Brussels Zaventem Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Brussels Zaventem Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I wanted to tell them "shush" but no need: an airport agent (was he a cleaner maybe?) approached them and told them to keep it down (!!!) showing the people around that were asleep. -Eleni
To help you plan your layover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at Brussels Zaventem Airport.
What to Expect
- This is the main international airport of Brussels. Due to the damage and renovations from bombings in March 2016, this information may change rapidly.
- Recent travellers report added security, and some military presence.
- The airport may require travellers process through security outside due to rebuilding, as was reported by a traveller in May 2016.
- This is a modern airport with one terminal. Within the terminal Pier A houses regional flights. Pier B is for non-Schengen Area flights only.
- Airport staff and security generally don’t mind overnight travellers.
- Limited dining options and little to no vacant seating in Pier B.
- A Starbucks in the Departures Hall is open 24-hours.
- WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Airside has plenty of benches for stretching out. Look for large couches that up to 3 or 4 people can sleep.
- Airside in the Schengen Zone has plenty of benches and mobile charging points. There is a comfortable couch in the duty-free area near Tin Tin Rocket and the B zone transfer area. The terminal is usually quiet at night, but have earplugs handy to block out noises from any late arrivals.
- There aren’t too many late night departures, so it can be pretty quiet.
- For uninterrupted sleep, a few hotels are located at or near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class travelers can buy a pass and relax in several airport lounges; showers are available in one. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Brussels Zaventem Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Brussels Zaventem airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Diamond Lounge - Location: Terminal A, Airside, 2nd Floor, Schengen Flights. Hours: 5:00AM - 9:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€27.00) • Book Online (US$ 31 - day pass)
- Brussels Airlines Lounge - Location: Terminal A, Airside, near Gate A42. Lounge Access: b flex economy+ passengers on European routes with payment of € 25 at the airport.
- Diamond Lounge - Location: Terminal B, Airside. Showers are available. Hours: 5:00AM - 10:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€27.00) • Book Online (£22.00)
- Brussels Airlines Lounge - Location: Terminal B, Airside, near Gate B01. Lounge Access: b flex economy+ passengers on European routes with payment of € 25 at the Airport.
Unlimited free WiFi is available at the airport. You must provide your information or use your Facebook or Google+ account to access the network. Telenet, Boingo and iPass can use their log-ins. Brussels Airport information can be accessed online without registering.
Computers with internet access are available for a fee at rent 2connect telecommunications store. Location: Main Terminal, airside Hours: 8:00AM - 8:00PM (closed at 2:00PM on Sat,Sun). Computers with internet access are also available at any of the five Telenet communications centers in the airport. Locations: Pier A (near Gates A55-A57) • Pier B (near Gates B25-B27) • Topaz (1st Floor) • Zone T (near Gates A/T68 and A/T70)
If sleeping in Brussels Zaventem Airports does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport that offer shuttle service:
- Sheraton Hotel - Located opposite the airport terminal, this is the only hotel on airport premises. Their website says it is 39 steps from the terminal. Day rooms are available (8:00AM - 6:00PM). Free airport shuttle runs every 15 minutes from 8:00AM to 8:45PM (must be pre-booked).
- Novotel Brussels Airport - (5 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle operates 24/7.
- Ibis Budget Brussels Airport - (8 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle runs from 4:00AM to 10:00AM and 5:00PM to 10:00PM (4:00PM to 9:00PM on weekends). Reservations are required.
- Crowne Plaza - (5 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle runs every 20 mins between 6:00AM - 10:50PM (weekdays) and from 6:00AM - 9:40AM and 6:00PM - 9:40PM (weekends). Outside these hours you will need to pay for a taxi. Shuttle departs from the central bus station which is located on Level 0, Departure Bay E.
- Van der Valk Brussels Airport- (5 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle is available.
- Hotel NH Brussels Airport - (5 minutes from the airport) Airport shuttle is available.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Zaventem Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Belfius ATMs dispense Euro in these locations: Departures Hall • Arrivals Hall • Piers A and B • Baggage Reclaim Travelex foreign currency ATMs dispense GBP and USD in these locations: Departures Hall • Gate T • Piers A and B
- Baby Care - Baby change facilities are located in restrooms throughout the airport. Several of the restaurants will warm up baby food upon request.
- Baggage Trolleys - Available free of charge.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Children’s Play Area - Locations: Gate A/T68 • near Gate B40.
- Currency Exchange - Travelex offers currency exchange, international money transfers, traveller's cheques and tax refund service. Location: Arrivals Hall, Baggage Reclaim Area (Hours: 6:00AM - 10:00PM) • Departures Hall (Hours: 6:00AM - 9:00PM).
- Drinking Water - Thirsty? If you’re running low on cash and need something to drink airside, drinking water fountains are available throughout Piers A and B on the Departures Level.
- Duty Free & Shopping - IDF Duty-Free is available in the Pier A shopping area. Hours: 4:30AM - 9:00PM (closed at 8:00PM on Sat). A wide variety of retail shops are also available.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours: Hi! Brussels (Arrivals Hall)
- Hairdresser - Mens’ and Ladies’ Hairdresser. Location: Not available. Hours: Monday to Friday 9:00AM – 7:00PM
- Health Services - MEDA provides urgent medical care at Brussels Airport. Location: Terminal Ground Level 0. Hours: 24 hours a day.
