Osaka Kansai Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Osaka Kansai Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
A staff told me that the safer place to stay would be next to LAWSON (a convenience store), near a police station, the left side on the 2nd floor. - steek
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at Osaka Kansai Airport.
What to Expect
- The airport is divided into 2 current terminals, T1 and T2. T1 is large and modern; T2 is the sleek home to low-cost carriers. The terminals are connected by free shuttle bus.
- This airport is sleep-friendly with many modern Japanese conveniences, including clean facilities, lots of charging spots, and some decent sleeping areas. Staff generally don’t mind the overnight travellers.
- A few eateries are open 24-hours; see Airport Guide for locations.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Look for the Lawson convenience shop (open 24-hours) on the 2nd floor of T1 to find padded benches with no armrests, low-light, and blankets from the info desk.
- Plenty of armless benches through entire T1.
- Security staff will check on your passports/tickets at night but it’s very routine.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there is a hotel connected to Terminal 1 and several hotels are located nearby. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Coin-operated showers are available. See Showers in the airport guide below.
- Economy class travellers can buy entry to one of three airport lounges; the rest of the lounges require elite status or first/business class tickets. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Osaka Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Osaka airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- KIX Airport Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, North, 2nd Floor. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: from 310 yen for open seats and 410 yen for booth seats (first 30 minutes). You can pay at the door. Additionally, the lounge offers a shower facility that is available for 510 yen (or 310 yen with one of the seating packages)
- Refresh Square - The lounge area offers individual seats and group room with free drinks and WiFi. The relaxation area offers massages and facials. Location: Aeroplaza, Airside, 2nd Floor. Hours: the lounge is open 24 hours. The relaxation is only open from 930AM - 9:00PM. Rates: the lounge rates are 250 yen for every 30 minutes up to 4 hours and the 150 yen for every 30 minutes afterwards.
- KAL Business Class Lounge - Location: North Terminal, Landside, 3rd Floor, below KAL Check-in counters on the 4th Floor. Hours: 7:30AM - 2:00PM & 3:30PM - 7:15PM (Daily).
Free WiFi is available throughout the airport. Connect to one of the “FreeWiFi@KIX” networks.
Coin-operated computers are available in the @Station internet kiosks located throughout the airport. Rate: 100 yen/10 minutes Locations: T1: 1F (24 hours) • 2F (two locations, one is open 24 hours) • 4F (7:00AM - 12:00AM) • Domestic Gate area (7:00AM - 10:00PM) T2: 1F • International Gate area • Domestic Gate area Hours: 5:00AM - 12:00AM
If sleeping in Osaka Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Hotel Nikko Kansai Airport - Located next to the airport. From Terminal 1 take the free shuttle bus (7-9 min ride) to the aeroplaza where the hotel is located (take stairs to 2nd floor). From Terminal 2 walk through the center concourse that connects to JR Nankai train station, continue straight through and you will find the 2nd floor hotel entrance.
- Washington Hotel - (10 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle runs every 5 and 35 minutes after the hour, from 5:05AM to 11:35PM. Bus picks up at S12 (South Group Bus Area 12) bus stop at the airport.
- Star Gate Hotel Kansai Airport - (10 min from airport terminal 1) Free scheduled airport shuttle runs from hotel to the airport from 5:20AM to 10:00AM, and from airport to hotel from 5:55PM to 10:55PM. Bus picks up at S12 (South Group Bus Area 12) bus top at the airport, and drops off at International Departures (4th floor). Shuttle also drops off at Terminal 2 at 5:20AM and 5:50AM (25 min from hotel to T2).
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Osaka Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Locations: Terminal 1 (1F, 2F, 3F, 4F and the International Gate Area Center) • Terminal 2 (1F) • Kansai Airport Station (in front of ticket gate) • Aeroplaza 1F and 2F Hours: Vary per location. Some ATMs are available 24 hours.
- Baby Care Facilities - Diaper-changing facilities, nursing area (women only), hot water dispenser, microwaves oven and more are available in the airport’s Baby Rooms. Locations: T1, 1F • T1, 3F • T1, 4F • T1, International Gates area • T1, Domestic Gates area • T2, 1F • T2, International Gates area • T2, Domestic Gates area • Aeroplaza, 2nd floor. Some women’s restrooms also have nursing areas, and there are stand-alone nursing rooms with diaper-changing facilities and hot water in T1 on 2F and the International Gates’ North and South Wings. Additionally, strollers are available for use in the airport, free of charge, from the Information Center and some Information Counters. Baby chairs and children’s toilet seats are available in all restrooms.
- Baggage Carts - Available for use, free of charge, in Terminals 1 and 2, the airport train station and the parking lots.
