Taipei Taoyuan Airport
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Taipei Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
the best place to lay-over is the Transit Lounge located in terminal 2
I spent last night in Taipei Airport's Terminal 1 and really enjoyed it. I got in from Tokyo-Narita at about 8pm and checked in for my flight out the next morning right away, so I missed out on the showers and the tours...definitely wish I would have waited!
The airport was a great place to sleep, though. I know a lot of people have mentioned it's cold, but I wore shorts and a t-shirt and didn't have much trouble. There are huge couches everywhere; I'm 6' 8' and fit without a problem. I took a few hour's nap on one and then spent the rest of the night in the Christian (represent!) prayer room - you can turn off the lights, shut the door, and (I think) set the temperature to your liking. Everything shuts down around 11pm and opens at 6, so it's really quiet.
I hit up the massage chairs too and was very pleased. Get the tokens from the information kiosk before you go marching down the D row or you'll have to march all the way back if you want a massage. 20 minutes and it almost felt like a bit much.
Power can be hard to find, but I noticed a nice little spot on a pillar behind the museum on the 2nd floor that would probably be a great sleep/recharge spot. Also, the only working WiFi I found was on the 1st floor between the museum and the hotel. I think it was from one of the airline clubs.
All in all, this was a great night. Highly recommend it.
Have you been to Taipei Taoyuan Airport recently? Tell us about it!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Taipei Taoyuan airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- The More International Business Center and Premium Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, departures hall, 4th floor. Showers are available. Hours: 6am - 1130pm. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (NT 1,100) • Priority Pass.
- The More International Business Center and Premium Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, Airside, departures hall, 4th floor. Showers are available. Hours: 6am - 1130pm. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (NT 1,100) • Priority Pass.
Additionally, there are airline lounges that require Elite Status/First or Business Class tickets for entry:
- Cathay Pacific Airways - Terminal 1, Airside, 4th floor Departure Hall. Hours: 4am - 8pm
- TransAsia Airways and Thai Airways - Terminal 1, Airside, 4th floor. Hours: Opens 2 hours before first flight departure and closes 30 minutes before the last flight.
- China Airlines - Terminal 1, Airside, 4th floor Departure Hall (hours: 530am - 1130pm) • Terminal 2, Airside, central area on 2nd floor (hours: 6am - 10pm)
- Japan Airlines - Terminal 2, Airside, central area on 3rd floor. Hours: 6am - 1130pm
- Eva Airlines - Terminal 2, Airside, east side of Departure Transit Lounge, 4th Floor. Hours: open 24 hours
- Singapore Airlines - Terminal 2, Airside, west side of Departure Transit Lounge at 4th Floor. Hours: 530am - 12am
Free WiFi is available at the Taipei Taoyuan Airport.
- Terminal 1 - there are 3 areas airside with internet facilities.
- 1st floor, in the north end of the departures hall
- North Departure corridors
- South Departure corridors
- Terminal 2 - WiFi is available at 2F in Mila Coffee
If sleeping in the Taipei Airport does not appeal to you, there is a hotel inside the terminal for your travellers in transit and another hotel nearby:
- Evergreen Transit Hotel - Terminal 2, airside (in transit). Day rooms are available.
- Novotel Taipei Taoyuan International Airport - located 5 minutes from the airport. Free airport shuttle.
- Art Gallery - Location: Terminal 2
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Information not available
- AV Center - there is a small theatre where they show licenced movies all day. Location: Terminal 1, 2F, Airside, Zones A & B
- Car Rentals - Yes. Locations: Terminal 1, north side of the arrivals lobby • Terminal 2, north side of arrival passenger reception area.
- Children's Play Area - Locations: Terminal 1 (Airside, central area of the 3rd floor Departure Hall) • Terminal 2 (Landside, on the north side of the 1st floor) • Terminal 2 (Airside, 3rd floor, boarding concourse D) • Terminal 2 (Airside, south side of the 3rd floor in boarding concourse C - this location is Hello Kitty themed). Hours: open 24 hours.
