Frankfurt am Main Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Frankfurt Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
"I slept with my suitcase as a pillow, and I got woke up a couple times by a couple surges of arriving passengers. But after midnight it was dead quiet. " - Cybrie
Firstly, I thought I'd spend the night where I arrived, meaning terminal 1 concourses A and Z (well, they're sort of together) airside, and my departure was also from there. I felt all happy, because it was such a clean place and the chairs seemed perfect for sleeping being without armrests. Later on I learned through announcements that they're closing the whole concourse. And of course I was the only traveller still there. To make me even more nervous than I was, all the passport checkpoints seemed to be closed also. Finally some security people guided me to take the train to concourse B. I saw some people already sleeping there, so I felt relieved. And to make sure this part would stay opened, I asked one of the passport checkers to make sure of it. I settled in on one of the chairs. It was quiet until a bunch of people arrived to keep it noise all night long. I think they had missed a flight since they were served food and drinks. Otherwise it would have been a good night to sleep, but these people (including kids) kept talking and walking around all night long, so it kept me alert..
Have you been to Frankfurt Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Frankfurt airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Luxx Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, Landside, Departure Hall B/C, Gallery Level. Showers are available ($). Hours: 6:00AM - 9:30PM. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€30.00 ) • Book Online (£25.00) • Priority Pass.
- Sky Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, Airside, Pier D, 3rd Floor Transit Area, Gate D8. Showers are available. Hours: 6:15AM - 9:00PM. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€30.00) • Book Online (£25.00) • Priority Pass.
Additionally there are many Airline Lounges: Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge •Air France Lounge • Cathay Pacific First Class Lounge • DB Lounge • Emirates Lounge • Ethiad Lounge • Frankfurt Airport Club • Iberia Lounge • Japan Airlines Sakura Lounge • Lufthansa Senator Lounge • Lufthansa Business Lounge West • Lufthansa Business Lounge Ost • Lufthansa First Class Lounge • Lufthansa Welcome Lounge • Vip Lounge
Free WiFi is available at Frankfurt Airport for an unlimited amount of time.
Additionally, you can can also surf the Internet at one of the Free Internet Points (sit-down terminals) or 100 Internet Towers (stand-up terminals). Rate: € 4.95 per 60 minutes.
If sleeping in Frankfurt Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Sheraton Hotel Airport Hotel - Connected to Terminal 1 (Departure Hall A and C) via covered pedestrian bridge
- Hilton Garden Inn - Located above the ICE railway station and next to Hilton Frankfurt Airport, the hotel is connected to Terminal 1 via pedestrian skywalk.
- Hilton Frankfurt Airport - Located above the ICE railway station and next to Hilton Garden Inn, the hotel is connected to Terminal 1 via pedestrian skywalk.
- Park Inn by Radisson - (4 min from the airport) Located 800 meters from Terminal 2. Free airport shuttle runs between the hotel and both airport terminals every 30 minutes (5am to Midnight). Airport pick-up is free. Drop-off at the airport is 4 Euro per person and should be booked in advance.
- Steigenberger Airport Hotel - (20 min walk or 4 min ride from the airport) Free 24-hr Express Airport Shuttle bus service departs from Terminal 1 Arrival Area every 15 minutes. From 10pm to 4am, the shuttle departs every 20 minutes.
- Meininger Hotel Frankfurt Airport - Located at Gateway Gardens, within walking distance of Terminal 2. Airport shuttle runs every 30 minutes from 5am to Midnight from Terminal 2 only. Airport pick-up is free. Drop-off at the airport is 3,50 Euro per person and must be booked at check-in. Six-bed dorms are available for ages 18+ up (mixed or female-only).
To find a cheap room, Tripadvisor has a page for hotels near the Frankfurt Airport and you can sort hotels by price.
- Airport Experience Tours - Now this actually sounds like it might be interesting. Frankfurt airport offers a 45-minute "airport experience tour" which uniquely acquaints you with life at Frankfurt airport. The description says that "you will experience takeoffs and landings up close", but what I want to know is how close? The runway? Alternatively, you may go behind-the-scenes to look at the airport's famous fire brigade! Tours begin at 1pm, 2 pm, 3pm and 4 pm. (weekdays) and 11 am and 12 noon (weekends and holidays). Starting point: the pedestrian bridge between Terminal 1 and the Frankfurt Airport Center. Rate: € 8.00. No advance booking is required! Tickets can be purchased at the tour counter in the Airport City Mall Frankfurt in Terminal 1, Level 0. There are a number of other tours available: Maxi Tour (90 minutes), Fire Department Tour (105 minutes), and the Sunset Tour (120 minutes). These tours require reservations. Rates: 15,00 € - 25,00 € depending on the tour.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Cash machines are located throughout the terminal (landside and airside).
