Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Brussels Zaventem Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
I wanted to tell them “shush” but no need: an airport agent (was he a cleaner maybe?) approached them and told them to keep it down (!!!) showing the people around that were asleep. -Eleni
BRU Airport Overview
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Brussels Zaventem Airport (Code: BRU).
What to Expect
Brussels Airport consists of a main terminal with three levels and two piers. Pier A serves flights to and from European Union countries (Schengen), Africa and New York, while Pier B serves most others (non-Schengen). The two piers are connected by an above-ground connector building allowing smooth passage between the piers and to and from check-in and baggage. Both piers contain some shopping and dining options, though Pier B’s are considered limited, and few shops or restaurants stay open past 9:00PM. A Starbucks in the Departures Hall is open 24-hours. The airport provides free WiFi, and has plenty of charging areas. There are lounges in the airport that can be accessed for a fee by economy class passengers. See Airport Lounges in the guide below for locations and rates.
Sleeping in Brussels Airport
Travellers report that Pier A offers the better option for sleeping, with plenty of benches and some large couches that can sleep up to three or four people. Airside in the Schengen Zone has plenty of benches and mobile charging points. There is a comfortable couch in the duty-free area near Tin Tin Rocket and the B zone transfer area. Airport staff and security are generally accommodating to overnight sleepers, and the airport stays quiet at night with the exception of an occasional late arriving flight. Travellers with air mattresses may want to check out the fourth floor level, which is noted for its isolation and quiet. For uninterrupted sleep, there are several hotels located at and near the airport. See the Airport Hotels section below for more info or read some traveller reviews for more tips.
Due to the current Covid-19 pandemic, all services and times listed below are subject to change. Some services and facilities may remain closed or operate with reduced hours. Airport tips and suggestions in this guide and elsewhere on the site were written before March 2020 and may no longer be valid. If you are planning to sleep in the public area of the terminal overnight, have a back-up plan! We’ve heard from a few travellers at other airports and they were not permitted to stay overnight. We’re not sure if that will apply to this airport, until a reader lets us know the current situation. If you have some time to spare please write a review, send a tip or share photos to help future travellers.
For more airport information continue scrolling down to explore more in our Brussels Zaventem Airport Guide.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If sleeping in the airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near Brussels airport that offer shuttle service:
- Sheraton Hotel Brussels Airport – Located opposite the airport terminal, this is the only hotel on airport premises. Their website says it is 39 steps from the terminal. Day rooms are available (8:00AM – 6:00PM). » Check Rates
- Novotel Brussels Airport – (5 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle operates on a schedule. » Check Rates
- Ibis Budget Brussels Airport – (8 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle is available. Reservations are required. » Check Rates
- Crowne Plaza Brussels Airport – (5 minutes from the airport) A free airport shuttle is available from 6:00AM – 11:00PM. Shuttle departs from the central bus station which is located on Level 0, Departure Bay E. » Check Rates
- Van der Valk Brussels Airport – (5 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle is available. » Check Rates
- NH Brussels Airport – (5 minutes from the airport) Airport shuttle is available. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Brussels Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Diamond Lounge (Terminal A) – Location: Terminal A, Airside, 2nd Floor, Schengen Flights. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Lounge membership programs.
Passes Diamond Lounge (Terminal B) – Location: Terminal B, Airside. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
If you are flying on Brussels Airlines, you can pay to use these lounges:
Brussels Airlines The Suite – Location: Terminal B, Airside, near Gate B01. Lounge Access: b flex economy+ passengers on European routes with payment of € 29 at the Airport.
Brussels Airlines The Loft – Location: Terminal A, Airside, near Gate A42. Lounge Access: b flex economy+ passengers on European routes with payment of € 29 at the airport.
Elite Status and Business/First Class flyers may be able to access these lounges. For more information, check the airline’s website.
Brussels Airlines Sunrise Lounge – Terminal A, Airside • British Airways Lounge – Pier B.
