Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I had a 17 hours wait between my flights (from 5pm to 10am next morning)and, to be honest, this was one of the most pleasant airports I have ever been into (and believe me, I have seen loads). -Karmak
Terminal C. Photo credit: A Savin / Wikimedia
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport.
What to Expect
- The airport has several terminals: the north terminal area has Terminals A, B, and C - these house charters and low-cost carriers; the south terminal area has Terminals D, E, and F, which are interlinked
- This is a large, spread out airport. The facilities and amenities are generally very good, but isn’t very comfortable for overnight sleepers.
- Airport staff are generally tolerant of overnight travellers trying to sleep.
- Many travellers report poor customer service and/or major language barriers.
- WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Most reviews from travellers focus on the south terminals, D, E, F, as those house most public, international flights. Each gate has a lot of seats, and some don’t have armrests.
- There’s a carpeted area where Terminals D and E meet.
- The floor is mostly tiled, so bring something to lie on for warmth.
- The airport is cold and bright, so bring layers and an eye mask.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are sleep cabins in the transit area and hotels within walking distance. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Many travellers report difficulty in finding charging locations for phones, tablets, etc.
- Showers are available for a fee.Economy class travelers can buy a pass and relax in several airport lounges; showers are available in some. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Moscow Sheremetyevo airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Persey Lounge - Location: Terminal C, Airside, 4th Floor. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (3,500₽) • Book Online (£33 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
- Baikal Business Lounge - Location: Terminal D, Airside, 2nd Floor. Showers are available ($). Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (2,000₽).
- Blues Business Lounge - Location: Terminal D, Airside, 4th Floor. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (3,500₽) • Book Online (£33 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
- Classica Lounge - Location: Terminal D, Airside, 4th Floor. Hours: 12:00AM - 3:00PM (Daily). Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (3,500₽) • Book Online (£33 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
- Gallery Lounge - Location: Terminal D, Airside, 3rd Floor, opposite Gate 32. Hours: open 24 hours. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (3,500₽) • Book Online (£33 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
- Jazz Business Lounge - Location: Terminal D, Airside, 4th Floor. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (3,500₽) • Book Online (£33 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
- Matrioshka Lounge - Location: Terminal D, Airside, 2nd Floor, opposite Gate 17. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (3,500₽) • Book Online (£33 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
- Galaxy Lounge - Location: Terminal E, Airside, 3rd Floor, Gate 39. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (3,500₽) • Book Online (£33 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
- Space Lounge - Location: Terminal E, Airside, 2nd Floor, opposite Gate 39. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Book Online (£33 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
- All Star Lounge - Location: Terminal F, Airside, 3rd Floor, in front of Gate 52. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (3,500₽) • Book Online (£33 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
- Classic Lounge - Location: Terminal F, Airside, 2nd Floor, near Gate 42. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (3,500₽) • Book Online (£33 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
- Amber Lounge - Terminal F, Airside, 2nd Floor. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Book Online (£33.00 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
Free WiFi is available at Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport, but only for travellers who have a Russian mobile phone. Connect to the "Wifi_Free" network for unlimited access. Non-Russian travellers will need to connect to WiFi inside the cafes.
If sleeping in Sheremetyevo Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels inside and near the airport:
- Vozdushny V-Express Capsule Hotel - Located in the transit area of Terminal E (accessible from terminals D and F) and the 5th level of Aeroexpress Terminal. Rooms resemble the cabins of a cruise liner, and have private bathroom, tv, telephone, and internet. Minimum 4 hour stay.
- Radisson Blu Hotel Sheremetyevo Airport - Connected to the airport via walkway located on the third floor (Departures area) between terminals D, E and F.
- Park Inn by Radisson Sheremetyevo Airport Hotel - (3 min walk from the airport terminals) Located within short walking distance of Terminals D, E, and F. Free shuttle runs every 30 minutes between hotel and Terminals D, E, and F. Day rooms are available.
- Sheraton Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport Hotel - (5 min from the airport) Free 24-hr airport shuttle goes to Terminals D, E, and F.
- Novotel Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport - (5 min walk from Terminal 2). There is a wing of the hotel that is accessible to transit passengers. Free shuttle bus to/from Terminals D,E, and F every 20 minutes (6:00AM to 10:00PM) and every 30 minutes (10:00PM to 6:00AM); and Terminals B and C hourly, upon request. Day use rooms are offered for 8 hours between 8:00AM to 8:00PM.
- Kora-VIP Hotel - (4 min from the airport) Located between Terminals 1 and 2. Free airport shuttle available on request (must be pre-booked).
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Shermetyevo Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- Art in the Airport - Art exhibitions are on display throughout the airport.
- ATMs - Available in every terminal.
- Baby Care Facilities - The Mother and Child Room is very home-like, with two bedrooms, kitchen, dining area with chairs, and restrooms with changing tables and a shower. The kitchen is equipped with refrigerator, microwave, and electric kettle. There is a colorful play area with playhouse, toys and building blocks for the little ones, and Playstation video gaming for older children. Entry is free, but requires a passport, proof of flight (plane tickets or boarding passes), and health certificates for a child
- Car Rental - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty Free is available in every terminal as well as a large selection of stores for all your needs.
- Family Services - Strollers are available free of charge. There are five childcare rooms that have with play areas. A mother and child room is equipped with two bedrooms, toilet rooms with the baby-changing tables, shower, play area, and kitchen. Location: Terminal, C, Airside, 3rd Floor, room 3.126. Hours: open 24 hours. Max. stay is 24 hours, but you may be limited to 3-4 hours during peak hours. Sheremetyevo organizes contests, guided tours, New Year parties, and games especially for children.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours: Zhurfiks Café (Terminal E, airside, 3rd Floor).
