Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Taipei Taoyuan Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
the best place to lay-over is the Transit Lounge located in terminal 2
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us about their time at Taipei Taoyuan Airport.
What to Expect
Taipei Taoyuan Airport is large but easy to navigate. The two terminals are connected by an automated people mover, though you’ll do a lot of walking, too. A brand new Terminal 3 is currently under construction, with an anticipated opening in 2020.
There’s a decent amount of Asian and Western food outlets and shops, but only a few convenience stores stay open 24 hours, so plan ahead if you’re camping overnight. Other airport highlights include the indoor gardens, themed rest zones, and free shower facilities. WiFi is available to help pass the time. Economy class passengers who want to upgrade their airport experience can pay to enter a few airport lounges. Two lounges have showers and one has a designated nap area. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and access information.
Where to Sleep
As a busy transit hub, you’ll find travellers napping in between flights at all hours. In fact, the airport layout makes for corners that offer some peace and quiet. Seating is generally comfortable, with recliner chairs at several gates. Explore our guide to sleeping in Taipei Taoyuan Airport or read some traveller reviews for more tips. For uninterrupted sleep, one airport lounge offers private resting rooms by the hour. Otherwise, nearby hotels and hostels offer free or paid shuttle service. See our Airport Hotels section below for more info.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Passes Plaza Premium Lounge (Terminal 1, Zone D) – Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Level 4, Departure Hall, Zone D. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
Passes Plaza Premium Lounge (Terminal 1, Zone C) – Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Level 4, Departure Hall, Zone C. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs [ more lounge info ]
Passes Plaza Premium Lounge (Terminal 2, Zone A) – Location: Terminal 2, Airside, Level 4, Zone A. Showers and napping areas are available (see Hotel section below). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
Passes Plaza Premium Lounge (Terminal 2, Zone A1) – Location: Terminal 2, Airside, Level 4, Zone A1. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
Related pages: Taipei Airport Lounges
If sleeping in Taipei Airport does not appeal to you, there are private rooms inside the airport and hotels near the airport:
In Transit Plaza Premium Lounge – While not technically a hotel, the Plaza Premium Lounge offers private rooms within the transit area of Terminal 2. Rooms can be booked locally (TWD 4500 – 6 hours or TWD 6000 – 12 hours) or pre-booked online. Definitely on the pricey side; however, room rates also include lounge access, food, showers and you save yourself the hassle of leaving the airport. » Check Rates
Near Airport Backpackers Hostel Taoyuan Airport– (5 minutes from the airport) Airport transfers are available for a fee. » Check Rates
Near Airport Novotel Taipei Taoyuan International Airport – (5 minutes from the airport) Free roundtrip airport shuttle to/from Terminals 1 and 2 runs every 30 minutes from 6:00AM to 11:30PM. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Taipei Taoyuan Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Taipei Taoyuan Airport.
Terminal 1 – there are 3 areas airside with internet facilities:
- 1st floor, in the north end of the departures hall
- North Departure corridors
- South Departure corridors
Terminal 2 – WiFi is available at 2F in Mila Coffee
- Mobile Phone Rental / SIM Cards – Several telecom companies offer mobile phone rentals and prepaid SIM cards. Locations: T1, landside, 1F (two locations) • T1, landside, 3F • T2, landside, 1F • T2, landside, 2F • T2, landside, 3F Hours: Vary per location.
- Post Office – Chunghwa Post Location: T2, 1F (Arrivals) Hours: 8:0AM – 5:00PM • Location: T1, 1F (Departures) Hours: 9:00AM – 5:00PM.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – Cots, nursing areas, changing tables and hot water dispensers are available in the Lactation/Nursery rooms. Locations: Terminal 1: 1F, 2F (2 locations), 3F (3 locations), 4F and B1 • Terminal 2: 1F, 3F (2 locations) and 4F.
- Children’s Play Area – Locations: Terminal 1 (Airside, central area of the 3rd floor Departure Hall) • Terminal 2 (Landside, on the north side of the 1st floor) • Terminal 2 (Airside, 3rd floor, boarding concourse D) • Terminal 2 (Airside, south side of the 3rd floor in boarding concourse C – this location is Hello Kitty themed). Hours: open 24 hours.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules (many are open between 6:00AM – 11:30PM). At the time of this update, the following restaurant is open 24 hours: Halal-Dennis Deli (Terminal 2 – 3F, Airside). In addition, snacks, beverages and other items can be purchased 24 hours a day from these convenience stores: 7-Eleven (T2, landside, B2F) • Hi-Life (T1, landside, B1F) – two locations near the ticket counters.
