Munich Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Munich Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
When we got to terminal 2 there were cots!! We were so surprised and happy that we didn't have to continue sleeping on benches. -pattella2001
By a traveller
October 2014 - I arrived Munich airport around 9pm. I had searched beforehand all the possible places to sleep and had few good options in terminal 2. However, after 10pm (or a bit later) all the restaurants and other possible places to get food closed. Had I known this, I would have hurried to buy as much as possible because my flight would leave 9am the next morning. So here I was left without food for the night. I found out that there is a 24 hour McDonalds at the Munich Airport Center, which meant that I would have to exit the terminal and then go through the security again to get back to the terminal. It wasnt as simple as I thought it would be because the security would open again at 4.30am so I had to wait for it for 5-6 hours. I left anyway. In the Munich Airport center I found also a supermarket with great selection of salads and other snacks to take away. Also thanks to the review from AnnArborTraveller (2011) I found the booths from the 5th floor (above the departure hall in terminal 2) in Bagutta Pizza Culture. It was quiet and a lot nicer place to relax and sleep than some hard benches. Some security guards came once to ask to show my boarding pass but other than that I was left by myself. So even though in the beginning things did not look very good, it turned out to be fine. Just to emphasize that in the terminals the restaurants do close quite early (10pm) and the airport security opens at 4.30pm! I would give 3 stars to the night here.
Have you been to Munich Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Munich airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Atlantic Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, airside, Departures C, Level 3 (Non-Schengen Area). Showers are available. Hours: 6am - 11pm. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (29,75 €) • Book Online (£25.00) • Priority Pass.
- Europa Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, airside, Module D, Level 5 (Schengen Area). Hours: 7:00AM - 8:45PM. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (29,75 €) • Book Online (£25.00) • Priority Pass.
- Free WiFi is available at the Munich Airport. Connect to the "Telekom" network. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email. Keep this email as it contains a link for you to change or cancel your account.
- Internet kiosks/stations are located in the Terminal 1, Service Center (Central Area) and Terminal 2, Arrivals Area, Level 03. Hours: open 24 hours
If sleeping in Munich Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Nap Cabs - Self-service sleep pods with full bed, small desk, A/C, privacy blinds, internet access, and more. Two locations: Terminal 2/Level 4/Gate 6 and Terminal 2/Level 5/Gate H32. Nap cabs can be booked and purchased on-site (credit card only). Rates are by the hour: 15€ per hour, 30€ minimum (maximum of 12 hours stay). No advanced reservation.
- Hilton Munich Airport (formerly Kempinski) - Located at the airport, between Terminals 1 and 2, it’s just a short walk from baggage claim to the hotel.
- Novotel Munich Airport - (5 min from the airport) The hotel does not have a shuttle, but guests can take Bus 635 from the airport, which runs every 20 minutes and stops at the hotel (bus fare is 1,40€ per person, each way).
- NH München Airport - (5 min from the airport) Airport shuttle bus is available for 5€ per person, each way. Departs every 30 minutes from 4:30am to 11pm. The shuttle is shared with two other hotels and stops at Munich Airport Center and Terminal 2.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near the Munich Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price. We also have a list of hotels that offer airport shuttles in the Airport Transportation section below.
- Airbräu - Visit the world’s first airport brewery located here at the Munich Airport. Seven different kind of beers are brewed.
- Airport Tours - After leaving the public area and passing through security screening, the 12 kilometer route covers the Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 aprons, passing both runways and the two fire stations. You will see the freight buildings and maintenance hangars, the engine testing facility and the storage tanks while picking up all kinds of information on every aspect of ramp operations. Tours are available daily for individual travellers at 130pm (Mon - Fri) and 1130am, 130pm, 330pm (Sat & Sun). Tours are conducted in German. To book contact Visitor Services at besucherservice[at]munich-airport.de
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Banks with ATMs are located landside, but there are also cash machines located airside.
- Casino - Casino Royal - Location: Landside, Terminal 1, Module 3, Level 3. Hours: 8:00AM – 1:00PM.
- Cloakroom - Heading somewhere warm? Visit the Service Center and deposit your winter items (up to 7 items per person) for €3,50 for the first day and €1,00 additional per day.
- Cots - The airport has a supply of 500 cots and blankets available in the event of flight cancellations.
- Currency Exchange - There are several banks that offer currency exchange services.
- Family Services
- Strollers - Free strollers are available to use in Terminal 1, once you have past through security.
- Food & Drinks - Beverage and snack vending machines are located landside and airside in Terminal 2.
There are many food and beverages concessions, but I have only listed the ones that are open 24-hour below:
»MAC Forum: McDonald's
»Munich Airport Centre: Leysieffer
- Games - The Merkur Spielothek offers games and gambling. Location: Terminal 1, Level 3, and Terminal 2, level 3
- Information Desk - The main Information Desk is located in the Munich Airport Center (Level 03). Hours: open 24 hours. There are another 6 Information Desks located in Terminals 1 and 2 with reduced hours.
- iPilot Flight Simulator - The Boeing 737NG flight simulator gives a realistic impression of the world of flying. Location: Terminal 2, Level 03
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Location: Munich Airport Center and Terminal 2. Hours: open 24 hours. Rates: €2,30 (up to 5kg) • €3,30 (up to 20kg) • €4,80 (up to 30kg) • €7,50 (up to 40kg) per item for a 3-hour period. Daily rates are €3,80 (up to 5kg) • €4,80 (up to 20kg) • €8,00 (up to 30kg) • €10,00 (up to 40kg) per item.
