Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Milan Malpensa Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
If you’re planning to sleep at Malpensa bring food and hand sanitizer, and sleep in Terminal B! -Carly
MXP Airport Overview
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Milan Malpensa Airport.
What to Expect
Milan Malpensa Airport (code: MXP) consists of two terminals: a larger, newer Terminal 1 with three concourses (A, B and C) and a smaller, older terminal used exclusively by easyJet. The airport’s facilities include a small variety of shops and restaurants that close fairly early. If vending machine snacks don’t sound appetizing, you should keep food and beverage handy for late-night snacking! The vending machines on the right side of the departures level (Terminal 1) are rumoured to be cheaper than the other vending machines in the airport. Free WiFi is available to help pass the time. Economy class passengers can pay to enter one of the airport’s first class lounges. See our Airport Lounges section for locations and rates.
Sleeping in Malpensa Airport
As the low-budget carrier terminal, Terminal 2 always has overnight travellers, and some reviewers mentioned the Arrivals Level as the best place in the airport to sleep. Terminal 1 is the larger of the two terminals, with ample empty floor space and metal benches, but is busier during the night. The Gran Cafe on level P1 has a window with comfortable seating in an area that remains quiet the cafe opens at 5:00AM. The 3rd floor food court has a quiet hallway along the side of the escalator where you can sleep comfortably on the floor, if you have a sleeping bag or travel mat handy. Explore our guide to sleeping in Milan Malpensa Airport or read some traveller airport reviews for more tips. For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See the Airport Hotels section below for locations.
Some airport reviews and tips in this guide and elsewhere on the site were written before March 2020 and may no longer be valid. To help us keep this guide up-to-date, you can add or update information or write a review to submit airport tips and photos. You can also visit the airport’s web site for current information.
For more airport information continue scrolling down to explore more in our Malpensa Airport Guide.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security. For more information on Europe’s Schengen Area, click here.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Casa Alitalia Lounge – Location: Terminal 1, Airside, North Satellite Boarding Area. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door.
Club S.E.A. Sala Montale – Location: Terminal 1, Airside. Departures Level Satellite B. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door.
Sala Monteverdi – Location: Terminal 1, Airside, South Satellite, Schengen, boarding gates A. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Lounge membership programs.
Sala Pergolesi – Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Central Satellite, Non-Schengen Area, Boarding Gates B. Showers are available ($). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Lounge membership programs.
If you are a First or Business Class traveller you may have access to the lounges listed below. For more information, check the airline’s website.
- Emirates Lounge – Location: Terminal 1, Airside • The Lufthansa (Star Alliance Only) Lounge – Location: Terminal 1, Airside.
- Lufthansa Business Lounge – Location: Terminal 1, Airside – schengen passengers only.
Related Pages: Malpensa Airport Lounges
Airport Hotels, Day Rooms & Sleep Pods
If sleeping in Milan Malpensa airport sounds like a nightmare, there are sleep pods inside the airport and hotels nearby:
With Covid restrictions constantly changing, we recommend that you confirm shuttle availability prior to booking and/or prior to your arrival.Inside Airport Zzzleepandgo Sleep Pods – There are 4 soundproof sleep pods located in the public area of the terminal. Pods come equipped with a bed, Wi-Fi, a flight status screen and electrical outlets. Location: Terminal 1, landside, second floor, departures area. Directions: look for check-in desk number 3 and then follow the direction of “Sala Respighi”. The lounge is in front of the capsules. Rates: 9 € per hour. » Check Rates Inside Airport Sheraton Milan Malpensa Airport Hotel – Located in Terminal 1. Free shuttle runs between hotel and Terminal 2. Day room rates and 5 hour rates are available. » Check Rates
More nearby hotels:
- MOXY Milan Malpensa Airport – Walking distance to Terminal 2. No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
- First Hotel Malpensa – 24-hour airport shuttle for a fee (€4 per person each way). » Check Rates
- Holiday Inn Express Malpensa Airport – Located between Terminals 1 and 2. Airport shuttle to Terminal 1 for a fee (€4 Euro per person each way/8 € per person each way during off-hours from Midnight to 5:00AM). Shuttle service to Terminal 2 is upon request only. » Check Rates
For more options, visit Tripadvisor to see a list of hotels near Milan Malpensa Airport that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Unlimited free WiFi is available at Milan Malpensa Airport. No registration is required. There are no time limits and speed is up to 6Mbps.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
- Post Office – Poste Italiane. Location: T1, landside, Arrivals, Ground Floor. Hours: 8:20AM – 1:45PM (Mon-Fri) 8:20AM – 12:45PM (Sat).