Pro Tip: Clare tells us Burgers & Bakery @ terminal E has great burgers and unlimited wifi with purchase. Cost AUD$20 for drink, burger (fresh not frozen beef), fries. Burger King is cheaper but seats are very comfy and big area to chill out in. Sat there for ages and staff were really friendly. Not a lot of customers in am, may be different in pm.
- Luggage Storage - Luggage and outerwear (hats, gloves, coats, etc.) can be stored in any of the airport’s Left Luggage offices. If storing your items for less than 8 days, the rate is 400 ₽ per bag/item for the first day and 300 ₽ per bag/item for each following day, up to 8 days.
- Luggage Trolley - Available free of charge
- Luggage Wrapping - Pack & Fly luggage wrapping is available as follows:
- Terminal C - Location: Left and right wings of the special control areas. Fee: 400 RUB per bag/item
- Terminal D - Location: Center of Departure lounge, 3rd Floor. Fee: 500 - 800 RUB per bag/item, depending on weight.
- Terminal E - Location: Departure lounge, 2nd Floor. Fee: 400 RUB per bag/item.
- Terminal F - Location: on the 2nd floor near the entrance at the detection gateways. Fee: 400 RUB per bag/item.
- Aeroexpress - 3rd Floor. Fee: 500 RUB per bag/item. *All locations are open 24 hours.
- Pharmacy - There are pharmacies available in all Terminals except Terminal 1.
- Post Office - Russian Mail. Location: Terminals C and F. Hours: 8:00AM – 5:00PM (Mon-Fri) 8:00AM - 3:00PM (Sat-Sun).
- Relgious spaces
- Cathedral of the Resurrection of Christ - located near Terminal F. Hours: 8:00AM - 8:00PM. Every Friday at 2:00PM is the rite of blessing the water, and at 2:30PM is the requiem service.
- Chapel of Nicholas the Miracle Worker - located on the 2nd floor in the transit area between Railway Terminal AeroExpress and Terminal E. Hours: 8:00AM - 6:00PM.
- Chapel of Michael the Archangel (orthodox) - located at Terminal C, 3rd Floor. Hours: 8:00AM - 8:00PM.
- Showers - Need to feel refreshed before or after a long flight? Shower rooms are available for a fee of 370 RUB for 30 minutes, and includes a towel, shower gel, and soap. To pay for and use the showers, see the receptionist in the Baikal Lounge. Shower Room Location: Terminal D, landside, 2nd Floor, near the Baikal Lounge. Hours: 9:00AM - 9:00PM.
- Skype Booth - Passengers can use the Skype internet video-calling service to check-in. All they have to do is to call "svo_checkin" and follow the officer’s instructions. During the check-in, passengers will be asked to show their passports and to tell the officer the date of the flight and the number of their e-tickets.
The airport is open 24 hours.
The airport is served by several bus lines, all which depart from one of three Moscow Metro stations: Rechnoy Vokzal, Planernaya or Leninskiy Prospekt. Buses 949 (ticket price ₽75) and 851 (ticket price ₽30) run between Rechnoy Vokzal and the airport. Buses 948 (ticket price ₽75) and 817 (ticket price ₽30) run between Planernaya and the airport. Bus N1 (Russian lettering: "H1") is the night route departing from Sheremetyevo at 1 to 5:30 AM, arriving to airport at 3 to 7 AM. The bus runs past many Moscow Metro stations (f.e. Voikovskaya, Belorusskaya, Oktyabrskaya, Yugo-Zapadnaya) although Metro is closed from 1 to 5:30 AM. It also stops near Lubyanka where almost all of night routes stops. For routes, visit the MosgorTrans web site.
Many local hotels provide airport shuttle service as a courtesy to their guests. Ask your hotel for shuttle service availability and details. The following hotels offer airport shuttle service: Aviator Hotel Sheremetyevo • Hotel Novotel Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport • Kora VIP • Park Inn by Radisson Sheremetyevo Airport Moscow Hotel • Sheraton Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport Hotel • SkyPoint Sheremetyevo Hotel.
Terminals D, E, F are interconnected by passenger walkways. A free shuttle bus runs between the South Terminal Complex (D, E, F, Aeroexpress) and B and C terminals for passengers only.
Taxis are readily available outside of 1st floor Arrivals at Terminals C, D, E and F. Official taxis can hired at the Taxi Desk located inside of the terminals.
Aeroexpress is a high-speed train service that travels between the airport and Belorussky Rail Terminal with a total one-way travel time of 35 minutes. Belorussky Rail Terminal, also known as Moscow Smolenskaya Railway Station, provides connections to long-distance trains traveling from the northeast, south, west and southwest of Moscow, as well as Zamoskvoretskaya and Koltsevaya lines on the Moscow Metro. Aeroexpress trains run non-stop between 5:00AM - 1:30AM with departures every 30 minutes in either direction. A one-way ticket is ₽470, sold at ticket counters, vending machines, at Pay@Gate service turnstiles, at partner-owned ticket outlets and by using a rechargeable Troika card. Discounted fares of ₽420 are available if you purchase via website or mobile app. Aeroexpress can be accessed via entrances 2 or 4 of the Belorussky Rail Terminal, or via Terminals D, E and F at Sheremetyevo Airport. For further information, visit the Aeroexpress website.
Last Updated: 13 October 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.