Edinburgh Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Edinburgh Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
After being asleep for some 30 minutes, security woke us and shouted at us for being "a security issue". -Bjoern
photo credit: Dbx54 / Wikimedia
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at Edinburgh Airport.
What to Expect
- The layout is easy to navigate with only one terminal.
- Security generally don’t mind you staying overnight but may ask you to move to a different spot or to show your passport and tickets.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Many travellers report having to sleep Landside because security processing was closed.
- The arrivals area has some benches without armrests - arrive early to snag one. Look near the baggage claims and a small waiting area.
- Roomy, armrest-free chairs, easy access to restrooms, and ghost town-like quiet and solitude make the airport’s car rental centre an airport sleeper’s paradise!
- Several travellers report being asked to leave from the cafes and prayer room after an amount of time.
- Many travellers sleep on the floor, but it’s cold so be prepared.
- Bring eye masks and earplugs - it is bright and loud.
- For uninterrupted sleep, several hotels are nearby; only some have airport shuttles. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class travellers can buy entry to two airport lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Edinburgh Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Edinburgh airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Aspire Lounge - Location: Airside, near Gate 4. Hours: 4:30AM - 8:30PM (Mon- Fri and Sun) • 4:30AM - 6:30PM (Sat). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online (£21.99)
- No. 1 Edinburgh - Location: Airside. Hours: 4:30AM - 9:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (£30.00) • Book Online (£26.00)
Free WiFi is available at Edinburgh Airport for two hours per day. Connect to the 'Edinburgh Airport' network.
If you do not have a mobile device, you can use one of the internet terminals (provided by Spectrum Interactive Ltd.) available in the airport. Credit/debit cards and coins (euro or sterling) are accepted. Terminals can be found landside, airside and in Arrivals.
If sleeping in Edinburgh Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Edinburgh Airport - (7 min walk or 2 min ride from the airport) Free airport shuttle leaves from the airport terminal (stance 2) every 15 minutes between 3:00AM to 10:00AM, or on request outside of these hours.
- Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh Airport - (12 min walk or 5 min ride from the airport) Airport shuttle bus runs to and from the airport. For airport pick-up, use the courtesy phone on the wall between check-in and UK arrivals or in the walkway at the coach park, opposite stand L then head to Bus Stane 9 for pick-up. The bus is £2.50 return.
- Premier Inn Edinburgh Airport - (6 min from the airport) No airport shuttle.
- Ibis Budget Hotel Edinburgh Park - (7 min from the airport) No airport shuttle.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Edinburgh Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- Art Gallery - View a rotating exhibition of Scottish art in the airport's Art Gallery. Location: Airside, near Gate 13
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Available at various points landside and airside.
- Baby Care - Baby change facilities are located both Landside and Airside. Additionally, Boots Drugstore is located Airside and offers pre-order service for baby milk, simply place your order 5 days before your travel and pick up post security, freeing up space in your hand luggage for other essentials.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Children's Play Area - There are 3 children's play areas. Locations: Airside, main departure lounge opposite the Liquorice Tree • Airside, Gate 2 • Airside, south-east pier, beside Gate 15.
- Currency Exchange - International Currency Exchange (ICE) has five locations: Departures, landside, Check-In Hall (Hours: 4:00AM - 7:00PM) • Departures, airside, opposite World Duty Free (Hours: 4:00AM - 8:30PM) • International Arrivals, landside (Hours: 7:00AM - 11:00PM) • Departures, airside, Gate 5 near Boots (Hours: 5:00AM - 5:00PM) • Arrivals, airside, International Baggage Reclaim Hall (Hours: 7:00AM - 7:00PM).
- Dry Cleaning - Drop your clothing off by 9:00AM and receive it back the next day after 9:00AM with Luggage Point’s “Drop Off, Pick Up” dry cleaning service. Location: East Terminal Annex Hours: 4:00AM - 10:00PM.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty Free is available as well as a large selection of shops.
- Fast Track Service - As a premium service, customers with Fast Track security passes will be given priority service to ensure that waiting is kept to a minimum. Cost: £4.49. Book on-line or purchase tickets at FastTrack Machines located throughout Landside.
- Food & Drinks - Costa Coffee, located in the Arrivals Area, is open 24 hours. There are other food and beverage concessions available with reduced operating hours, most of which open at 4:00AM. M&S Simply Food is located Landside (Hours 5:00 - 11:00PM) and offers food for on the go.
