Frankfurt am Main Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Frankfurt Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
"I slept with my suitcase as a pillow, and I got woke up a couple times by a couple surges of arriving passengers. But after midnight it was dead quiet. " - Cybrie
Firstly, I thought I'd spend the night where I arrived, meaning terminal 1 concourses A and Z (well, they're sort of together) airside, and my departure was also from there. I felt all happy, because it was such a clean place and the chairs seemed perfect for sleeping being without armrests. Later on I learned through announcements that they're closing the whole concourse. And of course I was the only traveller still there. To make me even more nervous than I was, all the passport checkpoints seemed to be closed also. Finally some security people guided me to take the train to concourse B. I saw some people already sleeping there, so I felt relieved. And to make sure this part would stay opened, I asked one of the passport checkers to make sure of it. I settled in on one of the chairs. It was quiet until a bunch of people arrived to keep it noise all night long. I think they had missed a flight since they were served food and drinks. Otherwise it would have been a good night to sleep, but these people (including kids) kept talking and walking around all night long, so it kept me alert..
Have you been to Frankfurt Airport recently? Tell us about it!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
There are two lounges that all passengers, regardless of your airline or class of services, can pay to use:
- Luxx Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, Landside, Departure Hall B/B, Gallery Level. Showers are available ($). Hours: 6am - 930pm. Lounge access: 30 € at the door / £25.00 when booked online (3 hours).
- Sky Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, Airside, Concourse D, 3rd Floor Transit Area, Gate D8. Showers are available. Hours: 645am - 9pm. Lounge Access: 30 € for 3 hours, 60 € for 6 hours at the door or book online £28.00 per person (3 hours).
Additionally there are many Airline Lounges: Air France Lounge • British Airways Lounge • Cathay Pacific First Class Lounge • DB Lounge • Emirates Lounge • Ethiad Lounge • Frankfurt Airport Club • Iberia Lounge • Japan Airlines Sakura Lounge • Lufthansa Senator Lounge • Lufthansa Business Lounge West • Lufthansa Business Lounge Ost • Lufthansa First Class Lounge • Lufthansa Welcome Lounge • Vip Lounge
Free WiFi is available at the Frankfurt Airport for one hour.
Additionally, you can can also surf the Internet at one of the Free Internet Points (sit-down terminals) or 100 Internet Towers (stand-up terminals).
If sleeping in the Frankfurt Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport....
- Sheraton Hotel Airport Hotel - a few steps from Terminal 1
- Hilton Garden Inn - connected to Terminal 1. Located above the ICE railway station.
- Park Inn by Radisson - located 800m from Terminal 2. The shuttle service to Terminals 1 and 2 runs between the hours 5am-11pm. Airport pick-ups are free, but the shuttle back is 3 EUR per person.
- Steigenberger Airport Hotel - located about 900m from the airport terminals, a 24-hour shuttle bus service departs 15 minutes.
- NH Frankfurt Airport - 5 minute drive from the airport. Free 24 hour airport shuttle.
- Meininger Hotel Frankfurt Airport - (dorm rooms are available) located within walking distance of Terminal 2. Shuttle service to Terminal 2 runs every 30 minutes.
To find a cheap room, Tripadvisor has a page for hotels near the Frankfurt Airport and you can sort hotels by price.
- Airport Experience Tours - Now this actually sounds like it might be interesting. Frankfurt airport offers a 45-minute "airport experience tour" which uniquely acquaints you with life at Frankfurt airport. The description says that "you will experience takeoffs and landings up close", but what I want to know is how close? The runway? Alternatively, you may go behind-the-scenes to look at the airport's famous fire brigade! Tours begin at 1pm, 2 pm, 3pm and 4 pm. (weekdays) and 11 am and 12 noon (weekends and holidays). Starting point: the pedestrian bridge between Terminal 1 and the Frankfurt Airport Center. Rate: € 8.00. No advance booking is required! Tickets can be purchased at the tour counter in the Airport City Mall Frankfurt in Terminal 1, Level 0. There are a number of other tours available: Maxi Tour (90 minutes), Fire Department Tour (105 minutes), and the Sunset Tour (120 minutes). These tours require reservations. Rates: 15,00 € - 25,00 € depending on the tour.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Cash machines are located throughout the terminal (landside and airside).
