Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our New Delhi Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
The REAL surprise is T3 – the international terminal. It’s incredible how they’ve taken EVERYTHING they did wrong and go about doing it absolutely right. – SixSigma1978
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at New Delhi Indira Ghandi Airport.
What to Expect
New Delhi Airport consists of three terminals (T1, T2 and T3). T1 houses domestic and low-cost airlines and T2 houses a handful of these airlines that have been relocated while T1 expansions are underway. T3 is the newest and most modern of the three, and houses mainly international flights. All terminals are directly connected to the Main Hall.
While free WiFi is available, access requires an Indian mobile number and is limited to 45 minutes. The airport has a number of power outlets and mobile chargin machines scattered throughout. Be forewarned that some travellers have reported issues retrieving devices from these machines!
For those looking for a little added comfort, there are first class lounges, some of which have showers, that economy class passengers can pay to access. For locations and access information, see Airport Lounges in the guide below.
Where to Sleep
The main shopping area in T3 has couches that you can stretch out on and otherwise there are plenty of seats without armrests and carpeted areas. That said, the airport never totally quiets down so if you are going to overnight, come prepared with earplugs or noise cancelling headphones and a sleep mask. Explore our guide to sleeping in New Delhi Airport or read some traveller reviews for more tips. If you’re looking for uninterrupted sleep, there are sleep pods and a transit hotel inside the airport, and several hotels nearby connected by shuttles. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Passes Plaza Premium Lounge (Terminal 1D, Domestic) – Location: Terminal 1D, Airside, Level 2/Mezzanine Level. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
Plaza Premium Lounge – Location: Terminal 1D, Landside. Hours: open 24 hours. Private resting area ($) and showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
Passes Plaza Premium Lounge (Terminal 2, Domestic) – Location: Terminal 2, Airside, near Gate 25. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
Passes Plaza Premium Lounge (Terminal 3, International Arrivals) – Location: Terminal 3, Landside, opposite exit gate 6. Private resting area ($) and showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
Passes Plaza Premium Lounge (Terminal 3, Domestic Arrivals) – Location: Terminal 3, Landside, near Gate 1. Private resting area ($) and showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
Passes Plaza Premium Lounge (Terminal 3, International) – Location: Terminal 3, Airside, Level 3. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
Passes Plaza Premium Lounge (Terminal 3, International) – Location: Terminal 3, Airside, Level 4. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
If sleeping in New Delhi Airport does not appeal to you, there is a transit hotel and sleeping pods inside the terminal in addition to nearby hotels within a 5-10 minute radius of the airport.
In Transit Holiday Inn Express New Delhi International Airport – Located inside the transit area. The hotel is divided into two wings with rooms available in both the International and the Domestic wings of Terminal 3. Access from Level 5, Terminal 3. Hourly rates and day rooms are available. » Check Rates
In Transit Sam’s Snooze at My Space – In-transit sleeping pods are available on a hourly basis. Location: Terminal 3, International Departures, Gate 17. Rates: US$ 12/hr (single) and US$ 22/hr (double). » Check Rates
In Transit Plaza Premium Lounge – Private day rooms with attached toilet and shower facilities. Rates start at 2500 INR for 3 hours minimum (single occupancy) and 3500 INR for 3 hours minimum (double occupancy). Three locations: Domestic Arrivals (T3), International Arrivals (T3), Domestic Departures Landside (1D).
At Airport Ibis New Delhi Airport – Located between Terminal 1 and 3. Airport shuttle is not available. » Check Rates
Near Airport Hotel Delhi Aerocity – (5 minute drive from Terminal 3) This budget hotel provides airport transfers (24 hours a day) are available upon request for Rs.480/- (1 Car/ 3 persons) for the pick-up and Rs.300/- for drop-off. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Indira Gandhi Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at New Delhi Airport. Connect to the “Tata Docomo Wi-Fi” network and enter your information into the login page to receive your serial number and PIN via SMS text message. Indian mobile number required for access.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities -Diaper-changing facilities, baby cot, toys and more are available in the Child Care Lounges, located in every terminal. Strollers are available for use in the airport, free of charge, from T1D, T2 and T3.
- Children’s Play Area – Location: International Departures.
- Gaming – Amoeba offers a gaming area that is fun for the family. Locations: Terminal 3 International Arrivals and Domestic Arrivals.
- Strollers – if you are travelling with young children, the airport offers free strollers in Terminal 1D.
Food & Drinks
- Drinking Water – Thirsty? Drinking water fountains that provide reverse osmosis treated water are available free of charge. Locations: throughout the airport.
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions are available in all terminals and operate with varying schedules. At the time of this update, we are unable to confirm the availability of any 24-hour dining options.
