Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Milan Malpensa Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
If you’re planning to sleep at Malpensa bring food and hand sanitizer, and sleep in Terminal B! -Carly
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Milano Malpensa Airport.
What to Expect
- A modern international airport with two terminals: a larger, newer Terminal 1 with three concourses (A, B and C) and a smaller, older terminal used exclusively by easyJet.
- The airport’s facilities are clean and there is a small variety of shops and restaurants that close fairly early. If vending machine snacks don’t sound appetizing, keep food and beverage handy for late-night snacking!
- The vending machines on the right side of the departures level (Terminal 1) are rumoured to be cheaper than the other vending machines in the airport.
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter one of the airport’s first class lounges. See our Airport Lounges section for locations and rates.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- As the low-budget carrier terminal, Terminal 2 always has overnight travelers, and some reviewers mentioned the Arrivals Level as the best place in the airport to sleep. Terminal 1 is the larger of the two terminals, with ample empty floor space and metal benches, but is busier during the night.
- The Gran Cafe on level P1 has a window with comfortable seating in an area that remains quiet the cafe opens at 5:00AM. The 3rd floor food court has a quiet hallway along the side of the escalator where you can sleep comfortably on the floor, if you have a sleeping bag or travel mat handy.
- Explore our guide to sleeping in Milan Malpensa Airport or read some traveller reviews for more tips.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Sala Pergolesi – Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Central Satellite, Non-Schengen Area, Boarding Gates B. Showers are available ($). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
If sleeping in Milan Malpensa Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
Inside Airport Sleep Pods – There are 4 soundproof sleep pods located in the public area of the terminal. Pods come equipped with a bed, Wi-Fi, a flight status screen and electrical outlets. Location: Terminal 1, landside, second floor, departures area. Directions: look for check-in desk number 3 and then follow the direction of “Sala Respighi”. The lounge is in front of the capsules. Rates: 9 € per hour.
Inside Airport Sheraton Milan Malpensa Airport Hotel – Located in Terminal 1. Free shuttle runs between hotel and Terminal 2. Day room rates and 5 hour rates are available. » Check Rates
At Airport MOXY Milan Malpensa Airport – (1 minute walk to the airport terminal) Located directly in front of Terminal 2. Free shuttle bus operated by the airport runs from the hotel to Terminal 1. » Check Rates
At Airport First Hotel Malpensa – (3 minutes from the airport) Airport shuttle runs from 4:30AM to 1:00AM, for 3 Euro per person, each way. Call +39 0331 717045 once you have collected your luggage and head to Exit 10 in Terminal 1 or in front of the Pharmacy, departure area in Terminal 2. » Check Rates
At Airport Holiday Inn Express Malpensa Airport – (5 minutes from the airport) Located between Terminals 1 and 2. Airport shuttle to Terminal 1 is available from 5:30AM to 11:30PM for 4 Euro per person, each way (8 Euro per person, each way during off-hours from Midnight to 5:00AM, and only upon request and availability). Shuttle service to Terminal 2 is upon request only. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Milan Malpensa Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Unlimited free WiFi is available at Milan Linate Airport. Standard service is available with WiFi ViaMilano at a speed of 2 Mbps, registration is required. WiFi Roaming is accessible to members of a roaming WiFi provider, such as Boingo, B-Tel and I Pass. Choose the appropriate provider, login with your credentials and start surfing.
- Post Office – Poste Italiane. Location: T1, landside, Arrivals, Ground Floor. Hours: 8:20AM – 1:45PM (Mon-Fri) 8:20AM – 12:45PM (Sat).
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – Table with changing top, privacy screen and an ergonomic breastfeeding chair are available in the Baby Pit Stop feeding room. Look for the distinctive logo which marks the Baby Pit Stop, located at the Sala Amica.
- Children’s Play Area – When you want to ensure your kids burn off all their energy before their flight, take them to one of the children’s play areas where you will find Interactive Geronimo Stilton-themed games and toys. Location: T1, airside, Satellite A, before the gates • T1, airside, Satellite B central, close to Gate B5 • T1, airside, North Satellite, near Gates B50-B59 • T2, airside, Gate D9.
- Family Services – There is a special “Family Lane” when passing through security. If you are travelling with children under the age of 13 take the stairs nearest to check-in areas 7 and 8 to reach the dedicated family lane. – As a premium service, customers with Fast Track security passes will be given priority service to ensure that waiting is kept to a minimum. Cost: €9.00 book online.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – At the time of this update, there is one 24-hour dining option. Location: Briciole, Terminal 1, Landside, Main Building Check-in, Floor 2. Otherwise, food concessions throughout the airport operate on varying schedules, with some open as early as 4:00AM and closed as late as 10:00PM. . Here are some of the dining options available: Aroma Cafe • Briciole Bar • Gran Cafe • Juice Bar • McDonald’s • Pane Vino e San Daniele • Pastasciutta • Pizza Chef • Rossopomodoro • Sky Lounge Bar.
- Grocery Store – If you need to pick up groceries on your way stop at the Carrefour Market. The market offers the convenience and assortment of the perfect city supermarket inside the airport. Location: Terminal 1, landside. Hours: 8:00AM – 8:30PM (Daily).
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – At this current time, we are unable to confirm current rates. Location: T1, Arrivals B, Ground Floor. Hours: 6:00AM – 10:00PM.
- Luggage Wrapping – SecureBag has ten luggage wrapping stations in T1 and two stations in T2. Locations: T1, landside, Check-In, 2nd Floor • T2, landside, Check-In, Ground Floor. Hours: 4:00AM – 9:00PM.
- Medical Services – A first aid station is available on the 1st floor (south side) of T1, and on the ground floor outside of T2.
