Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Osaka Kansai Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
A staff told me that the safer place to stay would be next to LAWSON (a convenience store), near a police station, the left side on the 2nd floor. – steek
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at Osaka Kansai Airport.
What to Expect
- The airport is divided into 2 current terminals, T1 and T2. T1 is large and modern; T2 is the sleek home to low-cost carriers. The terminals are connected by free shuttle bus.
- This airport is sleep-friendly with many modern Japanese conveniences, including clean facilities, lots of charging spots, and some decent sleeping areas. Staff generally don’t mind the overnight travellers.
- A few eateries are open 24-hours; see Airport Guide for locations.
- Free WiFi is available. See Wifi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Look for the Lawson convenience shop (open 24-hours) on the 2nd floor of T1 to find padded benches with no armrests, low-light, and blankets from the info desk.
- Plenty of armless benches through entire T1.
- Security staff will check on your passports/tickets at night but it’s very routine.
- Explore our guide to sleeping in Kansai Airport or read some traveller reviews for more tips.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there is a hotel connected to Terminal 1 and several hotels are located nearby. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Coin-operated showers are available. See Showers in the airport guide below.
- Economy class travellers can buy entry to one of three airport lounges; the rest of the lounges require elite status or first/business class tickets. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door or through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
- Refresh Lounge – Location: Aeroplaza, Airside, 2nd Floor. Hours: the lounge is open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door. [ more lounge info ]
- KAL Business Class Lounge – Location: North Terminal, Landside, 3rd Floor, below KAL Check-in counters on the 4th Floor. Lounge Access: Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
- KIX Airport Lounge – Location: Terminal 1, North, 2nd Floor. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door. [ more lounge info ]
If you are a First or Business Class traveller you may have access to the lounges listed below. For more information, check the airline’s web site.
Korean Air Lounge (Location: T1, 3F) • Kix Airside Lounge (Location: T1, International Gate Area Center) • Kix North Lounge (Location: T1, International Gate Area Center) • Asuka Lounge (Location: T1, International Gate Area North Wing) • Lounge Pacific (Location: T1, International Gate Area North Wing) • Royal Orchid Lounge (Location: T1, International Gate Area North Wing) • ANA Lounge (Location: T1, International Gate Area North Wing • Domestic Gate Area) • JAL Sakura Lounge (Location: T1, International Gate Area South Wing • Domestic Gate Area).
If sleeping in Osaka Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
At Airport Hotel Nikko Kansai Airport – Located next to the airport. From Terminal 1 take the free shuttle bus (7-9 min ride) to the aeroplaza where the hotel is located (take stairs to 2nd floor). From Terminal 2 walk through the center concourse that connects to JR Nankai train station, continue straight through and you will find the 2nd floor hotel entrance. » Check Rates
Near Airport Washington Hotel – (10 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle runs every 5 and 35 minutes after the hour, from 5:05AM to 11:35PM. Bus picks up at S12 (South Group Bus Area 12) bus stop at the airport. » Check Rates
Near Airport Star Gate Hotel Kansai Airport – (10 minutes from the airport terminal 1) Free scheduled airport shuttle runs from hotel to the airport from 5:20AM to 10:00AM, and from airport to hotel from 5:55PM to 10:55PM. Bus picks up at S12 (South Group Bus Area 12) bus top at the airport, and drops off at International Departures (4th floor). Shuttle also drops off at Terminal 2 at 5:20AM and 5:50AM (25 min from hotel to T2). » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Osaka Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available throughout the airport. Connect to one of the “[email protected]” networks.
Coin-operated computers are available in the @Station internet kiosks located throughout the airport. Rate: 100 yen/10 minutes Locations: T1: 1F (24 hours) • 2F (two locations, one is open 24 hours) • 4F (7:00AM – 12:00AM) • Domestic Gate area (7:00AM – 10:00PM) T2: 1F • International Gate area • Domestic Gate area Hours: 5:00AM – 12:00AM.
The Business Center also offers workstations for rent. Rate: 500 yen per 30 minutes. See Business Center below.
