Barcelona El Prat Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Barcelona El Prat Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Stepping inside the terminal from steamy heat into the freezer that was El Prat gave me a helluva jolt. -Alex
Photo credit: Krzyśtof Molak
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at Barcelona Airport.
What to Expect
- The airport has two terminals. T1 is brand new, modern, and very easy to navigate for both European and international destinations. T2 is divided into three sections, with only 2B and 2C currently in use primarily for low-cost carriers.
- Long, slow lines for check-in and security, and sluggish, apathetic staff during high season. Plan to spend at least 3 to 4 hours at the airport during high season or in the event of a strike.
- High prices at food concessions.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Airport staff generally are generally tolerant of overnight travellers who are trying to sleep, but many travellers report security waking them in night to check on passports and tickets.
- The airport’s seating is pretty cold and utilitarian, with armrests on most benches and chairs. The floor is also tiled with very few carpeted spots.
- T1 is often very crowded with airport sleepers, so available seating is hard to find. Upstairs in T1 is the only area that seems quieter with less overhead lighting, but it’s still hard to stretch out unless you’re prepared to sleep on the floor.
- The best spot for sleeping in T2 is Gate U. There are plenty of armrest-free chairs, room to stretch and sprawl out, and even a 24-hour restaurant! This area is bright and cold, so have a travel blanket and sleep mask handy for a good night’s rest. Please note, this option may only work if you are arriving into the terminal from another flight, as one of our reviewers found the terminal locked from the outside at night.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are private rooms in Terminal 1 and hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class travelers can buy a pass and relax in several airport lounges; showers are available in some. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Barcelona El Prat Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Barcelona El Prat airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Colomer VIP Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Barcelona - Madrid Shuttle Area. Hours: 6:30AM - 10:30PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€25.50) • Book Online (£27.00) • Priority Pass
- Joan Miro VIP Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, towards Gates D. Non-Schengen flights only. Showers are available. Hours: 6:00AM - 11:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€25.50) • Book Online (£27.00) • Priority Pass
- Pau Casals VIP Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, Airside. Schengen and Domestic flights only. Showers are available. Hours: 5:00AM - 10:30PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€25.50) • Book Online (£27.00) • Priority Pass
- Canudas VIP Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, Airside, B Gates, opposite Gates 30-39. Hours: 6:30AM - 10:30PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€25.50) • Book Online (£27.00) • Priority Pass
- Business Centre - This is a multi-purpose room run by the same company that operates the VIP Lounges listed above. They have 5 boardrooms; 5 offices measuring 25m; a fitness area with a gym, change room and showers; and rest units measuring 25-35m that include a bed, shower or full bathroom. Location: Terminal 1, Floor 1. Rates: unknown.
Unlimited free basic WiFi is available at Barcelona El Prat Airport. Connect to the "kubiwireless" network. (SSID: Airport_Free_Wifi_AENA).
Additionally, there are 26 wireless internet access points located in the restaurant area, the VIP lounge and the meeting room areas.
If sleeping in Barcelona El Prat Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels inside and near the airport:
- Air Rooms - There are 9 rooms and 1 suite available located inside Terminal 1 on the 1st floor. Rooms come equipped with double bed, private bathroom, flat screen TV, telephone, robe and slippers, and additional amenities and services. Rooms can be booked for day use (3-6 hours) between the hours 10:00AM - 6:00PM or overnight. Air Rooms Barcelona is open 27/7 all year round. Location: Terminal 1, landside area at the Business Centre, next to the Barcelona-Madrid corridor.
- TRYP Barcelona Aeropuerto - (3 min from the airport) This is the closest hotel to the airport. Free 24-hour airport shuttle bus runs between hotel, T1, and T2 all year round.
- Barcelona Airport Hotel - (5 min from the airport) Free 24-hour airport shuttle bus runs every 20 to 30 minutes between hotel and the airport, all year round.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near El Prat Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - ATMs are located throughout the landside and airside areas of Terminals 1 and 2.
- Banking - La Caixa offers full-service banking and currency exchange in the airport. Locations: T1, 1st Floor in La Plaza (Hours: 7:30AM - 10:00PM daily, year-round) • T2B, Arrivals Hall, Ground Floor (Hours: 7:30AM - 8:30PM daily, year-round).
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Chapel & Prayer Room - A Christian chapel and an interfaith chapel are available at the airport. Location: T1, landside, La Plaza, 1st Floor (both chapels are next to each other).
- Currency Exchange - Global Exchange Locations: T1, landside, Check-In Hall, 3rd Floor • T1, airside, 3rd Floor, Boarding Area D (non-Schengen) • T1, airside, 1st Floor, Sky Center (Schengen) • T1, landside, 1st Floor, Baggage Claim Hall • T2A, landside, Ground Floor, Baggage Claim Hall • T2B, landside, Ground Floor, Baggage Claim Hall • T2, airside, 1st Floor, Boarding Areas U-W.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty-free shopping is available in the boarding areas of Terminals 1 and 2. A wide variety of retail shops are available throughout the airport.