- Car Rentals - Avis • Budget • Europcar • Hertz • National • Sixt and more. Location: Terminal 1, Concourse A, Level 0, Airport City Mall Frankfurt and Terminal 2, Concourse D, Level 2.
- Children's Play Areas - If you are travelling with children, here are a few areas (airside) to take them for some entertainment:
Terminal 1, Concourse A, Level 2 (Departures) between gates A26 and A28 (behind the passport check) • Terminal 1, Concourse B between gates B22 and B24 • Terminal 2, Concourse E, Level 2, next to entrance E9 • Terminal 2, between Concourses D and E, Level 4 (Food Plaza, McDonald’s)
- Food & Drinks - There are many food and beverage concessions at Frankfurt Airport. Below are the 24-hour food options:
»Landside - Terminal 1: Connection (Departure Hall B, Level 2) • Starbucks (Area B, Shopping Avenue, Level 2)
»Airside - Terminal 1: HUB/Convenience store (Area B, Level 3) • Quicker’s (Area B, Level 2)
»Landside - Terminal 2: McDonald’s (Area D, Flood Plaza, Level 4)
»Airside - Terminal 2: Quicker’s (Area E, Arrival Hall A, Level 1)
- Casino - Play Roulette, Black Jack or the slot machines. Location: Terminal 1, Landside, Section C, Level 2. Hours: 700am - 100pm
- Conference Centre - For you business travellers, the airport has office and meeting space available for rent, as well as interpreter service. Location: Terminal 1, Area FAC, Level 3. Hours: 7am - 930pm (Mon - Fri) • 9am - 6pm (Sat & Sun)
- Cots - In the event of bad weather or delays, this airport has a supply of cots for stranded travellers. At the moment, we are not sure where you can find them or how you can get your hands on one, but they do exist. If you have any information or photos, please email me.
- Coupon Wall - If you are looking for deals and discounts on food and shopping at the airport, visit the Coupon Wall located in the Terminal 2 Shopping Plaza, Level 3. Hours: 10am - 7pm.
- Currency Exchange - available before and after security.
- Entertainment and Games - more slot machines, BigCash Club, Internet Terminals, computer games and more. Location: Terminal 1, Landside, Section B, Level 0. Hours: open 24 hours
Lunchtime Concerts - the airport has a lunchtime concert program on scheduled dates. Concerts are held in the Chapel, Terminal 1, Departures Hall B
- Hairdresser - Location: Terminal 1, Concourse C, Level 0, Airport City Mall Frankfurt. Hours: 8am - 8pm.
- Information Desk - In the transit zone, there are information desks in these locations: Terminal 1B, Level 2 (“Information 12”) • Terminal 1B, Level 3 (“Information 10”). There are also pre-security information desks in Terminal 1 B on the departures and arrivals levels and in Terminal 2 on the departures level. You can also use one of the many service telephones (dial 118) or ask the mobile service guides.
- Laundry - Dry Cleaning is available in Terminal 1, Concourse C, Level 0, Airport City Mall Frankfurt. Hours: 7am - 8pm (Mon-Fri) and 9am - 5pm (Sat-Sun).
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Unload your heavy bags while you enjoy the airport. There are a few left luggage offices:
Terminal 1 (Concourse B, Level 1) - Hours: 24 hours
Terminal 1 (Concourse B/C, Level 2) - Hours: 6am - 10pm
Terminal 2 (Concourse D, Level 2) - Hours: 6am - 10pm
Rates: € 7 (2 - 24 hours)
- Medical - If you require medical assistance, the following service may be of use to you:
»Airport Clinic - First Aid and medical care are available in Terminal 1, access via Concourse B/C, Level 1. Hours: open 24 hours.
