Düsseldorf International Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Düsseldorf Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Security didn't seem to care we were there, but we kinda tried to hide also cuz we thought they might. -drvanostren
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at Düsseldorf Airport.
What to Expect
- The airport has three departure halls, Terminals A, B, and C, but they are all connected to one main terminal building.
- Travellers report feeling safe and that airport staff is generally tolerant of overnight guests.
- The airport is open 24-hours but is very quiet overnight.
- There are two Landside 24-hour eateries, and one Airside.
- Inefficient and disorganized security checkpoint and boarding procedures, according to some reviewers.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Dusseldorf Airport is open 24 hours a day, but travellers are not allowed to wait or sleep airside after 10:00PM, when security checkpoints have closed for the night. Passengers already airside are required to go landside until security reopens at 4:00AM, and will need to clear security to re-enter. This is strictly enforced!
- Airside: there are seats without armrests.
- Landside: head towards a couple cafes that have sofas/benches.
- For uninterrupted sleep, several hotels are at or right nearby the airport; some offer day rooms. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Showers are only available in paid lounges.
- Economy class travellers can buy entry to three airport lounges; one has shower facilities. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Düsseldorf Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Düsseldorf airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Lufthansa Business Lounge - Location: Terminal A, Airside, Mezzanine Level. Hours: 5:15AM - 9:00PM (Sun - Fri) • 5:30AM - 9:00PM (Sat). Lounge Access: Book Online (US$ 53 - day pass)
- Hugo Junkers Lounge - Location: International Terminal B, Airside, Level 2, Gate B. Showers are available. Hours: 5:15AM - 9:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€25,00) • Book Online (£22.00)
- Air Berlin/LTU Lounge - Location: International Terminal C, Airside, Upper Floor, in front of Gate C46. Hours: 6:00AM - 10:00PM (Daily).
- Open Sky Lounge - Location: International Terminal C, Airside, Upper level, near Gates C36 and C45. Hours: 6:00AM - 10:00PM. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€26,00)
Emirates and Lufthansa have lounges for Elite Status/First or Business Class travellers. Emirates Lounge (Pier C, Non-Schengen. Hours: 12:00AM - 3:00PM and 6:00PM - 9:00PM) • Lufthansa Business Lounge & Lufthansa Senator Lounge (PIer A, Gallery Level. Hours: 5:15AM - 9:00PM Mon - Fri • 5:15AM - 8:00PM Sat • 5:30AM - 9:00PM Sun)
Free WiFi is available at Düsseldorf Airport for 30 minutes per calendar day. Beyond the 30 minutes, you can purchase a package for €4 (for 30 minutes) • €6 (for 60 minutes) • €12 (for 240 minutes). Package rates are to be used within a 24-hour period.
Additionally, there are six internet kiosks scattered throughout the airport. Terminal Locations: One kiosk each in Piers A, B and C • One kiosk outside the McDonald's on the Arrivals level • Two terminals on the Arrivals level near the Airport Information Counter.
If sleeping in Düsseldorf Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Sheraton Düsseldorf Airport Hotel - 3 minute walk from Arrivals. Located on the roof of P3 Car Park. Day rooms are available from 8:00AM - 5:00PM, rates starting at 89,00€.
- Maritim Hotel - Connected to Terminal C by a pedestrian bridge. Day rooms are available.
- Lindner Airport Hotel - (5 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle runs every 20 minutes from 5:40AM to 10:00AM and 5:40PM to 10:00PM (Monday through Friday). For shuttle pick-up, exit arrivals in Area B, exit D, follow signs for Parking Garage 3, the bus pick-up is immediately on the right hand side as you enter Garage 3.
- Hotel Kleine Oase - (2 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Düsseldorf Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- Airport Tours - Go behind the scenes and get a close-up view of the comings and goings on the apron on a two hour tour of the airport. Departure Times: 9:00AM, 11:30AM, 2:30PM, 5:00PM (Mon - Fri) 10:30AM and 1:00PM (Sat). Duration: 90 minutes - two hours. Rates: €9.50 (adults) and €6.00 (children 5-14). Ticket includes free entrance to to the observation terrace and use of the SkyTrain.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - ATMs are available on the Departures and Arrivals levels, the Airport Arkaden, Pier C and the Düsseldorf Flughafen train station.
- Baby Care Facilities - If you are travelling with an infant, baby changing rooms are available. Locations: unknown.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Currency Exchange - Change Group operates two foreign currency exchange kiosks on the Departures level and one on the Arrivals level. Stadt-Sparkasse Düsseldorf has a branch on the Arrivals level.
- Dental Clinic - Pluszahnärzte® in the Airport Arkaden offers comprehensive and emergency dental care. Location: Airport Arkaden Hours: 7:00AM - 10:00PM Mon-Fri and 9:00AM - 7:00PM Sat,Sun, and public holidays.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty-free shopping is available, along with over 60 retail shops.