- Family Services
- Children's Play Area - Locations: Terminal 1 (P3 and P1), Terminal 2A (P1, Gate Y) and Terminal 2B (P1).
- Security Lanes for Families - If you are travelling with children, you can take advantage of the security lanes that have been designated for families. Locations: Terminal 1, Floor 3, South • Terminal 1, Floor 3, North • Terminal 2, Floor 1.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours: Caffe di Fiore (T1, landside, Arrivals, 1st Floor).
- Information Desks - Located throughout the airport terminals. Terminal 1: two landside and five airside • Terminal 2: one landside and three airside. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Enjoy a hands-free layover by storing your luggage in the Left Luggage Office. Rates are from €6 - €9 per bag or item, depending on size, for the first two hours, then €10 - €15 per bag or item per 24-hour period after that. Discounts are given for multiple bags/items stored per transaction, and for any item or bag stored for eight days or more. Locations: T1, Ground Floor (24 hour location) • T2B, landside, Check-In Hall, Ground Floor.
- Luggage Trolleys - luggage trolleys equipped with Maxi-Cosi brand child seats are available among the regular trolleys in the Check-In areas. Airside, those special trolleys must be requested at an Information Desk.
- Luggage Wrapping - SecureBag luggage wrapping service is available in the airport. Rates and hours unknown. Location: T1, landside, Check-In Hall, 3rd Floor • T2B, landside, Check-In Hall, Ground Floor.
- Mobile Phone Charging - There are 12 mobile phone charging units distributed throughout the two terminals. Each unit has 6 lockers that can hold mobile phones and mp3 players. Locations: there are two units in Terminal 1's Sky Centre, Terminal 1 - Boarding Area B, Terminal 2B - Floor 1/M3, Terminal 2C - Floor 1, M1.
- Pharmacy - Farmacia Locations: T1, landside, Departures 3rd Floor • T2, landside, Departures Ground Floor (Floor 0).
- Police & Security- Available 24 hours per day. Locations: Terminal 1, Floor 3, Ticketing • Terminal 2A, Floor 0, Arrivals Hall.
- Showers - Showers are available in the Air Rooms [ see Airport Hotels above ]. Location: Terminal 1, landside, 1st Floor. Rate: €20 for a 30-minute shower, including a toiletries kit. Breakfast is available for €6, and WiFi is also available for a fee. Showers are also available in a few of the lounges. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
- Spa & Salon Services - Express spa services are available at Heaven on Earth Spa Express. Three locations: T1, airside, Departures 1st Floor, Boarding Area C • T1, airside, Departures 3rd Floor, Boarding Area D • T2, airside, Departures 1st Floor, Boarding Area U. Body treatments, hair and nail care, facials and more are available at Wellness & Peluqueria. Express services are available. Two locations: T1, airside, Departures 2nd Floor.
- VAT Refund - All foreigners or Spanish citizens not residing in Spain or in a European Union country who are travelling to a third country are entitled to a Value Added Tax (VAT) refund on their purchases in Spain. To do this, after stamping Tax Free cheques at Customs, passengers must go to one of the banks where they can receive their VAT refund. There are A few Guardia Civil locations: Terminal 1, floor 3, Ticketing Level • Terminal 2B, Floor 0, Arrivals Level. Hours: open 24 hours.
The airport is open 24 hours.
There are a host of companies that provide rental cars and are based in Terminal 1 and 2, such as : Avis • Enterprise Atesa • Europcar • Hertz • Sixt. Location: Terminal 1, P1 near arrivals and Terminal 2B, P0 near arrivals.
Bus transportation is available from terminals 1 and 2 and connect travelers to the center of Barcelona and nearby towns, such as Catalonia and Andorra. For more details visit the Aerobus web site.
From Terminal 1 or 2, the Aerobus A1 and Aerobus A2 travels 35 minutes to the city center with strategic stops along the way. From Terminal 1 and 2, Line 46 connects to the plaza de España de Barcelona through El Prat de Llobregat and L'Hospitalet de Llobregat.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: BAH Barcelona Airport Hotel • Best Western Alfa Aeropuerto • FrontAir Congress • Hesperia Tower • Hotel Fira Congress • Salles Hotel Ciutat del Prat • Tryp Barcelona Aeropuerto.
A commuter train is also available that services areas between the airport, Barcelona and various parts of the Catalonia, such as El Prat de Llobregat, Granollers. The estimated travel time is 27 minutes to Passeig de Gràcia, with El Prat de Llobregat only 6 minutes away. The North Line R2 arrives departs every 30 minutes.
Taxi service is available opposite terminal T1, Barcelona-Madrid Corridor, and terminals T2 A and T2 B arrivals areas.
Last Updated: 03 October 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.