Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I asked security if its ok to sleep here and they welcomed me warmly. They said that I should just find some isolated corner and I could sleep on the floor in my sleeping bag. I slept next to a huge window and what can I say... Better than the hostels. :D -kekkosen
Satellite 4 at Terminal 2E (Airside). photo credit: Aéroports de Paris / Mikaël LaFontan & Olivier Seignet.
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport.
What to Expect
- This is a large, spread out airport with a very confusing layout that can be difficult to navigate. The facilities and amenities vary from terminal to terminal.
Many travellers don’t recommend sleeping here because it is confusing with bad signage, expensive, and has a lot of unexplained processes. Still, the airport seems to be okay with travellers looking to spend the night.
- The airport has three terminals: T1 is the oldest, T2 is the largest (divided into eight, spread-out satellite terminals, and T3 is used for charters and low-cost carriers.
- Travellers generally feel safe here, though some reported seeing homeless people in some of the Landside areas of the terminals. As a result, be prepared for security. Speaking from personal experience, the security guards were concerned for my safety and "sympathized" with my situation. They recommended that I sleep somewhere more out in the open than the location I had chosen.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Stick to Terminal 2E and 2A for overnight stays if possible; many travellers report that Terminal 2E is the most comfortable with the most seating options.
- In Terminal 2E, head to Gate L - there are orange couches you can sleep on, just upstairs from the connecting train.
- The airport can be cold and bright, so wear layers and have your blanket and eye mask handy.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are sleep cabins in Terminal 2E and several hotels on airport property. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class travelers can buy a pass and relax in several airport lounges; showers are available in some. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Paris Charles de Gaule Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Paris CDG airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Icare Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, International Departures. Here you'll find large armchairs, deep sofas and soft lighting. WiFi, drinks and buffet meals are also included. Hours: 6:30AM - 11:30PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (30 EUR) • Book Online (£30.00) • Priority Pass.
- Star Alliance Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Level 11. Schengen Flights only. Showers are available. Hours: 5:30AM - 11:30PM. Lounge Access: Book Online (£30.00) • Priority Pass.
- American Airlines Admiral's Club - Location: Terminal 2A. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 50.00) • Admiral's Club Membership.
- Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge - Location: Terminal 2A, Airside, near Gates A37-39. Hours: 7:30AM - 1:30PM. Lounge Access: Book Online (CA$ 30-55) • Maple Leaf Club Membership.
- Sheltair Lounge - Location: Terminal 2D, Airside, Level 1. Hours: 5:30AM - 9:00PM. Lounge Access: Book Online (£26.00) • Priority Pass.
Unlimited free WiFi is available at Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport. They also have two interruption-free premium WiFi services:
- Faster: 4x faster than the standard free WiFi. The rate is € 2.90 for 20 min. or € 5.90 for 60 minutes.
- Stronger: 10x faster than the standard free WiFi. The rate is € 9.90 for 24 hours, and you can connect up to five WiFi devices.
If sleeping inside CDG Airport on does not appeal to you, there are hotels at the airport:
- YOTELAIR Paris Charles de Gaulle - Opening November 2016. Location: airside in Terminal 2E satellite L. This location will be available to transit passengers flying out of Terminals 2E,2F.
- Ibis Paris Airport - (2 min walk from Terminal 3) A budget hotel located opposite Terminal 3 at the RER Roissy 1 exit. From Terminals 1 & 2, take the CDGVAL free automatic metro to the Roissypôle stop.
- CitizenM - (5 min walking distance to Terminal 3).
- Hilton Charles de Gaulle Airport - (5 min walk from Terminal 3) Day rooms are available between the hours 9:00AM - 6:00PM. From T1: Take the free CDGVAL high-speed train which runs every 4 minutes, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (free of charge) and stop at T3/Roissypole. Free shuttle from Terminal 2 (Shuttle Hours: every 20 minutes 6:00AM - 11:30PM and on request during unscheduled hours).
- Sheraton Paris Airport Hotel Sheraton Paris Airport Hotel & Conference Center - (2 min walk from Terminal 2) Located in Terminal 2 across from the RER Station. The hotel is just steps away from the CDG VAL, a free automatic shuttle service which links the three airport terminals. Day rooms are available 8:00AM to 6:00PM.
- Novotel CDG Terminal - (2 min walk from Terminal 3) From terminals 1 and 2: Take the CDGVAL free automatic metro, Roissypôle stop, hotel entrance in the RER train station. From terminal 3: Follow signs for Gare RER (2 min walk), hotel entrance in the RER train station. Day rooms are available from 8:00AM - 8:00PM.
