New Delhi Indira Gandhi Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our New Delhi Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
The REAL surprise is T3 - the international terminal. It's incredible how they've taken EVERYTHING they did wrong and go about doing it absolutely right. - SixSigma1978
August 2015 - I'm a solo female traveler and I've spent one night at the Delhi Airport waiting for a connection flight that was leaving at 5am. It is not true that you cannot get boarding passes for connecting flights outside of India (as I've read in another review). I was flying in from Thailand (and flying out to Abu Dhabi) and could get a boarding pass after checking in for my first flight (an internal one to Bangkok) as usual, so I didn't get out of the airside area.
The area is HUGE and there are plenty of options: some couches in the shopping area (I guess that was the 3rd floor, near Mango and many fashion shops), some seats (with or without armrests) and PLENTY of carpeted areas, so you're guaranteed to find a quiet spot. If you have a basic camping mattress you are sorted. Being in the middle of the shopping area, the couch section can be noisy, but hey, it's an airport and if you're up to spending the night there you probably have your earplugs and eye mask with you, don't you? :)
Most restaurants accepted the main foreign currencies too, toilets were clean.
I couldn't get the internet to work, but I didn't try too hard.
All in all a good experience. Asian airports are the best!!
Have you been to New Delhi Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at New Delhi airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Plaza Premium has six lounges at the New Delhi airport that are open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online • Priority Pass. Package rates are:
International Departures: INR 1500 (2 hrs) • INR 2500 (5 hrs) • INR 3500 (10 hrs)
Domestic Departures: INR 1000 (2 hrs) • INR 2000 (5 hrs) • INR 3000 (10 hrs)
Arrivals: INR 1000 (2 hrs) • INR 2000 single / INR 3000 double (3 hrs) • INR 3000 single / INR 4000 double (6 hrs).
- Terminal 1 - Domestic Departures - Location: Airside, Mezzanine Level.
- Terminal 3 - International Arrivals - Location: Landside, opposite exit gate 6. Showers are available.
- Terminal 3 - Domestic Arrivals - Location: Landside. Showers are available.
- Terminal 3 - International Departures - Location: Airside. Showers are available.
- Terminal 3 - Domestic Departures - Location: Airside.
- Terminal 3 - International Departures - Location: Airside.
- ITC Welcome Group Green Lounge - Location: International Terminal 3, airside. Hours: open 24 hours Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
- Sams Snooze at My Space - International Terminal 3, airside. Hours: open 24 hours
Free WiFi is available at New Delhi Airport in Terminal 3 for 20 minutes. Connect to the "Tata Docomo" network. You will need a mobile phone to receive a username and password. Extra time can be purchased for INR 99 (1 hour) and INR 199 (3 hours).
Additionally, if you are not travelling with a mobile device, there are Internet/Laptop stations in every Terminal, in the Departures area. Rates: unknown.
If sleeping in New Delhi Airport does not appeal to you, there is a transit hotel and sleeping pods at the airport as well as hotels within a 5-10 minute radius of the airport.
- Eaton Smart New Delhi Transit Hotel - The hotel is divided into two wings with rooms available in both the International and the Domestic wings of Terminal 3. Access from Level 5, Terminal 3. Hourly rates and day rooms are available.
- Sam's Snooze at My Space - in transit sleeping pods are available on a hourly basis. Location: Terminal 3, International Departures, Gate 17. Rates: US$ 10/hr (single) and US$ 14/hr (double)
- Plaza Premium Lounge - Private day rooms with attached toilet and shower facilities. Rates start at 2500 INR for 3 hours minimum (single occupancy) and 3500 INR for 3 hours minimum (double occupancy). Three locations: Domestic Arrivals (T3), International Arrivals (T3), Domestic Departures Landside (1D)
- Ibis New Delhi Airport - Located between Terminal 1 and 3. Free airport shuttle.
- Hotel Delhi Aerocity - (5 minute drive from Terminal 3) This budget hotel provides airport transfers are available upon request for ($8) Rs.400/- (1 Car/ 3 persons) for the pick-up and ($4) Rs.200/- for drop-off.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near New Delhi Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Available 24 hours in these locations: T3 International (Arrivals and Departures) • T3 Domestic (Arrivals and Domestic) • T1A • T1D • T1C
- Baby Care Facilities - Nursing Rooms can be found in every Terminal. The rooms also include include toys and baby cots.
- Children's Play Area - Locations: Terminal 1, Airside and Terminal 3, International, Airside.
