Rome Fiumicino Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Rome Fiumicino Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Slept here last week undisturbed in Terminal 3 , third floor, bring a mattress or similar and you have a good sleep on the ground. -Fremantlefred
In July 2016, a traveller with 14 hour layover was told to leave the airport. Security said "You are not allowed to stay inside the airport if your flight does not leave on the same day."
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at Rome Fiumicino Airport.
What to Expect
- This is an older, smaller airport that had renovations in the 2000s. There are four terminals: T1, T2, T3, and T5. The eating and shopping options vary depending which terminal you’re in.
- Airport staff are generally tolerant of overnight travellers trying to sleep.
- There are a couple Landside 24-hour eateries, and one Airside. See Food & Drinks in the airport guide below.
- Plan your layovers carefully here! In July 2016, a traveller with a 14 hour layover was told to leave the airport, since they were European citizens who could leave the airport without problems.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- There aren’t too many seating options and armrests are a problem, so the floor may be your only option. Most of the floor is tiled, so if you want to stretch out bring something for warmth or comfort.
- Based on travellers’ reports, the B and D gates seem most comfortable and H gates seem to be the least comfortable.
- Restaurants close at night, and some have benches and comfortable chairs near them you can grab overnight.
- The airport can be cold and bright, so bring layers and an eye mask
- For uninterrupted sleep, several hotels are located at or near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class travelers can buy a pass to relax in several airport lounges; showers are available in some. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Rome Fiumicino Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Rome Fiumicino airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- I Mosaici - Location: Terminal 3, Airside, 1st Floor, Gate D5 (Schengen Area). Showers are available. Hours: 8:30AM - 6:30PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
- Le Anfore Business Class Lounge - Location: Terminal 3, Airside, Satellite Area, opposite Gates C30 and C31 (Non-Schengen Flights). Showers are available. Hours: 6:15AM - 11:45PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
- Avia Lounge - Location: Terminal 3, Airside, 2nd Floor (escalator near Gates C and D). Hours: 5:30AM - 8:30AM (Daily). Lounge Access: Book Online (£25.00) • Priority Pass.
- Alitalia Lounges - There a 5 Alitalia lounges (three in Terminal 1 and two in Terminal 3). Rate: Free for Ulisse members. MilleMiglia members pay EUR 30.
Unlimited free WiFi is available at Rome Fiumicino Airport. Connect to the “Free Wi-Fi” network.
If sleeping in Rome Fiumicino Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Hilton Rome Airport - (5 min walk from the airport terminals) Connected to the upper level of Terminals 1, 2, and 3 by a covered, moving walkway. Hotel offers free shuttle to Rome city center every 2 hours from 8:00AM to 10:00PM. Day rooms are offered 9:00AM - 6:00PM.
- Hilton Garden Inn Rome Airport - (5 min from the airport) Free, unlimited 24-hr airport shuttle operates every 30 minutes between 5:00AM to 1:00AM. Shuttle stops at Departures (Terminals 1, 2, 3, and 5) and Arrivals (Terminals 1 and 3). Follow the “Airport Shuttle” sign at your nearest terminal. Between the hours of 5:00AM to 1:00AM, airport pick-up can be requested by using the courtesy phone at the shuttle stops.
- Sleep and Fly Rome Airport B&B - (5 min from the airport) Airport shuttle service available. Prices start at €10 daytime rate for two people w/luggage and €20 early morning/night time rate for two people w/luggage.
- Best Western - (6 minutes from the airport) - Airport shuttle available on request ($)
- BB Fly & Beach - (11 minutes from the airport) A budget hotel located in front of the beach. Free airport shuttle.
- Al Porticciolo Hotel - (11 minutes from the airport) Airport shuttle is available for €6 per person. Departure times: 4:00PM, 4:45PM, 5:30PM, 7:00PM, 7:45PM, 8:30PM, 9:15PM. Contact the hotel for unlisted times.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Fiumicino Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - ATM’s are available in all terminals.
