Frankfurt am Main Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Frankfurt Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
"I slept with my suitcase as a pillow, and I got woke up a couple times by a couple surges of arriving passengers. But after midnight it was dead quiet. " - Cybrie
Firstly, I thought I'd spend the night where I arrived, meaning terminal 1 concourses A and Z (well, they're sort of together) airside, and my departure was also from there. I felt all happy, because it was such a clean place and the chairs seemed perfect for sleeping being without armrests. Later on I learned through announcements that they're closing the whole concourse. And of course I was the only traveller still there. To make me even more nervous than I was, all the passport checkpoints seemed to be closed also. Finally some security people guided me to take the train to concourse B. I saw some people already sleeping there, so I felt relieved. And to make sure this part would stay opened, I asked one of the passport checkers to make sure of it. I settled in on one of the chairs. It was quiet until a bunch of people arrived to keep it noise all night long. I think they had missed a flight since they were served food and drinks. Otherwise it would have been a good night to sleep, but these people (including kids) kept talking and walking around all night long, so it kept me alert..
Have you been to Frankfurt Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Frankfurt airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Luxx Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, Landside, Departure Hall B/C, Gallery Level. Showers are available ($). Hours: 6:00AM - 9:30PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€30.00 ) • Book Online (£25.00) • Priority Pass.
- Sky Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, Airside, Concourse D, 3rd Floor Transit Area, Gate D8. Showers are available (€6). Hours: 6:15AM - 9:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€35.00) • Book Online (£28.00) • Priority Pass.
Additionally there are many Airline Lounges: Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge •Air France Lounge • Cathay Pacific First Class Lounge • DB Lounge • Emirates Lounge • Ethiad Lounge • Frankfurt Airport Club • Iberia Lounge • Japan Airlines Sakura Lounge • Lufthansa Senator Lounge • Lufthansa Business Lounge West • Lufthansa Business Lounge Ost • Lufthansa First Class Lounge • Lufthansa Welcome Lounge • Vip Lounge
Free WiFi is available at Frankfurt Airport for an unlimited amount of time. There are 300 access points located around the terminals. Connect to the "Telekom hotspot" network.
Additionally, you can can also surf the Internet at one of the Free Internet Points (sit-down terminals) or 100 Internet Towers (stand-up terminals). Rate: € 4.95 per 60 minutes.
If sleeping in Frankfurt Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Sheraton Hotel Airport Hotel - Connected to Terminal 1 (Departure Hall A and C) via covered pedestrian bridge
- Hilton Garden Inn - Located above the ICE railway station and next to Hilton Frankfurt Airport, the hotel is connected to Terminal 1 via pedestrian skywalk.
- Hilton Frankfurt Airport - Located above the ICE railway station and next to Hilton Garden Inn, the hotel is connected to Terminal 1 via pedestrian skywalk.
- Park Inn by Radisson - (4 min from the airport) Located 800 meters from Terminal 2. Free airport shuttle runs between the hotel and both airport terminals every 30 minutes (5:00AM to Midnight). Airport pick-up is free. Drop-off at the airport is 4 Euro per person and should be booked in advance.
- Steigenberger Airport Hotel - (20 min walk or 4 min ride from the airport) Free 24-hr Express Airport Shuttle bus service departs from Terminal 1 Arrival Area every 15 minutes. From 10:00PM to 4:00AM, the shuttle departs every 20 minutes.
- Meininger Hotel Frankfurt Airport - Located at Gateway Gardens, within walking distance of Terminal 2. Airport shuttle runs every 30 minutes from 5:00AM to Midnight from Terminal 2 only. Airport pick-up is free. Drop-off at the airport is 3,50 Euro per person and must be booked at check-in. Six-bed dorms are available for ages 18+ up (mixed or female-only).
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near the Frankfurt Airport on Tripadvisor that be sorted by price.
- Airport Experience Tours - Now this actually sounds like it might be interesting. Frankfurt airport offers a 45-minute "airport experience tour" which uniquely acquaints you with life at Frankfurt airport. The description says that "you will experience takeoffs and landings up close", but what I want to know is how close? The runway? Alternatively, you may go behind-the-scenes to look at the airport's famous fire brigade! Tours begin at 1:00PM, 2:00PM, 3:00PM and 4:00PM. (weekdays) and 11:00AM and 12:00PM (weekends and holidays). Starting point: the pedestrian bridge between Terminal 1 and the Frankfurt Airport Center. Rate: € 8.00. No advance booking is required! Tickets can be purchased at the tour counter in the Airport City Mall Frankfurt in Terminal 1, Level 0. There are a number of other tours available: Maxi Tour (90 minutes), Fire Department Tour (105 minutes), and the Sunset Tour (120 minutes). These tours require reservations. Rates: 15,00 € - 25,00 € depending on the tour.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Cash machines are located throughout the terminal (landside and airside).
