Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our New Delhi Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
The REAL surprise is T3 – the international terminal. It’s incredible how they’ve taken EVERYTHING they did wrong and go about doing it absolutely right. – SixSigma1978
DEL Airport Overview
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at New Delhi Indira Gandhi Airport.
What to Expect
New Delhi Airport (code: DEL) consists of three terminals (T1, T2 and T3). T1 houses domestic and low-cost airlines and T2 houses a handful of these airlines that have been relocated while T1 expansions are underway. T3 is the newest and most modern of the three, and houses mainly international flights. All terminals are directly connected to the Main Hall.
Free WiFi is available and the airport has a number of power outlets and mobile charging machines scattered throughout. Be forewarned that some travellers have reported issues retrieving devices from these machines!
For those looking for a little added comfort, there are first class lounges, some of which have showers, that economy class passengers can pay to access. For locations and access information, see Airport Lounges in the below.
Sleeping in New Delhi Airport
The main shopping area in T3 has couches that you can stretch out on and otherwise there are plenty of seats without armrests and carpeted areas. That said, the airport never totally quiets down so if you are going to overnight, come prepared with earplugs or noise cancelling headphones and a sleep mask. Explore our guide to sleeping in New Delhi Airport or read some traveller airport reviews for more tips. If you’re looking for uninterrupted sleep during your layover, there are sleep pods and a transit hotel inside the airport, and several hotels nearby connected by shuttles. See Airport Hotels in the guide below.
Some airport reviews and tips in this guide and elsewhere on the site were written before March 2020 and may no longer be valid. To help us keep this guide up-to-date, you can add or update information or write a review to submit airport tips and photos. You can also visit the airport’s web site for current information.
For more airport information continue scrolling down to explore more in our New Delhi Airport Guide.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security. For more information on Europe’s Schengen Area, click here.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
- Plaza Premium Lounge (Terminal 1, Domestic) – Temporarily Closed – Location: Airside, Level 2/Mezzanine Level. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge pass • Lounge membership programs.
- Plaza Premium Lounge – Location: Landside. Hours: open 24 hours. Private resting area ($) and showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Lounge membership programs.
- Plaza Premium Lounge (Domestic) – Location: Airside, near Gate 25. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Lounge membership programs.
- Centurion Lounge – Location: Airside, Domestic Departures, adjacent to Gate 27 and 28. Lounge Access: American Express® Card Members • Lounge membership programs.
- Plaza Premium Lounge (Terminal 3, International and Domestic Arrivals) – Location: Landside, near Meet and Greet Area. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Lounge membership programs.
- Plaza Premium Lounge (Terminal 3, International Arrivals) – Temporarily Closed – Location: Landside, opposite exit gate 6. Private resting area ($) and showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Lounge membership programs.
- Plaza Premium Lounge (Terminal 3, Domestic Arrivals) – Location: Landside, near Gate 1. Private resting area ($) and showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Lounge membership programs.
- Plaza Premium Lounge (Terminal 3, International)– Location: Airside, Level 3. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge pass • Lounge membership programs.
- Plaza Premium Lounge (Terminal 3, International) – Location: Airside, Level 4. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge pass • Lounge membership programs.
- Plaza Premium Lounge (Terminal Domestic) – Location: Airside. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge pass.
- ITC Hotels Green Lounge – Location: Airside, International Departures. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Lounge membership programs.
If you are a First or Business Class traveller you may have access to the lounges listed below. For more information, check the airline’s website: Air India (T3, Domestic & International).
Related Pages: New Delhi Airport Lounges
New Delhi Airport Hotels, Sleep Pods & Day Rooms
- Nearest Hotel: Inside the Airport
- Sleep Cabins & Pods: Yes
- Day Rooms: Yes
- Nearby Hotels with Shuttles: Yes
When the prospect of sleeping on the floor or in a chair is giving you nightmares, there is good news for those of you who are looking to sleep at New Delhi Airport in comfort. If you are on a layover, you don’t have to go through security as there are three in-transit options offering both short-term and overnight rates. The hotel is accessible to international and domestic passengers in Terminal 3. Sleep pods, perfect for single travellers seeking some privacy, are also available for short-term stays. Off-site, there are a number of nearby hotels that offer airport shuttles, but for a fee.
With Covid restrictions constantly changing, we recommend that you confirm shuttle availability prior to booking and/or prior to your arrival.
Hotels inside New Delhi AirportIn Transit Holiday Inn Express New Delhi International Airport – Located inside the transit area. The hotel is divided into two wings with rooms available in both the International and the Domestic wings of Terminal 3. Access from Level 5, Terminal 3. Hourly rates and day rooms are available. » Check Rates In Transit Sam’s Snooze at My Space – In-transit sleeping pods are available and can be booked in a variety of options, ie. 3 hours, 4-5 hours, 6-8 hours, etc. Locations: Terminal 3, International Departures, Gate 17 • Terminal 3, MLCP Building, Domestic Arrivals with connections. Starting rates: US$ 36/3 hours (single) and US$ 65/3 hours (double). » Check Rates In Transit Plaza Premium Lounge – Private day rooms with attached toilet and shower facilities. Rates start at 2650 INR for 3 hours minimum (single occupancy) and 3725 INR for 3 hours minimum (double occupancy). Three locations: Domestic Arrivals (T3), International Arrivals (T3), Domestic Arrivals Landside (T1).