- Information Desk – Information Booths can be found in T3 Airside and T3 Landside.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Domestic and International passengers can store luggage for up to 30 days in the Left Luggage Room. Rates, depending on the size of the bag, are as follows: Rs. 80/- to Rs. 160/- per bag for up to 2 hours • Rs. 20/- to Rs. 40/- per bag every hour after up to 8 hours • or a flat daily rate of Rs. 200/- to Rs. 600/- per bag, per day. A valid passport or photo ID is required. Location: T3, airport connect building (Metro station) Hours: unknown
- Luggage Trolleys – Yes. At the time of this update we do not know if the trolleys are provided free of charge.
- Luggage Wrapping – Secure Wrap luggage wrapping service is available landside in the T3 Check-In Hall.
- Medical Services – Medanta The Medicity offers urgent and emergency medical care in all three terminals. In T3 Fortis Medical Facility is also available.
- Pharmacy – Guardian Pharmacies are located throughout the terminals and all are open 24 hours.
- Mobile Charging – At the time of this update, we did not have any information about mobile charging availability. If you know, click here to update this airport guide.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: T1 Arrivals • T1D • T2 Departures • T3 International Departures and Arrivals areas • T3 Domestic Departures and Arrivals areas.
- Currency Exchange – Central Bank of India offers foreign currency exchange from two locations: T3/International Departures, landside, Check-In Hall • T3/International Arrivals, landside, Baggage Reclaim. Thomas Cook offers foreign currency exchange and travel services from eight kiosks located throughout T3 Domestic Departures and Arrivals • T3 International Departures and Arrivals.
- Prayer Room – Location: International Terminal, Airside
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – Comfortable lounge style seating is available in the International Terminal.
- Duty Free & Shopping – Duty-free shopping is available in T3 International Arrivals and Departures areas. You can pay with US$, Euros, INR and Sterling Pound at the Duty Free shops. A variety of retail shops are available throughout the airport including at least seven convenience shops throughout the terminals for any last minute items.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Showers – There are showers available in the Terminal 3, Arrivals Area, beside WH Smith. Rates: unknown. Additionally, there are 12 showers available in the “Shower and Massage Lounge” mentioned above in the Airport Lounges section. Location: Hours: open 24 hours. If you are in transit, you can also use the Aqua Pods at the Eaton Smart Transit Hotel mentioned in the Airport Hotels section.
- Spa – Express spa treatments are available at Heaven on Earth Spa Express in Terminal 1D. O2 Spa offers spa treatments with a Thai-Indian element over in T3 Domestic Departures.
- Smoking Rooms – Locations: T1D, 1st floor • T2, Airside, near retail area • T3 Domestic, pier junction near the retail area • T3 International, pier junction near Gate 15.
Things to do & see
- Flight Simulator – Live your dream of being a pilot or amp up those pre-flight jitters at The Cockpit flight simulator. Experience piloting a Boeing 737 in varying visibility and weather patterns, with over 24,000 airfields to choose from! Location: T3 International Departures Hours: unknown.
The airport is open 24 hours.
As of March 2018, New Delhi airport is served by the following airlines: Air Canada • Air India • Emirates • Hong Kong Airlines • Lufthansa • Air France • Qatar Airways • Jet Airways • ANA • Saudia • KLM • Swiss • Japan Airlines • United Airlines • Turkish Airlines • Alitalia • British Airways • Etihad Airways • Austrian Airlines • Cathay Pacific • Asiana Airlines • China Airlines • China Southern • Korean Air • Air China • Ethiopian Airlines.
Buses in Delhi are cheap, and one of the most common ways to travel around the city. The airport is served by both state-owned DTC buses and buses run by private contractors. For schedules and fare, go to the IGI Airport Bus Service page on the Government of Delhi website.
Note: All buses serving Terminal 3 arrive and depart from a staging area opposite Centaur Hotel. The airport’s DIAL shuttles provide 24-hour service between this staging area and the airport terminals.
Carzonrent is available onsite to offer self-drive car rental or chauffeur-driven cars and limousines for hire.
The airport offers a free shuttle bus service between the Domestic and International terminals. Buses run in 20 minute intervals 24 hours a day.
Air-conditioned taxis are readily available around the clock at taxi ranks outside of the terminals. These airport-approved taxis are equipped with GPS-integrated meters to track location and ensure meter accuracy. Terminal 3 International Arrivals is served by Meru Cabs and Mega Cabs, while Terminal 1C Domestic Arrivals is served by Easy Cabs. Outside of the airport, passengers can hail a ride to the airport from any of the black and yellow taxis that serve the city of Delhi.
The Delhi Airport Metro Express is a fast and convenient way to travel between the airport and the city. Passengers traveling with select airlines can check in for their flights at the Check-In facilities in New Delhi Metro Station. For schedules and fare information, go to the DMRC website.
Connections to long-distance trains are available at Indian Railways New Delhi Station, just a short walk from the New Delhi Metro Station.
Last updated: 2018-10-23
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.