Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Barcelona El Prat Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
Stepping inside the terminal from steamy heat into the freezer that was El Prat gave me a helluva jolt. -Alex
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at Barcelona Airport.
What to Expect
- The airport has two terminals. T1 is brand new, modern, and very easy to navigate for both European and international destinations. T2 is divided into three sections, with only 2B and 2C currently in use primarily for low-cost carriers.
- Long, slow lines for check-in and security, and sluggish, apathetic staff during high season. Plan to spend at least 3 to 4 hours at the airport during high season or in the event of a strike.
- High prices at food concessions.
- WiFi is available. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
- Economy class travelers can buy a pass and relax in several airport lounges; showers are available in some. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
Where to Sleep
- Airport staff generally are generally tolerant of overnight travellers who are trying to sleep, but many travellers report security waking them in night to check on passports and tickets.
- The airport’s seating is pretty cold and utilitarian, with armrests on most benches and chairs. The floor is also tiled with very few carpeted spots.
- T1 is often very crowded with airport sleepers, so available seating is hard to find. Upstairs in T1 is the only area that seems quieter with less overhead lighting, but it’s still hard to stretch out unless you’re prepared to sleep on the floor.
- The best spot for sleeping in T2 is Gate U. There are plenty of armrest-free chairs, room to stretch and sprawl out, and even a 24-hour restaurant! This area is bright and cold, so have a travel blanket and sleep mask handy for a good night’s rest. Please note, this option may only work if you are arriving into the terminal from another flight, as one of our reviewers found the terminal locked from the outside at night.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are private rooms in Terminal 1 and hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Passes Sala Pau Casals – Location: Terminal 1, Airside. Schengen and Domestic flights only. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
Passes Sala Joan Miro – Location: Terminal 1, Airside, towards Gates D. Non-Schengen flights only. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
Passes Sala CIP Canudas – Closed for renovations until January 2019 – Location: Terminal 2, Airside, B Gates, opposite Gates 30-39. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes. [ more lounge info ]
Business Centre – This is a multi-purpose room run by the same company that operates the VIP Lounges listed above. They have 5 boardrooms; 5 offices measuring 25m; a fitness area with a gym, change room and showers; and rest units measuring 25-35m that include a bed, shower or full bathroom. Location: Terminal 1, Floor 1. Rates: unknown.
If sleeping in Barcelona El Prat Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels inside and near the airport:
Inside Airport Air Rooms Barcelona – There are 9 rooms and 1 suite available located inside Terminal 1 on the 1st floor. Rooms come equipped with double bed, private bathroom, flat screen TV, telephone, robe and slippers, and additional amenities and services. Rooms can be booked for day use (3-6 hours) between the hours 10:00AM – 6:00PM or overnight. Air Rooms Barcelona is open 24/7 all year round. Location: Terminal 1, landside area at the Business Centre, next to the Barcelona-Madrid corridor. » Check Rates
Near Airport TRYP Barcelona Aeropuerto – (3 minutes from the airport) This is the closest hotel to the airport. Free 24-hour airport shuttle bus runs between hotel, T1, and T2. » Check Rates
Near Airport Barcelona Airport Hotel – (5 minutes from the airport) Free 24-hour airport shuttle bus runs every 20 to 30 minutes between hotel and the airport, all year round. » Check Rates
Near Airport Salles Hotel Ciutat del Prat – (8 minutes) A free shuttle departs every 30 minutes. » Check Rates
Near Airport Best Western Hotel Alfa Aeropuerto – (10 minutes) Free shuttle service operates from 5:00AM to 12:30PM. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near El Prat Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Unlimited free basic WiFi is available at Barcelona El Prat Airport. Connect to the “kubiwireless” network. (SSID: Airport_Free_Wifi_AENA).
Additionally, there are 26 wireless internet access points located in the restaurant area, the VIP lounge and the meeting room areas.
- Post Office – Have postcards to send to your friends and family? Post boxes are available in both terminals. Locations: T1, Floor 3 • T2B, Floor 0.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Children’s Play Area – Locations: Terminal 1 (P3 and P1), Terminal 2A (P1, Gate Y) and Terminal 2B (P1).
