Taipei Taoyuan Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Taipei Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
the best place to lay-over is the Transit Lounge located in terminal 2
By a traveller
August 2015 - I stayed up at Taipei Taoyuan airport for about 9 hours overnight before an early flight out to Hong Kong, and had an unexpectedly good experience. Check in and security are highly efficient, and there's a nice range of duty free shops, play areas for children and themed lounges airside. Sleeping wise there are a number of little hidey-holes with recliners and cushioned benches. I got a couple of hours sleep on a good sized recliner tucked away by gate B7 and saw a few others in similar positions; if you take a little walk around the various areas of the airport you'll almost certainly find a comfy spot within minutes. Everywhere is spotlessly clean, and staff are friendly and helpful and do not mind you sleeping there at all. The only point I would make is that between midnight and 5am, none of the shops or restaurants are open and nobody is really around: peaceful conditions for sleeping, but not so good for anything else. So if you will be wanting food or drink, you'll need to buy it before the stores shut. The place was virtually deserted - I took videos of myself dancing around completely empty departure gates and walkway areas to send to friends! All in all I had an entirely pleasant experience and would be perfectly happy to do a lay-over in Taoyuan airport in the future if necessary.
Have you been to Taipei Taoyuan Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Taipei Taoyuan airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- The More International Business Center and Premium Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, Airside, departures hall, 4th floor. Showers are available. Hours: 6am - 1130pm. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (NT 1,100) • Priority Pass.
Additionally, there are airline lounges that require Elite Status/First or Business Class tickets for entry:
- Cathay Pacific Airways - Terminal 1, Airside, 4th floor Departure Hall. Hours: 4am - 8pm
- TransAsia Airways and Thai Airways - Terminal 1, Airside, 4th floor. Hours: Opens 2 hours before first flight departure and closes 30 minutes before the last flight.
- China Airlines - Terminal 1, Airside, 4th floor Departure Hall (hours: 530am - 1130pm) • Terminal 2, Airside, central area on 2nd floor (hours: 6am - 10pm)
- Japan Airlines - Terminal 2, Airside, central area on 3rd floor. Hours: 6am - 1130pm
- Eva Airlines - Terminal 2, Airside, east side of Departure Transit Lounge, 4th Floor. Hours: open 24 hours
- Singapore Airlines - Terminal 2, Airside, west side of Departure Transit Lounge at 4th Floor. Hours: 530am - 12am
Free WiFi is available at Taipei Taoyuan Airport.
- Terminal 1 - there are 3 areas airside with internet facilities.
- 1st floor, in the north end of the departures hall
- North Departure corridors
- South Departure corridors
- Terminal 2 - WiFi is available at 2F in Mila Coffee
If sleeping in Taipei Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Novotel Taipei Taoyuan International Airport - (5 min from the airport) Free roundtrip airport shuttle to/from Terminals 1 and 2 runs every 30 minutes from 6am to 11:30pm.
- City Suites Gateway - (3 min from the airport) No airport shuttle.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotel deals in Taipei on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- Art Gallery - Location: Terminal 2
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Bank of Taiwan, Mega International Commercial Bank and Chunghwa Post have ATM’s in the following locations at the airport: Terminal 1, Departure Hall (1F) • Terminal 1, Arrival Hall (1F) • Terminal 1, Departure Hall (3F) • Terminal 1, Arrival Immigration Hall (3F) • Terminal 1, B1 bank counters • Terminal 2, Arrival Hall (1F) • Terminal 2, Arrival Immigration Hall (2F) • Terminal 2, Departure Hall (3F) • Terminal 2, B2 bank counters.
- AV Center - there is a small theatre where they show licenced movies all day. Location: Terminal 1, 2F, Airside, Zones A & B
- Children's Play Area - Locations: Terminal 1 (Airside, central area of the 3rd floor Departure Hall) • Terminal 2 (Landside, on the north side of the 1st floor) • Terminal 2 (Airside, 3rd floor, boarding concourse D) • Terminal 2 (Airside, south side of the 3rd floor in boarding concourse C - this location is Hello Kitty themed). Hours: open 24 hours.
- Cloud-based Reading Services - Computers, wireless internet and comfortable seats are available to catch up with emails while you wait for your flights. Locations: Terminal 1, 2F, Airside, Zones A & B
- Cultural Activities - The Cultural Experience Area gives visitors the opportunity to experience traditional art and cultural during their time in the airport. Receive a free zodiac souvenir card and, learn calligraphy and draw on round Chinese traditional fans and paper umbrellas. Location: Terminal 2, Gate D3. Here are a few more cultural activities that are available: Taiwan Tea Tasting Area (Terminal 2, Departure Concourse) • Pili Puppet Legend Gallery (Terminal 2, Gate D7) • San Cai Tang - Taiwan Craft Shop (Terminal 2, Gate D6) •
- Currency Exchange - There are banks offering foreign exchange services (landside and airside).