- Information Desk – There is an informations counter in Terminal 1 – 1F. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Baggage Carts – Need a hand with your luggage? Baggage carts are available throughout the airport.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Taiwan Pelican Express Company offers luggage storage in the airport with locations in each Terminal. Hours: vary. However you will find each terminal offers one 24 hour location each. Rates per day: NT$200 (under 12 KG) • NT$250 (12 – 22 KG) • NT$300 (23 – 32 KG) • NT$400 (33 – 42 KG) • NT$500 (over 42 KG). You will also find small storage lockers available for rent. Prices are 40, 60 or 80 yuan per 3 hours.
- Luggage Wrapping – Taiwan Pelican Express Company offers luggage wrapping in the airport with locations in each Terminal. Hours: vary. However you will find each terminal offers one 24 hour location each. Rates: unknown. Luggage weighing is also available here for free.
- Medical Services – Comprehensive and emergency medical care is available in the Landseed Hospital airport clinics. Locations: T1, landside, B1 (Hours: 8:30AM – 9:00PM) • T2, airside, 1F (Hours: 8:30AM – 9:00PM) • T2, landside, 3F (Hours: 8:00AM – 5:00PM).
- Pharmacy – Location: T1, Airside, 3F. Hours: 6:00AM – 11:00PM • T2, Airside, 3F. Hours: 6:00AM – 11:30PM.
- Mobile Charging – One reader kindly let us know there are free charging boxes available in Terminal 2, Airside, level 3F near the Information Kiosk.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Machines are operated by Bank of Taiwan, Mega International Commercial Bank and Chunghwa Post. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Terminal 1, Departure Hall (1F) • Terminal 1, Arrival Hall (1F) • Terminal 1, Departure Hall (3F) • Terminal 1, Arrival Immigration Hall (3F) • Terminal 1, B1 bank counters • Terminal 2, Arrival Hall (1F) • Terminal 2, Arrival Immigration Hall (2F) • Terminal 2, Departure Hall (3F) • Terminal 2, B2.
- Banking Services – Bank of Taiwan and Mega ICBC Bank offer full-service banking and currency exchange at locations throughout the landside and airside areas of both terminals. Hours: Vary per location.
- Currency Exchange – Currency exchange is available 24 hours a day at these locations: Bank of Taiwan (T1, landside, 1F • T1, airside, 1F Arrivals • T2, landside, 1F) • Mega ICBC Bank (T2, airside, 1F Arrivals) • Currency exchange is also available at some of the full-service banks in the airport.
- Prayer Rooms – Buddhist, Protestant/Catholic, and Muslim prayer rooms are available. Locations: T1, airside, near Gates A4 and B3 • T2, airside, near Gates C1 and D7.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – You can find reclining lounge style chairs at various gates inside the terminal. At the Scenic Zone, they have padded reclining chairs. Location: Terminals 1 & 2, 3F, Airside.
- Duty Free & Shopping – Duty-free shopping is available, all located airside and all are open from 6:00AM – 11:30PM. Crafts, books, indigenous souvenirs, local delicacies and other items can be purchased from a wide variety of retail shops located throughout the airport. Look for one of the five Everrich magazine/book shops located throughout the airport, they have recently added seating areas to make it more comfy to read a book.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Showers – Equipped with tables, chairs, hooks and mirrors, the airport’s shower rooms are an ideal place to freshen up after a long day of travel. There are showers in seven airside locations: T1, 1F, Arrivals • T1, 2F, Arrivals (2 locations) • T1, 4F, Arrivals • T2, 1F, Arrivals • T2, 4F, Departures (2 locations) • All shower rooms operate 24 hours a day. Rate: Free. **Towels are available at the Salon Shop around the corner from the location in Terminal 2, on 2F. Fee is US$4.
- Massages – Partial body massage (upper body and back) by a highly-skilled blind masseur/masseuse are available at the Visually Impaired Friend Massage Service Center. Location: T2, airside, 4F (2 locations). Hours: 10:00AM – 7:00PM and 7:30AM – 8:00PM.
- Smoking – There are four Smoking rooms located airside: Terminal 1 (3rd floor, south corridor • 3rd floor, north corridor) and Terminal 2 (3rd floor, central area • 3rd floor, central area). Hours: open 24 hours.
Things to do & see
- Art Gallery – Location: Terminal 2.
- AV Center – there is a small theatre where they show licenced movies all day. Location: Terminal 1, 2F, Airside, Zones A & B.