Plaza Premium Lounge Transit Hotel – Location: Terminal 3, International Arrivals, Arrival Hall. This lounge offers a lounge, shower and dayroom options for travellers in the public area of the airport.
Hotels near New Delhi AirportNear Airport Pullman New Delhi Aerocity – Located near Terminal 1 and 3. Walking distance from Aerocity Metro Station, located on the Delhi Airport Express Metro Line. » Check Rates Near Airport Hotel Delhi Aerocity – Walking distance from Aerocity Metro Station, located on the Delhi Airport Express Metro Line. » Check Rates
For more options, visit Tripadvisor to see a list of hotels near Indira Gandhi Airport that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Airport WiFi / Internet and Mobile Charging
Free WiFi is available at New Delhi Airport for two hours. Connect to the “GMR Free Wi-Fi” network and enter your information into the login page to receive your serial number and PIN via SMS text message. Note: an Indian mobile number is required for access, however if you have an international phone number visit the WiFi assistance team at the Information Desk to connect.
Free charging stations are available throughout the airport. A reader tells us “Some of them, in the food court in terminal 3, have a safe feature too. You can set a code for the phone compartment and come back later to pick up by typing in the code.” (August 2019)
Airport Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover
Duty Free & Shopping – Duty-free shopping is available in T3 International Arrivals and Departures areas. You can pay with US$, Euros, INR and Sterling Pound at the Duty Free shops. A variety of retail shops are available throughout the airport including at least seven convenience shops throughout the terminals for any last minute items. The airport’s website indicates that all shops are open 24 hours.
- Baby Care Facilities – Diaper-changing facilities, baby cot, toys and more are available in the Child Care Lounges, located in every terminal.
- Children’s Play Area – When you want to ensure your kids burn off all their energy before their flight, take them to the children’s play area. Location: Terminal 3, International Departures, Food Court.
- Gaming – Amoeba offers a gaming area that is fun for the family. Locations: Terminal 3 International Arrivals and Domestic Arrivals.
- Strollers – If you are travelling with young children, get them around the airport faster in a free stroller. Locations: T1D, T2 and T3, visit the information desk for assistance.
Flight Simulator – Live your dream of being a pilot or amp up those pre-flight jitters at The Cockpit flight simulator. Experience piloting a Boeing 737 in varying visibility and weather patterns, with over 24,000 airfields to choose from! Location: T3 International Departures Hours: unknown.
Food & Drinks
- Drinking Water – Thirsty? Drinking water fountains that provide reverse osmosis treated water are available free of charge. Locations: throughout the airport.
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions are available in all terminals and operate with varying schedules. At the time of this update, we are unable to confirm the availability of any 24-hour dining options. If you know, click here to update this airport guide.
Information Desk – If you have any questions, visit one of the Information Kiosks for assistance. Locations: can be found in all terminals.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Domestic and International passengers can store luggage for up to 30 days in the Left Luggage Room. Rates, depending on the size of the bag, are as follows: Rs. 80/- to Rs. 160/- per bag for up to 2 hours • Rs. 20/- to Rs. 40/- per bag every hour after up to 8 hours • or a flat daily rate of Rs. 200/- to Rs. 600/- per bag, per day. A valid passport or photo ID is required. Location: T3, airport connect building (Metro station) Hours: open 24 hours.
- Luggage Trolleys – Need a hand with your bags? Luggage carts are available, however, at the time of this update we do not know if the trolleys are provided free of charge.
- Luggage Wrapping – Protect your bags from theft and damage by having your bags wrapped in plastic at the Secure Wrap. Location: T3, Landside, Check-In Hall.
- Medical Services – If you feel unwell or injure yourself, a medical center can be found in each terminal: Terminal 1, Landside, Domestic Arrivals Hall • Terminal 2, Landside, Check-in Hall • Terminal 3, Landside and Airside – Domestic/International Pier • Transfer Area • Food Court.
- Pharmacy – Guardian Pharmacies are located throughout the terminals and all are open 24 hours. Additionally, for any last minute medications, passengers can visit Apollo Pharmacy. Location: Terminal 3, International Departures.
Mobile Charging – see “Airport WiFi / Internet and Mobile Charging” above.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: T1 Arrivals • T1D • T2 Departures • T3 International Departures and Arrivals areas • T3 Domestic Departures and Arrivals areas.
- Currency Exchange – Central Bank of India, Centrum and Thomas Cook offer foreign currency exchange services in the following locations: T1 Departures • T3 International Departures • T3 International Arrivals • T3 Domestic Departures • T3 Domestic Arrivals.