Unlimited free WiFi is available at the airport. Connect to the “Brussels Airport free Wi-Fi” network. Use your social network login or enter your e-mail address to start surfing.
- Post Office – PostPunt / Point Poste Location: Arrivals Floor, in the louis delhaize Supermarket Hours: 8:00AM – 8:00PM (closed on Sunday). You can also drop off your last minute postcards at the airport’s mailboxes. Locations: several can be found Landside • Airside, Pier A • Airside, Pier B.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – If you are travelling with an infant, baby change facilities are located in restrooms throughout the airport. Additionally, at the Kids Corner (Concourse A), there are changing facilities, a quiet environment to breastfeed and a microwave to warm bottles/baby food. Several of the restaurants will also warm up baby food upon request.
- Children’s Play Area – When you want to ensure your kids burn off all their energy before their flight, take them to one of the children’s play areas. Locations: Airside, Gate A57 • Airside, near Gate B40. Furthermore, the airport has several “Airport Games” stations around the airport that provide passengers with interactive video games to help pass the time! Locations: Airside, Gate A33 • Gate A47 • A60 • B29.
Food & Drinks
- Drinking Water – Thirsty? Drinking water fountains are available free of charge. Locations: throughout Piers A (6) and B (3) on the Departures Level. The airport also sells bottles of water for a €1.00 donation to support charities. The stands can be found once you pass through security.
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules with some open as early as 3:30AM. Starbucks (Departures Hall, landside) is open 24 hours.
- Information Desk – Lost or need some airport information? There is an Information desk in the Arrivals Hall. Hours: 6:00AM – 10:00PM (Mon – Fri) and 6:00AM – 9:00PM (Sat & Sun). Airport Ambassadors (Airport Crew) can be found roaming the airport, look for their green shirts with “May I help you?” on them.
- Luggage Trolleys – Need a hand with your luggage? Baggage trolleys are available free of charge.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers -If you want to spare yourself from carrying around your luggage on a layover or just want to store your bags, luggage lockers are available. Location: Landside, Ground Floor, outside the airport. Rates: € 10 / bag / 24 hours (payment by card only), an additional charge may apply for oversized baggage. After storing 3 pieces of luggage, any subsequently stored bag will incur an additional charge of € 2.50. Note: bags may be stored for an unlimited amount of time in the lockers.
- Luggage Wrapping – Protect your bags from theft and damage by having your bags wrapped in plastic. TrueStar offers services with rates from € 10 – € 20 per bag, depending on the size. Location: Departures Level, opposite the escalator Hours: 4:30AM – 10:00PM.
- Medical Services – MEDA provides urgent medical assistance to travellers at the airport. Location: Ground Level, Level 0, at the exit towards the bus station. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Pharmacy – Location: Departures Hall. Hours: 7:00AM – 2:00PM.
- Mobile Charging – A reader tells us “Mobile Charging is now available in the waiting area by the ticket counters check-in 11-14, Departures, (obviously) Floor 3, Landside. ” (August 2019)
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs, operated by Belfius and Travelex, are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Departures Hall • Arrivals Hall • Piers A and B • Baggage Reclaim. Foreign currency ATMs dispense GBP and USD in these locations: Departures Hall • Gate T • Piers A and B.
- Currency Exchange – Travelex offers currency exchange, international money transfers, traveller’s cheques and tax refund service. Location: Arrivals Hall, Baggage Reclaim Area (Hours: 5:45AM – 10:00PM) • Departures Hall (Hours: 5:45AM – 9:00PM).
- Prayer rooms – The airport offers a Muslim prayer room, Jewish prayer room, Catholic prayer room, Orthodox room, Protestant worship room, and a “Meditation space for freethinkers”. Locations: Pier A, Airside, near Gate 42 • Pier B, Mezzanine Level, Duty Free Shopping Area.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – There are no dedicated sleeping areas, quiet areas or rest zones. If this information has changed, click here to update this guide.