- Children's Play Areas - If you are travelling with children, here are a few areas (airside) to take them for some entertainment:
Terminal 1, Pier A, Level 2 (Departures), near Gate A50 • Terminal 1, Pier A, Level 3, near Gate Z24 • Terminal 1, Pier Z, Level 3, near Gate Z50 • Terminal 1, Pier B, Level 2, near Gate B22 • Terminal 1, Pier B, Level 2, near B44 • Terminal 1, Pier C, Level 2, near Gate C16 • Terminal 2, Pier D, Level 3, near Gate D1 • Terminal 2, Pier E, Level 3, near Gate E4.
- Casino - Play Roulette, Black Jack or the slot machines. Location: Terminal 1, Landside, Section C, Level 2. Hours: 7:00AM - 10:00PM
- Conference Centre - For you business travellers, the airport has office and meeting space available for rent, as well as interpreter service. Location: Terminal 1, Area FAC, Level 3. Hours: 7am - 930pm (Mon - Fri) • 9am - 6pm (Sat & Sun)
- Cots - In the event of bad weather or delays, this airport has a supply of cots for stranded travellers. An airport worker sent me this email "There indeed are cots on offer, however they are not available upon request by passenger or widely available throughout the airport. Only in the events of higher power like union strikes or extreme weather conditions FRA along with the civil arm of the national guard will provide the cots (literaly thousands of them meticulously scattered throughout the airport.) along with other amenities."
- Coupon Wall - If you are looking for deals and discounts on food and shopping at the airport, visit the Coupon Wall located in the Terminal 2 Shopping Plaza, Level 3. Hours: 10am - 7pm.
- Currency Exchange - available before and after security.
- Entertainment and Games - more slot machines, BigCash Club, Internet Terminals, computer games and more. Location: Terminal 1, Landside, Section B, Level 0. Hours: open 24 hours
Lunchtime Concerts - the airport has a lunchtime concert program on scheduled dates. Concerts are held in the Chapel, Terminal 1, Departures Hall B
- Flight Simulator - The flight simulator gives you the opportunity to take off and land at Frankfurt Airport or any of a thousand other airports around the world. An experienced commercial airline pilot is there to supervise. Rate: €79 per session includes instructions before you start.
- Food & Drinks - There are many food and beverage concessions at Frankfurt Airport. Below are the 24-hour food options:
»Terminal 1, Landside: Connection (Departure Hall B, Level 2) • Starbucks (Area B, Shopping Avenue, Level 2)
»Terminal 1, Airside: HUB/Convenience store (Area B, Level 3) • Quicker’s (Area B, Level 2)
»Terminal 2, Landside: McDonald’s (Area D, Flood Plaza, Level 4)
»Terminal 2, Airside: Quicker’s (Area E, Arrival Hall A, Level 1)
- Hairdresser - Location: Terminal 1, Pier C, Level 0, Airport City Mall Frankfurt. Hours: 8am - 8pm.
- Information Desk - In the transit zone, there are information desks in these locations: Terminal 1B, Level 2 (“Information 12”) • Terminal 1B, Level 3 (“Information 10”). There are also pre-security information desks in Terminal 1 B on the departures and arrivals levels and in Terminal 2 on the departures level. You can also use one of the many service telephones (dial 118) or ask the mobile service guides.
- Laundry - Dry Cleaning is available in Terminal 1, Pier C, Level 0, Airport City Mall Frankfurt. Hours: 7am - 8pm (Mon-Fri) and 9am - 5pm (Sat-Sun).
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Unload your heavy bags while you enjoy the airport. There are a few left luggage offices: Terminal 1, Pier B, Level 1 (Hours: open 24 hours) • Terminal 1, Pier B/C, Level 2 (Hours: 6:00AM - 10:00PM) • Terminal 2 (Pier D, Level 2) - Hours: 6:00AM - 10:00PM. Rates: € 7 (2 - 24 hours)
- Medical - If you require medical assistance, the following service may be of use to you:
»Airport Clinic - First Aid and medical care are available in Terminal 1, access via Pier B/C, Level 1. Hours: open 24 hours.
»Optician - Locations: Terminal 1, Pier B, Level 2, Shopping Avenue • Terminal 1, Pier A, Level 2 •Terminal 2, Pier D and E, Shopping Plaza. Hours: 6am or 7am - 10pm
»Pharmacy - Terminal 1, Pier B, Level 2 • Terminal 2, Pier D/E, Level 3 (near the SkyLine). Hours: 7am - 10pm
- Mobile Charging - There are many charging stations throughout the airport that you can use free of charge. You can also find power sockets in the Relaxation Zone.
- Prayer Rooms - Locations: Terminal 1, Airside, Pier B-West • Terminal 2, Pier D, Level 3. Hours: open 24 hours
- Relax Zones - Lounge style seats are available for transit passengers in the "Leisure Zones". Locations: Terminal 1, Airside, near Gate A50 • Terminal 1, Airside, near Gate B43 • Terminal 2, Airside, near Gates D1-4.