Due to the layout of the numerous airport terminals and satellites, transit hotels in the airside areas of the airport are not available. Your only option will be one of the airport hotels.
- Art in the Airport - Works of Parisian art and culture are on display in Terminal 1 and Terminal 2E (Halls L & M), along with rotating exhibits featuring art from the Louvre, Palace of Versailles and more!
- ATM’S / Cash Machines - HSBC ATMs are available throughout the airport.
- Baby Care - Sanitary changing tables and children’s toilets are available in the colorful baby care areas, located landside and airside in all the airport restrooms on the Departures and Arrivals levels. Strollers are available for use, free of charge, airside in Terminal 2E. Pick one up at one of two Pushchair Stations, located just after the security checkpoint, and leave it at the boarding gate when you depart for your flight.
- Children's Play Areas - Colorful play areas featuring Gulli network TV programs and games are available in these locations: Terminal 2C, airside, Departures lounge • Terminal 2F, airside, Departures lounge • Terminal 2D, airside, Departures lounge. For children ages 4 to 10 years, Disney-themed play areas are available, featuring interactive toys, games and a TV corner with Disney shows and soft puffy seating. Locations: A Cars-themed play area is in T2E, and two Cars/Princesses play areas are available in the Satellite 4 (S4) terminal.
- Cots - In the event of bad weather or massive flight cancellations, this airport has a supply of cots for stranded travellers. If you are stranded during a weather delay, contact an airport employee to find out when the cots are located. Unfortunately, the cots are not available for travellers who simply decide to spend the night in the airport. Due to the amount of wacky email we receive about this, we'll also let you know that cots cannot be "reserved" and we don't know where they are kept. Please speak to a gate agent or an airport employee.
- Currency Exchange - Foreign currency exchange, money transfers, VAT refund and more are available at Travelex. There are 17 locations throughout T1 and T2 A/C/D/E/F. Hours: Vary per location, with some open as early as 6:00AM and closed as late as 10:30PM.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Buy Paris Duty Free shops are located in the boarding areas or departure lounges of T1, T2 (A/D/E (Hall K)/F/G) and T3. A wide variety of retails shops are also available throughout the airport.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate on varying schedules, with some open as early as 4:00AM and closed as late as 11:30PM. At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour dining options. Some of the dining options include: Boco • Brioche Doree • Costa Coffee • Eric Kayser • Espressamente illy • Exki • McDonald’s • Naked • Pret a Manger • Red d’Hippo • Starbucks • Zumo
- Games - Play vintage video games at the colorful ‘80’s-themed arcade gaming area! Six locations: Hall L at Gates L4, L24, and L32 • Hall K at Gates M29 and M45 • Hall 2G boarding area. Playstation gaming areas and multi-touch games carousel tables can be found airside in all terminals.
- Information Desk - Locations: T1 Gate 2 (Departures) and Gate 36 (Arrivals) • T2A (Gate 6) • T2C (Gate 6) • T2D (Gate 6) • T2E Gate 6 (Departures) and Gate 8 (Arrivals) • T2F (Gate 7) • T2G (Public Hall) • T3 Entrance Halls in Arrivals and Departures. Hours: Open daily according to flight schedules. Terminal 2E also has touch-screen display Information Terminals, designed to look like giant smartphones.
- Light Therapy - In 2012, the airport will be offering a free Light Therapy area. Location: unknown
- Luggage Storage / Lockers - Bagages du Monde offers short and long-term storage at the following rates: €7 per bag for up to 6 hours, €14 per bag for 6-12 hours, €17 per bag for 12-24 hours, €9 per bag per day after the first 24 hours, €7 per bag per day from the 5th day. Rates are higher for oversized bags or items. Location: T2, landside, TGV-RER Station, Level 4 opposite Sheraton Hotel. Hours: 6:00AM - 9:30PM.
The Soundcorner was added in 2011. (Terminal 2E, Airside). Photo by Aéroports de Paris
- Luggage Wrapping - Safe Bag luggage wrapping service is available for €10 per bag. Locations: T1, airside, Departures level, Gates 2 and 18 • T1, Level “Boutiquair"e • T3, landside, Departures Hall • T2A, landside, Gate 7 • T2C, landside, Gates 11 and 14 • T2D, landside, Gate 8 • T2E, landside, Gates 2, 5 and 14 • T2F, landside, Gate 6.
- Massage Chairs - Location: Terminal 1, satellites 1 to 6; Terminal 3, both departure areas; Terminal 2, zones 2A, 2C, 2D and 2E (near desks E68 et E55). Fee: Starting from €2,00.