- Banking - Bank of Tokyo - Mitsubishi UFJ offers full-service banking in the airport. Location: T1, 2F (North) Hours: 9:00AM - 3:00PM Mon-Fri (closed Dec 31 - Jan 3).
- Business Center - Send faxes, make photocopies, use the computers or rent the meeting room. Location: T1, 4F Center. Hours: 7:00AM - 8:00PM.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Change Rooms - If you have arrived from a trans-Pacific flight and would like to change into some fresh clothes, the airport has change rooms. Available in the women's restrooms only. Location: Terminal 1, 4th Floor.
- Children's Play Area - Fun and colorful play areas for children aged 6 and under. Five airside locations: T1, International Gate area • T1, International Gates North Wings • T1, International Gates South Wings • T1, Domestic Gates area • T2, International Gates area.
- Currency Exchange - There are several foreign exchange offices located throughout the terminal - before and after security.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours:
- Terminal 1, 2F: Sukiya • McDonald’s
- Terminal 2, 1F: Cafe & Bar Pronto • 7-Eleven convenience store
- Aeroplaza/Hotel Nikko Kansai Airport: Burger King (2F) • Matsuya (3F)
- Information Desk - Information Centers offer information and assistance 24 hours a day in Terminal 1 (2F) and Terminal 2 (1F). A total of eight smaller Information Counters are also available in Terminal 1 on 1F, 2F, 4F and the International Gates Area Center. Look for the counters with the ? symbols. Tourist Information Centers are available in Terminal 1 (1F Center) and Terminal 2 (1F).
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - On-site luggage storage is available at the airport. Rates are 620 yen per suitcase/per day, 360 yen for a Boston bag or duffel bag/per day, 1,030 yen for coat storage for 4 days or less (from the 5th day, the daily charge is 210 yen), and oversized items may be stored for 1,030 yen a day. Locations: Terminal 1: JAL ABC, Inc. (1st Floor, South) Hours: 6:15AM - 10:30PM • JAL ABC, Inc. (4th Floor, South) Hours: 6:30AM - 10:30PM • Kansai Airport Baggage Service (1st Floor, North) Hours: 6:30AM - 10:30PM • Kansai Airport Baggage Service (4th Floor, North) Hours: 7:00AM - 9:00PM Self-service coin-operated lockers are also available in the airport for the storage of luggage. Lockers use either a daily-charge system (daily charge starts at 12:00AM) or hourly-charge system. Rates, based on size of luggage, are 300 - 600 yen per day for daily-charge lockers, or 100 - 300 yen for up to 3 hours for hourly-charge lockers. Lockers are available in these locations: Terminal 1 (hourly and daily lockers): 2nd Floor, North and South Departures gates • 3rd Floor, North and South ends Terminal 2 (daily lockers): in front of 1st Floor Domestic Arrivals and International Arrivals gates Aeroplaza: 2nd Floor Atrium (daily lockers) • Entrance to the shower rooms (hourly lockers)
- Massages - If you would like to have a massage or facial, there are several places you can go:
»Relaxation Forest - Terminal 1, Building 3F
»Refresh Cabin - Aeroplaza, Building 2F
»Raffine KIX Branch - Terminal 1, 3rd Floor North
- Medical Services - Urgent and emergency medical care is available in Doctor’s Office, staffed by doctors and nurses from Kinki University Hospital. Location: T1, 2F (North) Hours: 9:00AM - 5:00PM. KIX Dental Office provides onsite dental care in the Aeroplaza (3F). Hours: 10:30AM - 7:00PM (closed Thurs, Sun and public holidays).
- Mobile Charging - Charge your mobile devices while using your laptop in one of the seated charging stations. Locations: Terminal 1 - 1F, 2F, 4F, International Gates Area (Center, North and South Wings) and Domestic Gates area • Terminal 2 International and Domestic Gates area Pay-per-use mobile phone/digital camera chargers are available for 100 yen/30 minutes. Locations: T1 - public phone corner at the North and South ends of 1F • South side of the information counter in the middle of 2F • Center of International Departures (Shower Room) • Sky View Observation Hall 4F and 5F Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Observation Area - Get your own first class seat to watch planes take off. The Sky View Observation Hall is close to the Ferry Terminal. To get there, take the shuttle bus from stop 1 outside the Passenger Terminal Building (the same bus links the Terminal and the Rinku Premium Shopping Outlets).
- Pet Hotel - While you are on vacation, your pets can be too! You can leave them at the Kankuu Pet Hotel Promenade. Location: Multistory Parking Bldg 2, 3rd Floor. Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Police - Location: 2nd Floor North. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Post Office - The post office sells stamps and postcards. Location: T1, 2F (South) Hours: 9:00AM - 5:00PM. Mailboxes are located in four areas: Terminal 1, 1F • Terminal 1, 2F • Terminal 1, 4F • Terminal 2, 1F.