- SIM Cards – A reader has asked us to include where to buy SIM Cards. If you know, click here to update this airport guide.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – Table with changing top, privacy screen and an ergonomic breastfeeding chair are available in the Baby Pit Stop feeding room. Look for the distinctive logo which marks the Baby Pit Stop, located at the Sala Amica.
- Children’s Play Area – When you want to ensure your kids burn off all their energy before their flight, take them to one of the children’s play areas where you will find Interactive Geronimo Stilton-themed games and toys. Location: T1, airside, Satellite A, before the gates • T1, airside, Satellite B central, close to Gate B5 • T1, airside, North Satellite, near Gates B50-B59 • T2, airside, Gate D9.
- Family Services – There is a special “Family Lane” when passing through security. If you are travelling with children under the age of 13 take the stairs nearest to check-in areas 7 and 8 to reach the dedicated family lane. – As a premium service, customers with Fast Track security passes will be given priority service to ensure that waiting is kept to a minimum. Cost: €9.00 book online.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – At the time of this update, there is one 24-hour dining option. Location: Briciole, Terminal 1, Landside, Main Building Check-in, Floor 2. Otherwise, food concessions throughout the airport operate on varying schedules, with some open as early as 4:00AM and closed as late as 10:00PM. . Here are some of the dining options available: Aroma Cafe • Briciole Bar • Gran Cafe • Juice Bar • McDonald’s • Pane Vino e San Daniele • Pastasciutta • Pizza Chef • Rossopomodoro • Sky Lounge Bar.
- Grocery Store – If you need to pick up groceries on your way stop at the Carrefour Market. The market offers the convenience and assortment of the perfect city supermarket inside the airport. Location: Terminal 1, landside. Hours: 8:00AM – 8:30PM (Daily).
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – At this current time, we are unable to confirm current rates. Location: T1, Arrivals B, Ground Floor. Hours: 6:00AM – 10:00PM.
- Luggage Wrapping – SecureBag has ten luggage wrapping stations in T1 and two stations in T2. Locations: T1, landside, Check-In, 2nd Floor • T2, landside, Check-In, Ground Floor. Hours: 4:00AM – 9:00PM. Rates: 9,00€ when booked online.
- Medical Services – A first aid station is available on the 1st floor (south side) of T1, and on the ground floor outside of T2.
- Pharmacy – Locations: T1, landside, Arrivals, Ground Floor (Hours: 8:00AM – 8:00PM) • T1, Departures B, 1st Floor (Hours: 8:00AM – 8:00PM) • T2, landside, Check-In, Ground Floor (Hours: 5:00AM – 7:00PM).
- Mobile Charging – A reader tells us there power outlets and usb charging ports in Terminal 1, Airside, between exit 7 and 8 (in front of the “JuiceBar/MokaCafe”).
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Landside and Airside areas of Terminals 1 and 2.
- Banking Services – Banca Popolare di Sondrio. Location: T1, landside, Check-In Area 17, 2nd Floor. Hours: 8:00AM – 1:15PM and 2:30PM – 3:45PM (Mon-Fri) 8:35AM – 12:00PM (Sat). Banca Popolare di Milano. Location: T2, Arrivals, Ground Floor. Hours: 8:20AM – 1:20PM and 2:35PM – 3:35PM (Mon-Fri)
- Currency Exchange – There are ten Forexchange locations:
- Terminal 1 – Ground Floor, Arrivals A • Ground Floor, Arrivals B (exit 5) • Ground Floor, Arrivals B (exit 9) • 1st Floor, Departures A • 1st Floor, Departures Satellite B2 • 2nd Floor, Check-in areas 5 – 6 • 2nd Floor, Check-in areas 9 – 10 • 2nd Floor, Check-in area 17. Hours vary by location.
- Terminal 2 – Ground Floor, Check-In • 1st Floor, Departures. Hours vary by location.
- Chapel – Mass is held at 8:00AM on Sundays and holidays. Location: T1, landside, Check-In Area 1, 2nd Floor
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – There are no dedicated sleeping areas, quiet areas or rest zones. If this information has changed, click here to update this guide.
