Milan Malpensa Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Milan Malpensa Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
If you're planning to sleep at Malpensa bring food and hand sanitizer, and sleep in Terminal B! -Carly
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Milano Malpensa Airport.
What to Expect
- A modern international airport with two terminals: a larger, newer Terminal 1 with three concourses (A, B and C) and a smaller, older terminal used exclusively by easyJet.
- The airport’s facilities are clean and there is a small variety of shops and restaurants that close fairly early. If vending machine snacks don’t sound appetizing, keep food and beverage handy for late-night snacking!
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- As the low-budget carrier terminal, Terminal 2 always has overnight travelers, and some reviewers mentioned the Arrivals Level as the best place in the airport to sleep. Terminal 1 is the larger of the two terminals, with ample empty floor space and metal benches, but is busier during the night.
- The Gran Cafe on level P1 has a window with comfortable seating in an area that remains quiet the cafe opens at 5:00AM. The 3rd floor food court has a quiet hallway along the side of the escalator where you can sleep comfortably on the floor, if you have a sleeping bag or travel mat handy.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter one of the airport’s first class lounges. See our Airport Lounges section for locations and rates.
- The vending machines on the right side of the departures level (Terminal 1) are cheaper than the other vending machines in the airport.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Milan Malpensa Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Milan Malpensa airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Club S.E.A Pergolesi Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Central Satellite, Non-Schengen Area, Boarding Gates B. Showers are available ($). Hours: 6:00AM - 10:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€35.00) • Priority Pass
- Club S.E.A Monteverdi Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, South Satellite, Schengen, boarding gates A. Showers are available. Hours: 6:00AM - 9:30PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€35.00) • Priority Pass
- Club S.E.A Respighi Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, Landside, 2nd Floor. Hours: 6:00AM - 9:30PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€35.00) • Priority Pass
Unlimited free WiFi is available at Milan Linate Airport. Standard WiFi speed is 512 KBps. If you have a need for speed, you can upgrade to WiFi Plus Free (2 Mbps) by registering for the ViaMilano Program. Members of a roaming WiFi provider, such as Boingo, can also access their service from the airport.
If sleeping in Milan Malpensa Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Sleep Pods - There are 4 soundproof sleep pods located in the public area of the terminal. Pods come equipped with a bed, Wi-Fi, a flight status screen and electrical outlets. Location: Terminal 1, landside, second floor, departures area. Directions: look for check-in desk number 3 and then follow the direction of “Sala Respighi”. The lounge is in front of the capsules. Rates: 9 € per hour.
- Sheraton Milan Malpensa Airport Hotel - Located in Terminal 1. Free shuttle runs between hotel and Terminal 2. Day room rates and 5 hour rates are available.
- MOXY Milan Malpensa Airport - (1 min walk to the airport terminal) Located directly in front of Terminal 2. Free shuttle bus runs from hotel to Terminal 1.
- Holiday Inn Express Malpensa Airport - (5 min from the airport) Located between Terminals 1 and 2. Airport shuttle to Terminal 1 available from 5:00AM to 11:30PM for 4 Euro per person, each way (8 Euro per person, each way during off-hours from Midnight to 5:00AM, and only upon request and availability). Shuttle service to Terminal 2 is upon request only and operates 5 minutes later than Terminal 1 schedule. Hotel shares airport shuttle with Crowne Plaza Milan.
- Crowne Plaza Malpensa Airport - (5 min from the airport) Located between Terminals 1 and 2. Airport shuttle to Terminal 1 available from 5:00AM to 11:30PM for 4 Euro per person, each way (8 Euro per person, each way during off-hours from Midnight to 5:00AM, and only upon request and availability). Shuttle service to Terminal 2 is upon request only and operates 5 minutes later than Terminal 1 schedule. Hotel shares airport shuttle with Holiday Inn Express Milan.
- Hotel Ristorante Cervo - (2 min from the airport) Airport shuttle runs from 5:00AM to 10:00AM and 3:00PM to 11:00PM for 3 Euro per person, each way. Discounted taxi rates offered during shuttle’s off-hours.
- First Hotel Malpensa - (3 min from the airport) Airport shuttle runs from 4:30AM to 1:30AM, for 3 Euro per person, each way.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Milan Malpensa Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - ATMs are available throughout the landside and airside areas of Terminals 1 and 2.
- Baby Care Facilities - Table with changing top, privacy screen and an ergonomic breastfeeding chair are available in the Baby Pit Stop feeding room. Look for the distinctive logo which marks the Baby Pit Stop, located at the Sala Amica.
- Banking - Banca Popolare di Sondrio. Location: T1, landside, Check-In Area 17, 2nd Floor. Hours: 8:00AM - 1:15PM and 2:30PM - 3:45PM (Mon-Fri) 8:35AM - 12:00PM (Sat). Banca Popolare di Milano. Location: T2, Arrivals, Ground Floor. Hours: 8:20AM - 1:20PM and 2:35PM - 3:35PM (Mon-Fri)
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Chapel - Mass is held at 8:00AM on Sundays and holidays. Location: T1, landside, Check-In Area 1, 2nd Floor
- Children's Play Area - Interactive Geronimo Stilton-themed games and toys are available at the children’s play area. Location: T1, airside, Satellite A • T1, airside, Satellite B central, close to Gate B5 • T1, airside, North Satellite, near Gates B50-B59 • T2, airside, Gate D9.
- Currency Exchange - There are ten Forexchange locations:
- T1: Arrivals A and B, Ground Floor • Departures A and Satellite B2, 1st Floor • the Check-In areas, 2nd Floor. Hours: vary per location, with some open as early as 5:45AM and closed as late as 11:15PM (Departures, Satellite B2 location).
