Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Munich Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
When we got to terminal 2 there were cots!! We were so surprised and happy that we didn’t have to continue sleeping on benches. -pattella2001
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Munich Airport.
What to Expect
Munich Airport consists of two terminals (T1 and T2). T1 houses gates A – E, and is home to all non-Star Alliance airlines. T2 houses gates G, H, and L and is the base for Star Alliance airlines, including Lufthansa. The terminals are separated by the Munich Airport Centre – the landside hub for shopping, dining and entertainment.
Munich Airport goes above and beyond when it comes to traveller comfort and convenience. The airport offers a number of unique amenities – including an airport brewery, airport tours, a casino, mini-golf, showers, and a visitors terrace. They also offer the basics, including two 24-hour restaurants in the Munich Airport Centre, and unlimited free WiFi. For those looking for a little added comfort, there are first class lounges that economy class passengers can pay to access. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and access information.
Where to Sleep
Munich Airport has a number of good places for weary travellers (with valid tickets) to rest or sleep and if you are flying out of Terminal 2 you’re in luck. In addition to armrest-free seating, Terminal 2 has several designated rest zones, complete with reclining seats and footrests. If you prefer some privacy and don’t mind paying, there are also a few nap cabs that you can pay to use by the hour. Explore our guide to sleeping in Munich Airport or read some traveller reviews for more tips. There are also a number of nearby hotels including one situated between the two terminals. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Munich airport either by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Passes Airport Lounge World– Location: Terminal 1, airside, Departures C, Level 3 (Non-Schengen Area). Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
Passes Lufthansa Business Lounge (Schengen) – Location: Terminal 2 Satellite, Airside, After Passport Control, Level 4, opposite Gate K11. Schengen flights only. Lounge Access: Prepaid lounge passes. [ more lounge info ]
Passes Lufthansa Business Lounge (Non-Schengen) – Location: Terminal 2 Satellite, Airside, After Passport Control, Level 4, opposite Gate L11. Non-Schengen flights only. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes. [ more lounge info ]
If you are a First or Business Class traveller you may have access to the lounges listed below. For more information, check the airline’s web site.
Air France Lounge (Location: Terminal 1, Module D, Level 5) • British Airways Gallery Lounge (Location: Terminal 1, Module B, Level 5) • Emirates Lounge (Location: Terminal 1, Module C, Level 5).
If sleeping in Munich Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
Inside Airport Nap Cabs – Self-service sleep pods with full bed, small desk, A/C, privacy blinds, internet access, and more. Three locations: Terminal 2, Level 4, Gate 6 • Terminal 2, Level 5, Gate H32 • Terminal 2, Level 5, Gate L04. Nap cabs can be booked and purchased on-site (credit card only). Rates are by the hour: 15€ per hour from 6:00AM – 10:00PM and 10€ from 10:00PM – 6:00AM, 30€ minimum (maximum of 12 hours stay). No advanced reservation.
At Airport Hilton Munich Airport – Located at the airport, between Terminals 1 and 2, it’s just a short walk from baggage claim to the hotel. » Check Rates
Near Airport Novotel Munich Airport – (5 minutes from the airport) The hotel does not have a shuttle, but guests can take Bus 635 from the airport, which runs every 20 minutes and stops at the hotel (bus fare is 1,40€ per person, each way). » Check Rates
Near Airport NH München Airport – (5 minutes from the airport) Airport shuttle bus is available for 5€ per person, each way. Departs every 30 minutes from 4:30AM to 11:00PM. The shuttle is shared with two other hotels and stops at Munich Airport Center and Terminal 2. » Check Rates
Near Airport Mövenpick Hotel München Airport – (6 minutes from the airport) The shuttle runs every half an hour from 5.00 am to 11.00 am and from 3.30 pm to 11.30 pm. The shuttle bus stops at Terminal 2 – Terminal 1B – MAC – Terminal 1D before moving back to the hotel. (bus fare is 9€ per person, each way). » Check Rates
Near Airport MOXY Munich Airport – (4 minutes from the airport) Airport shuttle bus is available for 5€ per person, each way. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near the Munich Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at the Munich Airport. Connect to the “Telekom” network. After registering with your name and email address, you will receive a confirmation email. Keep this email as it contains a link for you to change or cancel your account.
If you don’t have a mobile device, coin-operated internet kiosks with laser printing capabilities are available throughout the airport. Rates are €0,50 per 6 minutes of usage at kiosks located airside. Kiosks located landside are available for use, free of charge.
