Budapest Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Budapest Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
the only annoying thing was the cleaning lady blasting past me at 3am with her cleaning machine not really worried much about all the ppl trying to sleep. - jaxstar
Airside. photo credit: Budapest Airport.
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at Budapest Airport.
What to Expect
- The staff welcome overnight guests.
- There are two terminals, 2A and 2B, connected by the Sky Court; you can easily walk between the two. (An old Terminal 1 closed several years ago.)
- Very mall-like atmosphere with lots of shops and Western and local eateries.
- There are two 24-hour eateries, both in Terminal 2B, one Landside and the other Airside.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Landside generally has more comfortable seating than Airside, with the SkyCourt having a lot of cushioned benches.
- There is plenty of seating in Terminals 2A and 2B it's not very comfortable.
- Travellers report friendly staff, just loud overnight cleaning services.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there is a hotel connected to the terminal and many other hotels nearby. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below for more info.
Good to Know
- Economy class travelers can buy a pass to several airport lounges (no showers). See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for location and hours.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Budapest Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Budapest airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Platinum Lounge - Location: Terminal 2A, airside, Mezzanine Level, Schengen Area, Gate 22. Hours: 5:00AM - 8:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Buy a day pass online (US$31.00)
- Menzies Aviation Lounge - Location: Terminal 2A, Airside, next to Gate A8. Hours: 7:00AM - 7:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Book Online (£28.00)
- Platinum Lounge - Location: Terminal 2B, airside, Mezzanine Level, Non-Schengen Area, Gates 18-19. Hours: 5:00AM - 11:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Buy a day pass online (US$31.00)
- SkyCourt Lounge (Malev) - Location: SkyCourt, Airside, 2nd floor, Schengen Area. Hours: 5:00AM - 11:30PM (Daily)
- Mastercard Lounge - Location: SkyCourt, airside second floor, Schengen Area. Entrance: Free access for MasterCard (Gold, Platinum, World) cardholders. Guests and children under 18 may enter free of charge. Additional guests must pay pay a 10 euro each.
Free WiFi is available at Budapest airport in Terminals 2A, 2B, SkyCourt and the Visitor Terrace for up to 2 hours. Connect to the "bud:free wifi" network and enter your email address to log in. If you experience difficulty connecting to the network, you may need to try a few times.
If sleeping in Budapest Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Airport Hotel Budapest - (5 minutes from the airport) The hotel is connected to the airport, but is a long walk from the terminal. It is easier to use the hotel’s free 24-hour roundtrip airport transfers. Call 0036 30 371 6903 when you are ready. The pick-up area is in front of Terminal 2A.
- Hotel Ferihegy - (5 minutes from the airport) Airport shuttle available (one way is 6 Euro, roundtrip is 10 Euro).
- Budapest Airport Hotel Stacio - (5 minutes from the airport) Free airport transfers are available upon request.
- Sarokhaz Panzio - (2 minutes from the airport) Airport transfers are available. Cost is 8,00€ each way. Call 003629355033 after you have picked up your luggage.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Budapest Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Photo by Budapest Airport
- ATMs / Cash Machines - ATMs in this airport are easy to spot by their orange color. Locations: SkyCourt, under the escalators as you walk towards Terminal 2 • Arrivals Hall (landside), two each in Terminals 2A and 2B • Baggage Reclaim, one each in Terminals 2A and 2B.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Chapel/Room of Silence - Location: Terminal 2B, Mezzanine Level Hours: 4:00AM – 12:00AM.
- Children’s Play Area - A small play area is available in the SkyCourt. Older children may enjoy the games available in the Virgin Store.
- Currency Exchange - Interchange offers foreign currency exchange in six locations: SkyCourt • T2A, landside, Arrivals • T2A, airside, Arrivals • T2B, airside, Departures • T2B, airside, Arrivals • T2B, landside, Arrivals Hours: Vary, but the T2B landside location is open 24 hours.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty-free shopping is available 24 hours a day at the Skycourt location of Heinemann, and throughout much of the day in Terminals 2A and 2B. In addition you will find a wide variety of retail and gift shops.
