Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Taipei Taoyuan Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
the best place to lay-over is the Transit Lounge located in terminal 2 – San
TPE Airport Overview
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Taipei Taoyuan Airport.
What to Expect
Taipei Taoyuan Airport (code: TPE) consists of two terminals: Terminal 1 There’s a decent amount of Asian and Western food outlets and shops. Several restaurants and at least 3 convenience stores are open 24 hours to help you prepare for your overnight stay. Other airport highlights include the indoor gardens, themed rest zones, and free shower facilities. WiFi is available to help pass the time. Economy class passengers who want to upgrade their airport experience can pay to enter a few airport lounges. Two lounges have showers and one has a designated nap area. See Airport Lounges in the guide below for locations and access information.
Sleeping in Taoyuan Airport
As a busy transit hub, you’ll find travellers napping in between flights at all hours. In fact, the airport layout makes for corners that offer some peace and quiet. Seating is generally comfortable, with recliner chairs at several gates. Explore our guide to sleeping in Taipei Taoyuan Airport or read some traveller airport reviews for more tips. For uninterrupted sleep, one airport lounge offers private resting rooms by the hour. Otherwise, nearby hotels and hostels offer free or paid shuttle service. See the Airport Hotels section below for locations.
Due to the current Covid-19 pandemic, all services and times listed below are subject to change. Some services and facilities may remain closed or operate with reduced hours. Airport tips and suggestions in this guide and elsewhere on the site were written before March 2020 and may no longer be valid. If you are planning to sleep in the public area of the terminal overnight, have a back-up plan! We’ve heard from a few travellers at other airports and they were not permitted to stay overnight. We’re not sure if that will apply to this airport, until a reader lets us know the current situation. If you have some time to spare please write a review, send a tip or share photos to help future travellers.
For more airport information continue scrolling down to explore more in our Taoyuan Airport Guide.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security. For more information on Europe’s Schengen Area, click here.
Taipei Airport Hotels
- Nearest Hotel: Within 5 minutes from the airport
- Sleep Cabins or Pods: Yes
- Day Rooms: Yes
- Nearby Hotels with Free Shuttles: Yes
When the prospect of sleeping on the floor or in a chair isn’t really doing it for you, there is good news for those of you who are looking to sleep at Taipei Airport in comfort. If you are on a layover in Terminal 2, you don’t have to go through security as there is a lounge that offers nap rooms that can be booked for 6 or 12 hour time slots. A number of nearby hotels offer airport shuttles.
In Transit Plaza Premium Lounge – While not technically a hotel, the Plaza Premium Lounge offers private rooms within the transit area of Terminal 2. Rooms can be booked at the door (TWD 4500 – 6 hours or TWD 6000 – 12 hours). Definitely on the pricey side; however, room rates also include lounge access, food, showers and you save yourself the hassle of leaving the airport. See Airport Lounges above.
Near Airport Backpackers Hostel Taoyuan Airport – (5 minutes from the airport) Airport transfers are available for a fee. » Check Rates
Near Airport Novotel Taipei Taoyuan International Airport – (5 minutes from the airport) Free roundtrip airport shuttle to/from Terminals 1 and 2 runs every 30 minutes from 6:00AM to 11:30PM. » Check Rates
Near Airport City Suites Gateway – (10 minutes from the airport) The hotel is close to the metro line where you can take the Airport MRT Line (purple). » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Taipei Taoyuan Airport on TripAdvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Passes Plaza Premium Lounge (Terminal 1, Zone D) – Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Level 4, Departure Hall, Zone D. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
Passes Plaza Premium Lounge (Terminal 1, Zone C) – Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Level 4, Departure Hall, Zone C. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
More Premium Lounge – Location: Terminal 2, Airside, departures hall, 4th floor. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door.
Plaza Premium Lounge (Terminal 2, Zone A) – Location: Terminal 2, Airside, Level 4, Zone A. Showers and napping areas are available (see Hotel section below). Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Lounge membership programs.
Plaza Premium Lounge (Terminal 2, Zone A1) – Location: Terminal 2, Airside, Level 4, Zone A1. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Lounge membership programs.
If you are a First or Business Class traveller you may have access to the lounges listed below. For more information, check the airline’s website.
Terminal 1, Airside: China Airlines Lounge V1 • Cathay Pacific Lounge.
