Munich Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Munich Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
When we got to terminal 2 there were cots!! We were so surprised and happy that we didn't have to continue sleeping on benches. -pattella2001
The Munich airport is like a huge shopping mall, and the two terminals are connected by a very large courtyard. There is easy and close access between the two, with no trams or other public transportation needed.
We were hoping to get our boarding passes early, so arrived at 8pm. The ticket counter for our airline was closed, so we were not able to get to our gate in T2, where the next morning we found lounge chairs, cushioned seating with no arms, and a 'napcab' (hourly fee for use).
Since we were forced to sleep in a public area where there was no restricted access, we were a bit nervous - but the constant presence of cleaning staff and security made it feel safer. We first tried to sleep on benches next to Lufthansa check-in on floor 2 (one floor up from courtyard) of T2, but a cleaning man directed us to the top floor (3) of T2 where there were booths outside of 'Pizza Culture'. I thought security would throw us out, but when they passed us, they just nodded and moved on. There was a family sleeping in booths nearby. Clean bathrooms were located by walking through the nearby 'Maredo Grill and Lounge'.
At midnight the lights over our booth went off and things were quiet. We actually got about 3 hours sleep there. We would have slept longer if we didn't have to be up at 4am to get our boarding pass. We were then able to get breakfast at the 24-hour McDonald's, located in the courtyard between the two terminals.
All in all, a good experience.
Have you been to Munich Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Munich airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Atlantic Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, airside, Departures C, Level 3 (Non-Schengen Area). Showers are available. Hours: 6am - 11pm. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (29,75 €) • Book Online (£25.00) • Priority Pass.
- Europa Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, airside, Module D, Level 5 (Schengen Area). Hours: 7:00AM - 8:45PM. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (29,75 €) • Book Online (£25.00) • Priority Pass.
- Free WiFi is available at the Munich Airport. Connect to the "Telekom" network. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email. Keep this email as it contains a link for you to change or cancel your account.
- Internet kiosks/stations are located in the Terminal 1, Service Center (Central Area) and Terminal 2, Arrivals Area, Level 03. Hours: open 24 hours
If sleeping in Munich Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Nap Cabs - Self-service sleep pods with full bed, small desk, A/C, privacy blinds, internet access, and more. Two locations: Terminal 2/Level 4/Gate 6 and Terminal 2/Level 5/Gate H32. Nap cabs can be booked and purchased on-site (credit card only). Rates are by the hour: 15€ per hour, 30€ minimum (maximum of 12 hours stay). No advanced reservation.
- Hilton Munich Airport (formerly Kempinski) - Located at the airport, between Terminals 1 and 2, it’s just a short walk from baggage claim to the hotel.
- Novotel Munich Airport - (5 min from the airport) The hotel does not have a shuttle, but guests can take Bus 635 from the airport, which runs every 20 minutes and stops at the hotel (bus fare is 1,40€ per person, each way).
- NH München Airport - (5 min from the airport) Airport shuttle bus is available for 5€ per person, each way. Departs every 30 minutes from 4:30am to 11pm. The shuttle is shared with two other hotels and stops at Munich Airport Center and Terminal 2.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near the Munich Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- Airbräu - Visit the world’s first airport brewery located here at the Munich Airport. Seven different kind of beers are brewed.
- Airport Tours - After leaving the public area and passing through security screening, the 12 kilometer route covers the Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 aprons, passing both runways and the two fire stations. You will see the freight buildings and maintenance hangars, the engine testing facility and the storage tanks while picking up all kinds of information on every aspect of ramp operations. Tours are available daily for individual travellers at 130pm (Mon - Fri) and 1130am, 130pm, 330pm (Sat & Sun). Tours are conducted in German. To book contact Visitor Services at besucherservice[at]munich-airport.de
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Banks with ATMs are located landside, but there are also cash machines located airside.
- Car Rentals - Alamo • Avis • Europcar • Hertz • National • Sixt • Terstappen. Location: Car rental center, Central Area.
- Casino - Casino Royal - Location: Landside, Terminal 1, Module 3, Level 3. Hours: 8:00AM – 1:00PM.
- Cots - The airport has a supply of 500 cots and blankets available in the event of flight cancellations.
- Currency Exchange - There are several banks that offer currency exchange services.
- Family Services
- Strollers - Free strollers are available to use in Terminal 1, once you have past through security.
- Food & Drinks - Beverage and snack vending machines are located landside and airside in Terminal 2.
There are many food and beverages concessions, but I have only listed the ones that are open 24-hour below:
»MAC Forum: McDonald's
»Munich Airport Centre: Leysieffer
- Games - The Merkur Spielothek offers games and gambling. Location: Terminal 1, Level 3, and Terminal 2, level 3
- Information Desk - The main Information Desk is located in the Munich Airport Center (Level 03). Hours: open 24 hours. There are another 6 Information Desks located in Terminals 1 and 2 with reduced hours.
