Munich Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Munich Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
When we got to terminal 2 there were cots!! We were so surprised and happy that we didn't have to continue sleeping on benches. -pattella2001
Airside, Terminal 2. photo credit: Piccola Pic
Welcome to Munich! One of the busiest airports in Europe, the efficient design and comforts will probably keep you from noticing.
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at Munich Airport.
What to Expect
- Clean, modern airport with plenty of seating, though they may have started adding more armrests this spring.
- There are two terminals: T1 houses Gates A-E, and T2 is home to Gates G, H, K, and L. They are not connected, but the Munich Airport Center is situated between them.
- In general the staff and security are tolerant of overnight travellers looking to sleep.
- Two 24-hour eateries are available in the Munich Airport Center (Landside). Airside eateries close by 10pm.
- Airport security closes around 11pm and opens again around 4:30am.
- WiFi is available. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- T2, home of Lufthansa, is the place to be with more comfortable chairs and benches. Some travellers report free coffee and tea between gates.
- There are three designated rest zones with reclining seats and foot rests. For locations, see Rest Zones in our airport guide below.
- Single travellers looking for a private nap can use the pay-per-hour sleeping cabins in T2. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there is a hotel situated between the two terminals and several hotels are located nearby. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Showers are available for a fee. See Showers in the airport guide below.
- Economy class passengers can pay to use one of the first class lounges. See our Airport Lounges section for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Munich Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Munich airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Atlantic Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, airside, Departures C, Level 3 (Non-Schengen Area). Showers are available. Hours: 6:00AM - 11:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (29,75 €) • Book Online (£25.00 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
- Europa Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, airside, Module D, Level 5 (Schengen Area). Hours: 7:00AM - 8:30PM (Mon - Fri) • 7:00AM - 7:00PM (Sat) • 10:30PM - 8:30PM (Sun). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (29,75 €) • Book Online (£25.00 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
- Lufthansa Business Lounge (Schengen) - Location: Terminal 2 Satellite, Airside, After Passport Control, Level 4, opposite Gate K11. Schengen flights only. Hours: 5:00AM - 10:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Book Online (US$ 63).
- Lufthansa Business Lounge (non-Schengen) - Location: Terminal 2 Satellite, Airside, After Passport Control, Level 4, opposite Gate K11. Non-Schengen flights only. Hours: 5:00AM - 10:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Book Online (US$ 63).
Free WiFi is available at the Munich Airport. Connect to the "Telekom" network. After registering with your name and email address, you will receive a confirmation email. Keep this email as it contains a link for you to change or cancel your account.
Internet access is also available via the Internet Points at the following rates: €5 for the first hour, and €4 per hour thereafter. To access, pay a €5 cash deposit to borrow a chip card from one of the Service Centers. Load the card with credit (minimum of €1,25) and redeem it at one of the computers in the Internet Point. Internet Point locations: near the Service Centers in Terminals 1 and 2 (Level 3) and in the Terminal 2 Satellite (Levels 4-5). Hours: Open 24 hours.
If sleeping in Munich Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Nap Cabs - Self-service sleep pods with full bed, small desk, A/C, privacy blinds, internet access, and more. Two locations: Terminal 2/Level 4/Gate 6 and Terminal 2/Level 5/Gate H32. Nap cabs can be booked and purchased on-site (credit card only). Rates are by the hour: 15€ per hour, 30€ minimum (maximum of 12 hours stay). No advanced reservation.
- Hilton Munich Airport (formerly Kempinski) - Located at the airport, between Terminals 1 and 2, it’s just a short walk from baggage claim to the hotel.
- Novotel Munich Airport - (5 min from the airport) The hotel does not have a shuttle, but guests can take Bus 635 from the airport, which runs every 20 minutes and stops at the hotel (bus fare is 1,40€ per person, each way).
- NH München Airport - (5 min from the airport) Airport shuttle bus is available for 5€ per person, each way. Departs every 30 minutes from 4:30AM to 11:00PM. The shuttle is shared with two other hotels and stops at Munich Airport Center and Terminal 2.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near the Munich Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- Airbräu - Visit the world’s first airport brewery located here at the Munich Airport. Seven different kind of beers are brewed. Location: MAC Forum, landside, Level 3. Hours: 8:00AM - 1:00AM. The smaller Airbräu Next To Heaven is located in T2, airside, Level 5 (non-Schengen), near Gate H.