Terminal 2, Airside: Singapore Airlines Silverkris Business Class Lounge • Japan Airlines JAL Taoyuan Airport Lounge • China Airlines Supreme Lounge V3 • The Club by EVA Air • EVA Air the Star • EVA Air the Garden • China Airlines Lounge V2 • EVA Air the Infinity.
Related pages: Taipei Airport Lounges
Free WiFi is available at Taipei Taoyuan Airport. Connect to the “Airport Free WiFi” network.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
- Mobile Phone Rental / SIM Cards – Several telecom companies offer mobile phone rentals and prepaid SIM cards. Locations: T1, landside, 1F (two locations) • T1, landside, 3F • T2, landside, 1F • T2, landside, 2F • T2, landside, 3F Hours: Vary per location.
- Post Office – Send your last minute postcards to friends and family from the airport’s post offices. Locations: Location: T1, 1F (Departures) Hours: 9:00AM – 5:00PM T2 • 1F (Arrivals) Hours: 8:30AM – 5:00PM .
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – Cots, nursing areas, changing tables and hot water dispensers are available in the Lactation/Nursery rooms. Locations: Terminal 1: 1F, 2F (2 locations), 3F (3 locations), 4F and B1 • Terminal 2: 1F, 3F (2 locations) and 4F.
- Children’s Play Area – When you want to ensure your kids burn off all their energy before their flight, take them to one of the children’s play area. Locations: Terminal 1 (Airside, central area of the 3rd floor Departure Hall) • Terminal 2 (Landside, on the north side of the 1st floor) • Terminal 2 (Airside, 3rd floor, boarding concourse D) • Terminal 2 (Airside, south side of the 3rd floor in boarding concourse C – this location is Hello Kitty themed). Hours: open 24 hours.
- Sports Park – Get in your daily workout in before your flight! The airport provides passengers with access to the Sports Park, equipped with treadmills, stationary-bikes and even a yoga zone! Location: Terminal 2, Airside, 3F, near Gates D1, Hours: 6:00AM – 11:00PM. Rates: access to the area is free of charge.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules (many are open between 6:00AM – 11:30PM). At the time of this update, the following are open 24 hours:
- Dream Cafe (T2, landside, 1F) • Burger King (T2, landside, 4F) • Illy Cafe (T1, Airside, near Gate A8 & Gate B7) • Middle East Halal Kitchen (T1, Airiside, B1) • Mos Burger (T2, landside, 4F) • D3 Bar (T2, airside, 3F).
- Snacks, beverages and other items can be purchased 24 hours a day from these convenience stores: 7-Eleven (T1, landside, B1 x 2 locations) • Family Mart (T2, landside, 3F).
- Information Desk – Have any questions? Visit one of the information desks for assistance! Locations: Terminal 1 – 1F • Terminal 2, 3F. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Baggage Carts – Need a hand with your luggage? Baggage carts are available throughout the airport.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Taiwan Pelican Express Company offers luggage storage in the airport with locations in each Terminal. Hours: vary. However you will find each terminal offers one 24 hour location each. Rates per day: NT$200 (under 12 KG) • NT$250 (12 – 22 KG) • NT$300 (23 – 32 KG) • NT$400 (33 – 42 KG) • NT$500 (over 42 KG). You will also find small storage lockers available for rent. Prices are 40, 60 or 80 yuan per 3 hours.
- Luggage Wrapping – Taiwan Pelican Express Company offers luggage wrapping in the airport with locations in each Terminal. Hours: vary. However you will find each terminal offers one 24 hour location each. Rates: unknown. Luggage weighing is also available here for free.
- Medical Services – Comprehensive and emergency medical care is available in the airport clinics. Locations: T1, landside, 3F (Hours: 8:30AM – 5:00PM) • T1, airside, B1 (Hours: 8:30AM – 8:30PM) • T2, airside, 1F (Hours: 8:30AM – 8:30PM) • T2, landside, 3F (Hours: 8:00AM – 5:00PM).
- Pharmacy – For any last minute pharmaceutical needs, there are two pharmacies at the airport. Location: T1, Airside, 3F (Hours: 6:00AM – 11:00PM) • T2, Airside, 3F (Hours: 6:00AM – 11:30PM).
