Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Brussels Zaventem Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
I wanted to tell them “shush” but no need: an airport agent (was he a cleaner maybe?) approached them and told them to keep it down (!!!) showing the people around that were asleep. -Eleni
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us about their time spent at Brussels Zaventem Airport.
What to Expect
Brussels Zaventem Airport consists of a main terminal with three levels and two piers. Pier A serves flights to and from European Union countries (Schengen), Africa and New York, while Pier B serves most others (non-Schengen). The two piers are connected by an above-ground connector building allowing smooth passage between the piers and to and from check-in and baggage. Both piers contain some shopping and dining options, though Pier B’s are considered limited, and few shops or restaurants stay open past 9:00PM. A Starbucks in the Departures Hall is open 24-hours. The airport provides free WiFi, and has plenty of charging areas. There are lounges in the airport that can be accessed for a fee by economy class passengers. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
Where to Sleep
Travellers report that Pier A offers the better option for sleeping, with plenty of benches and some large couches that can sleep up to three or four people. Airside in the Schengen Zone has plenty of benches and mobile charging points. There is a comfortable couch in the duty-free area near Tin Tin Rocket and the B zone transfer area. Airport staff and security are generally accommodating to overnight sleepers, and the airport stays quiet at night with the exception of an occasional late arriving flight. Travellers with air mattresses may want to check out the fourth floor level, which is noted for its isolation and quiet. For uninterrupted sleep, there are several hotels located at and near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Passes Diamond Lounge (Terminal A) – Location: Terminal A, Airside, 2nd Floor, Schengen Flights. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
If you are flying on Brussels Airlines, you can pay to use these lounges:
Brussels Airlines The Suite – Location: Terminal B, Airside, near Gate B01. Lounge Access: b flex economy+ passengers on European routes with payment of € 25 at the Airport.
Brussels Airlines The Loft – Location: Terminal A, Airside, near Gate A42. Lounge Access: b flex economy+ passengers on European routes with payment of € 25 at the airport.
Elite Status and Business/First Class flyers may be able to access these lounges. For more information, check the airline’s website.
Brussels Airlines Sunrise Lounge – Terminal A, Airside • British Airways Lounge – Pier B.
If sleeping in Brussels Zaventem Airports does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport that offer shuttle service:
- Sheraton Hotel Brussels Airport – Located opposite the airport terminal, this is the only hotel on airport premises. Their website says it is 39 steps from the terminal. Day rooms are available (8:00AM – 6:00PM). Free airport shuttle runs every 15 minutes from 8:00AM to 8:45PM (must be pre-booked). » Check Rates
- Novotel Brussels Airport – (5 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle operates 24/7. » Check Rates
- Ibis Budget Brussels Airport – (8 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle runs from 4:00AM to 10:00AM and 5:00PM to 10:00PM (4:00PM to 9:00PM on weekends). Reservations are required. » Check Rates
- Crowne Plaza Brussels Airport – (5 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle runs every 20 mins between 6:00AM – 10:50PM (weekdays) and from 6:00AM – 9:40AM and 6:00PM – 9:40PM (weekends). Outside these hours you will need to pay for a taxi. Shuttle departs from the central bus station which is located on Level 0, Departure Bay E. » Check Rates
- Van der Valk Brussels Airport– (5 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle is available. » Check Rates
- Hotel NH Brussels Airport – (5 minutes from the airport) Airport shuttle is available. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Zaventem Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Unlimited free WiFi is available at the airport. Connect to the “Brussels Airport free Wi-Fi” network. Use your social network login or enter your e-mail address to start surfing.
Computers with internet access are available for a fee at rent 2connect telecommunications store. Location: Main Terminal, airside Hours: 8:00AM – 8:00PM (closed at 2:00PM on Sat,Sun). Computers with internet access are also available at any of the five Telenet communications centers in the airport. Locations: Pier A (near Gates A55-A57) • Pier B (near Gates B25-B27) • Topaz (1st Floor) • Zone T (near Gates A/T68 and A/T70).
- Post Office – PostPunt / Point Poste Location: Arrivals Floor, in the louis delhaize Supermarket Hours: 8:00AM – 8:00PM (closed on Sunday). You can also drop off your last minute postcards at the airport’s mailboxes. Locations: several can be found Landside • Airside, Pier A • Airside, Pier B.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – Baby change facilities are located in restrooms throughout the airport. Several of the restaurants will warm up baby food upon request.
- Children’s Play Area – When you want to ensure your kids burn off all their energy before their flight, take them to one of the children’s play areas. Locations: Airside, Gate A/T68 • Airside, near Gate B40.
Food & Drinks
- Drinking Water – Thirsty? Drinking water fountains are available free of charge. Locations: throughout Piers A (6) and B (3) on the Departures Level. The airport also sells bottles of water for a €1.00 donation to support charities. The stands can be found once you pass through security.
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules with some open as early as 3:30AM. This option is open 24 hours: Starbucks (Arrivals Hall).
- Information Desk – Lost or need some airport information? There is an Information desk in the Arrivals Hall. Hours: 6:00AM – 10:00PM (Mon – Fri) and 6:00AM – 9:00PM (Sat & Sun). Airport Ambassadors (Airport Crew) can be found roaming the airport, look for their green shirts with “May I help you?” on them.
- Luggage Trolleys – Need a hand with your luggage? Baggage trolleys are available free of charge.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – A variety of options exist for luggage storage:
- Transit area short-term storage lockers. Location: in the shopping area of Pier A, ground floor and 1st floor. Rates: € 1 for 30 min., € 2 for 1 hour, € 3 for 2 hours and € 5 for 24 hours.
