Vientiane Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Vientiane Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
security likes to chat with westerners and does not care how long you stay here.
photo credit: Binderdonedat / Wikimedia
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Wattay International Airport.
What to Expect
- An international airport with two terminals: An older, smaller terminal used for domestic flights, and a larger, newly-built terminal for international flights.
- The international terminal is modern, well-lit and very clean, while the domestic terminal is outdated and dark inside. A small variety of shops and restaurants are available, but there’s not much entertainment available in either terminal.
- There have been reports of extortion during security checks.
- Possible language barrier, due to lack of English-speaking staff.
- Internet access is available in the airport, but at the time of this update, the details are unknown.
Where to Sleep
- Overnight stays are not permitted.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter one of the airport’s first class lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Vientiane Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- VIP Lounge - Rate: $8 includes free drinks and cake. (information submitted by a reader)
- Thai Airways Lounge - Location: International Departures, Airside, 2nd Floor.
WiFi is available at Vientiane Airport in the VIP Lounge. (information submitted by a reader)
If sleeping in Vientiane Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Dansavanh Nam Ngum Resort - Located opposite the airport.
- Sanjiang Grand Hotel - (5 minutes from the airport) Airport transfers available.
- Mercure Vientiane - (7 minutes from the airport) Airport shuttle van is available upon request, call +85621 213570-1 to book, $5.00USD each way. A private car can also be booked for $15.00USD each way.
- Sengtawan Riverside Hotel - (7 minutes from the airport) Free roundtrip airport shuttle is available uon request. No airport pick-up after 11:00PM.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Vientiane Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Yes
- Currency Exchange - Yes
- Food & Drinks - There is a restaurant as well as some other food stalls available.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - not available
- Shopping - Duty Free is available as well as a few other small shops.
- Showers - not available
Information not available
Information not available.
Last Updated: 30 March 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.