»Optician - Locations: Terminal 1, Concourse B, Level 2, Shopping Avenue • Terminal 1, Concourse A, Level 2 •Terminal 2, Concourses D and E, Shopping Plaza. Hours: 6am or 7am - 10pm
»Pharmacy - Terminal 1, Concourse B, Level 2 • Terminal 2, Concourse D/E, Level 3 (near the SkyLine). Hours: 7am - 10pm
- Mobile Charging - There are many Oracle charging stations throughout the airport that you can use free of charge. You can also charge your cell phone free in the Around the World restaurant (Terminal 1 A, Level 2).
- Prayer Rooms - Locations: Terminal 1, Concourse B, Level 2 (Landside) and Terminal 2, Concourse D, Level 3. Hours: open 24 hours
- Relax Zones - Lounge style seats area available for transit passengers in the Relax Zones located in Transit Hall B East (near Gate B43).
- Showers -
Towels, floor mat, shower gel and hair dryer are available in three areas of the airport. Rate: €6 /US$ 8. The airport's shower facilities are located in the following areas:
- Terminal 1, Landside, B Departures, Shopping Boulevard across from "TUMI" and the pharmacy. Hours: 6am - 10pm
- Terminal 1, Airside, Transit B, Level 3 opposite the "Lufthansa Senator Lounge", to the left of Kuffler and Bucher. Hours: 6am - 10pm
- Terminal 2, Airside, Concourse D, Level 3, opposite security controls D 5-8. Hours: 6am - 11pm
- Smoking Areas - Smoking is not permitted inside the terminal except in the enclosed smoking booths located in the transit areas of Terminal 1 (A, B, C/D) and Terminal 2.
- Spa - Be Relax offers massages and an oxygen bar. Location: Terminal 1, Area A, Level 2 • Terminal 1, Area Z, Level 3 • Terminal 2, Area D, Level 3 • Terminal 2, Area E, Level 3.
- Travelling with kids -
The following areas have kids play areas.
Terminal 1, A Concourse, Level 2 (Departures) between gates A26 and A28 (after the passport check)
Terminal 2, E Concourse, Level 2, to one side of entrance E9
Terminal 2, between the D and E Concourses, Level 3 (Food Plaza, McDonald's)
- Visitor Terrace -
Watch the action in the apron area from the of the Visitors' Terrace. Location: Terminal 2. Hours: 10am - 6pm. Rate: €5
Open 24 hours
Airport Transportation: Ground Transportation
- Train - Go to the DB TravelCenter (Terminal 1, Concourse, Level 0) to buy train tickets or general train information. There are several domestic connections as well as international train connections to Amsterdam, Vienna, Zurich and more.
- Buses - A large number of bus connections are available for getting to and from the airport. You'll find bus stops in front of Terminal 1 (Arrivals level) and Terminal 2 (Level 2).
- Taxis - it takes about 20-30 minutes to reach downtown
Airport Transportation: Getting Around
- The SkyLine Train connects Terminal 1 and 2. The stops are located at B Concourse (Terminal 1) and between Concourses D and E (Terminal 2). It departs every 2-3 minutes and only takes 2 minutes.
- There is also a bus shuttle stops in front of the terminals. It departs every 10 minutes.
- The SkyLine Train connects Terminal 1 and 2. The stops are located at Terminal 1 A (transit), Terminal 1 B and Terminal 2 between Concourses D and E. It departs every 2-3 minutes and only takes 2 minutes.
- There is also a bus shuttle stop in front of the terminals. It departs every 10 minutes.
- If you need to go a long distance in a hurry, look for one of the blue-and-white Terminal Express cars that serve the entire transit zone. You can ride them free of charge.
- If you have less than 30 minutes to get to your connecting flight, you can use the fast lane at the security checkpoint.
Facebook and Twitter Tips
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Frankfurt Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2014.
- Submit your Airport Review - Register to submit your airport review or simply email your annonymous review to me and I will add it to the database.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Last Updated: 14 Jan 2014
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you du ring your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.