- Children's Play Areas - If you are travelling with children, here are a few areas (airside) to take them for some entertainment:
Terminal 1, Concourse A, Level 2 (Departures), near Gate A50 • Terminal 1, Concourse A, Level 3, near Gate Z24 • Terminal 1, Concourse Z, Level 3, near Gate Z50 • Terminal 1, Concourse B, Level 2, near Gate B22 • Terminal 1, Concourse B, Level 2, near B44 • Terminal 1, Concourse C, Level 2, near Gate C16 • Terminal 2, Concourse D, Level 3, near Gate D1 • Terminal 2, Concourse E, Level 3, near Gate E4.
- Casino - Play Roulette, Black Jack or the slot machines. Location: Terminal 1, Landside, Section C, Level 2. Hours: 7:00AM - 10:00PM
- Conference Centre - For you business travellers, the airport has office and meeting space available for rent, as well as interpreter service. Location: Terminal 1, Area FAC, Level 3. Hours: 7:00AM - 9:30PM (Mon - Fri) • 9:00AM - 6:00PM (Sat & Sun)
- Cots - In the event of bad weather or delays, this airport has a supply of cots for stranded travellers. An airport worker sent me this email "There indeed are cots on offer, however they are not available upon request by passenger or widely available throughout the airport. Only in the events of higher power like union strikes or extreme weather conditions FRA along with the civil arm of the national guard will provide the cots (literaly thousands of them meticulously scattered throughout the airport.) along with other amenities."
- Coupon Wall - If you are looking for deals and discounts on food and shopping at the airport, visit the Coupon Wall located in the Terminal 2 Shopping Plaza, Level 3. Hours: 10:00AM - 7:00PM.
- Currency Exchange - available before and after security.
- Entertainment and Games - more slot machines, BigCash Club, Internet Terminals, computer games and more. Location: Terminal 1, Landside, Section B, Level 0. Hours: open 24 hours
Lunchtime Concerts - the airport has a lunchtime concert program on scheduled dates. Concerts are held in the Chapel, Terminal 1, Departures Hall B
- Flight Simulator - The flight simulator gives you the opportunity to take off and land at Frankfurt Airport or any of a thousand other airports around the world. An experienced commercial airline pilot is there to supervise. Rate: €79 per session includes instructions before you start.
- Food & Drinks - There are many food and beverage concessions at Frankfurt Airport. Below are the 24-hour food options:
»Terminal 1, Landside: Connection (Departure Hall B, Level 2) • Starbucks (Area B, Shopping Avenue, Level 2)
»Terminal 1, Airside: HUB/Convenience store (Area B, Level 3) • Quicker’s (Area B, Level 2)
»Terminal 2, Landside: McDonald’s (Area D, Flood Plaza, Level 4)
»Terminal 2, Airside: Quicker’s (Area E, Arrival Hall A, Level 1)
- Hairdresser - Location: Terminal 1, Concourse C, Level 0, Airport City Mall Frankfurt. Hours: 8:00AM - 8:00PM.
- Information Desk - In the transit zone, there are information desks in these locations: Terminal 1B, Level 2 (“Information 12”) • Terminal 1B, Level 3 (“Information 10”). There are also pre-security information desks in Terminal 1 B on the departures and arrivals levels and in Terminal 2 on the departures level. You can also use one of the many service telephones (dial 118) or ask the mobile service guides.
- Laundry - Dry Cleaning is available in Terminal 1, Concourse C, Level 0, Airport City Mall Frankfurt. Hours: 7:00AM - 8:00PM (Mon-Fri) and 9:00AM - 5:00PM (Sat-Sun).
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Unload your heavy bags while you enjoy the airport. There are a few left luggage offices: Terminal 1, Concourse B, Level 1 (Hours: open 24 hours) • Terminal 1, Concourse B/C, Level 2 (Hours: 6:00AM - 10:00PM) • Terminal 2 (Concourse D, Level 2) - Hours: 6:00AM - 10:00PM. Rates: € 7 (2 - 24 hours)
- Medical - If you require medical assistance, the following service may be of use to you:
»Airport Clinic - First Aid and medical care are available in Terminal 1, access via Concourse B/C, Level 1. Hours: open 24 hours.
