Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Edinburgh Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
After being asleep for some 30 minutes, security woke us and shouted at us for being “a security issue”. -Bjoern
EDI Airport Overview
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Edinburgh Airport (Code: EDI).
What to Expect
Edinburgh Airport is a one-terminal facility that’s easy to get around, but services are limited to about a dozen or so eateries and similar number of shops. Free WiFi is available and economy class passengers can purchase entry into an airport lounge for additional comforts. See Airport Lounges in the guide below for locations and rates.
Sleeping in Edinburgh Airport
Security and airport staff are generally tolerant of overnight sleepers, though sometimes ask passengers to move to other spots. Many travellers end up sleeping landside due to closed security checkpoints. Prime spots identified by reviewers include armrest-free benches in the arrivals area, and armrest-free chairs and solitude in the airport’s car rental centre. Several travellers report being asked to leave cafes after a certain amount of time if it appears they are lingering around too long for the comfortable seating. Because numerous reviewers have identified the airport as being bright and loud, eyeshade and earplugs/noise-cancelling headphones are recommended. Many travellers end up sleeping on the cold floor, so be prepared! Explore our guide to sleeping in Edinburgh Airport or read some traveller airport reviews for more tips. For uninterrupted sleep, albeit for a price, there are several nearby hotels. See the Airport Hotels section below for more info.
Good to Know
If faced with a long daytime layover, consider a journey into Edinburgh Centre via the tram service that runs every seven minutes with a journey time of 30 minutes.
Some airport reviews and tips in this guide and elsewhere on the site were written before March 2020 and may no longer be valid. To help us keep this guide up-to-date, you can add or update information or write a review to submit airport tips and photos.
For more airport information continue scrolling down to explore more in our Edinburgh Airport Guide.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security. For more information on Europe’s Schengen Area, click here.
If sleeping in the airport sounds like a nightmare, there are hotels near Edinburgh Airport:
With Covid restrictions constantly changing, we recommend that you confirm shuttle availability prior to booking and/or prior to your arrival.
- DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Edinburgh Airport – Free airport shuttle is available. » Check Rates
- Moxy Edinburgh Airport – No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
- Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh Airport – No airport shuttle » Check Rates
- Premier Inn Edinburgh Airport – No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
- Ibis Budget Hotel Edinburgh Park – No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
For more options, visit Tripadvisor to see a list of hotels near Edinburgh Airport that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!Passes Aspire Lounge – Location: Airside, near Gate 4. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs. Passes Aspire Lounge – Location: Airside, near Gate 16, 2nd Floor. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
Related Pages: Edinburgh Airport Lounges
Airport WiFi / Internet
Free WiFi is available at Edinburgh Airport for two hours per day. Connect to the ‘Edinburgh Airport’ network.
If you do not have a mobile device, you can use one of the Virgin WiFi internet desks located throughout the airport. Credit/debit cards and coins (euro or sterling) are accepted. In addition, you can also pay to use the telephone-style internet kiosks where you can check your email or surf the web.
Airport Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover
- SIM Cards – A reader has asked us to include where to buy SIM Cards. If you know, click here to update this airport guide.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – Baby change rooms are available in these four locations: UK Arrivals, landside, behind Costa • 1st floor, landside, near WHSmith • Airside, near Gate 11 • International Baggage Reclaim Hall (accessible only to arriving passengers).
- Children’s Play Area – When you want to ensure your kids burn off all their energy before their flight, take them to the children’s play area. Three locations: Airside, main departure lounge opposite the Liquorice Tree • Airside, Gate 2 • Airside, south-east pier, beside Gate 15.
- Family Lane – Breeze through security using the designated Family Lane, free of charge.
- Food – Most restaurants provide high-chairs and children’s menus. Diapers, formula milk and more are available at the Superstore Drug Store (Airside – open 24 hours).
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. At the time of this update, the following are open 24 hours: Burger King (Airside) • Costa Coffee (Airside at Gate 10) • Starbucks (Landside) • Superdrug Drug Store (Airside, sells limited food options). M&S Simply Food is located Landside (Hours 5:00 – 11:00PM) and offers a good selection of food for travellers on the go.
- Information Desk – If you have any questions, visit the airport and tourist Information Desk, located in the arrivals area. Hours: unknown.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Location: UK Arrivals area, ground floor. Hours: 6:00AM to 10:00PM. Rates for standard size: £8.50/ 1 – 3 hours • £12.50/ 1st day • £10.00 each additional day/bag • £50.00 7 week. Oversized bags will be charged double these rates.
- Luggage Weighing – Worried that you are over your airline’s luggage weight limit? There are scales available to put your mind at ease. Locations: Main check in hall and outside the Luggage-Point store (East Terminal). Rate: £1 per bag.