- Fast Track - As a premium service, customers with Fast Track security passes will be given priority service to ensure that waiting is kept to a minimum. Only certain airlines participate, see the website for a complete list. Cost: 5.00 EU – tickets are sold at Terminal 2B Celebi Platinum Service/Ticket Centre, T2B OTP Travel Agency and T2A and T2B departure hall kiosk.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours: Flocafé (T2B, Departures Hall) • O’Leary’s Sports Bar (SkyCourt, Mezzanine) • Upper Crust (SkyCourt location is open 24 hours).
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Luggage storage room rates, per bag, are € 2 for one hour to € 14 for 24 hours, with longer-term storage available for € 23 for 48 hours to € 69 for one month. Only cash accepted. Location: SkyCourt, ground floor, near reception. Hours: Open 24 hours
- Luggage Trolleys - Available for a fee.
- Luggage Wrapping - Keep your valuables valuable and your privates private with SecureBag luggage wrapping service, available for 2500 Ft per bag. Location: Check-in area of both terminals Hours: From start of check-in time of first flight until the end of check-in time of last flight.
- Observation Deck - Enjoy free WiFi or a delicious snack with views of the tarmac and runway at the Observation Deck. 500 Ft gets you a single-entry ticket. There’s no restroom on the Observation Deck, so use one before you enter. Location: T2A, Departure Hall Mezzanine (Level 3) Hours: Open 24 hours, but the cafe is only open from 8:00AM - 8:00PM.
- Pharmacy - Over the counter drugs can be purchase at the Relay Shops located in all terminals.
- Post Office - Magyar Posta Location: Terminal 2A Hours: 8:00AM - 12:00PM and 12:30PM - 3:30PM Mon-Fri (closed Sat,Sun).
- Showers - Not available
- Smoking Rooms - Other than the smoking area provided at the Terrace Cafe ( Rooftop of Terminal 2A, between the visitor terrace and the SkyCourt) there are no designated smoking areas within the Terminals. There are assigned smoke spots outside the terminal.
- Spa & Salon Services - Neck, back, foot and Thai massage is offered in 10 - 60 minute sessions at Lian Day Spa. Location: T2, SkyCourt mezzanine Hours: 8:00AM - 8:00PM • Limited hairstyling services are available in the DryBar at the José Eber retail shop. Location: SkyCourt, under the escalators toward Terminal 2A.
- Ticket Printing - did you forget to print your ticket? The Cavok Lounge (Terminal 2B) and GO4 Travel Agency offer a printing service.
The airport is open 24 hours.
From 4:00AM - 11:00PM, Bus 200E links the airport to Kőbánya-Kispest metro station (M3 line), stopping along the way at Ferihegy Railway Station. M3 metro trains traveling toward Újpest Központ can be taken into the city center, and connections to national and international trains are available from Ferihegy.
- From 11:00PM - 1:00AM, Bus 200E runs to and from Határ út metro station (M3 line), where connections can be made to Bus 914, 950 or 950A, all of which head into the city center.
- From 1:00AM - 4:00AM, Night Bus 900 resumes bus service from the airport, running to and from Bajcsy-Zsilinszky út metro station (M1 line), where connections can be made to Bus 950 or 950A for travel into the city center. There is no metro service available from 11:00PM - 4:00AM.
To reach the airport by bus from the city center between 11:37PM - 3:04AM, take Bus 950 to the intersection of Honvéd utca and Üllői út, and transfer to Bus 900 for service to the airport. From 3:05AM - 4:09AM, Take Bus 914, 914A or 950 to Határ út metro station, and transfers to Bus 200E for service to the airport.
For route maps, schedules and fares for buses and the Metro, visit the BKK (Budapesti Közlekedési Központ) website.
Car rental services are available in Terminals 2A, 2B and the Skycourt area. Onsite car rental agencies include Avis, Buchbinder/Mega Drive/Enterprise, Budget, Europcar, Hertz, and Sixt.
miniBUD will begin offering service to and from Budapest Airport on February 1, 2016. At the time of this update, information about routes, schedules and fares was not yet available. miniBUD will accept reservations as of January 18, 2016.
Taxis are available at the taxi stands located outside of Terminals 2A and 2B. Taxis can be reserved at Főtaxi booths located at the exit doors of both terminals. At the time of this update, the estimated fare for a one-way trip between the airport and city center is 6500 HUF. All taxis accept cash and credit cards.
Last Updated: 03 October 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.