Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Faro Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
We stayed in the airport for about 12 hours, find ways to entertain ourselves, such as using the HUGE floor space to play catch. -Barlow
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Faro Algarve Airport.
What to Expect
- A mid-size international airport served mainly by seasonal flights.
- Restaurants close at night, so have some food and beverages handy for late-night snacking!
- Lots of power outlets are available airside!
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
- Check-in is friendly and efficient, but those security checkpoint lines can be a mess!
- Restaurants and shops in the airport are quite expensive landside, and even more expensive airside. Eat before you come to the airport or have a few snacks and beverages handy. Cold beverages and water are available from vending machines located near the gates.
- During high season, you may find the airport crowded, with a lack of seating and long lines for the restrooms during the daytime.
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter the airport’s first class lounge. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
Where to Sleep
- After security checkpoints close for the night, passengers are restricted to landside only. Passengers sleeping airside will be required to go back to landside until security reopens (around 4:00AM), and will need to clear security again to re-enter.
- Reviews from overnight travellers are mixed. Some reviewers give Faro Airport high marks for providing a safe, quiet and pleasant overnight experience. On the other hand, in addition to the reports of noisy cleaning staff and raucous travellers playing football in the middle of the night, there are recent sightings of homeless people, drug addicts, and thieves in the landside area that remains open at night. One reviewer awoke to find someone standing near his luggage. If you must sleep in the airport, keep your valuables close to you and lock them down if you can.
- On the landside, you will find 4-seat benches with backs, but no armrests. Have a sleeping bag and/or travel mat handy for added comfort! There are some comfortable green couches on the airside, but you will only be able to sleep airside for a limited time.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- If you find the airport restaurants expensive or lacking in choice, there is a supermarket and restaurant only a 10-minute walk from the airport! Next to the onsite Europcar rental car office is a small residential street. Walk down the street until you see the restaurant. According to one reviewer, the prices are cheap and the selection is better than what you’ll find at the airport.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there is a lounge that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
If sleeping in Faro airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Hotel Aeromar – (6 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
- Hotel 3K Faro Aeroporto – (2 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
- Hospedaria Frangaria – (3 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle. The hotel suggests a taxi or the No.16 bus. » Check Rates
- Ibis Faro Algarve – (5 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Faro Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Unlimited free WiFi is available at Faro Airport. Connect to the “VINCI Airports wifi” network.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Landside and Airside.
Baby Care Facilities – Baby-changing stations in the airport offer changing table, sink, and work area in a comfortable and private setting. There are six of these stations located throughout the airport, both landside and airside. ANA strollers are available for use in the airport, free of charge. Pick one up after you clear security, and leave it at your boarding gate when you’re done.
Baggage Trolleys – Need a hand with your luggage? Baggage trolleys are available free of charge.
Children’s Play Area – When you want to ensure your kids burn off all their energy before their flight, take them to the children’s play area. Location: Ground Floor, Departures. Hours: open from 6:00AM – 12:00AM.
Currency Exchange – Unicâmbio offers foreign currency exchange landside. Hours: 7:00AM – 11:00PM.
Duty Free & Shopping – A duty-free store is available (4:00AM – 12:00AM), along with a small variety of boutiques and retail shops.
Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate on varying schedules. At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour dining options. The Costa Coffee (Landside) operates from 4:00AM until the last flight. Vending machines are available landside.
Information Desk – Need help finding your way? Information desks can be found in locations both landside and airside. When in doubt there are also courtesy phones which are staffed between 6:00AM – 12:00AM.
Luggage Storage & Lockers – Luggage lockers are available for rent for €1.50 – €2.50 per item, per 4-hour storage period. Rates vary depending on the size of locker needed. Location: landside, near Car Park P5. Hours: 9:00AM – 1:00PM. At the time of this update, the lockers were “temporarily unavailable”.
Luggage Wrapping – Safe Bag luggage wrapping is available in the Check-In area. Fee: unknown. Hours: 5:00AM – 5:00PM (Mon – Fri) and 5:0AM – 6:00PM (Sat and Sun).
Medical Services – The Portuguese Red Cross operates a first aid station onsite.
Mobile Charging – See Relax Zone below.
Pharmacy – Location: Landside. Hours: 7:30AM – 10:00PM
Rest Zone – Look for Living Spot, a comfortable waiting area with seating, work area, interactive entertainment, mobile charging, and more. Location: Airside, near the shops and restaurants. Hours: 6:00AM – 12:00AM.
Showers – Not available.
The airport is open 24 hours.
As of February 2018, Faro airport is served by the following airlines: Aigle Azur • Air Nostrum • Air Transat • Arke Fly • Azores Airlines • BA CityFlyer • British Airways • Brussels Airlines • EasyJet • Corendon • Edelweiss Air • Enter Air • Eurowings • Finnair • FlyBe • Germania • Icelandair •Jet Time • Jet2 • Jetairfly • Lufthansa • Luxair • Norwegian Air • Primera Air • Ryanair • SAS • TAP Portugal • Thomas Cook Airlines • Transaero • Transavia • Travel Service •TUI • Volotea • Vueling • XL • Wizz Air.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Two city bus lines access the airport: Linha 14 and Linha 16. Both lines travel between Faro beach and city center, via the airport with many stops in between. For timetables, stops and fares, go to the Próximo website.
Car rental desks are available in the public area of the Arrivals Hall. Onsite car rental agencies include: Avis/Budget, Europcar, Goldcar, Guerin/Enterprise and Hertz. Most are open 7:00AM – 12:00AM.
Taxis are readily available for hire 24 hours a day from taxi ranks at the airport, out on the street or by phone. Taxis can fit up to 4 people, and many are wheelchair-accessible. A surcharge applies for oversized luggage, and any highway tolls are added into the final fare. At the time of this December 2017 update, the average price of the fare between the airport and the city of Faro is €10.00.
Last updated: 2018-10-23
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide, write a review or send an email to [email protected] and we will update this guide.