- Baby Care Facilities - Cots and changing mats are available in the baby changing stations. Four locations: T1, Departures • D, G and H Boarding Areas. There are also baby corners in these two locations: T1 and T3 Arrivals area, near baggage reclaim belts 10 and 16.
- Chapel - A Catholic chapel is available in T3, by the ADR Information Desk. Hours: unknown.
- Children's Play Area - There are two play places in the airport. Here are their locations: T3, landside, Departures Area, in the McDonald’s • Chef Express, Boarding Area H.
- Currency Exchange - Yex Change has seven locations: Gate G13-G14 • Gate H • T3, Arrivals (three locations) • T1, Gate B01 • T3, Partenze.
- Fast Track Service - As a premium service, customers with Fast Track security passes will be given priority service to ensure that waiting is kept to a minimum. Cost: €5,00. Book on-line.
- First Aid Clinic - Locations: There are seven branches available throughout the airport.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours: Bagel Factory (Gate H3) • Ciao Ristorante (Gate G01 and T3, Departures, Mezzanine) • Rosso Intenso food and wine (Gate D02) • Vacanze Romane Italian Bar Restaurant (T3, Arrivals). Vending machines are also available.
- Information Desk - In Terminals 1 and 3 (Arrivals and Departures levels) and in Terminal 5, there are a total of nine information desks.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Location: T3, International Arrivals. Hours: 6:30AM - 11:30PM. Rate: €6 per item per 24 hour period, paid upon pick up.
- Luggage Trolleys - Yes, free to use.
- Luggage Wrapping - SecureBag luggage wrapping is available in the Departures area (landside) of all three terminals. Hours: 4:00AM - 12:00AM. In addition, Safe Bag luggage wrapping service is available in two locations: T1, Departures (Hours: 6:00AM - 9:00PM) • T3, Departures (Hours: 4:00AM - 12:00AM).
- Mobile Charging - Mobile charging stations are available at the following restaurants: Bagel Factory (H3 and T3, Arrivals) • Briciole dolci e salate (Gates B14-B23) • Caffè Rome & You (T1, Departures) • Délice Maison Bakery & Cafe (T1, Arrivals) • Mercedes-Benz Cafè (Gate B10-B12) • Mokà (T1, Arrivals and T3, Departures) • The Burger Federation (Gate C08-C16)
- Pharmacy - Pharmacy - Get your prescriptions filled at the airport pharmacy. Two locations: T1, landside, Check-In area • T3, Departures level (in the shopping area). Three additional pharmacies are located airside in T3 in boarding gate areas D and H, but they do not fill prescriptions.
- Post Office - Location: T1, Arrivals. Hours: 8:30AM - 3:30PM (Mon-Fri).
- Showers - Showers are available in the lounges. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
- Smoking - Smoking is permitted airside at designated smoking lounges in these locations: T1, airside, Departures (in the shops and restaurants area) • Gate B09 • Gate D05 • Gate G08 • Gate H02.
Eduardo J (29 Jul 2012): I just slept there the a couple of weeks ago, you have to stay in the T2 since all the other terminals close during the night, upstairs there are some benches where you can fit nicely if you're smaller than I am, I opted for my sleeping bag downstairs near the last entrance to the right, no one bothered me and nearby you can find the only power outlets in the airport.
The airport is open 24 hours.
The following bus lines serve Fiumicino Airport:
Cotral buses depart from Terminal 2 Arrivals area Regional Bus Station and travel to Piazza dei Cinquecento, Roma Tiburtina Station, Cornelia Station (Line A underground) and Eur-Magliana Station (Line B underground). Total trip time is 1 hour. Tickets are sold at authorized sales points and onboard from the driver (surcharge applies).
Terravision buses depart from from the bus station (bus stall 3) at Terminal 3 Arrivals area exit and travel to Roma Termini Station (via Marsala). Buses depart daily for the 1 hour journey every 30 minutes. Tickets are available online and onboard the bus.