- Information Desk - The airport and tourist Information Desk is located in the arrivals area. Hours: unknown.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Location: UK Arrivals area, ground floor. Hours: 6:00AM to 10:00PM. Daily Rates: from £8.00 (small item - 1 day) • £11.00 (medium items - 1 day) • £4.50 for 1-4 hours and £20.00 for (large items such as suitcases - 1 day). Long term storage is available over 4 weeks.
- Luggage Wrapping - Luggage Point luggage wrapping service is available, with rates starting at £10 per bag. Location: East Terminal Annex Hours: 4:00AM - 10:00PM.
- Massages - Inside & Out offers a range of treatments and therapies. Location: Airside, Gate 10. Coin operated massage chairs can be found airside.
- Mobile Charging - Recharge your electronics before security at Caffè Nero (on the first floor) and after security at WHSmith Café (near Gate 16).
- Pharmacy - Superdrug is located Airside. Hours: 4:00AM - 11:00PM every day.
- Prayer Room - Location: International Arrivals, Ground Floor. Hours: open 24 hours
- Showers - Not available
- Smoking - Smoking is permitted in designated areas outside the airport.
- Spa - AeroSpa provides all services ranging from mani/pedi’s to massages. Location: Airside. Hours: 5:00AM – 7:30PM everyday
- Viewing Areas - The best places to watch the action on the tarmac and runways are located airside at The Gathering Restaurant & Lounge, Costa Coffee (Gate 12) and WHSmith Café.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Airlink 100 runs every 10 minutes between the airport (Stop D) and Waverley Bridge, providing easy access to Princes Street, Waverley Station and Edinburgh Bus station. Total trip time one way is 35 minutes. Tickets are sold at the airport information desk, online, at the bus stop or from the driver onboard the bus. For online ticket purchase, visit the Edinburgh Airport website.
Night Bus N22 offers nightly service between the airport (Stop D) and Leith (Ocean Terminal) via South Gyle, stopping along the way in Edinburgh city center. Buses depart every 30 minutes from 1:00AM - 4:15AM for the 28-minute journey.
Service 35 runs between the airport (Stop F) and Leith (Ocean Terminal), stopping along the way at RBS World Headquarters, the Scottish Parliament and the Palace of Holyroodhouse. Total trip time is 1 hour. Departures are every 15 minutes on weekdays, during the day, and every 30 minutes on nights and Sundays. Adult fare is £1.50 for a single-ride ticket, or £4 for an all-day ticket.
For route maps, schedules and fares for Night Bus N22 or Service 35, visit the Lothian Buses website.
Stagecoach’s Jet 747 bus service runs between the airport (Stop G) and Fife, with connections available to services for onward travel north and west. Buses depart every 30 minutes on weekdays and Saturdays, and hourly on Saturday nights and Sundays. Total travel time from the airport to Fife is 25 minutes. Adult fare is £5.60 for single-ride, £7.70 for same day round trip and £10.00 for period round trip. Combo bus/train tickets and travel passes are also available. For route maps, schedules and additional fare information, visit the Stagecoach website.
Citylink Air offers daily nonstop service from the airport (Stop C) to Glasgow city center, with buses departing every 30 minutes (during peak times) for the 1 hour journey. Adult fare is £11.40 for a single ticket, or £18.60 for a return ticket, available at the Visit Scotland desk (International Arrivals), online or onboard from the bus driver. Family tickets, good for 2 adults and 3 kids, are only sold onboard the bus. For route description, schedules and additional fare information, visit the Scottish Citylink website.
Car rental services are handled in the Car Rental Centre, a designated facility located behind the multi-story car park and connected to the main passenger terminal via covered walkway. Onsite car rental agencies include Alamo, Avis, Budget, Enterprise, Europcar, Hertz, National, Sixt and Thrifty.
Licensed black taxis are available on the ground floor of the multi-story car park, just opposite of the main passenger terminal. All taxis are metered, and reservations are not required. Total trip time between the airport and city center is 25 minutes.
Edinburgh Trams is an easy and economical way to travel to the city center if you are traveling light. Trams depart every 18 minutes for the 35-minute ride to the city center. Stops are made along the way, with connections to rail services available at Edinburgh Park Station, Haymarket and St. Andrew Square. Connection to Edinburgh Bus Station is also available from St. Andrew Square tram stop. Adult tram fare is £5 (one way) or £8 (round trip). Tickets are sold at vending machines in each tram stop. For route map, schedules and additional fare information, visit the Edinburgh Trams website.
Last Updated: 20 February 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.