- Mobile Charging – Mobile charging boxes are available in both Terminals 1 and two. A reader has also informed us, “There is both USB charging and power outlets available at many of the tables at the seating area next to McDonald’s and Jamha Juice in Terminal 2.” (August 2019)
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Machines are operated by Bank of Taiwan, Mega International Commercial Bank and Chunghwa Post. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Terminal 1, Departure Hall (1F) • Terminal 1, Arrival Hall (1F) • Terminal 1, Departure Hall (3F) • Terminal 1, Arrival Immigration Hall (3F) • Terminal 1, B1 bank counters • Terminal 2, Arrival Hall (1F) • Terminal 2, Arrival Immigration Hall (2F) • Terminal 2, Departure Hall (3F) • Terminal 2, B2.
- Banking Services – Bank of Taiwan and Mega ICBC Bank offer full-service banking and currency exchange at locations throughout the landside and airside areas of both terminals. Hours: Vary per location.
- Currency Exchange – Currency exchange is available 24 hours a day at these locations: Bank of Taiwan (T1, landside, 1F • T1, landside, 1F Arrivals • T2, landside, 1F) • Mega ICBC Bank (T2, landside, 1F Arrivals) • Currency exchange is also available at some of the full-service banks in the airport.
- Prayer Rooms – Buddhist, Protestant/Catholic, and Muslim prayer rooms are available. Locations: T1, airside, near Gates A4 and B3 • T2, airside, near Gates C1 and D7.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – You can find reclining lounge style chairs at various gates inside the terminal. At the Scenic Zone, they have padded reclining chairs. Location: Terminals 1 & 2, 3F, Airside. A transfer resting area (T2, Zone D) offers 13 reclining chairs. Also in T2, look for the Shi Shi Ru Yuan resting area at the 4F Transfer Hall.
Take precaution even when sleeping in the rest zones. In December 2019, a traveller at another airport reported that money and credit cards had been stolen from their bag even though the bag was right beside them. Protect and lock your bags as you would sleeping elsewhere in public.
- Duty Free & Shopping – Duty-free shopping is available, all located airside and all are open from 6:00AM – 11:30PM. Crafts, books, indigenous souvenirs, local delicacies and other items can be purchased from a wide variety of retail shops located throughout the airport. Look for one of the four Everrich magazine/book shops (Terminal 1), they have recently added seating areas to make it more comfy to read a book.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Showers – Equipped with tables, chairs, hooks and mirrors, the airport’s shower rooms are an ideal place to freshen up after a long day of travel. There are showers in seven airside locations: T1, 1F, Arrivals • T1, 2F, Arrivals (2 locations) • T1, 4F, Departures • T2, 1F, Arrivals • T2, 4F, Departures (2 locations) • All shower rooms operate 24 hours a day. Rate: Free. **Towels are available at the Salon Shop around the corner from the location in Terminal 2, on 2F. Fee is US$4.
- Massages – Partial body massage (upper body and back) by a highly-skilled blind masseur/masseuse are available at the Visually Impaired Friend Massage Service Center. Location: T2, airside, 4F (2 locations). Hours: 10:00AM – 7:00PM and 7:30AM – 8:00PM.
- Smoking – There are four Smoking rooms located airside: Terminal 1 (3rd floor, south corridor • 3rd floor, north corridor) and Terminal 2 (3rd floor, central area • 3rd floor, central area). Hours: open 24 hours.
Things to do & see
- Art Gallery – Location: Terminal 2.
- AV Center – there is a small theatre where they show licenced movies all day. Location: Terminal 1, 2F, Airside, Zones A & B.
- Cloud-based Reading Services – Computers, wireless internet and comfortable seats are available to catch up with emails while you wait for your flights. Locations: Terminal 1, 2F, Airside, Zones A & B.
- Cultural Activities – The Cultural Experience Area gives visitors the opportunity to experience traditional art and cultural during their time in the airport. Receive a free zodiac souvenir card and, learn calligraphy and draw on round Chinese traditional fans and paper umbrellas. Location: Terminal 2, Gate D3. Here are a few more cultural activities that are available: Taiwan Tea Tasting Area (Terminal 2, Departure Concourse) • Pili Puppet Legend Gallery (Terminal 2, Gate D7) • San Cai Tang – Taiwan Craft Shop (Terminal 2, Gate D6).
- Library – As part of the airport’s themed lounges, the e-library is co-planned with the National Museum of Taiwan Literature. Here you will find books, tablet computers, e-books and mobile charging stations. Access: free.
