Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Düsseldorf Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
Security didn’t seem to care we were there, but we kinda tried to hide also cuz we thought they might. – drvanostren
DUS Airport Overview
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Düsseldorf International Airport.
What to Expect
Düsseldorf Airport (Code: DUS) is comprised of three Terminals (A, B and C) connected by a central spine. The airport is walkable and all three terminals can be accessed once through security. There are plenty of shops, eateries and services in all three terminals. The airport gets very quiet at night, but there are a couple of 24-hour eateries. There is free WiFi and economy class passengers can avail themselves of additional comforts via fee-based entry into one of the airport lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
Sleeping in Düsseldorf Airport
While Düsseldorf Airport is open 24 hours, airside portions of the terminals are closed to passengers when security checkpoints shut down for the night (approx. 10:00PM), and airside passengers are moved to landslide until they are allowed to re-clear security the next morning (approx. 4:00AM). Other than this restriction, airport security and staff are generally tolerant of overnight sleepers. Reviewers suggest that the check-in area is more comfortable than the arrivals area, and note there are a couple of cafes that have sofas/benches. Once you are airside, you can find seats without armrests. Explore our guide to sleeping in Düsseldorf Airport or read some traveller reviews for more tips. For more privacy and comfort, albeit for a price, there are several nearby airport hotels, including one hotel within a 3 minute walk from Arrivals. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Have you already been to DUS airport? Write a review and share photos from your own experience.
For more airport information continue scrolling down to explore more in our Düsseldorf Airport Guide.
Due to the current Covid-19 pandemic, all services and times listed below are subject to change. In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Passes Hugo Junkers Lounge – Location: Terminal B, Airside, Level 2, Gate B. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
Passes Open Sky Lounge – Location: Terminal C, Airside, Upper level, near Gates C36 and C45. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Lounge membership programs.
If you are a First or Business Class traveller you may have access to the lounge listed below. For more information, check the airline’s website.
- Emirates Lounge (Pier C, Non-Schengen).
- Lufthansa Business Lounge & Lufthansa Senator Lounge (Pier A, Gallery Level).
If sleeping in the airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels at Düsseldorf airport and several nearby options with shuttle service:
- Sheraton Düsseldorf Airport Hotel – 3 minute walk from Arrivals. Located on the roof of P3 Car Park. Day rooms are available from 8:00AM – 5:00PM.
- Maritim Hotel – Connected to Terminal C by a pedestrian bridge. Day rooms are available.
- Lindner Airport Hotel – (5 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle runs every 20 minutes from 4:40AM to 9:20AM and 6:40PM to 10:40PM (Monday through Friday). For shuttle pick-up, exit arrivals in Area B, exit D, follow signs for Parking Garage 3, the bus pick-up is immediately on the right hand side as you enter Garage 3.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Düsseldorf Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Düsseldorf Airport. You also have the option to upgrade to premium service for the following rates: €4 (for 30 minutes, valid 24 hours) • €6 (for 60 minutes, valid 7 days) • €12 (for 240 minutes, valid for 1 year).
Additionally, there are six internet kiosks scattered throughout the airport. Terminal Locations: One kiosk each in Piers A, B and C • One kiosk outside the McDonald’s on the Arrivals level • Two terminals on the Arrivals level near the Airport Information Counter.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
- Postal Services – Stamps are available for purchase at all WHSmith shops throughout the terminal. Mailboxes are available on the Departures Level. You can also send and receive small and large packages at the DHL-Paketshop at WHSmith (Hours: 6:00AM – 12:00AM) on the arrivals level. Note: you need to know the postage calculation as there are no machines/scales available.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – Baby change facilities are available in all departure areas, at main arrivals, and at the railway station. If you need to purchase diapers or other supplies there is a REWE Supermarket in Arrivals.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – There are many food options available before (landside) and after (airside) security. Here are the 24-hour food and beverage concessions:
- Landside: McCafe • McDonald’s
- Airside: b2b
- Supermarket – If you need to pick up groceries on the way to your destination in Düsseldorf, stop at Rewe City Market for your household needs. Location: Arrivals, Ground Floor. Hours: 5:00AM – 12:00AM (Supermarket) 9:00AM – 6:00PM (West Lotto). Please note: As of this February 2020 update, the supermarket is currently closed for renovations.