- Duty Free & Shopping – There are five Dufry duty-free shops in Terminal 1, and one Dufry in Terminal 2, all located airside. A wide variety of retail shops are also available. Hudson News has 8 locations in Terminal 1 for last minute drink and snack needs.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Showers – Showers can be found in the lounges. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
The airport is open 24 hours.
Milan Malpensa airport is served by the following airlines: Aegean Airlines • Aer Lingus • Aeroflot • Air Algérie • Air Azul • Air Baltic • Air Cairo • Air Canada • Air China • Air Dolomiti • Air Europa • Air France • Air Horizont • Air India • Air Italy • Air Malta • Air Moldova • Air Nostrum • Air Serbia • Albastar • Alitalia • American Airlines • Arkia • AtlasGlobal • Austrian Airlines • Azerbaijan Airlines • Belavia • Blue Air • Blue Panorama • British Airways • Brussels Airways • Bulgarian Air • Cathay Pacific • China Eastern Airlines • Cygnus Air • Czech Airlines • Delta Air Lines • EasyJet • Eastern Airways • Egyptair • El Al Israel Airlines • Ethiopian Airlines • Etihad Airways • Eurowings • Finnair • Fly Ernest • Flyone • Free Bird • Germanwings • GOL • Hainan • HOP! • Iberia • Icelandair • Iran Air • JetBlue • KLM • Korean Air • Kuwait Airways • LATAM • LOT • Lufthansa • Luxair • Mahan Air • MEA • Mistral Air • Montenegro Airlines • Neos • Nesma Airlines • Niki • Norwegian • Orange2fly • PIA • Pegasus Airlines • Qatar Airways • Rossiya • Royal Air Maroc • Ryanair • SAS • Saudi Arabian Airlines • Singapore Airlines • Southern Air • Swiss • TAM • TAP Portugal • Thai Airways • Titan Airways • Trade Air • Tunisair • Turkish Airlines • Twin Jet • Ukraine International Airlines • United Airlines • Utair Aviation • Uzbekistan Airlines • Vueling • Wizz Air.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
MXP airport is well connected to the bus system. Whether you need a shuttle bus to the train station, want a fast bus connection to Milan or need a long distance coach, there is probably a bus for you. To plan your route, visit the Malpensa Airport website.
Car sharing is an economical and eco-friendly way to rent a car for a brief period. Vehicles can be picked up at one station and dropped off at another. There are over 80 stations (open 24 hours a day) including stations at Malpensa Airport. For more information, visit the E-Vai website.
Passengers arriving into either terminal will have access to car rental agencies. Dollar • Gold Car • Hertz • Locauto • Maggiore • Sicily by Car Auto Europa • Thrifty • and Win Rent have rental desks in Terminal 1. Avis • Avis, Budget Europcar and Sixt have rental desks in both Terminals 1 and 2.
Several area hotels provide airport shuttle service: Aer Hotel Malpensa • Best Western Jet Hotel • Cardano Hotel Malpensa • First Hotel Malpensa • Hilton Garden Inn Milan Malpensa • Hotel Ristorante Cervo • Hotel Villa delle Rose Malpensa • Hotel Villa Malpensa • Ibis Milano Malpensa Aeroporto • Malpensa Inn • Novotel Milano Malpensa Airport.
See also Airport Hotels above.
The airport provides a 24-hour courtesy shuttle service between Terminals 1 and 2. The service runs every 7 minutes from 5:00AM – 11:00PM and every 30 minutes from 11:00PM – 5:00AM.
European Limousine Consortium and CTM Consorzio Taxi Malpensa offer chauffeur-driven sedans and limousines at Terminal 1. World Wide Group offers services at Terminal 2.
Taxis can be found outside of the Arrivals Hall, ground floor at both Terminals 1 (exit gate 6) and Terminal 2 (exit gate 4). The following rates were current at the time of this update:
- Milan > Malpensa Airport € 95
- Malpensa Airport > Fiera € 65
- Malpensa Airport > Linate Airport € 105
Milan Malpensa airport can be easily reached from the centre of Milan with the Malpensa Express train from Cadorna, Milano Centrale and Milano Porta Garibaldi stations. Malpensa Express train stops at Malpensa Terminal 1 and Malpensa terminal 2. To plan your trip, visit the Malpensa Express website.
Last updated: 2022-10-28
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.