- Post Office – Postal services, money orders and more are available at Deutsche Post. Location: MAC Forum, landside, Level 3. Hours: 7:30AM – 9:00PM (Mon-Fri) 10:00AM – 5:00PM (Sat,Sun).
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – Diaper changing facilities are available in the following locations: T1, Level 3, next to the Service Center • T2, airside, the disabled washrooms at Gates G and H (Levels 3-5) / Gates K and L (Levels 4-5). Strollers are available for use in the secure area of Terminal 1, free of charge. Pick one up after you clear security and use it all the way to the boarding gate!
- Children’s Area – There is a lot for kids to do at Munich Airport:
- Kinderland by Lufthansa has aviation-themed climbing and sliding facilities, a ball pit, toys, gaming area, an arts and crafts corner, children’s cinema and more! Kinderland is manned by trained childcare specialists, who watch the children while adults enjoy quiet time in the adjacent Parents Lounge. Located at the Kinderland entrance is a colorful and child-safe new play zone for children ages 3 years and under, with soft toys, furnishings, play equipment, a changing area, and high chairs. Parents must supervise their little ones in this play area. Fee: Entrance to Kinderland and the toddler play zone is free for Lufthansa Jetfriends members and the children of first class and business passengers with a valid ticket for the current date. For all other passengers, the rate is €2,00 per child for the 1st hour, with a slightly discounted rate per additional hour. Location: MAC Forum South, landside, Level 4, between Terminals 1 and 2. (Transfer passengers may require a visa to enter). Hours: 10:00AM – 6:00PM (Tues – Sun).
- Seven play corners, open to all children, can be found in the following locations: Central Area: landside, Level 3, near Leysieffer restaurant. Terminal 1: landside, Departures/Arrivals B&C (Level 3) • C&D (Level 4). Terminal 2: landside, Arrivals, Level 3 • airside, Departure, Level 5, Gate H and Gate L • airside, Departure, Level 4, Gate K.
- Gym – Enjoy whirlpool, sauna, 17m swimming pool, steam bath and fitness center access at Hilton Fit & Fly Spa – Location: Hilton Munich Airport, beside Terminal 2, Level 03. Hours: 7:00AM – 10:00PM (Mon – Fri) and 8:00AM – 10:00PM (Sat & Sun). Try a 20-minute EMS workout at Bodystreet Studio. Location: MAC Forum South, landside, Level 4. Hours: 10:00AM – 8:00PM (Mon-Fri) 10:00AM – 2:00PM (Sat).
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours: Amo (Terminal 2, Airside, Level 5, near Departure Gate L) • Backstube Wünsche (MAC Forum, Landside, Level 3) • Bubbles Seafood & Wine Bar (Terminal 2, Airside, Level 5, near Departure Gate L) • Cloud 7 Cafe (Terminal 2, Landside, Visitors Terrace) • Leysieffer Restaurant & Cafe (MAC Forum, Landside, Level 3) • McDonald’s (MAC Forum, Landside, Level 3). Beverage and snack vending machines are located Landside and Airside in Terminal 2. Edeka (Supermarket) has 2 locations, see the Grocery Store section below.
- Grocery Store – If you need to pick up groceries on the way home to your destination in Munich, stop at Edeka. A variety of produce, deli meats and cheeses, baked goods, and everyday household and personal items are available. Two locations: MAC Forum, landside, Level 3 (Hours: 5:30AM – 12:00AM) • T2, landside, Arrivals, Level 3 (Hours: 5:30AM – 10:00PM).
- Information Desk – Locations: Munich Airport Center (MAC), Level 3 • T1, Level 4, Departure Areas A/B/C/D • T2, Departures area, Level 4 • T2, Arrivals area, Level 3. Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Service Centers – Fax/copy service, laundry service, bus ticket sales and a host of other useful services are available at the Service Center. Two locations: MAC, Level 3 (Hours: Open 24 hours) • T2, landside, Arrivals Level 3 (Hours: 5:00AM – 12:00AM).
- Travel Agencies – If you are arriving in Munich and need local arrangements or help planning a really last minute trip abroad, there are a number of travel agencies with offices at the airport that can probably be of assistance. 5 vor Flug, alltours Reisecenter, Check Point Reiseburo, DER Touristik Airport Services, FTI Ferienwelt, Holiday4me, L’Tur Tourismus, Thomas Cook/Air Marin, sonnenklar.tv, TUI Deutschland, TUI TRAVELstar and Travel FM Reisen.
