Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Panama City Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
I’m in hour 2 of a 16 hour wait at this airport and so far it’s not satisfying many of my needs. – Sean
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Panama City Tocumen Airport.
What to Expect
- Reviews are mixed on the cleanliness and functionality of the airport’s facilities, but there are a wide variety of shopping and dining options.
- Speaking of dining options, all of them close promptly in the evening, so stock up on enough snacks and beverages to get you through the night!
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter one of the airport’s comfortable lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
- WiFi is available. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- The airport’s air-conditioning can make the airport terminal too cold to sleep, so have a warm sweater, travel blanket or sleeping bag handy to stay warm through the night.
- A sleeping bag will also come in handy for sleeping on the floor, as all airport seating has armrests. If you don’t have a sleeping bag, a travel mat or even a blanket may do.
- Explore our guide to sleeping in Panama City Airport or read some traveller reviews for more tips.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door or through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
If sleeping in Panama City Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Crowne Plaza Panama Airport – (1 minutes from the airport) A free 24-hour airport shuttle runs every 30 minutes. To find the shuttle, follow the signs to parking areas. Cross the street and look for the purple and white Crowne Plaza bus. » Check Rates
- Riande Aeropuerto – (3 minutes from the airport) (3 minutes from the airport) A free airport shuttle is available. To find the shuttle, exit the airport and you will see the dedicated bus stop. The bus runs every 20 minutes. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Panama City Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Panama City airport for two hours. Connect to the “Tocumen Free” network to start surfing. When the free time limit expires, you can pay by the hour up to 24 hours.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Location: Landside and Airside.
Banking Services – Banco Nacional de Panama is located in Sector 100.
Currency Exchange – Travelex has one location each in Sector 100 and the Duty-Free zone.
Duty Free and Shopping – Duty-free shopping is available airside in the Duty Free zone. A variety of souvenir shops are available landside in the public access hall. Hours: 5:30AM – 9:00PM (or 10:00PM). During high season, some shops stay open 24 hours.
Food & Drinks – The airport offers a good variety of restaurants and coffee shops (17 in total). We are unable to confirm the hours at the time of this update and we have no reviews reporting any 24 hour operations. Vending machines are available.
Information Desk – Location: Landside, Main Hall – Hours: open 24 hours.
Luggage Storage & Lockers – In March 2017, a reader let us know that there is a left luggage office after you exit the customs area. Rates are $5/day for a suitcase, but more expensive for large items like surfboards.
Medical Services – Urgent and emergency medical care is available free of charge at the medical clinic in Sector 100, near the car rental agencies. If needed, medical staff can transfer a sick or injured passenger from a different area of the airport to the medical clinic.
Pharmacy – Farmacias Arrocha is available. Location and hours: unknown.
Rest Zones – Not available.
Mobile Charging – Mobile charging is available, with power outlets compatible with US plugs.
Showers – Showers are available in the Copa Club. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
Smoking – Smoking is prohibited anywhere inside the airport.
The airport is open 24 hours.
As of March 2018, Panama City airport is served by the following airlines: Copa • KLM • Avior Airlines • Air France • Avianca • Aeromexico • Spirit • Air Canada • American Airlines • Delta • Condor • Lufthansa • United Airlines • Venezolana • Aruba Airlines • Turkish Airlines • SBA Airlines • Iberia • Conviasa • Laser Airlines.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
The following agencies provide car rental service from Tocumen Airport: Ace • Alamo • Avis • Budget • Dollar • Hertz • National • Sixt • Thrifty and more.
Only taxis operated by Tourist Taxi Service can be boarded at Tocumen International Airport. These taxis are available exclusively to tourists in order to guarantee passenger safety and service. For a sample list of fares, visit the Panama City Airport website.
Last updated: 2018-10-23
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.