- Information Desks – If you have any questions, visit one of the airport information desks for assistance! The main Information Counter is located in the central Arrivals area, near Belt 6. Other Information Counters can be found in these locations: Departures level, near the airline check-in counters • in Arrivals • near the Düsseldorf Flughafen train station.
- Travel Agencies – If you are arriving in Düsseldorf and need local arrangements or help planning a really last minute trip abroad, there are a number of travel agencies with offices at the airport that can probably be of assistance.Visit the airport Travel Market where over 40 travel agencies are available 365 days a year. Hours: 10:00AM until at least 7:00PM.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – If you want a hands-free layover or have items you don’t want to travel with, you can store your documents, items or luggage at the left luggage facility in the airport. Rates are from €5.00 to € 13.00 per item/bag, per calendar day. Location: Car Park P3, Ground Floor Hours: 5:00AM – 11:00PM.
- Luggage Wrapping – Protect your bags from theft and damage by having your bags wrapped in plastic. Safer Bag offers luggage wrapping €5.00 / bag. Location: Departures Level, landside Hours: 4:00AM – 8:00PM.
- Porters – Service is available to assist you with your luggage at check-in and upon arrival. Rates: unknown.
- Dental Clinic – Pluszahnärzte® in the Airport Arkaden offers comprehensive and emergency dental care. Location: Airport Arkaden Hours: 7:00AM – 12:00AM (Mon-Fri) • 9:00AM – 7:00PM (Sat,Sun, and public holidays).
- Pharmacy – Metropolitan Pharmacy Two locations: Departures Level shopping area (Hours: 6:30AM – 9:00PM) • Pier C (Hours: 6:00AM until last flight).
- Mobile Charging – A reader tells us “Charging: there are plug sockets all over the airport, but they’re well hidden – one was in the gap between the floor and the balcony, others are on the sides of pillars near the floor. There are some USB sockets on the free internet posts, but these are few and far between, and of four I found, only one worked. They are both airside and landside. ” (October 2019)
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Departures and Arrivals levels, the Airport Arkaden, Pier C and the Düsseldorf Flughafen train station.
- Banking Services – Stadt-Sparkasse Düsseldorf has a branch on the Arrivals level.
- Currency Exchange – Change Group operates two foreign currency exchange kiosks on the Departures level and one on the Arrivals level.
Prayer & Meditation
- Chapel – Regardless of religion, the chapel is open to everyone. Location: Terminal A, Departures Level. Hours: 7:00AM – 7:00PM (Mon – Fri) • 10:00AM – 4:00PM (Sat – Sun).
- Meditation Room – A non-denominational quiet room is located on Level 3, Landside. Hours: open 24 hours. Although, the airport states the room is open “almost around the clock”, so it probably closes at some point for cleaning.
- Prayer Room – The Prayer Room for Muslim Passengers has separate prayer and washing areas for men and women. Location: Pier C, Airside Hours: Open continuously during airport hours.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – There are no dedicated sleeping areas, quiet areas or rest zones. If this information has changed, click here to update this guide.
- Duty Free & Shopping – Duty-free shopping is available, along with over 60 retail shops. The REWE Supermarket may come in hand for any last minute needs. Location: Landside, Arrivals. Hours: 5:00AM – 12:00AM.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Salon – unknown
- Showers – Showers are available in one of the lounges. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
- Spa – Not available.
- Smoking Lounges – Smoking is prohibited throughout the airport, except in the designated spots located outside the airport or in the smoking lounges airside in Piers A, B and C.
Things to do & see
- Airport Tours – Find out what happens at the airport during a behind-the-scenes airport tour. Departure Times: 9:00AM • 11:30AM • 2:30PM • 5:00PM (Mon – Fri) & 10:30AM • 1:00PM (Sat). Tour Duration: 90 minutes to 2 hours. Rates: €9.50 (adults) • €6.00 (children 5-14). Ticket includes free entrance to the observation terrace and use of the SkyTrain.
