Almaty Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Almaty Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I didn't actually sleep in the building and they'd probably turf anyone out that was silly enough to try. -chris
Photo by Tarus Das
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Almaty International Airport.
What to Expect
- A small international airport with two terminals (International and Domestic), which must be reached on foot if changing terminals. There are a few (expensive!) shopping and dining options, including some 24-hour food concessions.
- A big language barrier...reviewers report that most of the staff spoke little to no English.
Inefficient security and immigration checkpoints mean long, slow lines.
- One reviewer described airside as small and boring, with not enough seats and almost no shops or dining options.
- The airport is busiest at night, as most flights in and out of Almaty take place at night
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Despite a lack of seating, there are a few soft, comfortable seats in front of the luggage drop-off and to the left-side in Departures.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Do not litter or throw cigarette butts on the floor after smoking! One reviewer had to pay a “fine” on the spot to police.
- There is a business class waiting area with comfortable seats open 24 hours a day over in the landside section of Domestic departures. The lounge is for business class passengers only, but we have no information at this time as to whether you can pay to enter as an economy class passenger. One reviewer mentioned that nobody seems to be around to check tickets, so one can enter and exit the lounge as they please.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Almaty Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
There are no pay-per-use lounges at the Almaty airport.
Free WiFi is available at Almaty Airport. Connect to the "Airport_Wi-Fi" network.
If sleeping in Almaty Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Aksunkar Hotel - (3 min walk from the airport)
- Almaport Apartments - (10 min walk from the airport) This is a privately-owned flat with no identifiable numbers on the outside of the building, so it’s best to call the owner and arrange for a pickup or instructions on how to find her place. Free airport pick up is available.
- Ekipage Hotel - (10 min walk from the airport) Free airport pick up
This is a small airport. There is not much going for it, so bring your own comfort and entertainment. The following is a list of services and facilities available at Almaty Airport:
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Yes, available.
- Baggage Trolleys - Yes, available however the rates are not known.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Currency Exchange - Yes, available.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty Free is available as well as a small selection of shops (magazines, souvenirs, etc.).
- Family Services - A mother and child room is available.
- Food & Drinks -The airport offers cafes, bars and restaurants however the location and hours are not known.
- Information Desk - Yes, available.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Yes, available, location and hours are not known.
- Medical Services - A First Aid office is located within the airport.
- Prayer Room - Yes, available.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Almaty Airport is served by city bus routes #79, #86, #92 and #106.
The following car rental agencies are available onsite: Bay Tau Rent Company, Caspian Rent-A-Car, Dixie, Europcar, Evrasia Car, Garage Taxi Rental, Navigator Auto Rental and Prokatis KZ.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Astana International Hotel • Aksunkar Hotel • Kazzhol Hotel • Royal Palace Hotel • Royal Park Hotel.
Taxis are available in a line outside of the airport terminal. Since taxis are not metered, fares must be agreed upon before departing on your journey. Uniformed staff are available on hand to assist in hiring an airport taxi.
Last Updated: 11 December 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.