- Cloud-based Reading Services - Computers, wireless internet and comfortable seats are available to catch up with emails while you wait for your flights. Locations: Terminal 1, 2F, Airside, Zones A & B
- Cultural Activities - The Cultural Experience Area gives visitors the opportunity to experience traditional art and cultural during their time in the airport. Receive a free zodiac souvenir card and, learn calligraphy and draw on round Chinese traditional fans and paper umbrellas. Location: Terminal 2, Gate D3. Here are a few more cultural activities that are available: Taiwan Tea Tasting Area (Terminal 2, Departure Concourse) • Pili Puppet Legend Gallery (Terminal 2, Gate D7) • San Cai Tang - Taiwan Craft Shop (Terminal 2, Gate D6) •
- Currency Exchange - There are banks offering foreign exchange services (landside and airside).
- Food & Drinks - At the time of this guide update, the only 24-hour food or beverage outlet is the 7-Eleven located in Terminal 2, Food Court on B2.
- Information Desk - Information not available
- Library - As part of the airport's themed lounges, the e-library is co-planned with the National Museum of Taiwan Literature. Here you will find books, tablet computers, e-books and mobile charging stations. Access: free.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - There are two left luggage offices: Terminal 1 (on 1F, in the Customs Inspection lounge, Arrivals) • Terminal 2 (on 1F, in the Customs Inspection lounge, Arrivals). Rates: start at NT$200
- Massages - Locations: Terminal 1, 2F, Zones A & B
- National Museum of History - Exhibitions and displays from the National Museum of History can be found at Terminal 1 ( on the South Departure Corridors) and Terminal 2 (3rd floor Departure Hall, north side • 3rd floor Departure Hall, south side). Hours: 8am - 6pm
- National Palace - Exhibitions and displays from the National Palace can be found at Terminal 1 (north Departure Corridors) and Terminal 2 (Airside, 3rd floor, in the Departure Corridor • Airside, 4th floor). Hours: 9am - 5pm
- Prayer Rooms - There are Christian, Buddhist and Islamic prayer rooms. Locations: Terminal 1 (Airside, Boarding Concourse) • Terminal 1 (Airside, Boarding Area) • Terminal 2 (Christianity - Airside, 3rd floor, north side of the boarding concourse and 3rd floor, south side of the boarding concourse) • Terminal 2 (Buddhism - Airside, 3rd floor, south side of the boarding concourse) • Terminal 2 (Islam - Airside, 3rd floor, south side of the boarding concourse). Hours: open 24 hours.
- Rest Zones - you can find reclining lounge style chairs at various gates inside the terminal. At the Scenic Zone, they have padded reclining chairs. Location: Terminals 1 & 2, 3F, Airside.
- Showers - Location: Terminal 1 (Arrivals Hall North, 3rd Floor) • Terminal 2 (Baggage Claim, next to the carousel 6). Hours: open 24 hours. Rate: Free
- Smoking - There are four Smoking rooms located airside: Terminal 1 (3rd floor, south corridor • 3rd floor, north corridor) and Terminal 2 (3rd floor, central area • 3rd floor, central area). Hours: open 24 hours.
- Themed Waiting Lounges - There are themed lounges such as the cute Hello Kitty Wonderland lounge (C3, the "e-Library Lounge" is where you can read a book while you wait (C5), sample some local tea at the "Unforgettable Yummy" lounge (C6), write a postcard at the "Postal Waiting Lounge (C7). Access: free
The airport is open 24 hours.
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Taipei Taoyuan Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2015 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2015.
- Submit your Airport Review - Register to submit your airport review or simply email your annonymous review to me and I will add it to the database.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Taipei Travel Resources
- Tripadvisor - search Taipei hotel deals, check availability and read traveller reviews.
Last Updated: 09 June 2014
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you du ring your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.