- Airport Tours - After leaving the public area and passing through security screening, the 12 kilometer route covers the Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 aprons, passing both runways and the two fire stations. You will see the freight buildings and maintenance hangars, the engine testing facility and the storage tanks while picking up all kinds of information on every aspect of ramp operations. Tours are available daily for individual travellers at 1:30PM (Mon - Fri) and 11:30AM, 1:30PM, 3:30PM (Sat & Sun). Tours are conducted in German. To book contact Visitor Services at besucherservice[at]munich-airport.de
- ATMs / Cash Machines - 24-hour ATMs are available landside in the MAC South, Level 3.
- Baby Care Facilities - Diaper changing facilities are available in the following locations: T1, Level 3, next to the Service Center • T2, airside, the disabled washrooms at Gates G and H (Levels 3-5) / Gates K and L (Levels 4-5). Strollers are available for use in the secure area of Terminal 1, free of charge. Pick one up after you clear security and use it all the way to the boarding gate!
- Barber Shop - Brants Barber Shop. Location: T2, airside, Departures Level 4, Gate G. Hours: 6:30AM - 9:00PM.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Casino - Feeling lucky? Video slots and entertainment are available at casinos located in both terminals. Unfortunately, both casinos are located before security.
- Casino Royal - Location: T1, landside, Module C, Level 3. Hours: 6:00AM – 1:00AM.
- Merkur Spielothek - Location: T2, landside, Arrivals, Level 3. Hours: 6:00AM - 1:00AM (Mon-Sat) 11:00AM - 1:00AM (Sun/Holidays).
- Children’s Area - There is much for kids to do at Munich Airport:
- Kinderland by Lufthansa has aviation-themed climbing and sliding facilities, a ball pit, toys, gaming area, an arts and crafts corner, children’s cinema and more! Kinderland is manned by trained childcare specialists, who watch the children while adults enjoy quiet time in the adjacent Parents Lounge. Located at the Kinderland entrance is a colorful and child-safe new play zone for children ages 3 years and under, with soft toys, furnishings, play equipment, a changing area, and high chairs. Parents must supervise their little ones in this play area. Entrance to Kinderland and the toddler play zone is free for Lufthansa Jetfriends members and the children of first class and business passengers with a valid ticket for the current date. Location: MAC Forum South, landside, Level 4, between Terminals 1 and 2. (Transfer passengers may require a visa to enter). Hours: 12:00AM - 6:00PM (Tues-Fri) 10:00AM - 6:00PM (Sat,Sun,Holidays).
- Seven play corners, open to all children, can be found in the following locations:
- Central Area: landside, Level 3, near Leysieffer restaurant
- Terminal 1: landside, Departures/Arrivals B&C (Level 3) • C&D (Level 4)
- Terminal 2: landside, Arrivals, Level 3 • airside, Departure, Level 5, Gate H and Gate L• airside, Departure, Level 4, Gate K
- Cloakroom - Heading somewhere warm? Visit the Service Center and deposit your winter items (up to 7 items per person) for €3,50 for the first day and €1,00 each additional day. There are two service center locations: MAC, Level 3 (Hours: Open 24 hours) • T2, landside, Arrivals Level 3 (Hours: 5:00AM - 12:00AM).
- Cots - In the event of bad weather or massive flight cancellations, this airport has a supply of 500 cots for stranded travellers. If you are stranded during a weather delay, contact an airport employee to find out when the cots are located. Unfortunately, the cots are not available for travellers who simply decide to spend the night in the airport. Due to the amount of wacky email we receive about this, we'll also let you know that cots cannot be "reserved" and we don't know where they are kept. Please speak to a gate agent or an airport employee.
- Currency Exchange - Sparkasse Flughafen offers currency exchange at two locations: MAC, landside, Level 3 • T2, landside, Departures, Level 4, Gate G. Reisebank has multiple locations throughout the airport (MAC South, MAC North, T2 Arrivals and T2 Departure Gates). Hours vary for all banks and locations.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty-free shopping is available in Terminal 1 Departures (Gates A-D), Terminal 2 Departures (Gates G/H/K/L). A wide variety of retails shops is also available.
- Fitness - Enjoy whirlpool, sauna, 17m swimming pool, steam bath and fitness center access at Hilton Fit & Fly Spa - Location: Hilton Munich Airport, beside Terminal 2, Level 03. Hours: 7:00AM - 10:00PM (Mon - Fri) and 8:00AM - 10:00PM (Sat & Sun). Try a 20-minute EMS workout at Bodystreet Studio. Location: MAC Forum South, landside, Level 4. Hours: 10:00AM - 8:00PM (Mon-Fri) 10:00AM - 2:00PM (Sat).
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours: Leysieffer Restaurant & Cafe (MAC Forum, landside, Level 3) • McDonald’s (MAC Forum, landside, Level 3). Beverage and snack vending machines are located landside and airside in Terminal 2. Edeka (Supermarket) has 2 locations in the MAC Forum (Location: Landside, Level 3 has the best hours, open from 5:30AM - 12:00AM).