- Currency Exchange - Foreign exchange offices are located in these areas: T3 International (Arrivals and Departures) • T3 Domestic (Departures) • T1A • T1D • T1C
- Food & Drinks -
There are 24 hour food and beverage concessions available at these locations:
»Landside: Foodies Bar (T3 Arrivals)
»Airside: Foodies Bar (T1C) • Foodies Bar (T1D)
- Gaming - Amoeba offers a gaming area that is fun for the family. Locations: Terminal 3 International Arrivals and Domestic Arrivals.
- Information Desk - Information Booths can be found in T3 Airside and T3 Landside.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Location: Terminal 3, in the Airport Connect, Skywalk Level. You need to present your passport. Rates: 80 rupees (small) • 120 rupees (medium) • 160 rupees (large) for up to two hours. Then the rates become 20 rupees (small) • 30 rupees (medium) • 40 rupees (large) every hour (up to 8 hours). The daily rate is 200 rupees (small) • 400 rupees (medium) • 600 rupees (large) to a maximum storage time of 30 days.
- Luggage Trolleys - At the time of this update it is not known if there is a fee to use the trolleys.
- Medical Services - A staffed medical center is located in Terminal 3, open 24 hours a day.
- Mobile Charging - Information not available
- Prayer Room - Location: International Terminal, Airside
- Rest Zones - Comfortable lounge style seating is available in the International Terminal.
- Showers - There are showers available in the Terminal 3, Arrivals Area, beside WH Smith. Rates: unknown. Additionally, there are 12 showers available in the "Shower and Massage Lounge" mentioned above in the Airport Lounges section. Location: Hours: open 24 hours. If you are in transit, you can also use the Aqua Pods at the Eaton Smart Transit Hotel mentioned in the Airport Hotels section.
- Smoking Rooms - Smoking is only permitted in designated smoking lounges, available in all terminals, airside only. Smoking in any other area is prohibited.
- Spa - There are four spas in the airport: Ishana (Terminal International Departures) • O2 Spa (Terminal 1D) • O2 Spa (Terminal 3 Domestic Departures) • Eaton Smart Transit Hotel (Terminal 3, Airside, Level 5)
- Strollers - if you are travelling with young children, the airport offers free strollers in Terminal 1D.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Carzonrent India Pvt Ltd is operational from Delhi International Terminal.
The Delhi Metro is one of the fastest way to commute in Delhi. Recently a superfast airport express has been put in service to connect the airport with central New Delhi. For more on schedules and times, visit the New Delhi Airport web site.
Most buses are owned either by the State-owned Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC) or private contractors.
The corporation runs a shuttle service every 30 minutes connecting the airport to central Delhi including Connaught Place & Interstate Bus Terminal.
All buses coming towards Terminal 3 will arrive and depart from a ‘staging area’ located opposite Centaur Hotel. From there to the Airport Terminal DIAL will provide a shuttle bus, every 15 minutes.
Regular bus services are available from inter-state bus terminals in the city. Services are extended to all the northern states and neighbouring areas of Delhi. Services are provided by state transport corporations and several private operators
For fares and schedules visit the DTC Web Site.
Delhi is well connected with most all cities directly and one can book tickets online and make plans for the entire travel in India. Though trips to Agra, Jaipur, etc are best on road, trains are best for overnight journeys.
Express Train - The Delhi Metro express train takes passengers from Terminal 3 to central New Delhi. Frequency: unknown. Fare: Rs. 150.
Departing from the Airport - First Train: 515am • Last Train: 11:15pm
Departing from New Delhi - First Train: 5:35am • Last Train: 11:35pm
For the convenience of passengers, Delhi Airport has a relationship with three cab operators: Meru Cabs located at T3 International Airport arrivals; Mega Cabs located at T3 International Airport arrivals and Easy Cabs located at T1C Domestic arrivals.
Airport Transportation: Getting Around The Airport
A free shuttle bus is available between the International and Domestic Terminals. Frequency: 20 minutes.
We Need Your Feedback!
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at New Delhi Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete our Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports.
- Write a Review - Please take a few minutes to write your airport review. Whether you provided a quick tip or a detailed review, you will be helping other travellers in a similar situation. Leave a guest review OR register for an account.
Thank you for helping the Community!
New Delhi Travel Resources
- Tripadvisor - search New Delhi hotel deals, check availability and read traveller reviews.
Last Updated: 06 October 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.