- Business Center – Send faxes, make photocopies, use the computers or rent the meeting room. Location: T1, 4F Center. Hours: 7:00AM – 8:00PM.
- Post Office – The post office sells stamps and postcards. Location: T1, 2F (South) Hours: 9:00AM – 5:00PM. Mailboxes are located in four areas: Terminal 1, 1F • Terminal 1, 2F • Terminal 1, 4F • Terminal 2, 1F.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – Diaper-changing facilities, nursing area (women only), hot water dispenser, microwaves oven and more are available in the airport’s Baby Rooms. Locations: T1, 1F • T1, 3F • T1, 4F • T1, International Gates area • T1, Domestic Gates area • T2, 1F • T2, International Gates area • T2, Domestic Gates area • Aeroplaza, 2nd floor. Some women’s restrooms also have nursing areas, and there are stand-alone nursing rooms with diaper-changing facilities and hot water in T1 on 2F and the International Gates’ North and South Wings. Additionally, strollers are available for use in the airport, free of charge, from the Information Center and some Information Counters. Baby chairs and children’s toilet seats are available in all restrooms.
- Children’s Play Area – Fun and colorful play areas for children aged 6 and under. Five airside locations: T1, International Gate area • T1, International Gates North Wings • T1, International Gates South Wings • T1, Domestic Gates area • T2, International Gates area.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours:
» Terminal 1, 2F: Sukiya • McDonald’s
» Terminal 2, 1F: Cafe & Bar Pronto
» Aeroplaza/Hotel Nikko Kansai Airport: Burger King (2F) • Matsuya (3F)
» You will also find a a variety of 24-hour convenience stores that sell snacks and bottled drinks. See Duty Free & Shopping above.
- Information Desk – Information Centers offer information and assistance 24 hours a day in Terminal 1 (2F) and Terminal 2 (1F). A total of ten smaller Information Counters are also available in Terminal 1 on 1F, 2F, 4F and the International Gates Area Center. Look for the counters with the ‘?’ symbols. For information about Osaka, Tourist Information Centers are available in Terminal 1 (1F Center) and Terminal 2 (1F).
- Baggage Carts – Need a hand with your luggage? Baggage carts are available free of charge throughout the airport. Locations: Terminals 1 and 2, the airport train station and the parking lots.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – There a few options for storing your bags:
» Storage: On-site luggage storage is available at the airport. Rates are 620 yen per suitcase/per day, 360 yen for a Boston bag or duffel bag/per day, 1,030 yen for coat storage for 4 days or less (from the 5th day, the daily charge is 210 yen), and oversized items may be stored for 1,030 yen a day. Locations: Terminal 1: JAL ABC, Inc. (1st Floor, South) Hours: 6:15AM – 10:30PM • JAL ABC, Inc. (4th Floor, South) Hours: 6:30AM – 10:30PM • Kansai Airport Baggage Service (1st Floor, North) Hours: 6:30AM – 10:30PM • Kansai Airport Baggage Service (4th Floor, North) Hours: 7:00AM – 9:00PM.
» Lockers: Self-service coin-operated lockers are also available. Lockers use either a daily-charge system (daily charge starts at 12:00AM) or hourly-charge system. Rates, based on size of luggage, are 300 – 600 yen per day for daily-charge lockers, or 100 – 300 yen for up to 3 hours for hourly-charge lockers. Locations: Terminal 1 (hourly and daily lockers): 2nd Floor, North and South Departures gates • 3rd Floor, North and South ends. Terminal 2 (daily lockers): Landside, Domestic Departures • Landside, International Departures. Aeroplaza: 2nd Floor Atrium (daily lockers) • Entrance to the shower rooms (hourly lockers).
- Luggage Wrapping – Your Wrap offers luggage wrapping service. The fee is 800 – 1500 JPY, depending on the size and shape of the item. Location: T1, landside, 4F (North). Hours: 7:00AM – 10:00PM.
