Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Edinburgh Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
After being asleep for some 30 minutes, security woke us and shouted at us for being “a security issue”. -Bjoern
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us about their time at Edinburgh Airport.
What to Expect
Edinburgh Airport is a one-terminal facility that’s easy to get around, but services are limited to about a dozen or so eateries and similar number of shops. Free WiFi is available and economy class passengers can purchase entry into an airport lounge for additional comforts. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
Where to Sleep
Security and airport staff are generally tolerant of overnight sleepers, though sometimes ask passengers to move to other spots. Many travellers end up sleeping landside due to closed security checkpoints. Prime spots identified by reviewers include armrest-free benches in the arrivals area, and armrest-free chairs and solitude in the airport’s car rental centre. Several travellers report being asked to leave cafes after a certain amount of time if it appears they are lingering around too long for the comfortable seating. Because numerous reviewers have identified the airport as being bright and loud, eyeshade and earplugs/noise-cancelling headphones are recommended. Many travellers end up sleeping on the cold floor, so be prepared! For uninterrupted sleep, albeit for a price, there are several nearby hotels. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
If faced with a long daytime layover, consider a journey into Edinburgh Centre via the tram service that runs every seven minutes with a journey time of 30 minutes.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
If sleeping in Edinburgh Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Edinburgh Airport – (7 minute walk or 2 minute drive from the airport) Free airport shuttle leaves from the airport terminal (stance 2) every 15 minutes between 3:00AM to 10:00AM, or on request outside of these hours. » Check Rates
- Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh Airport – (12 minute walk or 5 minute drive from the airport) Airport shuttle bus runs to and from the airport. For airport pick-up, use the courtesy phone on the wall between check-in and UK arrivals or in the walkway at the coach park, opposite stand L then head to Bus Stane 9 for pick-up. The bus is £2.50 return. » Check Rates
- Premier Inn Edinburgh Airport – (6 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
- Ibis Budget Hotel Edinburgh Park – (7 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Edinburgh Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Edinburgh Airport for two hours per day. Connect to the ‘Edinburgh Airport’ network.
If you do not have a mobile device, you can use one of the Surfbox internet terminals located throughout the airport. Credit/debit cards and coins (euro or sterling) are accepted. Terminals can be found landside, airside and in Arrivals. In addition to the Surfbox terminals, Virgin WiFi internet desks are also available throughout the airport. Payment is accepted via credit card, voucher, or coins (euro or sterling).
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – Baby change rooms are available in these four locations: UK Arrivals, landside, behind Costa • 1st floor, landside, near WHSmith • Airside, near Gate 11 • International Baggage Reclaim Hall (accessible only to arriving passengers).
- Children’s Play Area – There are 3 children’s play areas. Locations: Airside, main departure lounge opposite the Liquorice Tree • Airside, Gate 2 • Airside, south-east pier, beside Gate 15.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks -Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. At the time of this update, the following are open 24 hours: Costa Coffee (Arrivals Area) and Starbucks (Landside). M&S Simply Food is located Landside (Hours 5:00 – 11:00PM) and offers food for on the go.
- Information Desk – The airport and tourist Information Desk is located in the arrivals area. Hours: unknown.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Location: UK Arrivals area, ground floor. Hours: 6:00AM to 10:00PM. Daily Rates: small item (carry-on) – £8.00/1 day or £48.00/week • medium item (suitcases) – £10.00/1 day or £60.00/week • large item – £20.00/1 day or £120.00/week. Long term storage is available over 4 weeks.
- Luggage Wrapping – Luggage Point luggage wrapping service is available, with rates starting at £10 per bag. Location: East Terminal Annex Hours: 4:00AM – 10:00PM.
- Pharmacy – Superdrug is located Airside. Hours: 4:00AM – 11:00PM every day.
- Mobile Charging – Recharge your electronics before security at Caffè Nero (on the first floor) and after security at WHSmith Café (near Gate 16).
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Landside and Airside.