- Security Lanes for Families – If you are travelling with children, you can take advantage of the security lanes that have been designated for families. Locations: Terminal 1, Floor 3, South • Terminal 1, Floor 3, North • Terminal 2, Floor 1.
- Strollers – Luggage trolleys equipped with child seats are available. See Luggage section below.
Food & Drinks
- Drinking Water – A reader (September 2018) tells us that after scouring Terminal 2 for a water fountain, the only one to be found was Airside, near the Camden Food Co. (Gate U35).
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours:
- Terminal 1, Landside: Caffe di Fiore (Arrivals, 1st Floor) • La Tramoia (Arrivals, 1st Floor) • Lizarran (Arrivals,1st Floor).
- Terminal 1, Airside: Caffe di Fiore (Boarding Area C, 1st Floor) • Coffee Republic (Shopping Center, 1st Floor) • Santamaria (Shopping Center, 1st Floor).
- Terminal 2, Landside: Caffe di Fiore (Arrivals, Floor 0) • Pans & Company (Departure Area, 2nd Floor).
- Information Desks – Located throughout the airport terminals. Terminal 1: two landside and five airside • Terminal 2: one landside and three airside. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Enjoy a hands-free layover by storing your luggage in the Left Luggage Office. Rates are from €6 – €9 per bag or item, depending on size, for the first two hours, then €10 – €15 per bag or item per 24-hour period after that. Discounts are given for multiple bags/items stored per transaction, and for any item or bag stored for eight days or more. Locations: T1, Ground Floor (24 hour location) • T2B, landside, Check-In Hall, Ground Floor. (Hours: 6:00AM – 10:00PM).
- Luggage Trolleys – luggage trolleys equipped with Maxi-Cosi brand child seats are available among the regular trolleys in the Check-In areas. Airside, those special trolleys must be requested at an Information Desk.
- Luggage Wrapping – SecureBag luggage wrapping service is available in the airport. Rates and hours unknown. Location: T1, landside, Check-In Hall, 3rd Floor • T2B, landside, Check-In Hall, Ground Floor.
- Pharmacy – Farmacia Locations: T1, landside, Departures 3rd Floor. Hours: 6:00AM – 9:30PM • T2, landside, Departures Ground Floor (Floor 0). Hours: 9:00AM – 8:30PM.
- Mobile Phone Charging – There are 12 mobile phone charging units distributed throughout the two terminals. Each unit has 6 lockers that can hold mobile phones and mp3 players. Locations: there are two units in Terminal 1’s Sky Centre, Terminal 1 – Boarding Area B, Terminal 2B – Floor 1/M3, Terminal 2C – Floor 1, M1.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Landside and Airside areas of Terminals 1 and 2.
- Banking Services – CaixaBank offers full-service banking and currency exchange in the airport. Locations: T1, 1st Floor in La Plaza (Hours: 7:30AM – 10:00PM daily, year-round) • T2B, Arrivals Hall, Ground Floor (Hours: 7:30AM – 8:30PM daily, year-round).
- Currency Exchange – Global Exchange Locations: T1, landside, Check-In Hall, 3rd Floor • T1, airside, 3rd Floor, Boarding Area D (non-Schengen) • T1, airside, 1st Floor, Sky Center (Schengen) • T1, landside, 1st Floor, Baggage Claim Hall • T2A, landside, Floor 0, Arrivals Hall • T2A, landside, Ground Floor, Baggage Claim Hall • T2B, landside, Ground Floor, Baggage Claim Hall • T2, airside, 1st Floor, Boarding Areas U-W.
- Chapel & Prayer Room – A Christian chapel and an interfaith chapel are available at the airport. Location: T1, landside, La Plaza, 1st Floor (both chapels are next to each other). Hours: 6:00A; – 10:30PM.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – Not available.
- Police & Security– Available 24 hours per day. Locations: Terminal 1, Floor 3, Ticketing • Terminal 2A, Floor 0, Arrivals Hall.
- Duty Free & Shopping – Duty-free shopping is available in the boarding areas of Terminals 1 and 2. A wide variety of retail shops are available throughout the airport.