»Optician - Locations: Terminal 1, Concourse B, Level 2, Shopping Avenue • Terminal 1, Concourse A, Level 2 •Terminal 2, Concourse D and E, Shopping Plaza. Hours: 6:00AM or 7:00AM - 10:00PM.
»Pharmacy - Terminal 1, Concourse B, Level 2 • Terminal 2, Concourse D/E, Level 3 (near the SkyLine). Hours: 7:00AM - 10:00PM.
- Mobile Charging - There are over many charging stations throughout the airport that you can use free of charge. There are reportedly 5000 power sockets and USB ports throughout the airport for travellers to recharge their laptops and cell phones.
- Pharmacy - Metropolitan Pharmacy - Locations: Terminal 1, Area B, Level 2, Shopping Boulevard (Hours: 6:00AM - 9:00PM) • Terminal 2, Area D, Level 3, Shopping Plaza. (Hours: 7:00AM - 9:00AM)
- Prayer Rooms - Locations: Terminal 1, Airside, Concourse B-West • Terminal 2, Concourse D, Level 3. Hours: open 24 hours
- Post Office - Deutsche Post - Location: Terminal 1, Area B, Level 1.
- Relax Zones - Lounge style seats are available for transit passengers in the "Leisure Zones". Locations: Terminal 1, Airside, near Gate A26 • Terminal 1, Airside, near Gate A50 • Terminal 1, Airside, near Gate B43 • Terminal 2, Airside, near Gates D1-4.
- Showers -
Towels, floor mat, shower gel and hair dryer are available in five areas of the airport. Rate: €6 /US$ 8. Hours: 6:00AM - 10:00PM. The airport's shower facilities are located in the following areas:
- Terminal 1, Landside, B Departures, Shopping Boulevard across from "TUMI" and the pharmacy.
- Terminal 1, Airside, Transit B, Level 3 opposite the "Lufthansa Senator Lounge", to the left of Kuffler and Bucher.
- Terminal 1, Concourse A, Level 2
- Terminal 1, Concourse Z, Level 3, across from the children's playground
- Terminal 2, Airside, Concourse D, Level 3, opposite security controls D 5-8.
- Smoking Areas - There are 6 smoking lounges where passengers can sit back and relax before a flight, free of charge. Locations: Terminal 1 Terminal 1: in Concourse A near Gates A52 and A66, in Concourse B near Gates B23 and B43, and in Concourse Z near Gates Z52 and Z66. Hours: 24 hours a day. Smoking booths continue to be available both Landside and Airside.
- Spa - Be Relax offers massages and an oxygen bar. Location: Terminal 1, Area A, Level 2 • Terminal 1, Area Z, Level 3 • Terminal 2, Area D, Level 3 • Terminal 2, Area E, Level 3.
- Travelling with kids -
The following areas have kids play areas.
Terminal 1, Concourse A, Level 2 (Departures) between gates A26 and A28 (after the passport check)
Terminal 2, Concourse E, Level 2, to one side of entrance E9
Terminal 2, between Concourse D and E, Level 3 (Food Plaza, McDonald's)
- Visitor Terrace - Watch the action in the apron area from the of the Visitors' Terrace. Location: Terminal 2. Hours: 10:00AM - 6:00PM. Rate: €3
- Yoga Room - Two yoga rooms opened in January 2016. The rooms feature floor to ceiling mirrors, subdued lighting, yoga mats, blocks, cushions and pads, and videos on monitors that demonstrate various poses. Locations: Terminal 1, Airside, near Gates C14 and C16 • Terminal 2, Airside, near Gates D1 and D4. Hours: open 24 hours.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Frankfurt Airport is served by several bus connections. Most bus stops are located in front of Terminal 1 (Arrivals Level), but buses 61 and 62, Flughafen Hahn shuttle service to Hahn Airport and the AIRliner to Darmstadt leave from Terminal 2 (Level 2).
For a comfortable and airline passenger-specific bus service, consider Lufthansa Airport Bus Service. Passengers traveling with any airline can use the frequent services of a Lufthansa Airport bus, and take advantage of the special check-in facilities available to passengers of this service.
The following car rental agencies can be found in the Airport City Mall, Section A, Level 1 Arrivals: Advantage, Alamo, Avis, Budget, Enterprise, Europcar, Hertz, National and Sixt.