- Medical Services – Urgent and emergency medical care is available in Doctor’s Office, staffed by doctors and nurses from Kinki University Hospital. Location: T1, 2F (North) Hours: 9:00AM – 5:00PM. KIX Dental Office provides onsite dental care in the Aeroplaza (3F). Hours: 10:30AM – 7:00PM (closed Thurs, Sun and public holidays).
- Pharmacy – A variety of medications are available at the following locations. Cocokara (Locations: Terminal 2, Airside, International Departures • Terminal 1, Airside, 3F • Terminal, Landside). Kokumin (Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Departures and Arrivals).
- Mobile Charging – There are six charging stations available. Rates: 100 yen/30 minutes. Locations: Locations: T1 – public phone corner at the North and South ends of 1F • South side of the information counter in the middle of 2F • Center of International Departures (Shower Room) • Sky View Observation Hall 4F and 5F Hours: Open 24 hours.
The airport also offers workstations where you can plug in and work from your own laptops, there are charging stations available. There are at least ten locations available throughout the airport.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Terminal 1 (1F, 2F, 3F, 4F and the International Gate Area Center) • Terminal 2 (1F) • Kansai Airport Station (in front of ticket gate) • Aeroplaza 1F and 2F. Hours: Vary per location. Some ATMs are available 24 hours.
- Banking Services – Bank of Tokyo – Mitsubishi UFJ offers full-service banking in the airport. Location: T1, 2F (North) Hours: 9:00AM – 3:00PM Mon-Fri (closed Dec 31 – Jan 3).
- Currency Exchange – here are several foreign exchange offices located throughout the terminals – before and after security. T1 offers 18 locations and T2 offers 3 locations.
- Pet Hotel – While you are on vacation, your pets can be too! You can leave them at the Kankuu Pet Hotel Promenade. Location: Multistory Parking Bldg 2, 3rd Floor. Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Prayer Room – Three prayer/ablution rooms are available within the airport, and are separated by gender. Locations: Terminal 1 3F and one each on the International Gates North and South Wings.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – In July 2015, the airport opened an overnight rest area for late arriving travellers who will be departing early the next morning. Five coin operated showers are nearby. Blankets are available for free from 11:00PM – 6:00AM. Location: 2nd Floor of the Aeroplaza restaurant and shopping area. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Police – Location: 2nd Floor North. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Duty Free & Shopping – In addition to the Duty Free and numerous shops in the airport, the following mini marts are open 24 hours – 7 Eleven (Terminal 2, General Area) • Family Mart (Terminal 1, 2F) • Family Mart (Terminal 1, 4F) • Family Mart (Terminal 1, International Gates) • Lawson (Terminal 1, 2F) • Lawson (Aeroplaza, 1F) • Lawson (Aeroplaza, 2F).
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Showers – Coin operated showers can be found in Terminal 1, 2nd Floor (North) and Aeroplaza, 2F. Shampoo, Conditioner, and body soap are provided. Hours: open 24 hours. Rates: 500 yen/ 15 minutes. Additionally there are showers in the KIX Refresh Cabin and KIX Airport Lounge [see airport lounges above].
- Massages – If you would like to have a massage or facial, there are several places you can go:
- Relaxation Forest – Terminal 1, Building 3F
- Raffine KIX Branch – Terminal 1, 3rd Floor North
- Smoking – Locations: Terminal 1 – 1F, 2F, 3F, 4F, International Gates Area (Center, North and South Wings) and Domestic Gates area • Terminal 2 1F, International and Domestic Gates area • Aeroplaza 2F and 3F.
Things to do & see
- Observation Area – Relax and watch planes taking off and landing from the vantage point of the airport’s observation area. The Sky View Observation Hall is close to the Ferry Terminal. To get there, take the shuttle bus from stop 1 outside the Passenger Terminal Building (the same bus links the Terminal and the Rinku Premium Shopping Outlets).
Other Airport Services & Facilities
- Change Rooms – If you have arrived from a trans-Pacific flight and would like to change into some fresh clothes, the airport has change rooms. Available in the women’s restrooms only. Location: Terminal 1, 4th Floor.
The airport is open 24 hours.
