Lyon Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Lyon Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I don't think airport snoozing is really that common in france, the staff looked at me slightly oddly but left me be. -Lesley
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Lyon–Saint-Exupéry Airport.
What to Expect
- A modern international airport with three separate terminals for domestic, international and low-cost carrier flights. A wide variety of shops, restaurants and services are available, mainly in Terminals 1 and 2.
- Free WiFi is available. See Airport WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Don’t bother trying to sleep in the stingy and uncomfortable Terminal 3! Terminal 1 is the popular terminal for sleeping, with its ample supply of comfortable seating and couches (mostly near bars and restaurants that are closed for the night), peaceful atmosphere, power outlets a-plenty, and free WiFi.
- Have earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones handy to block out any annoying overhead announcements!
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter one of the airport’s first class lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
- According to one reviewer, vending machines in the airport train station are cheaper than the vending machines inside of the airport terminal.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Lyon Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- Hegoa Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, Airside. Hours: 5:00AM - 6:00PM (Mon, Tues, Fri, Sat) • 5:00AM - 6:15PM (Wed) • 5:00AM - 9:00PM (Thurs) • 5:00AM - 8:00PM (Sun). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€28)
- Dzhari Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, Airside. Hours: 5:00AM - 9:00PM (Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat, Sun) • 5:00AM - 8:15PM (Tues, Thurs). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€28)
- Solano Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, Airside, Schengen flights only. Hours: 5:00AM - 8:00AM (Mon - Fri) • 5:00AM - 9:30AM (Sat & Sun). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€28)
Free WiFi is available at Lyon Airport.
If sleeping in Lyon Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- NH Lyon Aéroport - (30 steps from Terminals 1 and 3) Day rooms are offered according to availability.
- Hotel Kyriad Lyon - Aéroport Saint Exupéry - (800m from the airport) Free 24-hr airport shuttle.
- Ibis Budget Aeroport Lyon Saint Exupéry - (6 min walk from the airport) Free airport shuttle runs from 3:00AM to 2:30PM and 4:45PM to 11:30PM (weekdays) and 3:00AM to 10:30AM and 4:45PM to 11:30PM (weekends and public holidays).
- Hotel Campanile Lyon Est - Aeroport Saint Exupéry - (5 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Lyon Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Locations: various - Terminal 1, Terminal 2 and Le Square. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Baggage Trolleys - A deposit of €1 coins is required. if you do not have any coins, you can free tokens in the arrival halls and car parks.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Chapel - There is a spiritual and interfaith centre located in Le Square.
- Currency Exchange - Locations: Travelex, Le Square. Hours: 7:30AM - 9:00PM (Mon, Wed, Fri - Sun) and 7:30AM - 8:00PM (Tues & Thurs). Travelex, Terminal 1. Hours: 6:00AM - 1:05PM (Mon - Thurs & Sun), 5:45AM - 1:05PM (Fri) and 6:00AM - 2:30PM (Sat).
- Duty Free and Shopping - The airport offers 3 Duty Free shops as well as a selection of other shops including Relay (newspapers, magazines, snacks, etc.).
- Family Services - The airport provides baby change facilities in Terminal 1 and 2, a children’s play area is available (exact location is not known) and free strollers are also available.
- Food & Drinks - At the time of this update there were no 24 hour food concessions. There are a few coffee shops which open at 5:00AM both Landside and Airside.
- Games Area - Locations: Terminal 1, départ 15 and Terminal 2, départ 21.
- Information Desk - There is an Information Desk available in both Terminals 1 and 2. Hours: Not known. There is also a Welcome Area that may be of assistance. Hours: 6:00AM - 11:00PM every day.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Location: Service & Information Centre in the Square. Hours: 6:00AM - 11:00PM. Rates: 10,00€ first 24 hours and 5,00€ each 24 hours thereafter. Key and document storage is also available for 5,00€ per each item per day.
- Medical Services - The airport medical clinic can be found on Level 0 in the Arc building. Hours: 24 hours a day.
- Mobile Charging - There are 5 tables in the restaurant area of Terminal 1 that enable mobile charging.
- Pharmacy - Location: Le Square, Airside. Hours: 8:00AM - 8:00PM (Mon - Fri) • 8:00AM - 7:00PM (Sat) • 1000AM - 8:00PM (Sun).
- Showers - Available in the Square, Level 1.. Rates: 12,00€ for the "comfort" shower and 7,00€ for the "eco".
The airport is open 24 hours.
The airport bus station is located at Terminal 1, Level 1 Court, and has an information desk open from 6:00AM - 11:00PM.
Bus service is available to the following local municipalities: Genas (Bus line 29), Meyzieu (Bus line 30), Pusignan, Saint-Laurent-de-mure and Jons. Regional bus service connects the airport with these destinations: Annecy, Aix-les Bains, Bourg en Bresse, Bourgoin-Jallieu (Bus line 1950), Chambéry, Grenoble and Voiron. Bus line 1950 also offers service to L’Isle d’Abeau, Vaulx-Milieu, Villefontaine, La Verpillière, Saint Quentin Fallavier.
Seasonal ski buses operate from December to March. Altibus serves the Northern Alps with scheduled weekend direct coach service to Le Menuires, Saint Martin de Belleville, Tignes, Val d’Isère and Val Thorens. Starshipper offers direct shuttle service to Serre Chevalier and Montgenèvre every Saturday during the season.
A free shuttle service links the airport with the car rentals area. The following agencies are located onsite: Avis/Budget, Enterprise, Europcar, Hertz and Sixt.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Ibis Budget Aeroport Lyon Saint Exupery (Shuttle Hours: 24 hours) • Campanile Lyon Est • Premiere Classe Lyon Est.
Metered taxis are readily available at the taxi rank just outside of the airport. Accepted methods of payment include cash, credit cards and bank checks. The following average daytime rates (7:00AM - 7:00PM) were current at the time of this update: Lyon Centre € 50 - 55; Eurexpo € 45 - 50; Cité Internationale € 45 - 50; Grenoble € 150 - 160; Moutiers € 230 - 240
Rhônexpress Tram offers quick and convenient transportation between the airport and Lyon, with a travel time of under 30 minutes in one direction. Trains depart every 15 minutes during peak times, running between the airport rail station and the railway station in Lyon Part-Dieu. Connections are available to Metro lines A and B and several tram and trolleybus lines. Tickets are sold from automated vending machines at Rhônexpress stations, from a steward on the train or online. For route information or to purchase an e-ticket, visit the Rhônexpress website.
Lyon Airport is connected by train to over 24 towns in France and Italy, with service provided by TGV high-speed trains or low-cost OUIGO trains. Some of the towns and cities accessible by rail from the airport include Aix en Provence, Annecy, Avignon, Grenoble, Paris, Montpellier, Marseille, Milan and Turin. TGV Lyon-St. Exupéry Station is located just a five minute walk from the airport terminals. For more information on train services from Lyon Airport, visit the SNCF website.
Last Updated: 26 April 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.