Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Vientiane Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
security likes to chat with westerners and does not care how long you stay here.
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Wattay International Airport.
What to Expect
- An international airport with two terminals: An older, smaller terminal used for domestic flights, and a larger, newly-built terminal for international flights.
- The international terminal is modern, well-lit and very clean, while the domestic terminal is outdated and dark inside. A small variety of shops and restaurants are available, but there’s not much entertainment available in either terminal.
- There have been reports of extortion during security checks.
- Possible language barrier, due to lack of English-speaking staff.
- Internet access is available in the airport, but at the time of this update, the details are unknown.
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter one of the airport’s first class lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
Where to Sleep
- Overnight stays are not permitted.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
- Business Lounge – Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 20.00 per person)
If you are a First or Business Class traveller you may have access to the lounge listed below. For more information, check the airline’s web site.
- Thai Airways Lounge – Location: International Departures, Airside, 2nd Floor.
If sleeping in Vientiane Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Dansavanh Nam Ngum Resort – Located opposite the airport. » Check Rates
- Sanjiang Grand Hotel – (5 minutes from the airport) Airport transfers are available. » Check Rates
- Mercure Vientiane – (7 minutes from the airport) Airport shuttle van is available upon request, call +85621 213570-1 to book, $5.00USD each way. A private car can also be booked for $15.00USD each way. » Check Rates
- Sengtawan Riverside Hotel – (7 minutes from the airport) Free roundtrip airport shuttle is available uon request. No airport pick-up after 11:00PM. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Vientiane Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
WiFi is available at Vientiane Airport in the VIP Lounge. (information submitted by a reader)
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: unknown.
Currency Exchange – Yes
Food & Drinks – There is a restaurant as well as some other food stalls available.
Luggage Storage & Lockers – Not available.
Mobile Charging – At the time of this update, we did not have any information about mobile charging availability. If you know, click here to update this airport guide.
Rest Zones – Not available.
Shopping – Duty Free is available as well as a few other small shops.
Showers – Not available.
While it appears that this airport closes at night (at least for several hours), as of this update, we were unable to confirm airport hours of operation. If you know the airport hours, click here to update this airport guide.
As of March 2019, Vientiane airport is served by the following airlines: Air Asia • Air Busan • Bangkok Airways • China Eastern Airlines • China Southern Airlines • Hainan • Jeju Air • Jin Air • Lao Skyway • Sichuan Airlines • Scoot • Silk Air • T’Way Airlines • Thai AirAsia • Thai Airways • Thai Smile • Vietnam Airlines.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
If traveling light and on a tight budget, you can take a public bus from the airport to the city center. Buses pass along the main road, about 500m from the airport terminal. To reach the airport from the city, take Bus 30 from the central bus terminal, which departs in 30 minute intervals.
Some local hotels offer shuttle service to and from the airport. Contact your hotel of choice for availability and details.
Prepaid taxis are readily available for hire in the ground transportation area of the airport. Stop at the taxi booth in the Arrivals hall to pay for your ride. You will receive a ticket to give to your taxi driver before boarding the taxi. “Tuk tuks” (auto-rickshaws) are also available, and require your best bargaining skills for a fair price.
Last updated: 2019-03-18
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.