- Luggage Wrapping – Luggage Point luggage wrapping service is available, with rates starting at £10 per bag. Location: East Terminal Annex Hours: 4:00AM – 10:00PM.
- Pharmacy – Superdrug is located Airside. Hours: 24 hours.
- Mobile Charging – Recharge your electronics before security at Caffè Nero (on the first floor) and after security at WHSmith Café (near Gate 16). In addition, there are plenty of outlets available both Landside and Airside.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Landside and Airside.
- Currency Exchange – International Currency Exchange (ICE) has six locations:
- Landside: Check-In Hall (Hours: 4:00AM – 8:00PM) • Arrivals 2, next to Starbucks (Hours: 7:00AM – 12:00AM) • International Arrivals (Hours: 7:00AM – 4:00PM).
- Airside: Departure Lounge, near Duty Free (Hours: 4:00AM – 8:00PM) • Near Gate 15 (Hours: 5:00AM – 8:00PM) • Arrivals, International Baggage Reclaim (Hours: 7:00AM – 9:00PM).
- Prayer Room – Location: International Arrivals, Ground Floor, beside Costa Cafe. Hours: open 24 hours.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Massage Chairs – Coin operated massage chairs can be found airside.
- Rest Zones – There are no dedicated sleeping areas, quiet areas or rest zones. If this information has changed, click here to update this guide.
- Fast Track Service – As a premium service, customers with Fast Track security passes will be given priority service to ensure that waiting is kept to a minimum. Cost: £4.49. Book on-line or purchase tickets at FastTrack Machines located throughout Landside.
- Duty Free & Shopping – Duty Free is available as well as a large selection of shops.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Showers – Not available.
- Spa – AeroSpa offers massages and a wide range of hair, skin, and nail services. Location: Airside. Hours: 5:00AM – 30 minutes before the last flight.
- Massages – Inside & Out offers a range of treatments and therapies. Location: Airside, Gate 10.
- Smoking – Smoking is permitted in designated areas outside the airport.
Things to do & see
- Art in the Airport – View a rotating exhibition of Scottish art in the airport’s Art Gallery. Location: Airside, near Gate 13.
- Viewing Areas – The best places to watch the action on the tarmac and runways are located airside at The Gathering Restaurant & Lounge, Costa Coffee (Gate 12) and WHSmith Café.
Other Airport Services
- Dry Cleaning – Drop your clothing off by 9:00AM and receive it back the next day after 9:00AM with Luggage Point’s “Drop Off, Pick Up” dry cleaning service. Location: East Terminal Annex Hours: 4:00AM – 10:00PM.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Edinburgh airport is served by the following airlines: Aegean Airlines • Aer Lingus • Air Canada • Air Europa • Air France • Air Seychelles • Alitalia • American Airlines • Atlantic Airways • Austrian Airlines • BA Cityflyer • BH Air • Barrhead Travel • British Airways • Brussels Airlines • Cathay Pacific • CityJet • Crystal Ski • Delta Air Lines • EasyJet • Edelweiss Air • Emirates • Etihad Airways • Eurowings • Finnair • Flynas • Great Dane • Hainan Airlines • Iberia • Inghams • Israir • Jet2 • KLM • LOT • Laudamotion • Loganair • Lufthansa • Mistral Air • Norwegian • Omar Air • Powdair • Qatar Airways • Ryanair • SAS • South African Airways • Sri Lankan Airlines • Thomson Airways • Transavia France • TUIFly • Turkish Airlines • United Airlines • Virgin Australia • Vueling • Wizz Air.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Buses and Coaches
Several companies operate daily bus and coach service to and from Edinburgh Airport. These buses and coaches travel to railway stations and destinations within Edinburg and its surrounding areas, as well as long distance destinations. The Airport Link 100 runs every 10 minutes and takes approximately 30 minutes to travel between Waverley Bridge (near the main bus and train station) and the airport. For details on the bus companies and their pick-up zones, visit the Edinburgh Airport website.
Car rental services are handled in the Car Rental Centre, a designated facility located behind the multi-story car park and connected to the main passenger terminal via covered walkway. Onsite car rental agencies include Alamo • Avis • Budget • Enterprise • Europcar • Hertz • National • Sixt • Thrifty.
See also Airport Hotels above.
Licensed black taxis are available on the ground floor of the multi-story car park, just opposite of the main passenger terminal. All taxis are metered, and reservations are not required. Total trip time between the airport and city center is 25 minutes.
Edinburgh Trams is an easy and economical way to travel to the city center (with stops along the way) if you are travelling light. Trams depart every 7 minutes for the 30-minute ride to the city center. As of this update, adult tram fare is £6.00 (one way) or £8.50 (round trip). Tickets are sold at vending machines in each tram stop. For route map, schedules and additional fare information, visit the Edinburgh Trams website.
Last updated: 2022-02-22
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.