Panama City Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Panama City Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I'm in hour 2 of a 16 hour wait at this airport and so far it's not satisfying many of my needs.
Airside seating. photo credit: 3lkrs.
August 2014 - Lima to Costa Rica, overnight in Panama City. Landed in Panama at 5:30pm and scheduled to leave at 9:30am the next day. So began my 17 hour layover. Budget traveler wanted to save myself from having to spend money on taxi to/from airport, hotel, exit tax, and time to get through security once again. Panama city airport is like a shopping mall. A store for all the merchandise one could ask for. Not to mention, beautiful women selling it to you. Restaurant choices are airport typical and close around 9pm and don't properly open until around 7am the next day. Get yourself fed and a few cocktails don't hurt when you're going to be sleeping in chairs. Grab some water (as the water fountains are crap) and some snacks before the shops close up. In the center of the airport around gates 20-24, the chairs are four long without armrests and are not fixed to the ground so you can move them around. Find a pillar with a working outlet (many of them are broken or are unable to gain power without you holding the plug in place) and push the benches towards the window and settle in. Sleep was interrupted by the cleaning crew around 1am, standard practice for airport sleeping. Then began the giant game of zombie-like musical chairs with about 40 adults searching for new prospects. Check the monitors/smart phone for a gate that doesn't have a 5am flight going out of it. 7am, the airport will begin to bustle again so don't expect to sleep in. The bathrooms are decent enough, head to the ones in the center of the airport as the ones on the ends are typically not stocked with TP and hand towels. Bring a tooth brush, your fellow passengers on your connecting flight will thank you. All in all, not the best or worst airport overnight I've experienced. Good Luck!
Have you been to Panama City Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Panama City airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Copa Club - Location: Airside, Second floor, above Gates 21 and 21A. Showers are available. 5:45AM - 4:00PM & 7:00PM - 9:45PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
- Tocumen Royal Saloon - Location: Landside, 3nd Floor. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
- Airport Club - Location: Airside, Satellite B, near Gate 32. Lounge Access: to be advised
Free WiFi is available at Panama City airport for 2 hours.
If sleeping in Panama City Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Crowne Plaza Panama Airport - (1 min from the airport) Airport shuttle service available.
- Riande Aeropuerto - (3 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service is available.
- Courtyard Panama at Metromall - (10 min from the airport) The hotel does not offer a shuttle.
- Hostal Entre Dos Aguas B&B - (15 min from the airport) Airport transfers available ($).
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Panama City Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - There are at least 6 ATM’S available at the airport.
- Currency Exchange - Travelex has two locations, at Level 100 and the Duty Free area. Hours: Not known.
- Duty Free and Shopping - Duty Free is available as well as several other shops. Hours: Low Season 5:30AM - 9:00/10:00PM, High Season some may remain open 24 hours.
- Food & Drinks - There are no 24-hour food concessions, only vending machines.
- Information Desk - Location: Landside, Main Hall - Hours: open 24 hours.
- Medical Services - Yes, Level 100. Free service. Hours: Not known.
- Smoking - Smoking is prohibited anywhere inside the airport.
The airport is open 24 hours.
The following agencies provide car rental service from Tocumen Airport: Alamo • Avis • Barriga • Budget • Dollar • Hertz • National • Sixt and Thrifty.
Only taxis operated by Tourist Taxi Service can be boarded at Tocumen International Airport. These taxis are available exclusively to tourists in order to guarantee passenger safety and service.
Last Updated: 07 June 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.