Lyon Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Lyon Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I don't think airport snoozing is really that common in france, the staff looked at me slightly oddly but left me be. -Lesley
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Lyon–Saint-Exupéry Airport.
What to Expect
- A modern international airport with three separate terminals for domestic, international and low-cost carrier flights. A wide variety of shops, restaurants and services are available, mainly in Terminals 1 and 2.
- Free WiFi is available. See Airport WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Don’t bother trying to sleep in the stingy and uncomfortable Terminal 3! Terminal 1 is the popular terminal for sleeping, with its ample supply of comfortable seating and couches (mostly near bars and restaurants that are closed for the night), peaceful atmosphere, power outlets a-plenty, and free WiFi.
- Have earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones handy to block out any annoying overhead announcements!
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter one of the airport’s first class lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
- According to one reviewer, vending machines in the airport train station are cheaper than the vending machines inside of the airport terminal.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Lyon Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- Hegoa Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, Airside. Hours: 5:00AM - 6:00PM (Mon, Tues, Fri, Sat) • 5:00AM - 6:15PM (Wed) • 5:00AM - 9:00PM (Thurs) • 5:00AM - 8:00PM (Sun). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€28)
- Dzhari Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, Airside. Hours: 5:00AM - 9:00PM (Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat, Sun) • 5:00AM - 8:15PM (Tues, Thurs). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€28)
- Solano Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, Airside, Schengen flights only. Hours: 5:00AM - 8:00AM (Mon - Fri) • 5:00AM - 9:30AM (Sat & Sun). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€28)
Free WiFi is available at Lyon Airport.
If sleeping in Lyon Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- NH Lyon Aéroport - (30 steps from Terminals 1 and 3) Day rooms are offered according to availability.
- Hotel Kyriad Lyon - Aéroport Saint Exupéry - (800m from the airport) Free 24-hour airport shuttle departs every 30 minutes.
- Ibis Budget Aeroport Lyon Saint Exupéry - (6 minute walk from the airport) Free airport shuttle runs from 3:00AM to 2:30PM and 4:45PM to 11:30PM (weekdays) and 3:00AM to 10:30AM and 4:45PM to 11:30PM (weekends and public holidays).
- Hotel Campanile Lyon Est - Aeroport Saint Exupéry - (5 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle is available from the hotel to the airport (24 hours a day). From the airport to the hotel, the shuttle is available on request. You need to call 04 78 40 40 11 to be collected and it costs 6,00€ per person.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Lyon Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Locations: T1, landside, Check-in area on Level 1 • T2, landside, Check-in area on Level 0.
- Baby Care Facilities - Diaper changing rooms are available 24 hours a day in T1 and T2. Loaner strollers are available for use, free of charge. Request one at the Information Desk.
- Baggage Trolleys - Available for use for a refundable deposit of €1 (coin-only). If you don’t have a €1 coin handy, free tokens are available in the car parks and Arrivals halls.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Chapel - There is a spiritual and interfaith centre located in Le Square.
- Children’s Play Area - Two locations: T1, landside, Level 0 near the tour operators • T2, airside, Departures lounge.
- Currency Exchange - Locations: Travelex, Le Square. Hours: 7:30AM - 9:00PM (Mon, Wed, Fri - Sun) and 7:30AM - 8:00PM (Tues & Thurs). Travelex, Terminal 1. Hours: 6:00AM - 1:05PM (Mon - Thurs & Sun), 5:45AM - 1:05PM (Fri) and 6:00AM - 2:30PM (Sat).
- Duty Free and Shopping - The airport offers 3 Duty Free shops as well as a selection of other shops including Relay (newspapers, magazines, snacks, etc.).
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate on varying schedules, with some open as early as 4:30AM or 5:00AM. At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour dining options.
- Games Area - Locations: Terminal 1, départ 15 and Terminal 2, départ 21.
- Information Desk - Locations: T1, Level 0. (Hours: 8:00AM - 11:00PM) • T2, Level 0. (Hours: 6:00AM - 11:00PM) • Welcome Area - Le Square, Level 1. (Hours: 6:00AM - 11:00PM).