- Baggage Trolleys – Need a hand with your luggage? Baggage trolleys are available throughout the airport. Rates: Free of charge for passengers arriving into Munich Airport. There is a fee of €1.00 for departure passengers.
- Cloakroom – Heading somewhere warm? Visit the Service Center and deposit your winter items (up to 7 items per person) for €3,50 for the first day and €1,00 each additional day. Locations: T1, landside, Munich Airport Center, Level 3, Service Center (Hours: Open 24 hours) • T2, landside, Level 3, Service Center (Hours: 5:00AM – 12:00AM).
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Left luggage storage is available at the following rates: €2,50 – €7,50 per bag / item, for up to 3 hours • €4,00 – €10,00 per bag / item, for up to 24 hours • €3,00 – €8,00 per bag / item, for every 24-hour period after the first one. Rates depend on size / weight of bag / item. Surfboards, golf bags, and bicycles can be stored for a higher rate. Strollers and child car seat can be stored for economical 24-hour rates of €3,50 or less per item, per 24 hour period. Locations: T1, landside, MAC, Level 3, Service Center (Hours: Open 24 hours) • T2, landside, Level 3, Service Center (Hours: 5:00AM – 12:00AM).
- Medical Services – A wide range of preventative and emergency medical services is available at MediCare Munich Airport Medical Center. Location: T1, Module E, Level 3. Hours: unknown. If you need to see a specialist, head to one of the specialized medical clinics in the Municipal Airport Centre. Travellers and visitors to the airport can be treated by a specialist from one of the following fields: Gynecology / gynecological surgery, radiology, ophthalmology / ophthalmic surgery, urology, orthopedic medicine, internal medicine, ear/nose/throat, dentistry, and physiotherapy. Location: MAC, landside, Level 6. Hours: Vary per clinic.
- Pharmacy – Müller Drugstore. Location: MAC Forum, landside, Level 3. Hours: 7:00AM – 10:00PM • Prescription medications, natural medicines, blood testing, vaccination advice and more are available at Metropolitan Pharmacy. Location: T2, airside, Level 4 Departures, Gate G. Hours: 6:30AM – 9:00PM. Health and beauty aids can also be purchased from the Metropolitan Pharmacies located airside at Gate H (Level 5) and landside at MAC Forum (Level 3).
- Mobile Charging – Power outlets are located throughout the terminals.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available 24 hours a day. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Landside and Airside, in all Terminals.
- Currency Exchange – Sparkasse Flughafen offers currency exchange at two locations: MAC, landside, Level 3 • T2, landside, Departures, Level 4, Gate G. Reisebank has multiple locations throughout the airport (MAC South, MAC North, T2 Arrivals and T2 Departure Gates). Hours vary for all banks and locations.
- Prayer Areas
- Christian – Christophorus-Chapel, a non-denominational Christian chapel, offers a quiet place for prayer and contemplation. Midday prayers and holiday services are held here regularly. Location: T1, landside, MAC, Level 4. Hours: Open 24 hours. * The chapel will be closed from April 10, 2017 – May 20, 2017 for renovations.
- Interfaith – An interfaith prayer and meditation room is available in T2, Level 5. Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Muslim – The Muslim Prayer Room is spiritually decorated in fine carpets from Dubai and artwork from a Jordanian artist. Gender-separated ablution facilities are available, and halal food outlets are located nearby. Location: T1, Module C, Level 5. Hours: Open 24 hours.
Rest & Relaxation
- Cots – In the event of bad weather or massive flight cancellations, this airport has a supply of 500 cots for stranded travellers. If you are stranded during a weather delay, contact an airport employee to find out where the cots are located. Unfortunately, the cots are not available for travellers who simply decide to spend the night in the airport. Due to the amount of wacky emails we receive about this, we’ll also let you know that cots cannot be “reserved” and we don’t know where they are kept. Please speak to a gate agent or an airport employee.
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Massage Chairs – Relax and let the stress melt away in a ReMass shiatsu massage chair. Fee: €2 for 10 minutes. Location: T1, landside, Level 4, Modules A/B/C • T1, airside, Level 4, Modules A and C.
- Rest & Relaxation Zone – If you are looking to rest or catch up on some work, there are three relaxation zones. There is a work zone with desks, chairs and power outlets. Locations: Terminal 2, Level H, Non-Schengen departures • Terminal 2, Level G, Schengen Departures, near Gate G16 • Terminal 2, Level G, Schengen Departures, near Gates G43/44. There are 34 reclining seats for rest and 20 business stations with power connections.
