Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Frankfurt Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
I slept with my suitcase as a pillow, and I got woke up a couple times by a couple surges of arriving passengers. But after midnight it was dead quiet. – Cybrie
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Frankfurt Airport.
What to Expect
Frankfurt Airport is massive and its layout can be confusing. Terminal 1 services Concourses A, B, C and Z, while Terminal 2 hosts Concourses D and E. Passengers can transit between terminals free of charge via SkyLine train or shuttle bus. There are plenty of shops, duty free outlets, dining and assorted services throughout the airport (see guide below), including some 24-hour eateries. The airport provides free WiFi to help pass the time. Showers facilities are available for a fee in both terminals. For additional comfort, economy class passengers can access a few of the lounges by purchasing a day pass. See our Airport Lounges section for locations and access information.
Where to Sleep
Reviewers rate the airport as safe and generally sleep friendly, though safety is likely a result of heavy security presence, which may mean being woken up for a passport/ticket check. Seating is a mix of armests or no armrests. You may need to explore a bit before settling in. There are also reclining lounge-style seats with foot rests in rest zones throughout the airport. Terminal 1’s Concourse B appears to be the most popular spot for sleeping, though this may be because Concourses A, C and Z close at night. At least one reviewer cited Terminal 1’s “Movie World” as being comfortable. Terminal 2’s landside has been cited as having comfortable arm-rest free seating. Cots have been spotted in Terminal C, Airside near Gate C. Staff don’t tell travellers about these, so you may need to ask. Explore our guide to sleeping in Frankfurt Airport or read some traveller reviews for more tips. If none of this sounds like an experience you would like to have (and you don’t mind paying for privacy and comfort), there is a transit hotel in Terminal 1 that allows international passengers (with at least one Non-Schengen Flight) to check in without leaving the transit area. There are also 3 on-site airport hotels connected to Terminal 1, and several other nearby airport hotels within a quick shuttle ride. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Have you already been to this airport? Write a review and share photos from your own experience.
For more airport information continue scrolling down to explore more in our Frankfurt Airport Guide.
Coronavirus update: You can read the airport’s COVID-19 (Coronavirus) update here.
Coronavirus update: You can read the airport’s COVID-19 (Coronavirus) update here.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security. Due to the current Covid-19 pandemic, all services and times listed below are subject to change.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge – Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Concourse B, Level 3. Lounge Access: Lounge membership programs.
LuxxLounge – Location: Terminal 1, Landside, Departure Hall B/C, Gallery Level. Showers are available ($). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Lounge membership programs.
Passes Air France Lounge – Location: Terminal 2, Airside, Level 2, Hall D, Schengen Area, opposite Gate D26. Lounge Access: Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
Passes Premium Traveller Lounge – Location: Terminal 2, Airside, Concourse D, Level 2, near Gate 26. Lounge Access: Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
Passes Primeclass Lounge – Location: Terminal 2, Airside, Concourse E, non-Schengen Area, near Gate E7. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Lounge membership programs.
Passes Priority Lounge – Location: Terminal 2, Airside, Level 3, Concourse E, near Gates E5-E9. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
Passes Sky Lounge – Location: Terminal 2, Airside, Concourse D, 3rd Floor Transit Area, Gate D8. Showers are available (€6). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
If you are a First or Business Class traveller you may have access to the lounges listed below. For more information, check the airline’s website. Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge • Air France Lounge • Cathay Pacific First Class Lounge • DB Lounge • Emirates Lounge • Frankfurt Airport Club • Iberia Lounge • Japan Airlines Sakura Lounge • Lufthansa Senator Lounge • Lufthansa Business Lounge (B44) • Lufthansa Business Lounge (B24) • Lufthansa First Class Lounge • Lufthansa Welcome Lounge • Vip Lounge.
Related Pages: Frankfurt Airport Lounges
If sleeping in Frankfurt Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
In Transit My Cloud Transit Hotel – Located in the transit area of Terminal 1, Gate Z25, Non-Schengen area. To access the hotel you need to have a ticket for a flight to or from a country outside the Schengen area. This transit hotel offers 59 rooms (10 square meters) with bed, desk, wifi, private washroom and shower. Rooms can be booked by the hour with a minimum stay of 3 hours. Rates start at 110,00€ (3 hours – inside room/no window) or 125,00€ (3 hours – with window). The maximum booking time is 24 hours and check-in is available between 5:00AM and 10:00PM only.
At Airport Sheraton Frankfurt Airport Hotel – Connected to Terminal 1 (Departure Hall A and C) via covered pedestrian bridge. A reader has confirmed (June 2019) that the “Day Use Rate” is available from 8:00AM – 6:00PM. Rates from 99,00 €.