The car rental agencies in Terminal 2, Level 2 Arrivals (D section) are: Advantage, Avis, Alamo, Buchbinder, Budget, Enterprise, Global Drive, Europcar, Hertz, National and Sixt.
Car sharing is an economical and eco-friendly way to rent a car for a brief period. Car sharing stations are located throughout the city, and are open 24 hours a day. Vehicles can be picked up at one station and dropped off at another. Car2Go and Book-N-Drive have vehicles available for use from Frankfurt Airport on the Arrivals Level, Parking Area P29 next to Terminal 1 section A. Please visit their respective websites for details and rates.
Some area hotels provide courtesy shuttle service for their guests. The hotel shuttle stop is located outside of Terminal 1 (B Concourse, Level 1 Arrivals). Contact your hotel of choice for information on their shuttle services. The following hotels offer airport shuttle service: Achat Comfort Hotel • Holiday Inn Express Frankfurt - Airport • Holiday Inn Frankfurt Airport - Neu Isenburg • InterCityHotel Frankfurt Airport • Meininger Hotel Frankfurt/Main Airport • Mercure Hotel Frankfurt Airport • Mercure Hotel Wings Frankfurt Airport • NH Frankfurt Airport • NH Frankfurt Airport West • NH Frankfurt Moerfelden Conference Center • Park Inn by Radisson Frankfurt Airport • Ramada Hotel Frankfurt Airport West • Steigenberger Airport Hotel • Steigenberger Frankfurt Langen • TOP Hotel Post Airport.
The free SkyLine train connects the two terminals in a quick 2-minute trip. Trains depart every 2 - 3 minutes, stopping at Terminal 1 Concourse A/Z (only for passengers with boarding passes), Terminal 1 Hall B and Terminal 2 between Halls D/E. The airport also operates a free shuttle bus service between the two terminals (total trip time 7 - 10 minutes). Buses run in 10 minute intervals.
Taxis are readily available 24 hours a day at both terminals.
Local Trains - Tickets and information for local trains are available at the RMV Mobility Center (Mobilitätszentrale) in the DB TravelCenter (Reisezentrum) located in the regional train station at Terminal 1, B Concourse, Level 0. Ticket vending machines are also available in Terminal 1, Level 0. Frankfurt Airport DB TravelCenters are open daily from 7:00AM - 10:00PM. For schedules and fares, visit the RMV website.
Regional & International Trains - Tickets for long-distance and international trains can be purchased at the DB TravelCenters or ticket vending machines located in the regional train station (Terminal 1, B Concourse, Level 0) and the long-distance train station on Level 3 of the AIRail terminal. For more information on long-distance trains from Frankfurt, visit the DB Bahn website.
Rail&Fly allows you to travel from anywhere in Germany to airports in Germany, Zurich, Basel, Salzburg, Brussels and Amsterdam via most DB (Deutsche Bahn) trains (including ICE). Tickets are valid on the day before your flight departure, day of flight departure, day of your return flight and the day after your return flight. For more information , visit the DB Bahn website.
AIRail service provides a convenient and hassle-free way to travel to and from the airport by long-distance train. If traveling by ICE train from qualifying stations, you can drop off your bags and check-in for your flight (participating airlines only) at the AIRail terminal located nearby. AIRail service also available for return flights back to Germany. Train schedules coordinate with Lufthansa flights, providing a fast and easy transfer to the airport. For more information about AIRail, visit the DB Bahn website.
Airport Transportation: Getting Around The Airport
- The SkyLine Train connects Terminal 1 and 2. The stops are located at Concourse B (Terminal 1) and between Concourse D and E (Terminal 2). It departs every 2-3 minutes and only takes 2 minutes.
- There is also a bus shuttle stops in front of the terminals. It departs every 10 minutes.
- The SkyLine Train connects Terminal 1 and 2. The stops are located at Terminal 1 A (transit), Terminal 1 B and Terminal 2 between Concourse D and E. It departs every 2-3 minutes and only takes 2 minutes.
- There is also a bus shuttle stop in front of the terminals. It departs every 10 minutes.
- If you need to go a long distance in a hurry, look for one of the blue-and-white Terminal Express cars that serve the entire transit zone. You can ride them free of charge.
- If you have less than 30 minutes to get to your connecting flight, you can use the fast lane at the security checkpoint.
Last Updated: 23 July 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.