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Cloakroom service is available for the storage of coats, shoes, helmets, and other items for €2 per item; small hand luggage items (knifes, etc.) for €5 per item; and a key / document drop for €5 per item. Location: Welcome Space - Le Square - Level 1. Hours : 6:00AM - 11:00PM.
- Luggage Wrapping - Available for €10 per bag. Two locations: T1 Departures (Hours: 8:00AM - 5:00PM) • T2 Departures (Hours: 5:00AM - 7:00PM).
- Medical Services - Urgent and emergency medical care is available at the Infirmary (Bâtiment Arc, Level 0) and at the walk-in Medical Practice (Arc Building, Level 0). Infirmary hours: 8:00AM - 8:00PM. Medical Practice hours: Open 24 hours.
- Mobile Charging - There are 5 tables in the restaurant area of Terminal 1 that enable mobile charging.
- Pharmacy - Location: Le Square, airside, Level 1. Hours: 8:00AM - 8:00PM (Mon - Fri) • 8:00AM - 7:00PM (Sat) • 10:00AM - 8:00PM (Sun).
- Prayer Area - There is an interfaith Religious Centre located on Level 1 in Le Square. Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Showers - Freshen up before or after a long flight! Two options are available: € 7 for Eco shower or € 12 for Comfort shower. Location: Le Square, Level 1. Hours: 6:00AM - 11:00PM.
- Spa & Salon Services - Express manicure and pedicure services are available at Mademoiselle Vernis Express Nail Bar. Location: T2, airside, Departure lounge. Hours: 2:00PM - 8:00PM (Sun-Fri). Closed on Saturdays.
The airport is open 24 hours.
The airport bus station is located at Terminal 1, Level 1 Court, and has an information desk open from 6:00AM - 11:00PM.
Bus service is available to the following local municipalities: Genas (Bus line 29), Meyzieu (Bus line 30), Pusignan, Saint-Laurent-de-mure and Jons. Regional bus service connects the airport with these destinations: Annecy, Aix-les Bains, Bourg en Bresse, Bourgoin-Jallieu (Bus line 1950), Chambéry, Grenoble and Voiron. Bus line 1950 also offers service to L’Isle d’Abeau, Vaulx-Milieu, Villefontaine, La Verpillière, Saint Quentin Fallavier.
Seasonal ski buses operate from December to March. Altibus serves the Northern Alps with scheduled weekend direct coach service to Le Menuires, Saint Martin de Belleville, Tignes, Val d’Isère and Val Thorens. Starshipper offers direct shuttle service to Serre Chevalier and Montgenèvre every Saturday during the season.
A free shuttle service links the airport with the car rentals area. The following agencies are located onsite: Avis/Budget, Enterprise, Europcar, Hertz and Sixt.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Ibis Budget Aeroport Lyon Saint Exupery (Shuttle Hours: 24 hours) • Campanile Lyon Est • Premiere Classe Lyon Est.
Metered taxis are readily available at the taxi rank just outside of the airport. Accepted methods of payment include cash, credit cards and bank checks. The following average daytime rates (7:00AM - 7:00PM) were current at the time of this update: Lyon Centre € 50 - 55; Eurexpo € 45 - 50; Cité Internationale € 45 - 50; Grenoble € 150 - 160; Moutiers € 230 - 240
Rhônexpress Tram offers quick and convenient transportation between the airport and Lyon, with a travel time of under 30 minutes in one direction. Trains depart every 15 minutes during peak times, running between the airport rail station and the railway station in Lyon Part-Dieu. Connections are available to Metro lines A and B and several tram and trolleybus lines. Tickets are sold from automated vending machines at Rhônexpress stations, from a steward on the train or online. For route information or to purchase an e-ticket, visit the Rhônexpress website.
Lyon Airport is connected by train to over 24 towns in France and Italy, with service provided by TGV high-speed trains or low-cost OUIGO trains. Some of the towns and cities accessible by rail from the airport include Aix en Provence, Annecy, Avignon, Grenoble, Paris, Montpellier, Marseille, Milan and Turin. TGV Lyon-St. Exupéry Station is located just a five minute walk from the airport terminals. For more information on train services from Lyon Airport, visit the SNCF website.
Last Updated: 27 February 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.