Düsseldorf International Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Düsseldorf Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Security didn't seem to care we were there, but we kinda tried to hide also cuz we thought they might. -drvanostren
May 2011 - On the 27th of May 2011 me and my 11 year old daughter had to spent the night at Düsseldorf International airport waiting for our connection. Initially, we wanted to sleep on the luggage collection area but police said that was not possible for security reasons. So we went to the waiting area where most people - around 30 at 11pm - were sleeping. It was quite quiet and well lit. After a bit of search we ended up on the third floor where the travel agancies and the observatory are situated. We found an empty, unused 'office' and we spent the night there. People start visiting the observatory from 6am but it was still quiet. We couldn't bee seen from the outside and nobody bothered us. Overall a pleasant night
Have you been to Düsseldorf Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Düsseldorf airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Hugo Junkers Lounge - Location: International Terminal B, Airside, Level 2, Gate B. Showers are available. Hours: 5:15AM - 9:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€21,00) • Book Online (£22.00) • Priority Pass.
- Air Berlin/LTU Lounge - Location: International Terminal C, Airside, Upper Floor, in front of Gate C46. Hours: 6:00AM - 10:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
- Open Sky Lounge - Location: International Terminal C, Airside, Upper level, near Gates C36 and C45. Hours: 6:00AM - 10:00PM.
Emirates and Lufthansa have lounges for Elite Status/First or Business Class travellers. Emirates Lounge (Pier C, Non-Schengen. Hours: 12:00AM - 3:00PM and 6:00PM - 9:00PM) • Lufthansa Business Lounge & Lufthansa Senator Lounge (PIer A, Gallery Level. Hours: 5:15AM - 9:00PM Mon - Fri • 5:15AM - 8:00PM Sat • 5:30AM - 9:00PM Sun)
Free WiFi is available at Düsseldorf Airport for 30 minutes per day. Beyond the 30 minutes, you can purchase a package for €4 (for 30 minutes) • €6 (for 60 minutes) • €12 (for 240 minutes). Package rates are to be used within a 24-hour period.
Additionally, there are 6 internet kiosks scattered throughout the airport. Terminal Locations: Piers A, B and C; outside McDonald's on the arrivals level and 2 terminals on the arrivals level near the airport information desk.
If sleeping in Düsseldorf Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Sheraton Düsseldorf Airport Hotel - Located on the roof of P3 Car Park. Day rooms are available from 9:00AM - 5:00PM.
- Maritim Hotel - Connected to Terminal C by a pedestrian bridge. Day rooms are available.
- Lindner Airport Hotel - (10 min walk or 5 min ride from the airport) Free airport shuttle runs every 20 minutes from 5:40AM to 10:00AM and 5:40PM to 10:00PM, Monday through Friday. Last shuttle leaves the airport at 10:00PM. Shuttle pick-up point is in Parking Place 12A.
- Hotel Kleine Oase - (15 min walk or 2 min drive from the airport) No airport shuttle
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Düsseldorf Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- Airport Tours - Go behind the scenes and get a close-up view of the comings and goings on the apron on a two hour tour of the airport. Departure Times: 9:00AM, 11:30AM, 2:30PM, 5:00PM (Mon - Fri) 10:30AM and 1:00PM (Sat). Duration: 90 minutes - two hours. Rates: €9.50 (adults) and €6.00 (children 5-14). Ticket includes free entrance to to the observation terrace and use of the SkyTrain.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Cash machines can be found in the Arrivals and Departures areas, the Airport Arkaden (Location: Pier C) and the train station.
- Baby Care Facilities - If you are travelling with an infant, baby changing rooms are available. Locations; unknown.
- Currency Exchange - Change Group - Locations: Departures Level and Arrivals Level. Stadt-Sparkasse Düsseldorf - Location: Arrivals Level.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty Free shopping is available and there are over 60 other stores to choose from.