- Grocery Store - If you need to pick up groceries on the way home to your destination in Munich, stop at Edeka. A variety of produce, deli meats and cheeses, baked goods, and everyday household and personal items are available. Two locations: MAC Forum, landside, Level 3 (Hours: 5:30AM - 12:00AM) • T2, landside, Arrivals, Level 3 (Hours: 5:30AM - 10:00PM).
- Information Desk - Locations: Munich Airport Center (MAC), Level 3 • T1, Level 4, Departure Areas A/B/C/D • T2, Departures area, Level 4 • T2, Arrivals area, Level 3. Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Location: Munich Airport Center and Terminal 2. Hours: open 24 hours. Rates: €2,30 (up to 5kg) • €3,30 (up to 20kg) • €4,80 (up to 30kg) • €7,50 (up to 40kg) per item for a 3-hour period. Daily rates are €3,80 (up to 5kg) • €4,80 (up to 20kg) • €8,00 (up to 30kg) • €10,00 (up to 40kg) per item.
- Massage - Chi-Mas Institute offers mobile acupressure massage. Location: T2, airside, Departures, Gate G. Hours: 7:30AM - 9:00PM.
- Massage Chairs - Relax and let the stress melt away in a ReMass shiatsu massage chair. Fee: €2 for 10 minutes. Location: T1, landside, Level 4, Modules A/B/C • T1, airside, Level 4, Modules A and C.
- Medical Services - A wide range of preventative and emergency medical services is available at MediCare Munich Airport Medical Center. Location: T1, Module E, Level 3. Hours: unknown. If you need to see a specialist, head to one of the specialized medical clinics in the Municipal Airport Centre. Travellers and visitors to the airport can be treated by a specialist from one of the following fields: Gynecology / gynecological surgery, radiology, ophthalmology / ophthalmic surgery, urology, orthopedic medicine, internal medicine, ear/nose/throat, dentistry, and physiotherapy. Location: MAC, landside, Level 6. Hours: Vary per clinic.
- Mobile Charging - Power outlets are located throughout the terminals.
- Pharmacy - Müller Drugstore. Location: MAC Forum, landside, Level 3. Hours: 7:00AM - 10:00PM • Prescription medications, natural medicines, blood testing, vaccination advice and more are available at Metropolitan Pharmacy. Location: T2, airside, Level 4 Departures, Gate G. Hours: 6:30AM - 9:00PM. Health and beauty aids can also be purchased from the Metropolitan Pharmacies located airside at Gate H (Level 5) and landside at MAC Forum (Level 3).
- Post Office - Postal services, money orders and more are available at Deutsche Post. Location: MAC Forum, landside, Level 3. Hours: 7:30AM - 9:00PM (Mon-Fri) 10:00AM - 5:00PM (Sat,Sun).
- Rest & Relaxation Zone - If you are looking to rest or catch up on some work, there are three relaxation zones. There is a work zone with desks, chairs and power outlets. Locations: Terminal 2, Level H, Non-Schengen departures • Terminal 2, Level G, Schengen Departures, near Gate G16 • Terminal 2, Level G, Schengen Departures, near Gates G43/44. There are 34 reclining seats for rest and 20 business stations with power connections.
- Service Centers - Fax/copy service, laundry service, bus ticket sales and a host of other useful services are available at the Service Center. Two locations: MAC, Level 3 (Hours: Open 24 hours) • T2, landside, Arrivals Level 3 (Hours: 5:00AM - 12:00AM).
- Showers - Freshen up before or after a long flight with a shower in one of the following locations:
- Munich Airport Center (MAC) - Report to the service center for access. Rate: €15 plus €20 deposit, includes shower gel and a towel. Location: Level 3, next to the parking office.
- Terminal 2 (Gates G,H) - Report to the service center for access. Rate €15, includes shower and a towel. Location: landside, Arrivals Level 3.
- Terminal 2 Satellite (Gates K,L) - Pay for and access the showers via touchscreen. Rate: €15. Location: airside, Level 5.
- Spa & Salon Services - M-Crew Friseure offers haircuts and styling. Location: T1, landside, Module D, Level 4. Hours: 7:30AM - 9:00PM. Hair color, cut, and styling is available at Bel Hair unisex hair salon. Location: T2, landside, Arrivals, Level 3. Hours: 7:30AM - 9:00PM. Luxurious spa and beauty treatments are available at Cosmetic Institute. Location: T2, airside, Departure, Level 5, Gate H. Hours: 7:30AM - 10:00PM.