- Medical Services - Urgent and emergency medical treatment are available at CDG Airport. Location: T2F, landside, Arrivals level, Entrance 017. Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Mobile Charging - If you want a hands-free method of charging, look for one of the ChargeBox columns, which contains a group of small lockers equipped with charging leads for most phones. Phones take about 30 - 90 minutes to fully charge. Just plug in your phone, lock it up and take the key with you while you shop or dine! Rate: Free to use! Chargebox locations: T1 (six stations) • Terminals 2E, 2F, 2G (18 stations) • T3 (two stations) • Terminals 2A, 2C, 2D (seven stations).
- Museum - information not available.
- Music Lounge - Soothe your pre-flight jitters with the sound of music! The Espace Musique lounge is a relaxing area with comfortably-furnished individual listening stations featuring free touchscreen access to the Universal Music Catalogue and a selection of Webradio stations. You can even play your own music via your smartphone or mp3 player! Rate: Free to enter. Location: Terminal 2E.
- Pharmacy - Locations: T1, landside, CDGVAL level (Hours: 6:00AM - 9:00PM) • T2, landside, AC connector corridor (Hours: 6:00AM - 10:00PM) • T2E, landside, Departures level (Hours: 6:00AM - 10:00PM).
- Religious Spaces
- Terminal 1 (Level CDGVAL, Halls 5 and 6): Hours: 6:30AM - 11:30PM.
- Chapel - Scheduled Catholic Mass, Protestant service, and Christian prayer time available.
- Muslim Prayer Area
- Terminal 2 ABCD (Level 0, Shopping and services area between the terminals): Hours: 4:00AM - 11:30PM.
- Chapel - Scheduled Catholic Mass, Protestant service, and Christian prayer time are available.
- Muslim Prayer Area
- Terminal 1 (Level CDGVAL, Halls 5 and 6): Hours: 6:30AM - 11:30PM.
- Terminal 2F (Arrival level, Gate 0.01): Hours: 4:00AM - 11:30PM.
- Chapel - Scheduled Catholic Mass, Protestant service, Christian prayer time, Eucharistic adoration, and Rosary prayer time available.
- Muslim Prayer Area
- Synagogue Terminal 2E (boarding area of Hall L, next to Gate L33): Multifaith prayer area
- Rest Zones - In Terminal 2E, you will find areas with comfortable lounge style seating. Exact locations are currently unknown.
- Showers - Showers are available in a few of the lounges. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
- Sony HD Viewing Room & Soundcorner - Watch the latest films and shows from the Sony catalog, free of charge, in the Sony Video Lounge. The lounge is furnished with individual viewing modules, featuring 3D HD TVs and comfortable seating with built-in speakers. Location: Terminal 2E, Halls L and M.
- Spa & Salon Services - Massages, facials, and various beauty treatments are available at Be Relax Spa in Terminal 2E, Hall M. Seated massage is available at the Be Relax kiosks, located in T2 A/C/G/F1/F2/E/G.
- Workstations - Equipped with an electric socket to plug in your portable computer, the business workstations are designed for you to make the most of your waiting time. Locations: Terminal 1, airside, in the boarding lounges • Terminal 2D, airside, near gate D55 • Terminal 2EF, landside and airside, in the boarding lounges • Terminal 2G, airside
The airport terminals hours of operation are as follows: Terminal 1 (Hours: 4:00AM - 12:00AM) • Terminal 2A (Hours: 3:30AM - 12:30AM) • Terminal 2B (Hours: unknown) • Terminal 2C (Hours: 4:00AM - 11:00PM) • Terminal 2D (Hours: 4:30AM - 11:30PM) • Terminal 2E and 2F (Hours: 4:00AM - 12:00AM) • Terminal 2G (Hours: 5:00AM - 11:30PM) and Terminal 3 (Hours: 4:30AM - 11:30PM. Overnight stays are discouraged and you may be asked to leave the building at closing time, but according to the airport’s website about spending the night in the airport, “if you have a travel agent's notification for a flight you may wait for your departure flight.”
Terminal Quick Tips
- terminal 2E is newer and better terminal (clean and no/fewer homeless people) - Go there!!!, reports of free Sony Playstations, semi reclining chairs and sleeping pods, Free WiFi in terminal 2F.
- homeless people are generally well mannered, but there are a few who have been problematic.
Download the Paris CDG Terminal Maps
RoissyBus connects CDG Airport with Paris Opéra Metro station in a 60 minute trip. Bus stops are located at Terminals 1, 2A/C, 2E/F, 2D and 3. Fares start at €11.