- Duty Free & Shopping – Duty-free shopping is available in Terminal 1 Departures (Gates A-D), Terminal 2 Departures (Gates G/H/K/L). A wide variety of retails shops is also available.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Barber Shop – Brants Barber Shop. Location: T2, airside, Departures Level 4, Gate G. Hours: 6:30AM – 9:00PM.
- Massage – Chi-Mas Institute offers mobile acupressure massage. Location: T2, airside, Departures, Gate G. Hours: 7:30AM – 9:00PM.
- Showers – Freshen up before or after a long flight with a shower in one of the following locations:
- Munich Airport Center (MAC) – Go to the service center for access. Rate: €15 plus €20 deposit, includes shower gel and a towel. Location: Landside, Level 3.
- Terminal 2 (Gates G,H) – Go to the service center for access. Rate €15, includes shower and a towel. Location: Terminal 2, Airside, Gates G,H.
- Spa & Salon Services – M-Crew Friseure offers haircuts and styling. Location: T1, landside, Module D, Level 4. Hours: 7:30AM – 9:00PM. Hair color, cut, and styling is available at Bel Hair unisex hair salon. Location: T2, landside, Arrivals, Level 3. Hours: 7:30AM – 9:00PM. Luxurious spa and beauty treatments are available at Cosmetic Institute. Location: T2, airside, Departure, Level 5, Gate H. Hours: 7:30AM – 10:00PM.
- Smoking – Smoking is permitted in designated smoking lounges throughout the airport- Locations: Airside in Terminal 1 (Modules A, B, C, D and F) and Terminal 2 (Gates G, H, K, L).
Things to do & see at the airport
- Airbräu – Visit the world’s first airport brewery located here at the Munich Airport. Seven different kind of beers are brewed. Location: MAC Forum, landside, Level 3. Hours: 8:00AM – 1:00AM. The smaller Airbräu Next To Heaven is located in T2, airside, Level 5 (non-Schengen), near Gate H. Hours: 7:00AM – 9:00PM.
- Airport Tours – Find out what happens at the airport during a behind-the-scenes airport tour. After leaving the public area and passing through security screening, the 12 kilometer route covers the Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 aprons, passing both runways and the two fire stations. You will see the freight buildings and maintenance hangars, the engine testing facility and the storage tanks while picking up all kinds of information on every aspect of ramp operations. Tours are conducted in German. To book contact Visitor Services at besucherservice[at]munich-airport.de. Days: daily for individual travellers at 1:30PM (Mon – Fri) and 11:30AM, 1:30PM, 3:30PM (Sat & Sun).
- Casino – Feeling lucky? Video slots and entertainment are available at casinos located in both terminals. Unfortunately, both casinos are located before security.
» Casino Royal – Location: T1, landside, Module C, Level 3. Hours: 6:00AM – 1:00AM.
» Merkur Spielothek – Location: T2, landside, Arrivals, Level 3. Hours: 6:00AM – 1:00AM (Mon-Sat) 11:00AM – 1:00AM (Sun/Holidays).
- Visitor Terrace – Enjoy views of the eastern apron, both runways, and the new satellite facility. Telescopes are available for a closer look. You can catch a behind-the-scenes look at the satellite exhibition area from the northern end of the terrace. Healthy snacks and light meals are available at the new Cloud 7 restaurant. Visitor Terrace entrance fee: Free! Location: Terminal 2, Level 7. Access the terrace via Skywalk, a glass tunnel that is accessible from Level 05 (landside). Hours: 8:00AM – 10:00PM daily. Cloud 7 restaurant is open 10:00AM – 8:00PM.
- Visitor’s Park
- Historic Aircraft – You can view three historic aircraft – Super Constellation, Douglas DC-3 and Junker Ju 52. Rate: 1€ Hours: 9:30AM – 5:00PM.
- Information Centre – Child-friendly multimedia islands and information kiosks provide an overview of flight operations at the airport. A gift shop is also available. Hours: 9:30AM – 6:00PM (closed at 5:00PM during winter months).
- Minigolf – There is a 18-hole mini-golf course. Rate: 3.50 € for adults and 2 € for children. Hours: 9:30AM – 5:00PM.