- Cloud-based Reading Services – Computers, wireless internet and comfortable seats are available to catch up with emails while you wait for your flights. Locations: Terminal 1, 2F, Airside, Zones A & B.
- Cultural Activities – The Cultural Experience Area gives visitors the opportunity to experience traditional art and cultural during their time in the airport. Receive a free zodiac souvenir card and, learn calligraphy and draw on round Chinese traditional fans and paper umbrellas. Location: Terminal 2, Gate D3. Here are a few more cultural activities that are available: Taiwan Tea Tasting Area (Terminal 2, Departure Concourse) • Pili Puppet Legend Gallery (Terminal 2, Gate D7) • San Cai Tang – Taiwan Craft Shop (Terminal 2, Gate D6).
- Library – As part of the airport’s themed lounges, the e-library is co-planned with the National Museum of Taiwan Literature. Here you will find books, tablet computers, e-books and mobile charging stations. Access: free.
- National Museum of History – Exhibitions and displays from the National Museum of History can be found at Terminal 1 ( on the South Departure Corridors) and Terminal 2 (3rd floor Departure Hall, north side • 3rd floor Departure Hall, south side). Hours: 8:00AM – 6:00PM.
- National Palace – Exhibitions and displays from the National Palace can be found at Terminal 1 (north Departure Corridor.
- Themed Waiting Lounges – There are themed lounges such as the cute Hello Kitty Wonderland lounge (C3, the “e-Library Lounge” is where you can read a book while you wait (C5), sample some local tea at the “Unforgettable Yummy” lounge (C6), write a postcard at the “Postal Waiting Lounge (C7). Access: free.
The airport is open 24 hours.
As of March 2018, Taipei Taoyuan airport is served by the following airlines: Air Busan • Air Canada • Air China • Air Macau • AirAsia • ANA • Asiana Airlines • Cathay Pacific • Cebu Pacific • China Airlines • China Eastern • China Southern • Eastar • Emirates • EVA Air • Hainan Airlines • Hebei Airlines • Hong Kong Airlines • Japan Airlines • JC International Airlines • Jeju Air • Jetstar • Jin Air • Juneyao Airlines • KLM • Korean Air • Malaysia Airlines • Malindo Airways • Mandarin Airlines • Peach Airlines • Philippines Airlines • Scoot • Shandong Airlines • Shenzhen Airlines • Sichuan Airlines • Singapore Airlines • Spring Airlines • Thai Airways • Thai Lion Air • Tigerair • Turkish Airlines • T’way Airlines • Uni Airways • United Airlines • Vanilla Air • VietJet • Vietnam Airlines • Xiamen Airlines.
At least seven local bus lines access the airport, picking up passengers from bus zones at Terminal 1 (B1 Arrivals) or Terminal 2 (northeast arcade of 1st floor Arrivals). For more information visit the Taipei Taoyuan Airport website
The airport offers a shuttle bus service connecting it with Novotel Hotel and THSR Station, a train station on Taiwan’s high speed railway network. Buses run in 5 – 10 minute intervals during peak times, and total trip time is 25 minutes. As of this January 2018, fares start at NT$15 and up. Tickets can be purchased at UBUS service counters in the Arrivals Lobbies of Terminals 1 and 2, and on the bus platform at THSR Station.
Ching Bing Auto Leasing offers both self-drive and chauffeur-driven vehicles for hire, and is located on the west side of Terminal 1 Arrivals Lobby on the 1st floor (6:00AM – 1:30AM). Hotai Auto Leasing, located on the west side of the 1st floor at Terminal 2 Arrivals Lobby, offers self-drive and chauffeur-driven vehicles for hire as well.
Pro-Tip: A reader (July 2018) tells us that an International Drivers License is required to rent a car. Be sure to look into the necessary requirements before starting your journey.
SkyTrain is a free automated train service that runs between the two terminals. Trains operate from 6:00AM – 12:00AM, departing in 2 – 4 minute intervals during peak hours (or 4 – 8 minutes off-peak). After hours, SkyTrain is available on-call by pressing the “Night Time Train” button at the platform.
The airport offers a free shuttle bus service between the two terminals. Buses operate from 5:00AM – 1:10AM in 10 – 30 minute intervals, depending on the volume of flight arrivals and departures throughout the day.
Taxis are readily available 24 hours a day at the west side of Terminals 1 and 2 Arrivals Lobby. All taxis servicing the airport are metered and undergo a strict evaluation by the Aviation Police Office before being permitted to serve the airport.
Last updated: 2018-10-29
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.