Cars Air France provides three different lines of service between the airport and key points in Paris:
Line 2 > Paris Étoile/Champs-Élysées/Porte Maillot Metro station
Line 3 > Paris-Orly Airport
Line 4 > Gare de Lyon/Gare Montparnasse railway station
Fares start at €17. Bus stops at Terminals 1, 2A/C, 2D and 2E/F.
easybus provides shuttle service between CDG (Terminal 2) and the Paris city centre (Le Palais Royal / Louvre station). The company provides 80 departures per day at a rate of €2 per person each way. The first bus departs the city at 5:45AM and the last bus departs the airport at 1:00AM. Travel time is approx. 45-60 minutes depending on traffic.
Filéo Roissy is a 24-hr on-demand shuttle service that runs six lines between the airport and 16 towns in the Val d'Oise, Seine-Saint-Denis and Seine-et-Marne departments. Rates from €1.14
Magical Shuttle provides direct service to Disneyland Paris and its hotels. Bus stops at Terminals 1, 2E/F, 2A/C, 2D, 2G and 3. Fares from € 20.
Noctilien Night Bus goes to Corbeil-Essonnes railway station (line 120), La Verrière railway station (line 121) and Gare de l’Est railway station (line 140). Bus stops at Terminals 1, 3 and TGV station below Terminal 2. Fares from €8
Bus 350 links the airport to Gare de l’Est railway station and Bus 351 goes to Paris Nation Metro station. Bus stops at 1, 2A/C, 2B/D and airport TGV and Roissypole stations. Fares from €6.
Bus 19 connects the airport’s Roissypôle RER B station to Torcy RER A station. Fares from €2.
The following car rental agencies have rental desks in Terminals 1, 2A, 2C, 2D, 2E and 2F: Advantage, Alamo, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, Europcar, Hertz, National, Sixt, Thrifty and TT Car Transit.
Firefly and Interrent car rental agency desks are located only in Terminal 1.
The following transportation transports passengers around the airport complex for free:
The N1 shuttle circulates between Terminals 2A/C/D/E/F, PW Car Park, SNCF Railway Station (north), Sheraton Hotel and Left Luggage in 7 - 15 minute intervals. The N2 shuttle travels between Terminals 2E/F/G in 5 minute intervals from 5:30AM - 11:00PM.
Five color-coded shuttles (red, green, yellow, blue and orange) transport passengers between terminals for connecting international and Schengen flights. For the route map, visit the Paris CDG website.
CDGVAL is a free automatic rail service that connects the airport terminals, RER and TGV rail stations and car parks in two different lines. Line 1 travels between Terminals 1, Terminal 2 (connect to TGV trains), Terminal 3 (connect to RER/B train) and car parks PR and PX. Line 2 travels between Terminals 2E and the satellite terminals (S3 and S4). Service stops between 1:00AM - 4:00AM, and is supplemented by shuttle bus service during those hours.
Official licensed taxis operate from the taxi ranks located outside of the baggage claim area exits of Terminals 1, 2A/C/D/E/F/G and 3. Only official licensed taxis are permitted to pick up passengers at the airport, and are easily identifiable by a light on the vehicle rooftop and inside meter. For safety reasons, use only the taxis at the taxi ranks and do not accept rides from people who approach you at the airport. Taxis charge according to the meter, with a 15% increase for trips during peak hours, Sundays and holidays. Two taxi services are available:
Paris Taxis cover Paris and these bordering departments: Hauts-de-Seine, Seine-Saint-Denis and Val-de-Marne
Suburban Taxis cover Paris and these bordering departments: Essonne, Val-d'Oise, Yvelines and Seine-et-Marne
CDGVAL is a free automatic rail service that connects the airport terminals, RER and TGV rail stations and car parks in two different lines. Line 1 travels between Terminals 1, Terminal 2 (connect to TGV/RER-B trains), Terminal 3 (connect to RER-B train) and car parks PR and PX. Line 2 travels between Terminals 2E and the satellite terminals (S3 and S4). Service stops between 1:00AM - 4:00AM, and is supplemented by shuttle bus service during those hours.
The RER B regional rapid transit line transports passengers between CDG Airport, downtown Paris and suburbs to the south. RER stations are located between Terminals 1 and 3 and south of Terminals 2C/D/E/F. Trains run every 10 - 15 minutes. For fares, schedules and routes, visit RER B website.
The airport is served by the north, west and south lines of France’s high-speed long distance train system, the TGV. Aéroport Charles de Gaulle 2 - TGV station is located between Terminals 2C/D/E/F. For fares, schedules and routes, visit the TGV website.
Last Updated: 14 October 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.