- Information Desk - Lost or need some airport information? There is an Information desk in the Arrivals Hall. Hours: 6:00AM - 9:00PM (Daily).
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - For hands-free time in the airport, small short-term storage lockers are available airside at € 1 for 30 min., € 2 for 1 hour, € 3 for 2 hours and € 5 for 24 hours. Locations: the shopping areas of Pier A, Ground Floor and 1st Floor. If you have larger luggage or need to store it for a longer period of time, coin-operated lockers are available landside at € 7.50 per 24 hours. After 72 hours, your luggage will be moved to a storage room, where you will have to retrieve it from an attendant after paying the balance due. Oversized luggage must be stored in the storage room, by calling an attendant on the interphone near the lockers. Location: Level 0, on the left against the facade, accessible by leaving the terminal through the bus station exit.
- Luggage Wrapping - SecureBag service is available for rates from € 10 - € 20 per bag, depending on the size. Location: Departures Level, opposite the escalator Hours: 4:30AM - 10:00PM
- Medical Services - MEDA provides urgent medical assistance to travellers at the airport. Location: Ground Level, Level 0, at the exit towards the bus station. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Pharmacy - Location: Departures Hall Hours: 7:00AM - 7:00PM.
- Post Office - PostPunt / Point Poste Location: Arrivals Floor, in the louis delhaize Supermarket Hours: 8:00AM - 8:00PM (closed on Sunday).
- Prayer rooms - The airport offers a Muslim prayer room, Jewish prayer room, Catholic prayer room, Orthodox room, Protestant worship room, and a "Meditation space for freethinkers". Locations: Pier A, Airside, near Gate 42 • Pier B, Mezzanine Level, Duty Free Shopping Area.
- Showers - Showers are available in the Diamond Lounge. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
- Smoking - There are two smoking rooms located airside: Pier B, near gate 17 • Pier A, near gate 63
The airport is open 24 hours.
Buses stop at one of the three platforms inside the airport bus station, located on Level 0, just below the Arrivals Hall.
De Lijn buses provide service between the airport, the city and the surrounding region. Destinations include Brussels North train station (lines 272 and 471), NATO (lines 272, 471 and 620) and Brussels underground station “Roodebeek” (lines 359 and 659), as well as regional service to Mechelen (lines 681, 682 and 683), Leuven (616, 651 & 652), Vilvoorde (282, 621, 683,820 & 821), Merchtem (821), Jette (820), Brussels Expo (820), Diegem (272, 282, 620 & 621), Haacht (660), Roodebeek (359) and en Groenendaal (830). Several lines also stop at Brucargo. De Lijn buses use Platforms A or B. For route maps, schedules and fare information, visit the De Lijn website.
The Airport Line offers service between the airport and the European quarter. On weekdays until 8:00PM, the line operates as express service Bus 12, which makes limited stops and takes about 30 minutes to complete service in one direction. After 8:00PM on weekdays, all weekend long and on public holidays, the line operates as Bus 21, offering regular bus service to all stops enroute. Airport Line buses use Platform C. Discounted tickets are available for sale from GO ticket vending machines, or at full price from the bus driver. For route maps, schedules and additional fare information, visit the STIB website.
Airport Express buses run between the airport and the area of Koningin Astridplein near Central Station and Ibis Styles Antwerpen City Center. Buses also stop at Crowne Plaza Antwerp, upon request only. Reservations are not required, and tickets are sold on the bus. Fare is € 10 for an adult one-way ticket, payable in cash only (both Euro and USD accepted). For schedule and additional route and fare information, visit the Airport Express website.
The following car rental agencies are located onsite in the Arrivals Hall: Avis/Budget, Enterprise, Europcar, Hertz, Sixt and Thrifty.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Crowne Plaza Hotel Brussels Airport • Golden Tulip Brussels Airport • Gresham Belson Hotel • Holiday Inn Brussels Airport • Ibis Brussels Airport • Ibis Budget Brussels Airport • Mercure Brussels Airport • NH Brussels Airport • Novotel Brussels Airport • Pentahotel Brussels Airport • Thon Hotel Brussels Airport.
Metered taxis are available outside of the Arrivals Hall on a 24-hour basis. Reservations are not required. For safety reasons, use only licensed taxis with the blue and yellow emblem, and do not accept unsolicited offers for a ride from illegal taxis. At the time of this update, the estimated one-way fare between the airport and the city is € 45.
For service to or from North of France for a party of 3 - 8 passengers, contact TOC-TOC airport taxi service.
Brussels Airport has a train station below the airport in Basement Level 1. You will need to have your train ticket in hand to enter the station’s automated entry gates.
Bruxelles-Aéroport station is served by both national and international trains. Six hourly departures connect the airport to all corners of Belgium and everything in between, including Brussels Midi station. At Brussels Midi, connections are available to Thalys trains traveling to/from Paris and Cologne, and Eurostar trains traveling to Lille (France) or London. For train routes, schedules, fares and ticket information, visit the Belgian Rail website.
Direct international travel is possible with 16 daily departures from the airport to Amsterdam, via Dordrecht, Rotterdam and The Hague. A seasonal, nonstop Thalys high-speed train from Paris arrives into the airport train station at 8:25AM, and departs at 10:04AM to return to Paris. For train routes, schedules, fares and ticket information, go to the SNCB Europe website.
Last Updated: 15 March 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.