At Airport Hilton Garden Inn – Located above the ICE railway station and next to Hilton Frankfurt Airport. The hotel is connected to Terminal 1 via the pedestrian skywalk. Day rooms are available 8:00AM – 6:00PM depending on availability, prices starting at 89,00€.
At Airport Hilton Frankfurt Airport – Located above the ICE railway station and next to Hilton Garden Inn, the hotel is connected to Terminal 1 via pedestrian skywalk.
Near Airport Park Inn by Radisson – (4 minutes from the airport) Located 800 meters from Terminal 2. Free airport shuttle runs between the hotel and both airport terminals every 30 minutes (5:00AM to Midnight).
Near Airport Steigenberger Airport Hotel – (4 minutes from the airport) Free 24-hour airport shuttle bus departs from Terminal 1 (Exit B) and Terminal 2 (Exit E) every 20 minutes.
Near Airport Meininger Hotel Frankfurt Airport – (4 minutes from the airport) Located at Gateway Gardens, within walking distance of Terminal 2. Free airport transfer from the airport to the hotel. Paid shuttle from the hotel to airport is Euro 3,50 per person. The airport shuttle runs every 30 minutes from 5:10AM to 11:40PM.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Frankfurt Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Frankfurt Airport for an unlimited amount of time. There are 300 access points located around the terminals. Connect to the “Frankfurt Airport” network. If you travel through this airport often, you can set-up permanent account by clicking on the link in the confirmation message.
Additionally, you can also surf the Internet at one of the Internet Lounges. Locations: Terminal 1, Hall B, Level 1 • Terminal 1, Hall A, Level 1. There are also free Internet Points (sit-down terminals) or 100 Internet Towers (stand-up terminals). Rate: € 4.95 per 60 minutes.
- Conference Centre – For you business travellers, the airport has office and meeting space available for rent, as well as interpreter service. Location: Terminal 1, Area FAC, Level 3. Hours: 7:00AM – 9:30PM (Mon – Fri) • 9:00AM – 6:00PM (Sat & Sun).
- Post Office – Send your last minute postcards to friends and family from the airport’s post office. Location: Terminal 1, Area B, Level 1. There are also several mailboxes located in Terminals 1 and 2.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – Baby changing facilities are available in all of the larger washroom facilities.
- Children’s Play Areas – When you want to ensure your kids burn off all their energy before their flight, take them to one of the children’s play areas. Locations:
- Terminal 1 – Concourse A, Level 2 (Departures), near Gate A50 • Concourse A, Level 3, near Gate Z24 • Concourse Z, Level 3, near Gate Z50 • Concourse B, Level 2, near Gate B22 • Concourse C, Level 2, near Gate C16.
- Terminal 2 – Concourse D, Level 3, near Gate D1 • Terminal 2 D, Level 2, near Gate 21 • Terminal 2 D/E, Level 4, at McDonald’s • Concourse E, Level 3, near Gate E4.
- Strollers – The airport supplies free strollers. Pick up points: Terminal 1, Service Point, Landside, Concourse B • Terminal 1, Information counter No.10 in Transit B zone (for arriving passengers) • Terminal 2, Service Point between Concourses D and E.
- Yoga Room – Relax or stretch in between flights at one of Frankfurt airport’s two yoga rooms. The rooms feature floor to ceiling mirrors, subdued lighting, yoga mats, blocks, cushions and pads, and videos on monitors that demonstrate various poses. Locations: Terminal 1, Airside, near Gates C14 and C16 • Terminal 2, Airside, near Gates D1 and D4. Hours: open 24 hours.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – There are many food and beverage concessions at Frankfurt Airport. Below are the 24-hour food options:
- Terminal 1, Landside: Landside: Scoom (Area A, Level 2) • Scoom (Area B, Level 0) • Quicker’s (Area B, Level 2).
- Terminal 1, Airside: Bistrot Frankfurt Airport (Concourse B) • HUB/Convenience store (Area B, Level 3) • HUB/Convenience store (Area C, Level 2) • Mondo Caffe Bar (Area C, Level 2) • Mondo Mobil (Area C, Level 2).
- Terminal 2, Landside: Quicker’s (Area E, Level 2).
- Terminal 2, Airside: Ludwig’s (Area D, Level 4) • McDonald’s (Area D, Level 4).
- Information Desk – In the transit zone, there are information desks in these locations: Terminal 1B, Level 2 (“Information 12”) • Terminal 1B, Level 3 (“Information 10”). There are also pre-security information desks in Terminal 1 B on the departures and arrivals levels and in Terminal 2 on the departures level. You can also use one of the many service telephones (dial 118) or ask the mobile service guides.