- Playground – The large playground is divided into five sections, based on five continents: Africa, Asia, Europe, North and South America. Within each section are culturally-themed jungle gyms, swings and sandboxes built with materials from the continent that it represents. A restaurant is located adjacent to the playground area. The highlight of the playground is the Kids’ Tower, a replica of the airport’s control tower, complete with a slide from the top! Hours: unknown
- Visitor’s Hill – Climb the 172 steps to a viewing platform on top of the visitors hill, where you can enjoy panoramic views of the activity in and around Terminal 1, the apron and both runways. Please note, the path to the platform is not wheelchair or stroller-accessible. Entry fee is 1,00 € at the coin-operated turnstile located at the base of the steps. Hours: Open 24 hours.
Things to do & see outside of the airport
If you have more than 4 hours, you can do the following visit the following:
- Freisling, a Bavarian town, and the Weihenstephan Brewery.
- Oberschleissheim, which is the home of three castles and a park. The Flugwerft Schleissheim is within walking distance.
- Therme Erding, the largest Hot Water Complex in Europe, offers saunas and 16 water slides
- With more than 6 hours, you will have time to Shop, Dine or join a city tour of Munich.
The airport is open 24 hours. A valid flight ticket is required for travellers who want to spend the night in the airport.
As of March 2018, Munich airport is served by the following airlines: Adria Airways • Aegean Airlines • Aer Lingus • Aeroflot • Air Arabia • Air Cairo • Air Canada • Air China • Air Dolomiti • Air Europa • Air France • Air Malta • Air Baltic • Alitalia • American Airlines • ANA • Arkia • Austrian Airlines • Azur Air • Blue Air • BMI Regional • British Airways • Bulgarian Air Charter • Condor • Corendon • Croatia Airlines • Delta • easyJet • EgyptAir • El Al Israel Airlines • Ellinair • Emirates • Etihad Airways • Eurowings • Finnair • Flybe • FlyEgypt • Freebird Airlines • Germania • Iberia • Icelandair • Israir • KLM • Kuwait Airways • LOT • Lufthansa • Luxair • Mahan Air • Montenegro Airlines • Norwegian • Nouvelair • Oman Air • Onur Air • Orange2fly • Pegasus Airlines • Qatar Airways • Royal Air Maroc • Royal Jordanian • Ryanair • S7 Airlines • SAS • Saudia • Singapore Airlines • SkyWork Airlines • Small Planet Airlines • SmartLynx • South African Airways • SundAir • SunExpress • Swiss • Tailwind Airlines • TAP Portugal • Tarom • Thai Airways • Transavia Airlines • Travel Service • TUIFly • Tunisair • Turkish Airlines • Ukraine International Airlines • United Airlines • Ural Airlines • Utair • VLM Airlines • Vueling.
The airport is well connected to the bus system. Whether you need a shuttle bus to the city center, a connection to the Munich Trade Fair or you need a long distance coach, there is probably a bus for you. For more information, visit the Munich Airport website.
The following car rental agencies operate onsite in areas B and C in the central area between the two terminals: Avis, Buchbinder/Global Drive, Budget, Enterprise, Europcar, Hertz, Sixt and Thrifty.
Many local hotels provide airport shuttle service as a courtesy to their guests. Ask your hotel for shuttle service availability and details.
The following hotels offer airport shuttle service: Airport Hotel Regent • Airport Regentpark Hotel • Arcadia Hotel Munchen Airport • Dorint Hotel Airport Munchen/Freising • Gasthof Lerner • Hilton Munich Airport • Holiday Inn Express Munich Airport • Hotel Garni Haus zum Gutenberg • Hotel Gasthof Alte Post • Hotel Kandler • Mercure Airport Munchen • Movenpick Hotel Munchen Airport • Munchen Airport Marriott Hotel • NH Muenchen Airport
Several private companies offer limousine or airport transfer services. Transfer services are a shared ride service, traveling to either one destination or several destinations as required by the passengers on board. Limousines provide a more luxurious and private mode of transportation. For more information, contact your service provider of choice.
Several types of taxis are readily available at the airport to accommodate passengers’ needs and party size, from sedans to eight passenger minibuses, and passengers can opt for smoking or non-smoking vehicles.
Two S-Bahn train lines operate between the airport and the city center, running in 10 minute intervals. The S1 runs between the airport and Ostbahnhof, stopping along the way at Munich Hauptbahnhof (the main train station) and Marienplatz, where passengers can transfer to main and regional train lines. The S8 runs between the airport and Herrsching, with stops at Munich Hauptbahnhof, Ostbahnhof and Pasing, where passengers can also transfer to main and regional train lines.
Last updated: 2018-10-23
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.