- T2: Check-In, Ground Floor (Hours: 6:15AM - 7:45PM) • Departures, 1st Floor (Hours: 5:15AM - 9:45PM)
- Duty Free & Shopping - There are five Dufry duty-free shops in Terminal 1, and one Dufry in Terminal 2, all located airside. A wide variety of retail shops are also available.
- Family Services - There is a special "Family Lane" when passing through security. If you are travelling with children under the age of 13 take the stairs nearest to check-in areas 7 and 8 to reach the dedicated family lane.
- Fast Track Service - As a premium service, customers with Fast Track security passes will be given priority service to ensure that waiting is kept to a minimum. Cost: €9.00 book online.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate on varying schedules, with some open as early as 4:00AM and closed as late as 10:00PM. At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour dining options. Here are some of the dining options available: Aroma Cafe • Briciole Bar • Gran Cafe • Juice Bar • McDonald’s • Pane Vino e San Daniele • Pastasciutta • Pizza Chef • Rossopomodoro • Sky Lounge Bar
- Luggage Storage / Lockers - At this current time, we are unable to confirm current rates. Location: T1, Arrivals B, Ground Floor. Hours: 6:00AM - 10:00PM.
- Luggage Wrapping - SecureBag has ten luggage wrapping stations in T1 and two stations in T2. Locations: T1, landside, Check-In, 2nd Floor • T2, landside, Check-In, Ground Floor. Hours: 4:00AM - 9:00PM.
- Medical Services - A first aid station is available on the 1st floor (south side) of T1, and on the ground floor outside of T2.
- Pharmacy - Locations: T1, landside, Arrivals, Ground Floor (Hours: 8:00AM - 8:00PM) • T1, Departures B, 1st Floor (Hours: 8:00AM - 8:00PM) • T2, landside, Check-In, Ground Floor (Hours: 8:00AM - 8:00PM).
- Post Office - Poste Italiane. Location: T1, landside, Arrivals, Ground Floor. Hours: 8:20AM - 1:45PM (Mon-Fri) 8:20AM - 12:45PM (Sat).
- Showers - Showers can be found in the lounges. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
The airport is open 24 hours.
Three bus lines depart Milan Central Station every 20 minutes for both Terminals 1 and 2. Passengers needing to transfer to or from Linate Airport can take one of two scheduled bus services. There are also regular bus services from Fiera Milano City and main towns in Lombardy, Piedmont, Liguria, and Ticino. Tickets can be purchased on board the bus. Tickets for buses from Milan Central Station can also be purchased online or at sales desks in the Arrivals Halls of both terminals.
Malpensa Airport Terminal 1 is linked to central Milan by several train lines. Terminal 1 can be reached from Cadorna Station in as little as 29 minutes via the Malpensa Express. The Malpensa Express can also be taken from Milano Centrale and Milano Porta Garibaldi stations. Passengers taking Trenitalia regional, international and high-speed trains can access Malpensa Airport through the Milan Central - Gallarate FS line and BUS SACO connection. Visit the Malpensa Express website for fares and information.
Many local hotels provide airport shuttle service as a courtesy to their guests. Ask your hotel for shuttle service availability and details. The following hotels offer airport shuttle service: Aer Hotel Malpensa • Airport Motel Malpensa • Best Western Cavalieri Della Corona • Best Western Jet Hotel • Cardano Hotel Malpensa • Crowne Plaza Milan - Malpensa Airport • First Hotel Malpensa • Hilton Garden Inn Milan Malpensa • Holiday Inn Express Milan-Malpensa Airport • Hotel Osteria della Pista • Hotel Ristorante Cervo • Hotel Villa delle Rose Malpensa • Hotel Villa Malpensa • Hotel Visconti • Ibis Milano Malpensa Aeroporto • Malpensa Inn • Novotel Milano Malpensa Airport.
Passengers arriving into either terminal will have access to car rental agencies. Auto Europa • Dollar • Gold Car • Hertz • Locauto •Maggiore • Sixt and Thrifty have rental desks in Terminal 1. Avis • Budget and Europcar have rental desks in both Terminals 1 and 2.
The airport provides a 24-hour courtesy shuttle service between Terminals 1 and 2. The service runs every 7 minutes from 5:00AM - 11:00PM and every 30 minutes from 11:00PM - 5:00AM.
Taxis can be found outside of the Arrivals Hall, ground floor at both Terminals 1 (exit gate 6) and Terminal 2 (exit gate 4). The following rates were current at the time of this update (August 2015):
- Milan > Malpensa Airport € 90
- Malpensa Airport > Fiera € 65
- Malpensa Airport > Linate Airport € 100
Car Hire with Driver
Chauffeur-driven sedans and limousines are available for hire from two companies that operate in the airport. European Limousine Consortium is open from 6:00AM - 12:00AM and has an agency desk in Terminal 1, Arrivals B floor, near Door 6. CTM Consorzio Taxi Malpensa is located in Terminal 1, Arrivals floor 0 (Schengen exits). They are open 7:30AM - 9:15AM (Mon-Fri), 7:00AM - 6:00PM (Sat), and 8:00AM - 12:00PM (Sun & public holidays).
Car sharing is an economical and eco-friendly way to rent a car for a brief period. Car sharing stations are located throughout the city, and are open 24 hours a day. Vehicles can be picked up at one station and dropped off at another. The E-Vai Car Sharing program operates out of both Milan’s Malpensa (Terminal 1) and Linate airports. The rate for an electric vehicle is €5 with no additional mileage charges. The rate for a low impact endothermic vehicles is €2.40 per hour plus €0.48 per km.
Last Updated: 13 October 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.