- Baggage Carts – Need a hand with your luggage? Baggage carts are available for a fee. Rate: €1,00.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Unload your heavy bags during your layover. There are a few left luggage offices: Terminal 1, Concourse B, Level 1 (Hours: open 24 hours) • Terminal 1, Concourse B/C, Level 2 (Hours: 6:00AM – 10:00PM) • Terminal 2 (Concourse D, Level 2) – Hours: 6:00AM – 10:00PM. Rates: Clothing items for €2,00/24 hrs (a winter jacket can be stored for €0,50) • Documents for €4,00/24 hrs • Regular suitcase for €5,00/up to 3 hours or €8,00/24hrs • Bulky suitcase for €11,00/up to 3 hours or €15,00/hrs.
- Luggage Wrapping – Protect your bags from theft and damage by having your bags wrapped in plastic. Locations: Terminal 1, Landside, Areas A & C • Terminal 2, Landside, Areas D & E • as well at the Luggage Storage centers.
- Medical Services – If you require medical assistance, the following service may be of use to you:
- Airport Clinic – First Aid and medical care are available in Terminal 1, access via Concourse B/C, Level 1. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Optician – Locations: Terminal 1, Concourse B, Level 2, Shopping Avenue • Terminal 1, Concourse A, Level 2 • Terminal 2, Concourse D and E, Shopping Plaza. Hours: 6:00AM or 7:00AM – 10:00PM.
- Pharmacy – Metropolitan Pharmacy – Locations: Terminal 1, Area B, Level 2, Shopping Boulevard (Hours: 6:30AM – 9:00PM) • Terminal 2, Pier Z, Level 3, near Gate Z13 (Hours: 6:30AM – 9:30AM).• Terminal 2, Area D, Level 3, Shopping Plaza (Hours: 7:00AM – 9:00AM). If you are in Transit, it is possible to call in prescriptions, seek assistance at Counter 10.
- Mobile Charging – There are reportedly 5000 power sockets and USB ports throughout the airport for travellers to recharge their laptops and cell phones. The airport also now features bistro-style workbenches with bar stools in almost all gate areas, these include; power outlets, USB ports, inductive power stations (no need for a cable to charge that phone or tablet) and under each table a shelf and hooks for hanging up your belongings.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Landside and Airside.
- Currency Exchange – ICE and Travelex offer almost 20 locations at the airport. Most of the ICE Currency Offices operate 24 hours a day. Locations are available both Landside and Airside.
- Prayer Rooms – Need a moment for prayer? The following prayer rooms are available:
- Terminal 1, Concourse B, Gallery (Christian and Muslim)
- Terminal 1, Concourse C, next to Counter 731 (Jewish)
- Terminal 1 B, Level 2, near Gate B22 (Christian, Muslim and Jewish)
- Terminal 1 Z, Level 3, Room of Silence (Undenominational)
- Terminal 2 D, Level 3, near Gate D1 (Christian, Muslim and Jewish)
- Terminal 2 E, Arrival area, Level 2 (Muslim)
Rest & Relaxation
- Cots – In the event of bad weather or massive flight cancellations, this airport has a supply of cots for stranded travellers. If you are stranded during a weather delay, contact an airport employee to find out when the cots are located. Unfortunately, the cots are not available for travellers who simply decide to spend the night in the airport. Due to the amount of wacky email we receive about this, we’ll also let you know that cots cannot be “reserved” and we don’t know where they are kept. Please speak to a gate agent or an airport employee. An airport worker sent me this email “There indeed are cots on offer; however they are not available upon request by passenger or widely available throughout the airport. Only in the events of higher power like union strikes or extreme weather conditions FRA along with the civil arm of the national guard will provide the cots (literally thousands of them meticulously scattered throughout the airport.) along with other amenities.”
- Hotels – see Airport Hotels above.
- Lounges – see Airport Lounges above.
- Rest Zones – Lounge style seats are available for transit passengers in the “Leisure Zones”. Locations:
- Terminal 1 – Airside: near Gate A26 • near Gate A50 • near Gate B43 • near Gate Z11.
- Terminal 2 – Airside: near Gate D1 to D4 • near Gate E2 to E5.
Take precaution even when sleeping in the rest zones. In December 2019, a traveller at another airport reported that money and credit cards had been stolen from their bag even though the bag was right beside them. Protect and lock your bags as you would sleeping elsewhere in public.