- National Museum of History – Exhibitions and displays from the National Museum of History can be found at Terminal 1 ( on the South Departure Corridors) and Terminal 2 (3rd floor Departure Hall, north side • 3rd floor Departure Hall, south side). Hours: 8:00AM – 6:00PM.
- National Palace – Exhibitions and displays from the National Palace can be found at Terminal 1 (north Departure Corridor.)
- Themed Waiting Lounges – There are themed lounges such as the cute Hello Kitty Wonderland lounge (C3), the “e-Library Lounge” is where you can read a book while you wait (C5), sample some local tea at the “Unforgettable Yummy” lounge (C6), write a postcard at the “Postal Waiting Lounge (C7). Access: free.
- Transit Tour – Free half day tours are available for transit passengers with 7-24 hour layovers. You must have a valid R.O.C. visa or come from countries eligible for visa-exempt entry. Two tour options are available: Sanxia-Yingge Half-Day Tour (morning from 8:15AM – 12:30PM) and Taipei City Half-Day Tour (afternoon from 2:00PM – 6:15PM). There are 6 seats that can be pre-booked online via email and 12 seats that can be booked on-site. To book on-site, once you’ve arrived, visit the Tourist Service Center located in the Arrival Lobby of Terminal 1 and Terminal 2.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Taipei Taoyuan airport is served by the following airlines: Air Busan • Air Canada • Air China • Air Macau • Air New Zealand • Air Asia • All Nippon Airways • Asiana Airlines • Baboo Airways • Batik Air • Cathay Pacific • Cebu Pacific • China Airlines • China Eastern Airlines • China Southern • Eastar • Emirates • EVA Air • Far Eastern Air Transport • Garuda Indonesia • Hainan Airlines • Hebei Airlines • Hong Kong Airlines • Japan Airlines • JC International Airlines • Jeju Air • Jetstar • Jin Air • JSC Royal Flight Airlines • Juneyao Airlines • KLM • Korean Air • Malaysia Airlines • Malindo Airways • Mandarin Airlines • NokScoot Airlines • Peach Airlines • Philippines Airlines • Royal Brunei Airlines • S7 Airlines • Scoot • Shandong Airlines • Shenzhen Airlines • Sichuan Airlines • Singapore Airlines • Spring Airlines • StarFlyer Inc. • Thai Airways • Thai Lion Air • Turkish Airlines • T’way Airlines • Uni Airways • United Airlines • VietJet • Vietnam Airlines • Xiamen Airlines.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
At least seven local bus lines access the airport, picking up passengers from bus zones at Terminal 1 (B1 Arrivals) or Terminal 2 (northeast arcade of 1st floor Arrivals). For more information visit the Taipei Taoyuan Airport website
TPE airport offers a shuttle bus service connecting it with Novotel Hotel and THSR Station, a train station on Taiwan’s high speed railway network. Buses run in 5 – 10 minute intervals during peak times, and total trip time is 25 minutes. As of this update, fares start at NT$15 and up.
The following car rental companies offer both self-drive and chauffeur-driven vehicles for hire: Carplus Auto Leasing (T1), Ching Bing Auto Leasing (T1), Avis Taiwan (T2) and Hotai Leasing (T2).
Pro-Tip: A reader (July 2018) tells us that an International Drivers License is required to rent a car. Be sure to look into the necessary requirements before starting your journey.
See Airport Hotels above.
SkyTrain is a free automated train service that runs between the two terminals. Trains operate from 6:00AM – 12:00AM, departing in 2 – 4 minute intervals during peak hours (or 4 – 8 minutes off-peak). After hours, SkyTrain is available on-call by pressing the “Night Time Train” button at the platform.
The airport offers a free shuttle bus service between the two terminals. Buses operate from 5:00AM – 1:10AM in 10 – 30 minute intervals, depending on the volume of flight arrivals and departures throughout the day.
Taxis are readily available 24 hours a day at the west side of Terminals 1 and 2 Arrivals Lobby. All taxis servicing the airport are metered and undergo a strict evaluation by the Aviation Police Office before being permitted to serve the airport.
The airport is well connected to the train system, offering both express and commuter trains. For fares, routes and schedules, visit the Taipei Taoyuan Airport website.
Last updated: 2020-10-21
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.