- Pharmacy – Locations: T1, landside, Arrivals, Ground Floor (Hours: 8:00AM – 8:00PM) • T1, Departures B, 1st Floor (Hours: 8:00AM – 8:00PM) • T2, landside, Check-In, Ground Floor (Hours: 5:00AM – 7:00PM).
- Mobile Charging – At the time of this update, we did not have any information about mobile charging availability. If you know, click here to update this airport guide.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Landside and Airside areas of Terminals 1 and 2.
- Banking Services – Banca Popolare di Sondrio. Location: T1, landside, Check-In Area 17, 2nd Floor. Hours: 8:00AM – 1:15PM and 2:30PM – 3:45PM (Mon-Fri) 8:35AM – 12:00PM (Sat). Banca Popolare di Milano. Location: T2, Arrivals, Ground Floor. Hours: 8:20AM – 1:20PM and 2:35PM – 3:35PM (Mon-Fri)
- Currency Exchange – There are ten Forexchange locations:
- Terminal 1 – Ground Floor, Arrivals A • Ground Floor, Arrivals B (exit 5) • Ground Floor, Arrivals B (exit 9) • 1st Floor, Departures A • 1st Floor, Departures Satellite B2 • 2nd Floor, Check-in areas 5 – 6 • 2nd Floor, Check-in areas 9 – 10 • 2nd Floor, Check-in area 17. Hours vary by location.
- Terminal 2 – Ground Floor, Check-In • 1st Floor, Departures. Hours vary by location.
- Chapel – Mass is held at 8:00AM on Sundays and holidays. Location: T1, landside, Check-In Area 1, 2nd Floor
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – Not available.
- Duty Free & Shopping – There are five Dufry duty-free shops in Terminal 1, and one Dufry in Terminal 2, all located airside. A wide variety of retail shops are also available.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Showers – Showers can be found in the lounges. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
The airport is open 24 hours.
As of March 2018, Milan Malpensa airport is served by the following airlines: Adria Airways • Aegean Airlines • Aeroflot • Air Algerie • Air Baltic • Air Dolomiti • Air Europa • Air Explore • Air France • Air India • Air Italy • Air Mediterranee • Air Moldova • Air Nostrum • Air Serbia • Albastar • Alitalia • American Airlines • Arkia • AtlasGlobal • Austrian Airlines • Belavia • Blue Panorama • BMI Regional • British Airways • Brussels Airways • Bulgarian Air • Cathay Pacific • Delta • Eastern Airways • easyJet • EgyptAir • El Al Israel Airlines • Ethiopian Airlines • Etihad Airways • Eurowings • Finnair • Fly Ernest • Flybe • Flyone • Free Bird • Germania • Germanwings • Iberia • Icelandair • Iran Air • KLM • Korean Air • LATAM • LOT • Lufthansa • Luxair • Mahan Air • MEA • Mistral Air • Neos • Norwegian • Oman Air • PIA • Pegasus Airlines • Qatar Airways • Rossiya • Royal Air Maroc • Ryanair • SAS • Saudi Arabian Airlines • Singapore Airlines • Swiss • TAP Portugal • Thai Airways • Titan Airways • Trade Air • Tunisair • Turkish Airlines • Twin Jet • Ukraine International Airlines • United Airlines • Uzbekistan Airlines • Vueling • Wizz Air.
The airport is well connected to the bus system. Whether you need a shuttle bus to the train station, want a fast bus connection to Milan or need a long distance coach, there is probably a bus for you. To plan your route, visit the Malpensa Airport website.
Milan Malpensa airport can be easily reached from the centre of Milan with the Malpensa Express train from Cadorna, Milano Centrale and Milano Porta Garibaldi stations. Malpensa Express train stops at Malpensa Terminal 1 and Malpensa terminal 2. To plan your trip, visit the Malpensa Express website.
Many local hotels provide airport shuttle service as a courtesy to their guests. Ask your hotel for shuttle service availability and details.
The following hotels offer airport shuttle service: Aer Hotel Malpensa • Airport Motel Malpensa • Best Western Cavalieri Della Corona • Best Western Jet Hotel • Cardano Hotel Malpensa • Crowne Plaza Milan – Malpensa Airport • First Hotel Malpensa • Hilton Garden Inn Milan Malpensa • Holiday Inn Express Milan-Malpensa Airport • Hotel Osteria della Pista • Hotel Ristorante Cervo • Hotel Villa delle Rose Malpensa • Hotel Villa Malpensa • Hotel Visconti • Ibis Milano Malpensa Aeroporto • Malpensa Inn • Novotel Milano Malpensa Airport.
Passengers arriving into either terminal will have access to car rental agencies. Dollar • Gold Car • Hertz • Locauto • Maggiore • Sicily by Car Auto Europa • Thrifty • and Win Rent have rental desks in Terminal 1. Avis • Avis, Budget Europcar and Sixt have rental desks in both Terminals 1 and 2.
The airport provides a 24-hour courtesy shuttle service between Terminals 1 and 2. The service runs every 7 minutes from 5:00AM – 11:00PM and every 30 minutes from 11:00PM – 5:00AM.
Taxis can be found outside of the Arrivals Hall, ground floor at both Terminals 1 (exit gate 6) and Terminal 2 (exit gate 4). The following rates were current at the time of this update (January 2018):
Milan > Malpensa Airport € 95
Malpensa Airport > Fiera € 65
Malpensa Airport > Linate Airport € 105
European Limousine Consortium and CTM Consorzio Taxi Malpensa offer chauffeur-driven sedans and limousines at the airport.
Last updated: 2018-10-23
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.