Rome Fiumicino Airport
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Rome Fiumicino Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Slept here last week undisturbed in Terminal 3 , third floor, bring a mattress or similar and you have a good sleep on the ground. -Fremantlefred
First of all, I want to say thank you to other comment writters for giving so much useful information about the FCO airport, they gave me confident to stay overnight there
As My friends and I book an early flight in the morning, we had no choice to stay overnight in the airport rather than got up at around 4AM and took the transportation in the dangerous Roma city, believe me, staying in the airport must be safer than walking around the the roma city in the midnight.
Let me introduce the airport first. It composed of three terminals. Terminal 2 is the smallest terminal which closed around 10pm, it is the worst terminal as mosquito all around, although no bad smell, the environment was not good to stay as the light was dim, it make ppl feel unsafe.
Terminal 1 is bigger than 2, there was a customer service centre in the upper floor, you can get all information there. However, terminal 1 will be closed at around 1am, according to the lady from CS, the airprot sometimes will be opened for 24 hrs, just depends on the flight arrangement, there are total 2X sit around the terminal 1, but the sit were sepreated in different corner, it seems unsafe if robbery happened as you could not call help from others.
Terminal 3 is the most suitable place to stay overnight, it had the highest rate of flight arrival and departure, the flights stopped around 1am and started around 4am, so the ternimal was always crowded.
There were one McDonald's and one coffee shop, but they closed around 11pm. There were three toilet, one toilet was paid, but sometimes you can found the toilet unlocked, so that you can enjoy free toileting.
There are almost 150 sits in the upper floor placing in the same region, 50 sits were occupied at around 1030pm, some bench were handrail free, obverously they were malicious damaged. we put two bench facing each other to made a 'do not get close' area to protect ourselves as we afraid that robbery happened, but we found that we were over-reacted as the environment was safe, security forces patrolled through out the night, at least 3-4 times/night, they were nice and get used to so many people staying, they won't disturb you but willing to provide help if you had questions.
The lighting in seat region was enough, even it turned dimmer from 1-4am, but you would not feel dangerous.
To provide more information, the electronic plugs were not easy to find, and they are not next to the sitting area, so it may be not convenient if you bring computer. Also, only 30 min Free WiFi provided if you had a local mobile phone no., search for 'linken' for Free WiFi login
To conclude, if you were budget traveler and booked an early flight, stay in terminal 3 was not a bad choice, at least it was safe and clean to stay.
Have you been to Rome Fiumicino Airport recently? Tell us about it!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- I Mosaici - Location: Terminal 3, Airside, 1st Floor, Gate D5 (Schengen Area). Showers are available. Hours: 615am - 830pm. Rate: £30.00 per person for 3 hours (online) to guarantee that you have a seat. » book lounge
- Le Anfore Business Class Lounge - Location: Terminal 3, Airside, Satellite Area, opposite Gates C30 and C31 (Non-Schengen Flights). Showers are available. Hours: 615am - 11:45pm. Rate: £30.00 per person for 3 hours (online) to guarantee that you have a seat. » book lounge
- Avia Lounge - Location: Terminal 3, Airside, 2nd Floor (escalator near Gates C and D). Hours: 530am - 830pm. Rate: £25.00 per person for 3 hours (online) to guarantee that you have a seat.
» book lounge
- Atahotel VIP Lounge
- Alitalia Lounges - There a 5 Alitalia lounges (three in Terminal 1 and two in Terminal 3). Rate: Free for Ulisse members. MilleMiglia members pay EUR 30.
Free WiFi is available at Rome Fiumicino Airport for 30 minutes. Connect to the "Boingo" network. After the 30 minute time limit, you can buy extra time. Internet kiosks are available in Terminal 3.
If sleeping in the Rome Fiumicino Airport does not appeal to you, there is a hotel at the airport....
- Hilton Hotel - connected to airport by a pedestrian walkway. Day rooms are offered 900am-600pm.
- Hilton Garden Inn - Free airport shuttle operates every 30 minutes between 6am-1030pm.
- Al Porticciolo Hotel - airport shuttle bus is available
- Best Western - shuttle bus available on request (at extra cost)
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Fiumicino Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Information not available
- Car Rentals - Auto Europe • Avis • Budget • Easycar • Europcar • Hertz • Maggiore • Sixt and more. Location: The car rental counters are located in Torre Uffici 2, which is accessible via the pedestrian tunnels to the Multilevel Parking building.
- Chapel -
The Christian Chapel - Location: Terminal 3, International Departures.
Multi-faith Room - Locations: Terminal 3, International Arrivals and Terminal 2, Domestic Arrivals
- Currency Exchange - There are approx. 14 foreign currency desks predominately located in Termal 3 and 5 (landside and airside). Hours: vary. At the time of this update I do not see a desk that is open 24 hours. They seem to be open from around 5am (earliest) to 11pm (latest).
- Food & Drinks - There are a few 24-hour food and beverage concessions available:
» Landside: Rustichelli & Mangione (Terminal 3, Departures Mezzanine) • Vacanze Romane (Terminal 3, Arrivals).
» Airside: Hello - Spizzico (G01) •
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Location: Terminal 3, Arrivals level. Hours: 630 am - 1130 pm. Rate: 6 Euros per item per 24 hours
- Pharmacy - Locations: Terminal 1, Departures (Hours: 7am - 10pm) • Terminal 3, Departures Mezzanine, Landside (Hours: 7am - 10pm)
- Showers - not available
Eduardo J (29 Jul 2012): I just slept there the a couple of weeks ago, you have to stay in the T2 since all the other terminals close during the night, upstairs there are some benches where you can fit nicely if you're smaller than I am, I opted for my sleeping bag downstairs near the last entrance to the right, no one bothered me and nearby you can find the only power outlets in the airport.
Open 24 hours
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Rome Fiumicino Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2014 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2014.
- Submit your Airport Review - Register to submit your airport review or simply email your annonymous review to me and I will add it to the database.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Rome Travel Resources
- Rome Hotel Deals - compare rates, check availability and read reviews
Last Updated: 18 January 2014
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you du ring your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.