.
- The facilities in modern T3 are simple but clean.
- A few Landside eateries are open 24-hours; see Airport Guide for locations.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- T3’s Airside has plenty of options to stretch out if you can grab a spot. Look for the couches in the main shopping area. There’s plenty of seats with and without armrests, and carpet in most spots.
- It never totally quiets down with so many overnight flights, so bring those earplugs and eye masks.
- A few travellers report airport staff asking them to move from the carpeted floor.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there is a transit hotel and sleeping pods inside the airport and several hotels are located nearby. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Showers are available in T3. See Showers in the airport guide below.
- Economy class travellers can buy entry to many airport lounges, and some have shower facilities. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our New Delhi Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at New Delhi airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Plaza Premium Lounge (Domestic Departures) - Location: Terminal 1D, Airside, Level 2/Mezzanine Level. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (INR 1200 - 2 hours / INR 2400 - 5 hours / INR 3600 - 10 hours) • Book Online (£20 for 3 hours or £25 for 3-6 hours)
- Plaza Premium Lounge (Domestic Departures) - Location: Terminal 1D, Landside. Hours: open 24 hours. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (INR 1200 - 2 hours / INR 2400 - 5 hours / INR 3600 - 10 hours)
- Plaza Premium Lounge (Domestic Arrivals) - Location: Terminal 3, Landside, near Gate 1. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door
- Plaza Premium Lounge (Domestic Departures) - Location: Terminal 3, Airside. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (INR 1200 - 2 hours / INR 2400 - 5 hours / INR 3600 - 10 hours) • Book Online (£20 for 3 hours or £25 for 3-6 hours)
- Plaza Premium Lounge (International Arrivals) - Location: Terminal 3, Landside, opposite exit gate 6. Showers are available (INR 500). Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (INR 1800 - 2 hours / INR 3000 - 5 hours / INR 4200 - 10 hours) • Book Online (US$ 27 for 3 hours • US$ 45 for 6 hours • US$ 63 for 12 hours)
- Plaza Premium Lounge (International Departures) - Location: Terminal 3, Airside, Level 3. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (INR 1800 - 2 hours / INR 3000 - 5 hours / INR 4200 - 10 hours) • Book Online (£25 for 3 hours or £35 for 3-6 hours)
- Plaza Premium Lounge (International Departures) - Location: Terminal 3, Airside. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (INR 1800 - 2 hours / INR 3000 - 5 hours / INR 4200 - 10 hours) • Book Online (£25 for 3 hours or £35 for 3-6 hours)
- ITC Welcome Group Green Lounge - Location: International Terminal 3, airside. Hours: open 24 hours.
Free WiFi is available at New Delhi Airport. Connect to the “Tata Docomo Wi-Fi” network and enter your information into the login page to receive your serial number and PIN via SMS text message. Indian mobile number required for access.
If sleeping in New Delhi Airport does not appeal to you, there is a transit hotel and sleeping pods at the airport as well as hotels within a 5-10 minute radius of the airport.
- Holiday Inn Express New Delhi International Airport - Located inside the transit area. The hotel is divided into two wings with rooms available in both the International and the Domestic wings of Terminal 3. Access from Level 5, Terminal 3. Hourly rates and day rooms are available.
- Sam's Snooze at My Space - In-transit sleeping pods are available on a hourly basis. Location: Terminal 3, International Departures, Gate 17. Rates: US$ 12/hr (single) and US$ 22/hr (double).
- Plaza Premium Lounge - Private day rooms with attached toilet and shower facilities. Rates start at 2500 INR for 3 hours minimum (single occupancy) and 3500 INR for 3 hours minimum (double occupancy). Three locations: Domestic Arrivals (T3), International Arrivals (T3), Domestic Departures Landside (1D)
- Ibis New Delhi Airport - Located between Terminal 1 and 3. Airport shuttle service is not available.
- Hotel Delhi Aerocity - (5 minute drive from Terminal 3) This budget hotel provides airport transfers (24 hours a day) are available upon request for Rs.480/- (1 Car/ 3 persons) for the pick-up and Rs.300/- for drop-off.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Indira Gandhi Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - ATMs are available in T3 International Departures and Arrivals areas • T3 Domestic Departures and Arrivals areas • T1 Arrivals • T1D
- Baby Care Facilities -Diaper-changing facilities, baby cot, toys and more are available in the Child Care Lounges, located in every terminal. Strollers are available for use in the airport, free of charge, from T1D and T3.
- Children's Play Area - Location: International Departures
- Currency Exchange - Central Bank of India offers foreign currency exchange from two locations: (T3/International Departures, landside, Check-In Hall)(T3/International Arrivals, landside, Baggage Reclaim). Thomas Cook offers foreign currency exchange and travel services from eight kiosks located throughout T3 Domestic Departures and Arrivals and T3 International Departures and Arrivals.