- Landside short-term storage lockers. Location: Level 0, near the exit to the bus station. Rates: € 10.00 per 24 hours.
- Oversized baggage storage. Location: Level 0. Use the interphone which is available beside the Landside short-term storage lockers and someone will assist you. Rates: € 10.00 for 24 hours for 3 pieces of luggage, every extra piece is charged at € 2.50.
- Luggage Wrapping – TrueStar offers services with rates from € 10 – € 20 per bag, depending on the size. Location: Departures Level, opposite the escalator Hours: 4:30AM – 10:00PM.
- Medical Services – MEDA provides urgent medical assistance to travellers at the airport. Location: Ground Level, Level 0, at the exit towards the bus station. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Pharmacy – Location: Departures Hall Hours: 7:00AM – 7:00PM.
- Mobile Charging – At the time of this update, we did not have any information about mobile charging availability. If you know, click here to update this airport guide.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs, operated by Belfius and Travelex, are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Departures Hall • Arrivals Hall • Piers A and B • Baggage Reclaim. Foreign currency ATMs dispense GBP and USD in these locations: Departures Hall • Gate T • Piers A and B.
- Currency Exchange – Travelex offers currency exchange, international money transfers, traveller’s cheques and tax refund service. Location: Arrivals Hall, Baggage Reclaim Area (Hours: 6:00AM – 10:00PM) • Departures Hall (Hours: 6:00AM – 9:00PM).
- Prayer rooms – The airport offers a Muslim prayer room, Jewish prayer room, Catholic prayer room, Orthodox room, Protestant worship room, and a “Meditation space for freethinkers”. Locations: Pier A, Airside, near Gate 42 • Pier B, Mezzanine Level, Duty Free Shopping Area.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – Not available.
- Duty Free & Shopping – IDF Duty-Free is available: Pier A shopping area. Hours: 4:30AM – 9:00PM (closed at 8:00PM on Sat) • Pier B shopping area. Hours: 4:00AM – 11:30PM. A wide variety of retail shops are also available. There is a small supermarket located Landside which may come in handy for drinks and snacks: Louis Delhaize. Hours: 6:00AM – 10:00PM.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Hair Salon – Mens’ and Ladies’ Hairdresser. Location: Not available. Hours: Monday to Friday 9:00AM – 7:00PM
- Showers – Freshen up before your flight. Showers are available in the Diamond Lounge. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
- Smoking – There are two smoking rooms located airside: Pier B, near gate 17 • Pier A, near gate 63.
The airport is open 24 hours.
As of April 2019, Brussels Zaventem airport is served by the following airlines: Adria Airways • Aegean Airlines • Aer Lingus • Aeroflot • Air Algerie • Air Arabia • Air Baltic • Air Canada • Air Europa • Air France • Air Malta • Air Moldova • Air Serbia • Air Transat • Alitalia • ANA • Austrian Airlines • Blue Air • BMI regional • British Airways • Brussels Airlines • Bulgaria Air • Cathay Pacific • Corendon Airlines • Czech Airlines • Croatia Airlines • Delta • easyJet • Egyptair • El Al Israel Airlines • Emirates • Ethiopian Airlines • Etihad Airways • Eurowings • Finnair • FlyEgypt • Freebird • Georgian Airways • Hainan Airlines • HOP! • Iberia • Icelandair • KLM • LOT • Lufthansa • Middle East Airlines • Pegasus • Qatar Airways • Qeshm Air • Royal Air Maroc • Rwandair • Ryanair • SAS • SunExpress • Swiss • Tailwind • TAP Portugal • Tarom • Thai Airways • TUIFly • Tunisair • Turkish Airlines • Ukraine International Airlines • United Airlines • Vueling.
Buses stop at one of the three platforms inside the airport bus station, located on Level 0, just below the Arrivals Hall.
The airport is well connected to the bus system offering at least 6 bus lines to Brussels and approximately 12 lines serving the regional areas. For fares and route information, visit the Brussels Zaventem airport website.
The following car rental agencies are located onsite in the Arrivals Hall: Avis/Budget, Enterprise/National/Alamo, Interrent/Europcar, Hertz, Sixt and Thrifty.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Crowne Plaza Hotel Brussels Airport • Parker Hotel Brussels Airport • Gresham Belson Hotel • Holiday Inn Brussels Airport • Ibis Brussels Airport • Ibis Budget Brussels Airport • Mercure Brussels Airport • NH Brussels Airport • Novotel Brussels Airport • Pentahotel Brussels Airport • Thon Hotel Brussels Airport.
Metered taxis are available outside of the Arrivals Hall on a 24-hour basis. Reservations are not required. For safety reasons, use only licensed taxis with the blue and yellow emblem, and do not accept unsolicited offers for a ride from illegal taxis. At the time of this April 2019 update, the estimated one-way fare between the airport and the city is € 45.
For service to or from North of France for a party of 3 – 8 passengers, contact TOC-TOC airport taxi service.
Brussels Airport has a train station below the airport in Basement Level 1. You will need to have your train ticket in hand to enter the station’s automated entry gates.
National trains conveniently travel from Brussels Airport to the major cities in Belgium. Some examples include: Brussel Central, 17 mins; Antwerp, 30 mins; Charleroi, 83 mins. For train routes, schedules, fares and ticket information, visit the Belgian Rail website.
Direct international travel is possible with 16 daily departures from the airport to Amsterdam, via Dordrecht, Rotterdam and The Hague. For train routes, schedules, fares and ticket information, go to the SNCB Europe website.
Last updated: 2019-05-03
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.