- iPilot Flight Simulator - The Boeing 737NG flight simulator gives a realistic impression of the world of flying. Location: Terminal 2, Level 03
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Location: Munich Airport Center and Terminal 2. Hours: open 24 hours. Rates: €2,30 (up to 5kg) • €3,30 (up to 20kg) • €4,80 (up to 30kg) • €7,50 (up to 40kg) per item for a 3-hour period. Daily rates are €3,80 (up to 5kg) • €4,80 (up to 20kg) • €8,00 (up to 30kg) • €10,00 (up to 40kg) per item.
- Massage Chairs - Locations: Landside – Level 4, Modules A,B and C. Airside, Level 4, Modules A and C. Fees: €2,00 for 10 minutes.
- Mobile Charging - Power outlets are located throughout the terminals.
- Pharmacy - Metropolitan Pharmacy has 3 locations: Terminal 2, Airside, Level 4 • Terminal 2, Airside, Level 5 • MAC, Landside, Level 3
- Rest & Relaxation Zone - If you are looking to rest or catch up on some work, there are three relaxation zones. There is a work zone with desks, chairs and power outlets. Locations: Terminal 2, Level H, Non-Schengen departures • Terminal 2, Level G, Schengen Departures, near Gate G16 • Terminal 2, Level G, Schengen Departures, near Gates G43/44. There are 34 reclining seats for rest and 20 business stations with power connections.
- Showers - Location: Central Area, Level 03, next to Service Center (men's showers) • Central Area, Level 03, next to parking office (women's showers) • Terminal 2, Landside. Towels and shower gel is available in the vending machines located in the Central Area. Rate: 15 euros.
- Spa - Hilton Fit & Fly Spa - Location: Hilton Hotel, beside Terminal 2, Level 03. Hours: 7am - 10pm (Mon - Fri) and 8am - 10pm (Sat & Sun).
- Visitor Terrace - The Terrace provides a view of the eastern apron and both runways. Telescopes are available. Location: Terminal 2, Level 07. Access the terrace via the Skywalk, a glass tunnel that is accessible on Level 05. Rate: 2€ Hours: 8am - 10pm
- Visitor's Park
- Historic Aircraft: You can view three historic aircraft - Super Constellation, Douglas DC-3 and Ju 52. Rate: 1€
- Information Centre: features multimedia islands and information kiosks designed for children, providing an overview of flight operations at the airport.
- Cinema: There is a 60-seat cinema showin aviatian-themed movies. Rate: Free.
- Minigolf: There is a 18-hole mini-golf course. Hours: 930 am - 5pm (Daily). Rate: 3.50 € for adults and 2 € for children
- Visitor's Hill: Climb the 172 steps to a viewing platform on top of the visitors hill, 28 meters above the airport. View Terminal 1, the apron and the ongoing flight operations on both runways! Hours: 930am-5pm. Rate: 1€
More things to do at Munich Airport:
If you have more than 4 hours, you can do the following visit the following:
- Freisling, a Bavarian town, and the Weihenstephan Brewery.
- Oberschleissheim, which is the home of three castles and a park. The Flugwerft Schleissheim is within walking distance.
- Therme Erding, the largest Hot Water Complex in Europe, offers saunas and 16 water slides
With more than 6 hours, you will have time to Shop, Dine or join a city tour of Munich.
The airport is open 24 hours.
@AirportSleeper Munich airport with accommodating seats without armrests and free tea/coffee when you wake up. And no overkill AC.— Aleksandra Pawlik (@aleksandrana) January 6, 2014
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Numerous bus routes connect the airport to the surrounding cities. The bus station is in front of the central area at Terminal 1 and 2. Further details on the Munich Airport web site.
Two lines depart from the airport to the city center every 10 minutes. The Flughafen (Airport) stop is close to Terminal 1 and 2. For addresses on Nordallee and Südallee or the visitors park, get off at Besucherpark. For more details visit the MVV web site.
Taxis are available from:
Terminal 1: On the arrival and departure level E04 in front of Modules A-E
Terminal 2: Along the access ramp for buses and taxis to the north of the arrival level E03 and the departure level E04
Central Area: Level E03 to the north of the Central Area
Providers are available in the Terminal's Areas B and C.
Selected shuttle services are available to take you from Munich Airport to your hotel.
We Need Your Feedback!
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Munich Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2015 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2015.
- Write a Review - Please take a few minutes to write your airport review. Whether you provided a quick tip or a detailed review, you will be helping other travellers in a similar situation. Leave a guest review OR register for an account.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Last Updated: 13 August 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.