- Drinking Water - There are several locations in the airport where water fountains provide reverse osmosis treated water.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty-free shopping is available in T3 International Arrivals and Departures areas. A variety of retail shops are available throughout the airport.
- Flight Simulator - Live your dream of being a pilot or amp up those pre-flight jitters at The Cockpit flight simulator. Experience piloting a Boeing 737 in varying visibility and weather patterns, with over 24,000 airfields to choose from! Location: T3 International Departures Hours: unknown.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. At the time of this update, we are unable to confirm the availability of 24-hour dining.
- Gaming - Amoeba offers a gaming area that is fun for the family. Locations: Terminal 3 International Arrivals and Domestic Arrivals.
- Information Desk - Information Booths can be found in T3 Airside and T3 Landside.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Domestic and International passengers can store luggage for up to 30 days in the Left Luggage Room. Rates, depending on the size of the bag, are as follows: Rs. 80/- to Rs. 160/- per bag for up to 2 hours • Rs. 20/- to Rs. 40/- per bag every hour after up to 8 hours • or a flat daily rate of Rs. 200/- to Rs. 600/- per bag, per day. A valid passport or photo ID is required. Location: T3, airport connect building (Metro station) Hours: unknown
- Luggage Trolleys - At the time of this update it is not known if there is a fee to use the trolleys.
- Luggage Wrapping - Secure Wrap luggage wrapping service is available landside in the T3 Check-In Hall.
- Medical Services - Medanta The Medicity offers urgent and emergency medical care in these locations: T1D • T3 Domestic Departures and Arrivals areas • T3 International Departures and Arrivals areas.
- Prayer Room - Location: International Terminal, Airside
- Rest Zones - Comfortable lounge style seating is available in the International Terminal.
- Showers - There are showers available in the Terminal 3, Arrivals Area, beside WH Smith. Rates: unknown. Additionally, there are 12 showers available in the "Shower and Massage Lounge" mentioned above in the Airport Lounges section. Location: Hours: open 24 hours. If you are in transit, you can also use the Aqua Pods at the Eaton Smart Transit Hotel mentioned in the Airport Hotels section.
- Smoking Rooms - Locations: T1D, 1st floor • T3 Domestic, pier junction near the retail area • T3 International, pier junction near Gate 15
- Spa - Express spa treatments are available at Heaven on Earth Spa Express in Terminal 1D. O2 Spa offers spa treatments with a Thai-Indian element over in T3 Domestic Departures.
- Strollers - if you are travelling with young children, the airport offers free strollers in Terminal 1D.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Buses in Delhi are cheap, and one of the most common ways to travel around the city. The airport is served by both state-owned DTC buses and buses run by private contractors. One handy bus line is the DTC-operated Airport Express Route 4, which is a fleet of eco-friendly, air-conditioned shuttle buses that run at frequent intervals between Terminal 3, Connaught Place and Kashmiri Gate Interstate Bus Terminal. Airport Express buses provide service for a small fee and have ample room for luggage. Other DTC bus routes serve Terminal 2. For schedules and fare, go to the IGI Airport Bus Service page on the Government of Delhi website.
Please note: All buses serving Terminal 3 arrive and depart from a staging area opposite Centaur Hotel. The airport’s DIAL shuttles provide 24-hour service between this staging area and the airport terminals.
Connections to regional and inter-state buses are available from these three inter-state bus terminals (ISBT): Kashmiri Gate ISBT in northern Delhi, Anand Vihar ISBT in Trans-Yamuna and Sarai Kale Khan ISBT in southeast Delhi.
Carzonrent is available onsite to offer self-drive car rental or chauffeur-driven cars and limousines for hire.
The airport offers a free shuttle bus service between the Domestic and International terminals. Buses run in 20 minute intervals 24 hours a day.
Air-conditioned taxis are readily available around the clock at taxi ranks outside of the terminals. These airport-approved taxis are equipped with GPS-integrated meters to track location and ensure meter accuracy. Terminal 3 International Arrivals is served by Meru Cabs and Mega Cabs, while Terminal 1C Domestic Arrivals is served by Easy Cabs. Outside of the airport, passengers can hail a ride to the airport from any of the black and yellow taxis that serve the city of Delhi.
The Delhi Airport Metro Express is a fast and convenient way to travel between the airport and the city. As the “Orange Line” on the Delhi Metro network, the Airport Express runs between Dwarka Sector 21 and New Delhi Metro Station, with stops at Terminal 3, Delhi AeroCity Metro Station (with shuttle service to Terminal 1) and Connaught Place. Tickets are sold at ticket counters in the stations, and also from vending machines in the Arrivals area of the Domestic and International Terminals, and outside of T1 Arrivals. Passengers traveling with select airlines can check in for their flights at the Check-In facilities in New Delhi Metro Station. For schedules and fare information, go to the DMRC website.
Connections to long-distance trains are available at Indian Railways New Delhi Station, just a short walk from the New Delhi Metro Station.
Last Updated: 24 March 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.