Parking – A multi-level parking garage is located at T3. Payments are done at centralized payment stations inside the elevator lobby as you exit the terminal. At T1 and T2, you would pay at the exit gate as you leave the airport grounds. Rates from Rs. 100 (30 minutes) to Rs. 500 (up to 24 hours). Valet parking is also available at T3. Rates from Rs. 350 for 2 hours.
Prayer Room – Take a moment for some quiet reflection or prayer at one of the airport’s prayer rooms. The rooms have been partitioned to provide a separate male/female space. Locations: T1, Airside • T2, near Security • T3, Airside – Domestic Pier Junction, near the smoking room and International Pier Junction, near the Airtel Shop.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – Comfortable lounge style seating is available in the International Terminal, Airside.
Showers – There are showers available in the Terminal 3, Arrivals Area, beside WH Smith. Rates: unknown. Additionally, there are showers available in the Premium Lounges (pay at door) in Terminal 1 and Terminal 3, see Airport Lounges section. Location: Hours: open 24 hours. If you are in transit, you can also use the Aqua Pods at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel mentioned in the Airport Hotels section.
SIM Cards – A reader has asked us to include where to buy SIM Cards. If you know, click here to update this airport guide.
Smoking Rooms – Smoking is permitted in designated areas only. Locations: T1, Airside, near the food court • T2, near the security • T3 Domestic Pier, transfer area and food court • T3 International Pier, transfer area and food court.
Spa – Express spa treatments are available at Heaven on Earth Spa Express in Terminal 1. O2 Spa offers spa treatments with a Thai-Indian element over in T3 Domestic and International Departures.
Travel Agencies – If you are arriving in New Delhi and need local arrangements or help planning a really last minute trip abroad, there are a number of travel agencies with offices at the airport that can probably be of assistance. Akbar Travels (T3, International and Domestic Departures Halls) • Make My Trip (T1, Arrivals and Departures • T3 International and Domestic Departures Halls) • Taj India Tours (T3, International Departures Hall).
WiFi – see “Airport WiFi / Internet and Mobile Charging” above.
Related Pages: Things to do on a layover at New Delhi Airport
The airport is open 24 hours.
New Delhi airport is served by the following airlines: Aeroflot • Air Arabia • Air Astana • Air Canada • Air China • Air France • Air India • Air Italy • Air Mauritius • AirAsia • Alitalia • All Nippon Airways • Ariana Afghan Airlines • Asiana Airlines • Avia Traffic Company • Azerbaijan Airlines • Bhutan Airlines • Biman Bangladesh Airlines • British Airways • Cathay Pacific • China Airlines • China Eastern Airlines • China Southern • Druk Air • Emirates • Ethiopian Airlines • Finnair • flydubai • Flynas • GoAir • Gulf Air • IndiGo • Iraqi Airways • Japan Airlines • Jazeera Airways • Kam Air • KLM • Korean Air • Kuwait Airways • Lufthansa • Mahan Air • Malaysia Airlines • Malindo Air • Nepal Airlines • NokScoot • Oman Air • Pakistan International Airlines • Qatar Airways • Saudia • Singapore Airlines • Shandong Airlines • SpiceJet • SriLankan Airlines • Swiss • Tajik Air • Thai Airways • Turkish Airlines • Turkmenistan Airlines • Ukraine Airlines • United Airlines • Uzbekistan Airways • Virgin Atlantic • Vistara.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Buses in Delhi are cheap, and one of the most common ways to travel around the city. The airport is served by both state-owned DTC buses and buses run by private contractors.
Note: All buses serving Terminal 3 arrive and depart from a staging area opposite Centaur Hotel. The airport’s DIAL shuttles provide 24-hour service between this staging area and the airport terminals departing every 15 minutes.
Carzonrent is available onsite to offer self-drive car rental or chauffeur-driven cars and limousines for hire.
A few hotels provide an airport shuttle: Hotel City Star • Prime Balaji Deluxe • Hotel Grand Godwin.
See also Airport Hotels above for hotels within walking distance.
DEL airport offers a free shuttle bus service between the Domestic and International terminals. Buses run in 20 minute intervals 24 hours a day.
Air-conditioned taxis are readily available around the clock at taxi ranks outside of the terminals. These airport-approved taxis are equipped with GPS-integrated meters to track location and ensure meter accuracy. Terminal 3 International Arrivals is served by Meru Cabs and Mega Cabs, while Terminal 1C Domestic Arrivals is served by Easy Cabs. Outside of the airport, passengers can hail a ride to the airport from any of the black and yellow taxis that serve the city of Delhi.
The Delhi Airport Metro Express is a fast and convenient way to travel between the airport and the city. Passengers travelling with select airlines can check in for their flights at the Check-In facilities in New Delhi Metro Station. For schedules and fare information, go to the DMRC website.
Connections to long-distance trains are available at Indian Railways New Delhi Station, just a short walk from the New Delhi Metro Station.
Last updated: 2023-01-18
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.