- VAT Refund – All foreigners or Spanish citizens not residing in Spain or in a European Union country who are travelling to a third country are entitled to a Value Added Tax (VAT) refund on their purchases in Spain. To do this, after stamping Tax Free cheques at Customs, passengers must go to one of the banks where they can receive their VAT refund. There are A few Guardia Civil locations: Terminal 1, floor 3, Ticketing Level • Terminal 2B, Floor 0, Arrivals Level. Hours: open 24 hours.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Showers – Showers are available in the Air Rooms [ see Airport Hotels above ]. Location: Terminal 1, landside, 1st Floor. Rate: €20 for a 30-minute shower, including a toiletries kit. Breakfast is available for €6, and WiFi is also available for a fee. Showers are also available in a few of the lounges. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
- Spa & Salon Services – Express spa services are available at Heaven on Earth Spa Express. Three locations: T1, airside, Departures 1st Floor, Boarding Area C • T1, airside, Departures 3rd Floor, Boarding Area D • T2, airside, Departures 1st Floor, Boarding Area U. Body treatments, hair and nail care, facials and other express beauty services are available at Wellness & Peluqueria. Location: T1, airside, Departures 2nd Floor (One location each in Schengen and Non-Schengen areas).
The airport is open 24 hours.
As of November 2018, Barcelona El Prat airport is served by the following airlines: Aegean Airlines • Aer Lingus • Aeroflot • Aerolíneas Argentinas • Air Algerie • Air Arabia Maroc • Air Baltic • Air Canada • Air China • Air Europa • Air France • Air Moldova • Air Nostrum • Air Transat • Alitalia • American Airlines • Arkia Israeli Airlines • Asiana Airlines • Avianca • Azur Air • BA Cityflyer • Belavia • Blue Air • British Airways • Brussels Airlines • Bulgaria Air • Cathay Pacific • Croatia Airlines • Czech Airlines • Delta Air Lines • easyJet • EgyptAir • El Al Israel Airlines • Emirates • Etihad Airlines • Eurowings • Evelop • Finnair • Georgian Airways • Germania • Iberia • Jet2 • Joon • KLM • Korean Air • LATAM • Laudamotion • LEVEL • LOT • Lufthansa • Luxair • Mahan Air • Norwegian • Pakestan Airlines • Pegasus Airlines • Qatar Airways • Rossiya Airlines • Royal Air Maroc • Royal Flight • Royal Jordanian • Ryanair • SAS • Singapore Airlines • SmartWings • Swiss • S7 Airlines • TAP Portugal • Tarom • Transavia • Travel Service • TUIFly • Tunisair • Turkish Airlines • Ukraine International Airlines • United Airlines • Ural Airlines • Vueling • Wizz Air • WOW Air.
The following car rental companies have offices onsite in both Terminals: Avis/Budget • Enterprise • Europcar • Goldcar • Hertz • Sixt.
Bus transportation is available from terminals 1 and 2 and connect travelers to the center of Barcelona and nearby towns, such as Catalonia and Andorra. For more details visit the Aerobus web site.
From Terminal 1 or 2, the Aerobus A1 and Aerobus A2 travels 35 minutes to the city center with strategic stops along the way. From Terminal 1 and 2, Line 46 connects to the plaza de España de Barcelona through El Prat de Llobregat and L’Hospitalet de Llobregat.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Barcelona Airport Hotel • Best Western Alfa Aeropuerto • FrontAir Congress • Barcelona Tower • Hotel Fira Congress • Salles Hotel Ciutat del Prat • Tryp Barcelona Aeropuerto.
L9 Sud metro line connects the airport (with stops at both terminals) to Zona Universitària, stopping at Fira, Parc Logístic and Mercabarna.
A commuter train is also available that services areas between the airport, Barcelona and various parts of the Catalonia, such as El Prat de Llobregat, Granollers. The estimated travel time is 27 minutes to Passeig de Gràcia, with El Prat de Llobregat only 6 minutes away. The North Line R2 arrives departs every 30 minutes.
Taxi service is available opposite terminal T1, Barcelona-Madrid Corridor, and terminals T2 A and T2 B arrivals areas.
Last updated: 2018-11-13
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide, write a review or send an email to [email protected] and we will update this guide.