- Showers -
Towels, floor mat, shower gel and hair dryer are available in three areas of the airport. Rate: €6 /US$ 8. Hours: 6:00AM - 10:00PM. The airport's shower facilities are located in the following areas:
- Terminal 1, Landside, B Departures, Shopping Boulevard across from "TUMI" and the pharmacy.
- Terminal 1, Airside, Transit B, Level 3 opposite the "Lufthansa Senator Lounge", to the left of Kuffler and Bucher.
- Terminal 2, Airside, Pier D, Level 3, opposite security controls D 5-8.
- Smoking Areas - There are 6 smoking lounges where passengers can sit back and relax before a flight, free of charge. Locations: Terminal 1 Terminal 1: in Pier A near Gates A52 and A66, in Pier B near Gates B23 and B43, and in Pier Z near Gates Z52 and Z66. Hours: 24 hours a day. Smoking booths continue to be available both Landside and Airside.
- Spa - Be Relax offers massages and an oxygen bar. Location: Terminal 1, Area A, Level 2 • Terminal 1, Area Z, Level 3 • Terminal 2, Area D, Level 3 • Terminal 2, Area E, Level 3.
- Travelling with kids -
The following areas have kids play areas.
Terminal 1, A Pier, Level 2 (Departures) between gates A26 and A28 (after the passport check)
Terminal 2, E Pier, Level 2, to one side of entrance E9
Terminal 2, between the D and E Pier, Level 3 (Food Plaza, McDonald's)
- Visitor Terrace -
Watch the action in the apron area from the of the Visitors' Terrace. Location: Terminal 2. Hours: 10am - 6pm. Rate: €3
The airport is open 24 hours.
Airport Transportation: Ground Transportation
A large number of bus connections are available for getting to and from the airport. You'll find bus stops in front of Terminal 1 (Arrivals level) and Terminal 2 (Level 2). The following buses also leave from Terminal 2: 61 to Frankfurt South train station and 62 to Schwanheim "AIRliner" to Darmstadt.
Lufthansa Airport Buses
These leave Terminal 1 near to the Long-distance train station (Exit REWE). Tickets can be purchased online, by smartphone, in a travel office, or from a Lufthansa service center or ticket counter. It is not possible to buy tickets from the driver. Daily there are Lufthansa airport buses to and from Kaiserslautern, Saarbrücken, and Strassbourg, as well as a shuttle between Frankfurt Airport and Heidelberg.
Tickets for long-distance travel with German Rail (Deutsche Bahn). In the regional station in Terminal 1, B Concourse, Level 0 and the long-distance train station on Level 3 of the AIRail Terminal. Information and reservations available in both DB TravelCenters. For more details: www.bahn.de
Train to Plane
Rail & Fly lets you ride the train from anywhere in Germany at discount prices. To learn about the details, contact your airline, German Rail (Deutsche Bahn) or your travel agent.
You can leave from and return to any of more than 5,600 train stations in Germany; you can buy an e-ticket at any Deutsche Bahn ticket machine and you can check in and drop off your luggage in the AiRail Terminal at Frankfurt Airport. For more info visit the DB Bahn web site.
A sufficient number of taxis are available around the clock at both terminals.
In Terminal 1 you will find the following car rental companies in the A and B sections of Level 1 (Arrivals): Avis • Budget • Europcar • Hertz • National • Sixt and more. Location: Terminal 1, Pier A, Level 0, Airport City Mall Frankfurt and Terminal 2, Pier D, Level 2.
Airport Transportation: Getting Around
- The SkyLine Train connects Terminal 1 and 2. The stops are located at B Pier (Terminal 1) and between Pier D and E (Terminal 2). It departs every 2-3 minutes and only takes 2 minutes.
- There is also a bus shuttle stops in front of the terminals. It departs every 10 minutes.
- The SkyLine Train connects Terminal 1 and 2. The stops are located at Terminal 1 A (transit), Terminal 1 B and Terminal 2 between Pier D and E. It departs every 2-3 minutes and only takes 2 minutes.
- There is also a bus shuttle stop in front of the terminals. It departs every 10 minutes.
- If you need to go a long distance in a hurry, look for one of the blue-and-white Terminal Express cars that serve the entire transit zone. You can ride them free of charge.
- If you have less than 30 minutes to get to your connecting flight, you can use the fast lane at the security checkpoint.
We Need Your Feedback!
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Frankfurt Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2015 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2015.
- Write a Review - Please take a few minutes to write your airport review. Whether you provided a quick tip or a detailed review, you will be helping other travellers in a similar situation. Leave a guest review OR register for an account.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Last Updated: 30 March 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.