- Duty Free & Shopping – Duty Free is available, many locations are open 24 hours, as well as plenty of other shops selling just about everything you could need. Hub Convenience is open 24 hours in Terminal 1, Concourse B • Terminal 1, Concourse C.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Hair Salon – If you need a trim, stop by kpOchs Friseure, which offers hair and grooming services for both men and women. Location: Terminal 1, Area B, Level 2. Hours: 8:00AM – 8:00PM.
- Showers – Towels, floor mat, shower gel and hair dryer are available in five areas of the airport. Rate: €6 /US$ 8. Hours: 6:00AM – 11:00PM except the B locations which are open 5:00AM – 11:00PM. The airport’s shower facilities are located in the following areas:
- Terminal 1, Landside, B Departures, Shopping Boulevard across from the Virgin store and the pharmacy.
- Terminal 1, Airside, Transit B, Level 3 opposite the “Lufthansa Senator Lounge”, to the left of Kuffler and Bucher.
- Terminal 1, Airside, Concourse A, Level 2, across from Gate A 50.
- Terminal 1, Airside, Concourse Z, Level 3, across from the children’s playground.
- Terminal 2, Airside, Concourse D, Level 3, opposite security controls D 5-8.
- Several lounges also have shower facilities. See our Airport Lounges above for details.
- Spa – Be Relax offers massages and an oxygen bar. Location: Terminal 1, Area A, Level 2 • Terminal 1, Area Z, Level 3.
- Smoking Areas – There are smoking lounges where passengers can sit back and relax before a flight, free of charge. Locations: Terminal 1 offers 10 locations and Terminal 2 offers 4 locations. Hours: 24 hours a day. Smoking booths continue to be available both Landside and Airside.
Things to do & see
- Airport Experience Tours – Now this actually sounds like it might be interesting. Frankfurt airport offers a 45-minute “airport experience tour” which uniquely acquaints you with life at Frankfurt airport. The description says that “you will experience takeoffs and landings up close”, but what I want to know is how close? The runway? Alternatively, you may go behind-the-scenes to look at the airport’s famous fire brigade! Tours begin at 1:00PM and 3:00PM (weekdays) and every hour between 10:00AM and 4:00PM (weekends and holidays). Starting point: the pedestrian bridge between Terminal 1 and the Frankfurt Airport Center. Rate: € 7.00. No advance booking is required! Tickets can be purchased at the tour counter in the Airport City Mall Frankfurt in Terminal 1, Level 0. There are a number of other tours available: Maxi Tour (90 minutes), Fire Department Tour (105 minutes), and the Sunset Tour (120 minutes). These tours require reservations. Rates: 17,00 € – 19,00 € depending on the tour.
- Casino – Play Roulette, Black Jack or the slot machines. Location: Terminal 1, Landside, Section C, Level 2. Hours: 7:00AM – 10:00PM.
- Entertainment and Games – Enjoy more slot machines, BigCash Club, Internet Terminals, computer games and more. Location: Terminal 1, Landside, Section B, Level 0. Hours: open 24 hours
- Lunchtime Concerts – the airport has a lunchtime concert program on scheduled dates. Concerts are held in the Chapel, Terminal 1, Departures Hall B.
- Gaming World – Play videos games verus the game machine or other passengers. Location: Terminal 1 – Area A, opposite Gate A52 • between Gate Z54 and Z56.
- Flight Simulator -The flight simulator gives you the opportunity to take off and land at Frankfurt Airport or any of a thousand other airports around the world. An experienced commercial airline pilot is there to supervise. Rate: €99 per session includes instructions before you start.
- Movie World – Relax in comfy chairs and watch a full length movie or documentary for free. Multiple languages are available. Locations: Terminal 1 – Area A, Level 2 • Area B, Level 2 • Area Z, Level 3.
- Visitor Terrace – Watch the action in the apron area from the of the Visitors’ Terrace. Location: Terminal 2. Hours: 10:00AM – 6:00PM. Rate: €3
Other Airport Services
- Coupon Wall – If you are looking for deals and discounts on food and shopping at the airport, visit the Coupon Wall located in the Terminal 2 Shopping Plaza, Level 3. Hours: 10:00AM – 7:00PM.
- Laundry – Dry Cleaning is available in Terminal 1, Concourse C, Level 0, Airport City Mall Frankfurt. Hours: 7:00AM – 8:00PM (Mon-Fri) and 9:00AM – 5:00PM (Sat-Sun).
The airport is open 24 hours.