- Currency Exchange – International Currency Exchange (ICE) has five locations: Departures, landside, Check-In Hall (Hours: 4:00AM – 7:00PM) • Departures, airside, opposite World Duty Free (Hours: 4:00AM – 8:30PM) • Departures, airside, near All Bar One (Hours: 5:00AM – 5:00PM) • International Arrivals, landside (Hours: 7:00AM – 11:00PM) • Departures, airside, Gate 5 near Boots (Hours: 5:00AM – 5:00PM) • Arrivals, airside, International Baggage Reclaim Hall (Hours: 7:00AM – 7:00PM).
- Prayer Room – Location: International Arrivals, Ground Floor. Hours: open 24 hours.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Massage Chairs – Coin operated massage chairs can be found airside.
- Rest Zones – Not available.
- Fast Track Service – As a premium service, customers with Fast Track security passes will be given priority service to ensure that waiting is kept to a minimum. Cost: £4.49. Book on-line or purchase tickets at FastTrack Machines located throughout Landside.
- Duty Free & Shopping – Duty Free is available as well as a large selection of shops.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Showers – Not available.
- Spa – AeroSpa offers massages and a wide range of hair, skin, and nail services. Location: Airside. Hours: 5:00AM – 8:30PM Daily, except Saturday (closes at 5:00PM).
- Massages – Inside & Out offers a range of treatments and therapies. Location: Airside, Gate 10.
- Smoking – Smoking is permitted in designated areas outside the airport.
Things to do & see
- Art in the Airport – View a rotating exhibition of Scottish art in the airport’s Art Gallery. Location: Airside, near Gate 13.
- Viewing Areas – The best places to watch the action on the tarmac and runways are located airside at The Gathering Restaurant & Lounge, Costa Coffee (Gate 12) and WHSmith Café.
Other Airport Services
- Dry Cleaning – Drop your clothing off by 9:00AM and receive it back the next day after 9:00AM with Luggage Point’s “Drop Off, Pick Up” dry cleaning service. Location: East Terminal Annex Hours: 4:00AM – 10:00PM.
The airport is open 24 hours.
As of March 2018, Edinburgh airport is served by the following airlines: Aegean Airlines • Aer Lingus • Air Berlin • Air Canada • Air Europa • Air France • Air Seychelles • American Airlines • Atlantic Airways • Austrian Airlines • BA Cityflyer • BH Air • BMI Regional • Barrhead Travel • British Airways • Brussels Airlines • Cathay Pacific • CityJet • Delta Virgin • Edelweiss Air • Etihad Airways • Eurowings • Finnair • FlyBe • Flynas • Iberia • Inghams • Jet Airways • Jet2 • KLM • LOT • Loganair • Lufthansa • Mistral Air • Norwegian • Omar Air • Powdair • Qatar Airways • Ryanair • SAS • South African Airways • Sri Lankan Airlines • Thomas Cook • Thomson Airways • Transavia France • Turkish Airlines • United Airlines • Virgin Australia • Vueling • Wow Air • easyJet.
Several companies operate daily bus and coach service to and from Edinburgh Airport. These buses and coaches travel to railway stations and destinations within Edinburg and its surrounding areas, as well as long distance destinations. The Airport Link 100 runs every 10 minutes and takes approximately 30 minutes to travel between Waverley Bridge (near the main bus and train station) and the airport. For details on the bus companies and their pick-up zones, visit the Edinburgh Airport website.
Car rental services are handled in the Car Rental Centre, a designated facility located behind the multi-story car park and connected to the main passenger terminal via covered walkway. Onsite car rental agencies include Alamo, Avis, Budget, Enterprise, Europcar, Hertz, National, Sixt and Thrifty.
Licensed black taxis are available on the ground floor of the multi-story car park, just opposite of the main passenger terminal. All taxis are metered, and reservations are not required. Total trip time between the airport and city center is 25 minutes.
Edinburgh Trams is an easy and economical way to travel to the city center (with stops along the way) if you are traveling light. Trams depart every 7 minutes for the 30-minute ride to the city center. As of this January 2018 update, adult tram fare is £5.50 (one way) or £8.50 (round trip). Tickets are sold at vending machines in each tram stop. For route map, schedules and additional fare information, visit the Edinburgh Trams website.
Last updated: 2018-10-23
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide, write a review or send an email to [email protected] and we will update this guide.