Faro Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Faro Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
We stayed in the airport for about 12 hours, find ways to entertain ourselves, such as using the HUGE floor space to play catch. -Barlow
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Faro Algarve Airport.
What to Expect
- A mid-size international airport served mainly by seasonal flights.
- Restaurants close at night, so have some food and beverages handy for late-night snacking!
- Lots of power outlets are available airside!
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
- Check-in is friendly and efficient, but those security checkpoint lines can be a mess!
- Restaurants and shops in the airport are quite expensive landside, and even more expensive airside. Eat before you come to the airport or have a few snacks and beverages handy. Cold beverages and water are available from vending machines located near the gates.
- During high season, you may find the airport crowded, with a lack of seating and long lines for the restrooms during the daytime.
Where to Sleep
- After security checkpoints close for the night, passengers are restricted to landside only. Passengers sleeping airside will be required to go back to landside until security reopens (around 4:00AM), and will need to clear security again to re-enter.
- Reviews from overnight travellers are mixed. Some reviewers give Faro Airport high marks for providing a safe, quiet and pleasant overnight experience. On the other hand, in addition to the reports of noisy cleaning staff and raucous travellers playing football in the middle of the night, there are recent sightings of homeless people, drug addicts, and thieves in the landside area that remains open at night. One reviewer awoke to find someone standing near his luggage. If you must sleep in the airport, keep your valuables close to you and lock them down if you can.
- On the landside, you will find 4-seat benches with backs, but no armrests. Have a sleeping bag and/or travel mat handy for added comfort! There are some comfortable green couches on the airside, but you will only be able to sleep airside for a limited time.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter the airport’s first class lounge. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
- If you find the airport restaurants expensive or lacking in choice, there is a supermarket and restaurant only a 10-minute walk from the airport! Next to the onsite Europcar rental car office is a small residential street. Walk down the street until you see the restaurant. According to one reviewer, the prices are cheap and the selection is better than what you’ll find at the airport.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Faro Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Faro airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Faro Airport Lounge - Location: Airside. Hours: 6:00AM - 11:30PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online (£25.00 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
Unlimited free WiFi is available at Faro Airport. Connect to the "VINCI Airports wifi" network.
If sleeping in Faro airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Hotel Aeromar - (6 min from the airport) No airport shuttle
- Hotel 3K Faro Aeroporto - (7 min walk or 2 min drive from the airport) No airport shuttle
- Hospedaria Frangaria - (3 min from the airport) No airport shuttle.
- Ibis Faro Algarve - (5 min from the airport) No airport shuttle.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Faro Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Location: landside and airside.
- Baby Care Facilities - Baby-changing stations in the airport offer changing table, sink, and work area in a comfortable and private setting. There are six of these stations located throughout the airport, both landside and airside. ANA strollers are available for use in the airport, free of charge. Pick one up after you clear security, and leave it at your boarding gate when you’re done.
- Baggage Trolleys - Available for use, free of charge.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Children’s Area - Yes, Ground Floor, Departures open from 6:00AM - 12:00AM.
- Currency Exchange - Unicâmbio offers foreign currency exchange landside and airside.
- Duty Free & Shopping - A duty-free store is available, along with a small variety of boutiques and retail shops.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate on varying schedules. At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour dining options. Vending machines are available landside. Food options include: AirTasty • Burger MH • Carlsberg • Costa Coffee • Delta Cafe • Mulligan’s • SoHo Coffee Co. • Subway
- Information Desk - Yes, located both landside and airside and when in doubt there are also courtesy phones which are staffed between 6:00AM - 12:00AM.
- Luggage Storage - Luggage lockers are available for rent for €1.50 - €2.50 per item, per 4-hour storage period. Rates vary depending on the size of locker needed. Location: landside, near Car Park P5. Hours: 9:00AM - 1:00PM. At the time of this update, the lockers were “temporarily unavailable”.
- Luggage Wrapping - Safe Bag luggage wrapping is available in the Check-In area. Fee: unknown.
- Medical Services - The Portuguese Red Cross operates a first aid station onsite.
- Mobile Charging - See Relax Zone below.
- Pharmacy - Location: Landside. Hours: 7:30AM – 10:00PM
- Relax Zone - Look for Living Spot, a comfortable waiting area with seating, work area, interactive entertainment, mobile charging, and more. Location: Airside, near the shops and restaurants. Hours: 6:00AM - 12:00AM.
- Showers - not available
The airport is open 24 hours.
Two city bus lines access the airport: Linha 14 and Linha 16. Both lines travel between Faro beach and city center, via the airport, from 5:00AM - 11:00PM. For timetables, stops and fares, go to the Próximo website.
Car rental desks are available in the public area of the Arrivals Hall. Onsite car rental agencies include: Avis/Budget, Europcar, Goldcar, Guerin/Enterprise and Hertz. Hours: 7:00AM - 12:00AM.
Taxis are readily available for hire 24 hours a day from taxi ranks at the airport, out on the street or by phone. Taxis can fit up to 4 people, and many are wheelchair-accessible. A surcharge applies for oversized luggage, and any highway tolls are added into the final fare.
Last Updated: 09 January 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.