- Food & Drinks - There are many food options available before (landside) and after (airside) security. Here are the 24-hour food and beverage concessions:
- Landside: McCafe • McDonald's
- Airside: b2b
- Information Desks - The main Information Counter is located in the central Arrivals area, near Belt 6. Other Information Counters can be found in these locations: Departures level, near the airline check-in counters • in Arrivals • near the Düsseldorf Flughafen train station
- Late Night Check-In - The following airlines offer late night check-in service: airberlin • Bulgarian Air Charter • Condor • Croatia Airlines • Eurowings • germanwings • Lufthansa • NIKI Check with your airlines for the current check-in times.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - If you want a hands-free layover or have items you don’t want to travel with, you can store your documents, items or luggage at the left luggage facility in the airport. Rates are from €4.00 to € 11.00 per item/bag, per calendar day. Location: Car Park P3, Ground Floor Hours: 5:00AM - 11:00PM.
- Luggage Wrapping - Safer Bag offers luggage wrapping for 8 Euro per bag. Location: Departures Level, landside Hours: 4:00AM - 8:00PM.
- Meditation Room - A non-denominational quiet room is located on Level 3, Landside. Hours: open 24 hours. Although, the airport states the room is open "almost around the clock", so it probably closes at some point for cleaning.
- Observation Decks - Enjoy views of the action on airport grounds from the Visitor Terrace. If you’re around on a weekend in July, you can attend an “OpenAirportCinema” event, where movies are screened against the beautiful backdrop of the airport grounds. Tickets are 2,20 Euro per adult. Location: On the rooftop of Pier B. To reach the Visitor Terrace, take the central escalator in the middle of the Check-In Hall. Hours: 9:00AM - 8:00PM Apr-Oct and 10:00AM - 7:00PM Nov-Mar. The terrace is open 365 days a year.
- Prayer Room - The Prayer Room for Muslim Passengers has separate prayer and washing areas for men and women. Location: Pier C, Airside Hours: Open 24 Hours
- Pharmacy - Metropolitan Pharmacy Two locations: Departures Level shopping area (Hours: 6:30AM - 9:00PM) • Pier C (Hours: 6:00AM until last flight).
- Showers - Showers are available in one of the lounges. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
- Smoking Lounges - Locations: Designated areas in Piers A, B, C, Airside.
- Supermarket - If you need to pick up groceries on the way to your destination in Düsseldorf, stop at Rewe City Market for your household needs. Location: Arrivals, Ground Floor Hours: 5:00AM - 12:00AM (Supermarket) 9:00AM - 6:00PM (West Lotto).
The airport is open 24 hours.
Dusseldorf Airport has two bus stations: a bus station in front of the main Arrivals Halls and another located at the Dusseldorf Airport railway station. Four scheduled bus lines run from each of those terminals. For more information, visit the Rheinbahn web site.
The following on-site car rental agencies can be found in the Arrivals area: Avis, Buchbinder, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, Europcar, Hertz, and Sixt.
Car sharing is an economical and eco-friendly way to rent a car for a brief period. Car sharing stations are located throughout the city, and are open 24 hours a day. Vehicles can be picked up at one station and dropped off at another. Car2Go and DriveNow have vehicles available for use from Dusseldorf Airport. Please visit their respective websites for details and rates.
The SkyTrain runs between Terminal C, Dusseldorf Airport railway station and Car Park 4. Trains depart every 3.5 - 7 minutes, and the journey from the railway station to Terminal C takes about 7 minutes. Hours of operation are 3:45AM - 12:45AM or later. Tickets can be purchased at automated ticket machines located at the train platforms.
Inter-terminal bus transfer is available when the SkyTrain is not running. The shuttle goes between the terminal (Arrivals Door E), the airport railway station (Level 0) and both car parks. Hours of operation are 1:05AM - 3:25AM, with buses departing every 20 minutes.
Certified taxis, authorized by the airport, can be found at the designated taxi ranks at both Departures and Arrivals Levels. These taxis are easily identifiable by the “Airport Taxi” sticker displayed on the vehicles. Certified airport taxis are guaranteed to accept credit card as payment, be familiar with the local area, speak German and/or English, have a clean and well-maintained vehicle and have a booster seat on hand for small children.
There are two train stations at the airport: Dusseldorf Airport railway station and Dusseldorf Airport terminal train station. Dusseldorf Airport train station, located on the east side of the airport, is connected by SkyTrain and receives S-Bahn (urban trains) and ICE (long distance inter-city) trains. Dusseldorf Airport terminal train station can be reached by moving walkway from the baggage claim area of Terminal C. From the terminal train station, passengers can take the S11 to destinations in Dusseldorf, Cologne and Bergisch Gladbach.
Last Updated: 20 February 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.