- Duty Free & Shopping – IDF Duty-Free is available: Pier A shopping area. Hours: 4:30AM – 9:00PM (closed at 8:00PM on Sat) • Pier B shopping area. Hours: 4:00AM – 11:30PM. A wide variety of retail shops are also available. There is a small supermarket located Landside which may come in handy for drinks and snacks: Louis Delhaize. Hours: 6:00AM – 10:00PM.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Showers – Freshen up before your flight. Showers are available in the Regus Brussels Airport Terminal Meeting Centre. Locaton: Landside 4th Floor, above the Departure Hall. Hours: 9:00AM – 5:00PM. Showers are also available in the Diamond Lounge in Terminal B. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
- Smoking – There are two smoking rooms located airside: Pier B, near gate 17 • Pier A, near gate 30.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Brussels Zaventem airport is served by the following airlines: Aegean Airlines • Aer Lingus • Aeroflot • Air Algerie • Air Arabia • Air Baltic • Air Canada • Air Europa • Air France • Air Malta • Air Moldova • Air Serbia • Air Transat • Alitalia • ANA • Austrian Airlines • Blue Air • British Airways • Brussels Airlines • Bulgaria Air • Cathay Pacific • Corendon Airlines • Czech Airlines • Croatia Airlines • Delta • easyJet • Egyptair • El Al Israel Airlines • Emirates • Ethiopian Airlines • Etihad Airways • Eurowings • Finnair • FlyEgypt • Freebird • Georgian Airways • Hainan Airlines • HOP! • Iberia • Icelandair • KLM • LOT • Lufthansa • Middle East Airlines • Pegasus • Qatar Airways • Qeshm Air • Royal Air Maroc • Rwandair • Ryanair • SAS • SunExpress • Swiss • Tailwind • TAP Portugal • Tarom • Thai Airways • TUIFly • Tunisair • Turkish Airlines • Ukraine International Airlines • United Airlines • Vueling.
Buses stop at one of the three platforms inside the airport bus station, located on Level 0, just below the Arrivals Hall.
The airport is well connected to the bus system offering at least 6 bus lines to Brussels and approximately 12 lines serving the regional areas. For fares and route information, visit the Brussels Zaventem airport website.
The following car rental agencies are located onsite in the Arrivals Hall: Avis • Enterprise • Europcar • Hertz • Sixt.
Several hotels near Brussels airport provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. Hotel shuttles arrive and depart from level 0. Here are a few airport hotels offering shuttle service: Courtyard by Marriott Brussels Hotel • Crowne Plaza Hotel Brussels Airport • Gresham Belson Hotel • Holiday Inn Brussels Airport • Ibis Brussels Airport • Ibis Budget Brussels Airport • Mercure Brussels Airport • NH Brussels Airport • Novotel Brussels Airport • Park Inn by Radisson Brussels Airport • Pentahotel Brussels Airport • Thon Hotel Brussels Airport • Van der Valk Hotel Brussels Airport
See also Airport Hotels above.
Metered taxis are available outside the Arrivals Hall 24-hours a day. Reservations are not required. For safety reasons, use only licensed taxis with the blue and yellow emblem, and do not accept unsolicited offers for a ride from illegal taxis. At the time of this update, the estimated one-way fare between the airport and the city is € 45.
For service to or from North of France for a party of 3 – 8 passengers, contact TOC-TOC airport taxi service.
BRU Airport has a train station below the airport in Basement Level 1. You will need to have your train ticket in hand to enter the station’s automated entry gates.
National trains conveniently travel from Brussels Airport to the major cities in Belgium. Some examples include: Brussel Central, 17 mins; Antwerp, 30 mins; Charleroi, 83 mins. For train routes, schedules, fares and ticket information, visit the Belgian Rail website.
Direct international travel is possible with 16 daily departures from the airport to Amsterdam, via Dordrecht, Rotterdam and The Hague. For train routes, schedules, fares and ticket information, go to the SNCB Europe website.
Last updated: 2020-10-19
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.