- Observation Decks – Enjoy views of the action on airport grounds from the Visitor Terrace. If you’re around on a weekend in July, you can attend an “OpenAirportCinema” event, where movies are screened against the beautiful backdrop of the airport grounds. Location: On the rooftop of Pier B. To reach the Visitor Terrace, take the central escalator in the middle of the Check-In Hall. Rates: €2.20 per adult and reduced rates for retirees and children. Hours: 9:00AM – 8:00PM (Apr-Oct) • 10:00AM – 7:00PM (Nov-Mar). The terrace is open 365 days a year.
Other Airport Services
- Late Night Check-In – The following airlines offer late night check-in service: Condor • Eurowings • Lufthansa. Check with your airlines for the current check-in times.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Düsseldorf airport is served by the following airlines: Aegean Airlines • Aer Lingus • Aeroflot • Air Baltic • Air China • Air Dolomiti • Air Europa • Air France • Air Malta • Air Nostrum • Air Serbia • Albawings • Alitalia • ANA • Arkia Israeli Airlines • ASL Airlines • Atlas Global • Austrian Airlines • British Airways • Bulgarian Air Charter • Condor • Corendon Airlines • Croatia Airlines • Czech Airlines • Delta • easyJet • El Al Israel Airlines • Emirates • Enter Air • Etihad Airways • Eurowings • Finnair • Fly2Sky • Freebird Airlines • Georgian Airways • Hahn Airlines • HOP! • Iberia • Icelandair • Iraqi Airways • KLM • Lauda • Loganair • LOT • Lufthansa • Luxair • Malaysia Airlines • Nesma Airlines • Nouvelair • Onur Air • Orange 2 Fly • Pegasus Airlines • Qantas Airways • Royal Air Maroc • S7 Airlines • SAS • Singapore Airlines • Sprintair • Sun Express • Sundair • Swiss • Tailwind Airlines • TAP Portugal • TUIFly • Tunisair • Turkish Airlines • Ukraine International Airlines • Volotea • Vueling • Wings of Lebanon.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Dusseldorf Airport has two bus stations: a bus station in front of the main Arrivals Halls and another located at the Dusseldorf Airport railway station. Four scheduled bus lines run from each of those terminals. For more information, visit the Rheinbahn website.
The following on-site car rental agencies can be found in the Arrivals area: Avis • Buchbinder • Budget • Enterprise • Europcar • Hertz/Dollar/Thrifty • Sixt.
Car sharing is an economical and eco-friendly way to rent a car for a brief period. Car2Go and DriveNow have vehicles available for use from Dusseldorf Airport. Please visit their respective websites for details and rates.
See Airport Hotels above.
The SkyTrain runs between Terminal C, Dusseldorf Airport railway station and Car Park 4. Trains depart every 3.5 – 7 minutes, and the journey from the railway station to Terminal C takes about 7 minutes. Inter-terminal bus transfer is available when the SkyTrain is not running. For fares (you may not have to purchase a ticket) and schedules, visit the Düsseldorf Airport website.
Certified taxis, authorized by the airport, can be found at the designated taxi ranks at both Departures and Arrivals Levels. At the time of this update, the average fare to Düsseldoff city centre is €28.00.
There are two train stations at the airport: Dusseldorf Airport railway station and Dusseldorf Airport terminal train station. Dusseldorf Airport train station, located on the east side of the airport, is connected by SkyTrain and receives S-Bahn (urban trains) and ICE (long distance inter-city) trains. Dusseldorf Airport terminal train station can be reached by moving walkway from the baggage claim area of Terminal C. From the terminal train station, passengers can take the S11 to destinations in Dusseldorf, Cologne and Bergisch Gladbach.
Pro-Tip: from a reader “Arrived at long-distance train station at 2:45am. SkyTrain to terminal not operational for several hours overnight. Transfer to terminal requires use of a shuttle bus from ground level underneath SkyTrain station. This is unsigned until you reach the actual bus stop. I followed some locals. To be fair, there is an automated announcement every 10 minutes, but no actual signage.
Last updated: 2020-06-16
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.