- Food & Drinks - At the time of this guide update, the only 24-hour food or beverage outlet is the 7-Eleven located in Terminal 2, Food Court on B2.
- Information Desk - There are 2 informations counters, located in Terminal 2 - 3F and Terminal 1 - 1F. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Library - As part of the airport's themed lounges, the e-library is co-planned with the National Museum of Taiwan Literature. Here you will find books, tablet computers, e-books and mobile charging stations. Access: free.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - There are two left luggage offices: Terminal 1 (on 1F, in the Customs Inspection lounge, Arrivals) • Terminal 2 (on 1F, in the Customs Inspection lounge, Arrivals). Rates: start at NT$200
- Massages - Locations: Terminal 1, 2F, Zones A & B
- Medical Services - Need medical attention? Head to 1 of 3 clinics located at: Terminal 2, 1F • Terminal 2, 3F • Terminal 1, B1F.
- Mobile Charging - Information not available
- National Museum of History - Exhibitions and displays from the National Museum of History can be found at Terminal 1 ( on the South Departure Corridors) and Terminal 2 (3rd floor Departure Hall, north side • 3rd floor Departure Hall, south side). Hours: 8am - 6pm
- National Palace - Exhibitions and displays from the National Palace can be found at Terminal 1 (north Departure Corridors) and Terminal 2 (Airside, 3rd floor, in the Departure Corridor • Airside, 4th floor). Hours: 9am - 5pm
- Prayer Rooms - There are Christian, Buddhist and Islamic prayer rooms. Locations: Terminal 1 (Airside, Boarding Concourse) • Terminal 1 (Airside, Boarding Area) • Terminal 2 (Christianity - Airside, 3rd floor, north side of the boarding concourse and 3rd floor, south side of the boarding concourse) • Terminal 2 (Buddhism - Airside, 3rd floor, south side of the boarding concourse) • Terminal 2 (Islam - Airside, 3rd floor, south side of the boarding concourse). Hours: open 24 hours.
- Rest Zones - you can find reclining lounge style chairs at various gates inside the terminal. At the Scenic Zone, they have padded reclining chairs. Location: Terminals 1 & 2, 3F, Airside.
- Showers - Location: Terminal 1 (Arrivals Hall North, 3rd Floor) • Terminal 2 (Baggage Claim, next to the carousel 6). Hours: open 24 hours. Rate: Free
- Smoking - There are four Smoking rooms located airside: Terminal 1 (3rd floor, south corridor • 3rd floor, north corridor) and Terminal 2 (3rd floor, central area • 3rd floor, central area). Hours: open 24 hours.
- Themed Waiting Lounges - There are themed lounges such as the cute Hello Kitty Wonderland lounge (C3, the "e-Library Lounge" is where you can read a book while you wait (C5), sample some local tea at the "Unforgettable Yummy" lounge (C6), write a postcard at the "Postal Waiting Lounge (C7). Access: free
The airport is open 24 hours.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Several local bus lines access the airport, picking up passengers from bus zones at Terminal 1 (B1 Arrivals) or Terminal 2 (northeast arcade of 1st floor Arrivals). Bus tickets are sold at counters in the bus pick up zones.
The airport offers a shuttle bus service connecting it with Novotel Hotel and THSR Station, a train station on Taiwan’s high speed railway network. Buses run in 5 - 10 minute intervals during peak times, and total trip time is 25 minutes. Fares start at NT$15 and up. Tickets can be purchased at UBUS service counters in the Arrivals Lobbies of Terminals 1 and 2, and on the bus platform at THSR Station.
Ching Bing Auto Leasing offers both self-drive and chauffeur-driven vehicles for hire, and is located on the west side of Terminal 1 Arrivals Lobby on the 1st floor (6:00AM - 1:30AM). Hotai Auto Leasing, located on the west side of the 1st floor at Terminal 2 Arrivals Lobby, offers self-drive and chauffeur-driven vehicles for hire as well.
Some area hotels provide courtesy airport shuttle service for their guests. Ask your hotel about shuttle service details and availability. The following hotels offer airport shuttle service: Gueylin Hotel • Luckynews Classic Hotel • Novotel Taipei Taoyuan International Airport.
SkyTrain is a free automated train service that runs between the two terminals. Trains operate from 6:00AM - 12:00AM, departing in 2 - 4 minute intervals during peak hours (or 4 - 8 minutes off-peak). After hours, SkyTrain is available on-call by pressing the “Night Time Train” button at the platform.
The airport offers a free shuttle bus service between the two terminals. Buses operate from 5:00AM - 1:10AM in 10 - 30 minute intervals, depending on the volume of flight arrivals and departures throughout the day.
Taxis are readily available 24 hours a day at the west side of Terminals 1 and 2 Arrivals Lobby. All taxis servicing the airport are metered and undergo a strict evaluation by the Aviation Police Office before being permitted to serve the airport.
Last Updated: 14 November 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.