As of March 2018, Osaka Kansai airport is served by the following airlines: Japan Airlines • ANA • Star Flyer • Jetstar • Spring Japan • Vanilla Air • Peach • AirAsia • Air Busan • Air Calédonie • Air Canada • Air China • Air France • Air India • Air Macau • Air New Zealand • Alitalia • American Airlines • Asiana Airlines • Bangkok Airways • Beijing Capital Airline • Cathay Pacific • Cebu Pacific Air • China Airlines • China Eastern • China Southern • Czech Airlines • Delta • Eastar Jet • Emirates • Etihad Airways • EVA Air • Finnair • Garuda Indonesia • Hawaiian Airlines • Hong Kong Airlines • Jeju Air • Jet Airways • Jetstar Airways • Jin Air • Juneyao Airlines • KLM • Korean Air • Lucky Air • Lufthansa • Malaysia Airlines • Philippines Airlines • Qantas • Qatar Airways • S7 Airlines • Shandong Airlines • Shanghai Airlines • Shenzhen Airlines • Sichuan Airlines • Singapore Airlines • South African Airways • Spring Airlines • SriLankan Airlines • Thai Airasia • Thai Airways • Tianjin Airlines • Tigerair • T’way Air • United Airlines • Vietnam Airlines • Virgin Australia • Xiamen Air.
Several bus lines operate in and out of Kansai International Airport. For schedules, fares, and further information, go to the Kansai Airport Transportation Enterprise website or inquire with bus staff at the airport.
Travel to/from Terminal 1:
Bus ticket vending machines are located outside of the building on the first floor (1F). You can also catch your bus from the bus stop, which is also located outside on the first floor. Buses arriving into Terminal 1 go to the International Departures Lobby on the fourth floor (4F). Some buses also continue on to Terminal 2.
Travel to/from Terminal 2:
Bus ticket vending machines are located outside on the first floor (1F) of Terminal 2. Some bus lines pick-up and drop-off passengers on the first floor (1F) of Terminal 2. Buses arriving into Terminal 2 will usually stop at Terminal 1, 4F on the way. Many buses only drop-off at Terminal 1. A courtesy shuttle bus connects Terminal 2 to Aeroplaza 1F at Terminal 1. Consult your timetable to confirm the drop-off location of your bus.
Five car rental agencies operate out of Kansai International Airport: Nippon Rent-A-Car, Nissan Rent-A-Car, Orix Rent-A-Car, Toyota Rent-A-Car, and Times Car Rental. Their reception desks can be found in the Aeroplaza, just a 3 minute walk from Terminal 1. To reach the Aeroplaza, you can walk through the 2F connection passage from Terminal 1 or take the courtesy shuttle from Terminal 2. Hours: 8:00AM – 9:00PM.
A high-speed ferry runs between Kansai International Airport and Kobe Airport. Total trip time is 30 minutes, and the fare is ¥1,850 for adults (¥930 for children). Tickets can be purchased from the High-Speed Ferry Ticket Counter located in Terminal 1, 1F. From there, passengers can take a 10-minute ride on a courtesy shuttle bus to the Ferry Terminal bus stop 12. Passengers arriving into the Ferry Terminal from Kobe can take that same shuttle back to Terminal 1 at Kansai Airport, or continue on that shuttle to Terminal 2. Shuttle buses are timed to meet each arriving ferry. For further information on this service, consult the Om Kobe Co. Ltd website.
Taxi stands can be found outside at Terminal 1, 1F and Terminal 2, 1F. At the time of this update, standard taxi fares from the airport to central Osaka start at ¥13,000 (small car) and ¥14,500 (medium car), with increased rates for late night rides. Contact Kansai International Airport Taxi Association for further information on fares, service area, and travel times.
JR-West (West Japan Railway Company) and Kansai Electric Railway operate railway lines to/from the Kansai Airport Station, located at Terminal 1, 2F. Passengers can take trains from that station to reach neighboring cities such as Kyoto, Shin-Osaka, and Kyobashi.
Last updated: 2018-10-23
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.