- Massage Chairs - Locations: Landside – Level 4, Modules A,B and C. Airside, Level 4, Modules A and C. Fees: €2,00 for 10 minutes.
- Medical Clinic - The MediCare Munich Airport Center can be found in Terminal 1, Module E, Level 03. Hours: unknown.
- Mobile Charging - Power outlets are located throughout the terminals.
- Pharmacy - Metropolitan Pharmacy has 3 locations: Terminal 2, Airside, Level 4 • Terminal 2, Airside, Level 5 • MAC, Landside, Level 3
- Rest & Relaxation Zone - If you are looking to rest or catch up on some work, there are three relaxation zones. There is a work zone with desks, chairs and power outlets. Locations: Terminal 2, Level H, Non-Schengen departures • Terminal 2, Level G, Schengen Departures, near Gate G16 • Terminal 2, Level G, Schengen Departures, near Gates G43/44. There are 34 reclining seats for rest and 20 business stations with power connections.
- Showers - Location: Central Area, Level 03, next to Service Center (men's showers) • Central Area, Level 03, next to parking office (women's showers) • Terminal 2, Landside. Towels and shower gel is available in the vending machines located in the Central Area. Rate: 15 euros.
- Spa - Hilton Fit & Fly Spa - Location: Hilton Hotel, beside Terminal 2, Level 03. Hours: 7am - 10pm (Mon - Fri) and 8am - 10pm (Sat & Sun).
- Visitor Terrace - The Terrace provides a view of the eastern apron and both runways. Telescopes are available. Location: Terminal 2, Level 07. Access the terrace via the Skywalk, a glass tunnel that is accessible on Level 05. Rate: 2€ Hours: 8am - 10pm
- Visitor's Park
- Historic Aircraft: You can view three historic aircraft - Super Constellation, Douglas DC-3 and Ju 52. Rate: 1€
- Information Centre: features multimedia islands and information kiosks designed for children, providing an overview of flight operations at the airport.
- Cinema: There is a 60-seat cinema showin aviatian-themed movies. Rate: Free.
- Minigolf: There is a 18-hole mini-golf course. Hours: 930 am - 5pm (Daily). Rate: 3.50 € for adults and 2 € for children
- Visitor's Hill: Climb the 172 steps to a viewing platform on top of the visitors hill, 28 meters above the airport. View Terminal 1, the apron and the ongoing flight operations on both runways! Hours: 930am-5pm. Rate: 1€
More things to do at Munich Airport:
If you have more than 4 hours, you can do the following visit the following:
- Freisling, a Bavarian town, and the Weihenstephan Brewery.
- Oberschleissheim, which is the home of three castles and a park. The Flugwerft Schleissheim is within walking distance.
- Therme Erding, the largest Hot Water Complex in Europe, offers saunas and 16 water slides
With more than 6 hours, you will have time to Shop, Dine or join a city tour of Munich.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
The airport is served by a vast number of bus routes. The bus stop is located in front of the central area between Terminals 1 and 2.
The following car rental agencies operate onsite in areas B and C in the central area between the two terminals: Avis, Buchbinder/Global Drive, Budget, Enterprise, Europcar, Hertz, Sixt and Thrifty.
Many local hotels provide airport shuttle service as a courtesy to their guests. Ask your hotel for shuttle service availability and details. The following hotels offer airport shuttle service: Airport Hotel Regent • Airport Regentpark Hotel • Arcadia Hotel Munchen Airport • Dorint Hotel Airport Munchen/Freising • Gasthof Lerner • Hilton Munich Airport • Holiday Inn Express Munich Airport • Hotel Garni Haus zum Gutenberg • Hotel Gasthof Alte Post • Hotel Kandler • Mercure Airport Munchen • Movenpick Hotel Munchen Airport • Munchen Airport Marriott Hotel • NH Muenchen Airport • Sheraton Munchen Airport Hotel.
Limousine and Transfer Service
Several private companies offer limousine or airport transfer services. Transfer services are a shared ride service, traveling to either one destination or several destinations as required by the passengers on board. Limousines provide a more luxurious and private mode of transportation. For more information, contact your service provider of choice.
Several types of taxis are readily available at the airport to accommodate passengers’ needs and party size, from sedans to eight passenger minibuses, and passengers can opt for smoking or non-smoking vehicles. Drivers must take passengers to their requested destinations if the destination is located within the mandatory coverage area. Fares are charged according to the trip, not the number of passengers. Taxis can be found at:
Terminal 1 > Arrival and Departure Level E04 in front of Modules A-E
Terminal 2 > Access ramp for buses and taxis to the north of Arrival Level E03 and Departure Level E04
Central Area > Level E03 to the north of the Central Area
Two S-Bahn train lines operate between the airport and the city center, running in 10 minute intervals. The S1 runs between the airport and Ostbahnhof, stopping along the way at Munich Hauptbahnhof (the main train station) and Marienplatz, where passengers can transfer to main and regional train lines. The S8 runs between the airport and Herrsching, with stops at Munich Hauptbahnhof, Ostbahnhof and Pasing, where passengers can also transfer to main and regional train lines.
Last Updated: 14 November 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.