Glasgow International Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Glasgow International Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
there's still a strange sense of community where, even if we are all suspicious of each other and are sure someone is going to steal all our money, we're all sleeping on the same benches and will all wake up with the exact same pain in our backs as we stand in the check in line. -Nadine
August 2015 - We spent a night at Glasgow International in the end of August. As we read before our trip experiences from others at sleepinginairports.net, we found our spot in front of non-stop working Tesco Express at the land area. There are four to five rows of seating, pretty comfortable, easy to sleep. Up to 4AM you can easily rest, from that time on passenger flow is getting bigger while this area is used by trespassing passengers between the terminal and departures. We were not interrupted by anyone during our whole stay. There were also other guys spending the night so I guess the security is already used to overnight sleepers. WIFI is available for 30 minutes for free. Overall I would recommend staying over night at GLA.
Have you been to Glasgow International Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Glasgow airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Upperdeck Lounge - Location: Airside, International Pier, 2nd Floor. Hours: 5:00AM - 8:30PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (£18.00) • Book Online (£19.00) • Priority Pass.
Free WiFi is available at Glasgow Airport for 30 minutes. Connect to the "Glasgow Airport" network. If you would like more time after the initial 30 minutes, you can purchase a package: £3 (1 hour) • £5 (3 hours) • £9 (24 hours).
Additionally, the airport has Internet kiosks with printers. Locations: Domestic Arrivals (4 stations) • International Arrivals (2 stations) • Domestic Pier, Gate 26 (1 station) • Food Court, Landside (2 stations) • Main Departure Lounge (4 stations). Rate: 10p per minute.
If sleeping in Glasgow International Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Holiday Inn Express - (2 min walk from the airport terminal) Connected to the airport via covered walkway. Day rooms are offered based on availability. No airport shuttle.
- Holiday Inn - (2 min walk from the airport terminal) No airport shuttle.
- Ramada - (6 min walk from the airport) No airport shuttle.
- Premier Inn - (8 min walk from the airport) No airport shuttle.
- Travelodge Glasgow Airport - (10 min walk from the airport) Airport shuttle runs from 4:00AM to Midnight for GBP 2 per person, each way.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotel deals in Glasgow on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- Airport Ambassadors - If you are are lost or need general assistance, there are roving airport ambassadors that can help.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Available Airside and Landside. Some ATMs dispense GBP, USD and Euros.
- Baby Care - There are baby change facilities located both Landside and Airside.
- Car Rentals - Avis • Europcar • National • Alamo • Hertz • Enterprise • Budget.
- Children Play Area - Location: International Pier, Airside, near Gate 27A and 27B
- Currency Exchange - Travelex - Locations: ATMs can be found in the Baggage Claim • A counter in the Arrivals Hall.
- Dry Cleaning - Location: Luggage Point in the main check-in hall.
- Food & Drinks - Most food and beverage concessions are open 4:00AM - last flight. However, Mozzo Coffee House is open 24 hours. Location: Landside.
- Information Desk - Location: UK and Ireland Departures Area, First Floor
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Location: Check-in Hall, Ground Floor. Hours: 8:00AM - 6:00PM (Mon-Fri), 9:30AM-4:00PM (Sat-Sun). Rates: £4.50 (up to 4 hours) - £10.00 (per day). Maximum storage time is 3 months.
- Mobile Charging - Free power charging machines with adapters are available at Dixons located Airside. You can use them to charge up to eight electronic devices.
- Pharmacy - Pick-up or refill a prescription at Boots. Location: Airside. Hours: 4:00AM - last flight.
- Photo Booths - If you need to get a picture taken in a hurry you can use a coin-operated Photo-Me booth. Location: Ground floor domestic arrivals opposite WH Smith , first floor of the main terminal before security and ground floor of Car Park 2.
- Prayer Room - Location: International Arrivals, Landside, Ground Floor. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Showers - Not available
- Smoking - Smoking is permitted in designated areas outside the airport.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
The following shuttles stop just outside of the main terminal:
First 500 Glasgow Shuttle offers 24-hour service, departing every 10 minutes from the airport (Stance 1) for service to Buchanan Street Bus Station. Stops enroute include Glasgow Central and Glasgow Queen Street railway stations. Connections are available from Buchanan Street Bus Station to First Bus regional services and direct transfers to Edinburgh, via Citylink 900 bus service.
First 77 Hospital Connect runs between the airport (Stance 6) and city center, with stops at Renfrew, Braehead shopping centre, South Glasgow University Hospital and Partick.
Adult fare for all First shuttles is £7 for a single-ride ticket or £9.50 for a round-trip ticket (return trip must be used within 28 days). Tickets are sold onboard the shuttle, via mTicketing smartphone app, at the Visitor Information Centre in the domestic Arrivals area of the airport and online. For routes, schedules and additional fare information, visit the First Greater Glasgow website.
McGill’s 757 offers service between the airport (Stance 7) and Paisley Gilmour Street railway station, with departures available every 15 minutes. From Paisley Gilmour, rail services are available to and from Renfrewshire, Ayrshire and southern Scotland. For routes, schedules and fares, go to the McGill’s Buses website.
Citylink 915 travels between the airport (Stance 9) and Skye, via Loch Lomond and Fort Williams. For routes, schedules and fares, visit the Scottish Citylink website.
The following car rental agencies are located onsite in the Domestic Arrivals area: Alamo, Avis, Budget, Dollar/Thrifty, Enterprise, Europcar, Hertz and National.
Official Glasgow Airport Taxis are available directly in front the of main terminal on a 24-hour basis, and are the only taxis permitted to pick up or drop off passengers in front of the terminal. All official Glasgow Airport taxis are metered, and reservations are not required, but you can pre-book a taxi directly through Glasgow Airport Taxi’s website for a discount if you prefer. Credit and debit cards are accepted for a small fee. Please note, taxis from other companies are only allowed to pick up or drop off passengers at Car Park 2, opposite the main terminal.
Last Updated: 27 July 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.