- Prayer Room - Three prayer/ablution rooms are available within the airport, and are separated by gender. Locations: Terminal 1 3F and one each on the International Gates North and South Wings.
- Rest Zones - In July 2015, the airport opened an overnight rest area for late arriving travellers who will be departing early the next morning. Five coin operated showers are nearby. Blankets are available for free from 11:00PM - 6:00AM. Location: 2nd Floor of the Aeroplaza restaurant and shopping area. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Showers - Coin operated showers can be found in Terminal 1, 2nd Floor (North) and Aeroplaza, 2F. Shampoo, Conditioner, and body soap are provided. Hours: open 24 hours. Rates: 500 yen/ 15 minutes. Additionally there are showers in the KIX Refresh Cabin and KIX Airport Lounge (see airport lounges above).
- Shopping - In addition to the Duty Free and numerous shops in the airport, the following mini marts are open 24 hours - 7 Eleven (Terminal 2, General Area) • Family Mart (Terminal 1, 2F) • Family Mart (Terminal 1, 4F) • Family Mart (Terminal 1, International Gates) • Lawson (Terminal 1, 2F) • Lawson (Aeroplaza, 1F) • Lawson (Aeroplaza, 2F).
- Smoking - Locations: Terminal 1 - 1F, 2F, 3F, 4F, International Gates Area (Center, North and South Wings) and Domestic Gates area • Terminal 2 1F, International and Domestic Gates area • Aeroplaza 2F and 3F.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Osaka Kansai Airport is situated 50 km from the Osaka city centre. Travellers can access the airport by road, railway and high-speed ferry.
Several bus lines operate in and out of Kansai International Airport. For schedules, fares, and further information, go to the Kansai Airport Transportation Enterprise website or inquire with bus staff at the airport.
Travel to/from Terminal 1:
Bus ticket vending machines are located outside of the building on the first floor (1F). You can also catch your bus from the bus stop, which is also located outside on the first floor. Buses arriving into Terminal 1 go to the International Departures Lobby on the fourth floor (4F). Some buses also continue on to Terminal 2.
Travel to/from Terminal 2:
Bus ticket vending machines are located outside on the first floor (1F) of Terminal 2. Some bus lines pick-up and drop-off passengers on the first floor (1F) of Terminal 2. Buses arriving into Terminal 2 will usually stop at Terminal 1, 4F on the way. Many buses only drop-off at Terminal 1. A courtesy shuttle bus connects Terminal 2 to Aeroplaza 1F at Terminal 1. Consult your timetable to confirm the drop-off location of your bus.
Five car rental agencies operate out of Kansai International Airport: Nippon Rent-A-Car, Nissan Rent-A-Car, Orix Rent-A-Car, Toyota Rent-A-Car, and Times Car Rental. Their reception desks can be found in the Aeroplaza, just a 3 minute walk from Terminal 1. To reach the Aeroplaza, you can walk through the 2F connection passage from Terminal 1 or take the courtesy shuttle from Terminal 2. Hours: 8:00AM - 9:00PM.
A high-speed ferry runs between Kansai International Airport and Kobe Airport. Total trip time is 30 minutes, and the fare is ¥1,850 for adults (¥930 for children). Tickets can be purchased from the High-Speed Ferry Ticket Counter located in Terminal 1, 1F. From there, passengers can take a 10-minute ride on a courtesy shuttle bus to the Ferry Terminal bus stop 12. Passengers arriving into the Ferry Terminal from Kobe can take that same shuttle back to Terminal 1 at Kansai Airport, or continue on that shuttle to Terminal 2. Shuttle buses are timed to meet each arriving ferry. For further information on this service, consult the Om Kobe Co. Ltd website.
Shared-Ride Airport Shuttles
Shared-ride airport shuttles are an economic and relaxing way to travel to or from the airport. The shuttles can take up to 9 passengers and accept credit card or taxi card for payment. Contact MK Taxi (SkyGate shuttles) or Yasaka Kanku shuttles for information and reservations.
Taxi stands can be found outside at Terminal 1, 1F and Terminal 2, 1F. At the time of this update, standard taxi fares from the airport to central Osaka start at ¥13,000 (small car) and ¥14,500 (medium car), with increased rates for late night rides. Contact Kansai International Airport Taxi Association for further information on fares, service area, and travel times.
JR-West (West Japan Railway Company) and Kansai Electric Railway operate railway lines to/from the Kansai Airport Station, located at Terminal 1, 2F. Passengers can take trains from that station to reach neighboring cities such as Kyoto, Shin-Osaka, and Kyobashi.
Last Updated: 24 March 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.