- Food & Drinks - There are many food options available before (landside) and after (airside) security. Here are the 24-hour food and beverage concessions:
- Landside: McCafe • McDonald's
- Airside: b2b
- Landside: McCafe • McDonald's
- Information Desks - The main Information Desk is located beside Belt 6 in the Arrivals area. There are two other desks located on the Departure Level across from the Cafe B2B, Düsseldorf Flughafen Train Station.
- Late Night Check-In - The following airlines offer late night check-in service: airberlin • Bulgarian Air Charter • Condor • Croatia Airlines • Lufthansa • SunExpress • TUIfly. Check with your airlines for the current check-in times.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - The left luggage office is located on the ground floor of the car park 3. Hours: 5:00AM - 11:00PM (Daily). Rates: from €4.00 per day (items up to 30kg) - €6.00 (items up over 60kg).
- Meditation Room - A non-denominational quiet room is located on Level 3, Landside. Hours: open 24 hours. Although, the airport states the room is open "almost around the clock", so it probably closes at some point for cleaning.
- Observation Decks - There are two areas to watch the action on the airport grounds. From the Observation Deck on the roof of Concourse B you can watch the air traffic on the apron and the air traffic dispatch procedures. From the Train Station you can see the take off and landing runways. Rates: 2.20 Euro per adult (one ticket is good for both observation decks). Hours: 6:00AM - 9:00PM (Summer) and 9:00AM - 8:00PM (Winter).
- Prayer Room - The prayer room for Muslim passengers provides separate area for men and women, as well as a separate washing area. Location: Pier C, Airside. Hours Open 24 Hours.
- Pharmacy - Metropolitan Pharmacy - Location: Airport Arkaden (Hours: 6:30AM - 9:00AM) • Airside, Gate c (Hours: 6:00AM - last flight).
- Showers - Not available
- Smoking Lounges - Locations: Designated areas in Piers A, B, C, Airside.
- Supermarket - Whether you are a traveller seeking out fresh produce during an extended stay or a traveller returning home from vacation, you will find a REWE supermarket on the Arrivals Level. Hours: 5:00AM - 12:00AM.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Dusseldorf Airport has two bus stations: a bus station in front of the main Arrivals Halls and another located at the Dusseldorf Airport railway station. Four scheduled bus lines run from each of those terminals. For more information, visit the Rheinbahn web site.
The following on-site car rental agencies can be found in the Arrivals area: Avis, Buchbinder, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, Europcar, Hertz, and Sixt.
Car sharing is an economical and eco-friendly way to rent a car for a brief period. Car sharing stations are located throughout the city, and are open 24 hours a day. Vehicles can be picked up at one station and dropped off at another. Car2Go and DriveNow have vehicles available for use from Dusseldorf Airport. Please visit their respective websites for details and rates.
The SkyTrain runs between Terminal C, Dusseldorf Airport railway station and Car Park 4. Trains depart every 3.5 - 7 minutes, and the journey from the railway station to Terminal C takes about 7 minutes. Hours of operation are 3:45AM - 12:45AM or later. Tickets can be purchased at automated ticket machines located at the train platforms.
Inter-terminal bus transfer is available when the SkyTrain is not running. The shuttle goes between the terminal (Arrivals Door E), the airport railway station (Level 0) and both car parks. Hours of operation are 1:05AM - 3:25AM, with buses departing every 20 minutes.
Certified taxis, authorized by the airport, can be found at the designated taxi ranks at both Departures and Arrivals Levels. These taxis are easily identifiable by the “Airport Taxi” sticker displayed on the vehicles. Certified airport taxis are guaranteed to accept credit card as payment, be familiar with the local area, speak German and/or English, have a clean and well-maintained vehicle and have a booster seat on hand for small children.
There are two train stations at the airport: Dusseldorf Airport railway station and Dusseldorf Airport terminal train station. Dusseldorf Airport train station, located on the east side of the airport, is connected by SkyTrain and receives S-Bahn (urban trains) and ICE (long distance inter-city) trains. Dusseldorf Airport terminal train station can be reached by moving walkway from the baggage claim area of Terminal C. From the terminal train station, passengers can take the S11 to destinations in Dusseldorf, Cologne and Bergisch Gladbach.
Last Updated: 04 April 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.