- Visitor Terrace - Enjoy views of the eastern apron, both runways, and the new satellite facility. Telescopes are available for a closer look. You can catch a behind-the-scenes look at the satellite exhibition area from the northern end of the terrace. Healthy snacks and light meals are available at the new Cloud 7 restaurant. Visitor Terrace entrance fee: Free! Location: Terminal 2, Level 7. Access the terrace via Skywalk, a glass tunnel that is accessible from Level 05 (landside). Hours: 8:00AM - 10:00PM daily. Cloud 7 restaurant is open 10:00AM - 8:00PM.
- Visitor's Park
- Historic Aircraft - You can view three historic aircraft - Super Constellation, Douglas DC-3 and Junker Ju 52. Rate: 1€ Hours: 9:30AM - 5:00PM.
- Information Centre - Child-friendly multimedia islands and information kiosks provide an overview of flight operations at the airport. A gift shop is also available. Hours: 9:30AM - 6:00PM (closed at 5:00PM during winter months).
- Minigolf - There is a 18-hole mini-golf course. Rate: 3.50 € for adults and 2 € for children. Hours: 9:30AM - 5:00PM.
- Playground - The large playground is divided into five sections, based on five continents: Africa, Asia, Europe, North and South America. Within each section are culturally-themed jungle gyms, swings and sandboxes built with materials from the continent that it represents. A restaurant is located adjacent to the playground area. The highlight of the playground is the Kids’ Tower, a replica of the airport’s control tower, complete with a slide from the top! Hours: unknown
- Visitor's Hill - Climb the 172 steps to a viewing platform on top of the visitors hill, where you can enjoy panoramic views of the activity in and around Terminal 1, the apron and both runways. Please note, the path to the platform is not wheelchair or stroller-accessible. Entry fee is 1,00 € at the coin-operated turnstile located at the base of the steps. Hours: Open 24 hours.
More things to do at Munich Airport:
If you have more than 4 hours, you can do the following visit the following:
- Freisling, a Bavarian town, and the Weihenstephan Brewery.
- Oberschleissheim, which is the home of three castles and a park. The Flugwerft Schleissheim is within walking distance.
- Therme Erding, the largest Hot Water Complex in Europe, offers saunas and 16 water slides
With more than 6 hours, you will have time to Shop, Dine or join a city tour of Munich.
The airport is open 24 hours. A valid flight ticket is required for travellers who want to spend the night in the airport.
The airport is served by a vast number of bus routes. The bus stop is located in front of the central area between Terminals 1 and 2.
The following car rental agencies operate onsite in areas B and C in the central area between the two terminals: Avis, Buchbinder/Global Drive, Budget, Enterprise, Europcar, Hertz, Sixt and Thrifty.
Many local hotels provide airport shuttle service as a courtesy to their guests. Ask your hotel for shuttle service availability and details. The following hotels offer airport shuttle service: Airport Hotel Regent • Airport Regentpark Hotel • Arcadia Hotel Munchen Airport • Dorint Hotel Airport Munchen/Freising • Gasthof Lerner • Hilton Munich Airport • Holiday Inn Express Munich Airport • Hotel Garni Haus zum Gutenberg • Hotel Gasthof Alte Post • Hotel Kandler • Mercure Airport Munchen • Movenpick Hotel Munchen Airport • Munchen Airport Marriott Hotel • NH Muenchen Airport • Sheraton Munchen Airport Hotel.
Limousine and Transfer Service
Several private companies offer limousine or airport transfer services. Transfer services are a shared ride service, traveling to either one destination or several destinations as required by the passengers on board. Limousines provide a more luxurious and private mode of transportation. For more information, contact your service provider of choice.
Several types of taxis are readily available at the airport to accommodate passengers’ needs and party size, from sedans to eight passenger minibuses, and passengers can opt for smoking or non-smoking vehicles. Drivers must take passengers to their requested destinations if the destination is located within the mandatory coverage area. Fares are charged according to the trip, not the number of passengers. Taxis can be found at:
Terminal 1 > Arrival and Departure Level E04 in front of Modules A-E
Terminal 2 > Access ramp for buses and taxis to the north of Arrival Level E03 and Departure Level E04
Central Area > Level E03 to the north of the Central Area
Two S-Bahn train lines operate between the airport and the city center, running in 10 minute intervals. The S1 runs between the airport and Ostbahnhof, stopping along the way at Munich Hauptbahnhof (the main train station) and Marienplatz, where passengers can transfer to main and regional train lines. The S8 runs between the airport and Herrsching, with stops at Munich Hauptbahnhof, Ostbahnhof and Pasing, where passengers can also transfer to main and regional train lines.
Last Updated: 15 October 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.