Sit Bus Shuttle buses depart from from the bus station (bus stall 1) at Terminal 3 Arrivals area exit and travel to Roma Termini Station (via Marsala) and the Vatican (via Crescenzio 2). Buses depart daily for the 1 hour journey every 30 minutes. Tickets are available online and onboard the bus.
T.A.M. buses depart from from the bus station (bus stall 4) at Terminal 3 Arrivals area exit and travel to Ostiense Station Piazzale 12 Ottobre 1492 (Roma Termini via Giovanni Giolitti 10). Buses depart daily for the 45 min journey every 30 minutes. Tickets are available online and onboard the bus.
Atral-Schiaffini buses depart from from the bus station (bus stall 1) at Terminal 3 Arrivals area exit and travel to Giolitti Street/Termini Train Station. Buses depart daily. Tickets are sold online, onboard the bus or at authorized sales points in Terminal 3 Arrivals area.
The following car rental agencies are located onsite: Auto Europa, Avis/Budget, Europcar, Hertz, Locauto Rent, Maggiore, Sixt and Rent4U. The car rentals area is located in Torre Uffici 2 in the Multi-level Comfort Parking structure, connected to the airport terminals by pedestrian tunnels. Follow the signs from Arrivals.
Several area hotels provide airport shuttle service free or for a fee. Contact your hotel of choice for shuttle service availability. The following hotels offer airport shuttle service: Comfort Hotel Roma Airport Fiumicino • Hilton Garden Inn Rome Airport • Hotel De La Ville Relais • Welcome Airport Hotel.
The airport offers a free shuttle bus service that travels between the terminals, the airport’s parking lots and the Cargo City area. Buses run in 15 minute intervals, but must be requested via intercom (there is one available at each stop) between the hours of 1:00AM - 5:00AM.
Official City of Rome taxis are readily available at Terminals 1, 2 and 3, and can also be hailed from the street for trips to the airport. These taxis are white with an illuminated “TAXI” sign on the top and the license number printed on the doors, back and inside of the cab. At the time of this update, the following flat rates are available to/from the airport, and include baggage for up to 4 passengers: Ostiense Station €45, Aurelian Walls €48, Tiburtina Station €55, Civitavecchia Harbor €120, Magliana Castle €30, New Rome Fair €25 and Ciampino Airport €50.
Fiumicino has a train station located near the Arrivals and Departures Terminal. Three Trenitalia rail services connect the airport with central Rome:
The Leonardo Express is a non-stop service between Fiumicino Airport and Rome Termini train station, with departures every 30 min (every 15 mins at peak times). Total travel time is 32 mins one way. First departure is at 5:50AM from Rome Termini (6:38AM from the airport) and last departure is at 10:50PM from Rome Termini (11:38PM from the airport). Trains are guaranteed to run, even during a strike. A one-way ticket is € 14.00 per person, with discounts or free travel for children and infants. For the discounted fee of € 4.00, Leonardo Express ticketholders can take advantage of the Fast Track service to speed through security checks (T3 only). For the discounted price of € 24.00, ticketholders may also access VIP lounges Le Anfore (Boarding Area G) and I Mosaici (Boarding Area D). Children and infants are granted free or reduced fee entrance.
FL1 regional trains offer service between the airport and important train stations, including these main train stations in Rome: Tiburtina, Tuscolana, Trastevere and Ostiense. A one-way ticket is € 8 - € 11 per person, depending on your destination.
Frecciargento trains offer modern and comfortable service along high-speed and traditional rail lines between Fiumicino Airport and major cities in the northeast and south sides of the country. Passengers can travel 1st or 2nd class in one of over 52 trains traveling between the airport and Florence, Bologna, Reggio di Calabria, Bari/Lecce, Padua, Venice, Verona and other cities.
Tickets for any of the above services can be purchased online, at ticket vending machines, Trenitalia ticket offices, authorized travel agents and authorized points of sale. For further information, visit the Trenitalia website.
Last Updated: 13 October 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.