Frankfurt Airport is served by the following airlines: Aegean Airlines • Aer Lingus • Aeroflot • Air Algérie • Air Astana • Air Cairo • Air Canada • Air China • Air Dolomiti • Air Europa • Air France • Air India • Air Malta • Air Moldova • Air Namibia • Air Serbia • airBaltic • Alitalia • American Airlines • ANA • Asiana • Austrian Airways • Azores Airline • Belavia • British Airways • Bulgaria Air • Cathay Pacific • China Airlines • China Eastern • China Southern • Condor • Corendon • Croatia Airlines • Czech Airlines • Delta • easyJet • EgyptAir • EL AL • Emirates • Ethiopian Airlines • Etihad Airlines • Eurowings • Finnair • Freebird Airlines • Gulf Air • Iberia • Icelandair • IranAir • Iraqi Airways • JAL Japan Airlines • KLM • Korean Air • Kuwait Airways • LATAM • LOT • Lufthansa • Middle East Airlines • Montenegro Airlines • Oman Air • Onur Air • Pegasus Airlines • Qatar Airways • Royal Air Maroc • Royal Jordanian Airlines • Ryanair • SAS • Saudia • Singapore Airlines • Somon Air • South African Airways • SunExpress • Swiss • TAP • TAROM • Thai Airways • TUI Fly • Tunisair • Turkish Airlines • Turkmenistan • Ukraine International • United Airlines • Uzbekistan Airways • Vietnam Airlines • Wizz Air.
Frankfurt Airport is served by several bus connections. Most bus stops are located in front of Terminal 1 (Arrivals Level), but buses 61 and 62, Flughafen Hahn shuttle service to Hahn Airport and the AIRliner to Darmstadt leave from Terminal 2 (Level 2). For a comfortable and airline passenger-specific bus service, consider Lufthansa Airport Bus Service. Passengers traveling with any airline can use the frequent services of a Lufthansa Airport bus, and take advantage of the special check-in facilities available to passengers of this service.
The following car rental agencies can be found in the Airport City Mall, Section A, Level 1 Arrivals: Advantage • Alamo • Avis • Budget • Enterprise • Europcar • Hertz • National • Sixt. The car rental agencies in Terminal 2, Level 2 Arrivals (D section) are: Advantage • Avis • Alamo • Buchbinder • Budget • Enterprise • Global Drive • Europcar • Hertz • National • Sixt.
Car sharing is an economical and eco-friendly way to rent a car for a brief period. Car2Go and Book-N-Drive have vehicles available for use from Frankfurt Airport on the Arrivals Level, Parking Area P29 next to Terminal 1 section A. Please visit their respective websites for details and rates.
Some area hotels provide courtesy shuttle service for their guests. The hotel shuttle stop is located outside of Terminal 1 (B Concourse, Level 1 Arrivals). Contact your hotel of choice for information on their shuttle services. The following hotels offer airport shuttle service: Achat Comfort Hotel • Holiday Inn Express Frankfurt – Airport • Holiday Inn Frankfurt Airport – Neu Isenburg • InterCityHotel Frankfurt Airport • Meininger Hotel Frankfurt/Main Airport • Mercure Hotel Frankfurt Airport • NH Frankfurt Airport • NH Frankfurt Airport West • NH Frankfurt Moerfelden Conference Center • Park Inn by Radisson Frankfurt Airport • Steigenberger Airport Hotel • Steigenberger Frankfurt Langen • TOP Hotel Post Airport.
See also Airport Hotels above.
The free SkyLine train connects the two terminals in a quick 2-minute trip. Trains depart every 2 – 3 minutes. The airport also operates a free shuttle bus service between the two terminals (total trip time 7 – 10 minutes). Buses run in 10 minute intervals.
Taxis are readily available 24 hours a day at both terminals.
Local, Regional and International Trains can all be accessed from the Frankfurt Airport Railway Station. Tickets can be purchased at vending machines at or near the platforms, at the DB TravelCenter (Reisezentrum)in Terminal 1, Concourse B and online. To plan your route, visit the DB Bahn website. Rail&Fly allows you to travel from anywhere in Germany to airports in Germany, Zurich, Basel, Salzburg, Brussels and Amsterdam via most DB (Deutsche Bahn) trains (including ICE). Tickets are valid on the day before your flight departure, day of flight departure, day of your return flight and the day after your return flight. For more information , visit the DB Bahn website. Lufthansa Express Rail service provides a convenient and hassle-free way to travel to and from the airport by long-distance train. Check in for the train along with your flight, online or by mobile phone, from 23 hours before the train’s departure time. You can check your baggage through to your destination at the AIRail Center in Frankfurt Airport’s mainline station.
Last updated: 2020-03-13
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.