Rome Fiumicino Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Rome Fiumicino Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Slept here last week undisturbed in Terminal 3 , third floor, bring a mattress or similar and you have a good sleep on the ground. -Fremantlefred
by a traveller
October 2015 - I am at the H gates in Terminal 5. If you are arriving early thinking you can do some shopping, looking around, or you just want to relax before your flight...don't bother. There iare only about 3 stores, maybe 2 restaurants (and that is being generous since the one I'm looking at is a coffee bar with about 8 tables) and only hard metal seats at the gate (and there honestly aren't many of those). It's like sitting on a metal slab (and I'm here for 2 hours). If you smoke, there is a smoking 'cabin' right by H3, so I guess that's a plus. There is free wi-fi in the airport, so that's a good thing as well. But service and seating wise, this would be similar to a very small town airport in North America. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but it could be surprising for folks used to a certain level of service at international gates.
Have you been to Rome Fiumicino Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Rome Fiumicino airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- I Mosaici - Location: Terminal 3, Airside, 1st Floor, Gate D5 (Schengen Area). Showers are available. Hours: 8:30AM - 6:30PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
- Le Anfore Business Class Lounge - Location: Terminal 3, Airside, Satellite Area, opposite Gates C30 and C31 (Non-Schengen Flights). Showers are available. Hours: 6:15AM - 11:45PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
- Avia Lounge - Location: Terminal 3, Airside, 2nd Floor (escalator near Gates C and D). Hours: 5:30AM - 8:30AM (Daily). Lounge Access: Book Online (£25.00) • Priority Pass.
- Alitalia Lounges - There a 5 Alitalia lounges (three in Terminal 1 and two in Terminal 3). Rate: Free for Ulisse members. MilleMiglia members pay EUR 30.
Unlimited free WiFi is available at Rome Fiumicino Airport. Connect to the "Airport Free WiFi" or "Boingo" networks to register.
If sleeping in Rome Fiumicino Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Hilton Rome Airport - (5 min walk from the airport terminals) Connected to the upper level of Terminals 1, 2, and 3 by a covered, moving walkway. Hotel offers free shuttle to Rome city center every 2 hours from 8:00AM to 10:00PM. Day rooms are offered 9:00AM - 6:00PM.
- Hilton Garden Inn Rome Airport - (5 min from the airport) Free, unlimited 24-hr airport shuttle operates every 30 minutes between 5:00AM to 1:00AM. Shuttle stops at Departures (Terminals 1, 2, 3, and 5) and Arrivals (Terminals 1 and 3). Follow the “Airport Shuttle” sign at your nearest terminal. Between the hours of 5:00AM to 1:00AM, airport pick-up can be requested by using the courtesy phone at the shuttle stops.
- Sleep and Fly Rome Airport B&B - (5 min from the airport) Airport shuttle service available. Prices start at €10 daytime rate for two people w/luggage and €20 early morning/night time rate for two people w/luggage.
- Best Western - (6 minutes from the airport) - Airport shuttle available on request ($)
- BB Fly & Beach - (11 minutes from the airport) A budget hotel located in front of the beach. Free airport shuttle.
- Al Porticciolo Hotel - (11 minutes from the airport) Airport shuttle is available for €6 per person. Departure times: 4:00PM, 4:45PM, 5:30PM, 7:00PM, 7:45PM, 8:30PM, 9:15PM. Contact the hotel for unlisted times.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Fiumicino Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines -
ATM’s are available in all terminals.
- Chapel -
The Christian Chapel - Location: Terminal 3, International Departures.
Multi-faith Room - Locations: Terminal 3, International Arrivals and Terminal 2, Domestic Arrivals
- Currency Exchange - There are approx. 14 foreign currency desks predominately located in Termal 3 and 5 (landside and airside). Hours: vary. At the time of this update I do not see a desk that is open 24 hours. They seem to be open from around 5:00AM (earliest) to 11:00PM (latest).
- Fast Track Service - As a premium service, customers with Fast Track security passes will be given priority service to ensure that waiting is kept to a minimum. Cost: €5,00. Book on-line.
- Family Centre - Baby change care facilities, with beds, are available. Locations: Terminal 3, Departures Level in Boarding D, G and H areas and Check in area near the ADR Info Counter.
- First Aid Clinic - Locations: There are seven branches available throughout the airport.
- Food & Drinks - There are a few 24-hour food and beverage concessions available:
» Landside: Rustichelli & Mangione (Terminal 3, Departures Mezzanine) • Vacanze Romane (Terminal 3, Arrivals).
» Airside: Hello - Spizzico (G01) •
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Location: Terminal 3, Arrivals level. Hours: 6:30AM - 11:30PM. Rate: 6 Euros per item per 24 hours
- Pharmacy - Locations: Terminal 1, Departures (Hours: 7:00AM - 10:00PM) • Terminal 3, Departures Mezzanine, Landside (Hours: 7:00AM - 10:00PM)
- Showers - Showers are available in the lounges. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
- Smoking - Smoking is permitted in smoking lounges in designated areas. Locations: Terminal 1, Departures, airside. Terminal 3, Boarding D, G and H areas for International Departures.
Eduardo J (29 Jul 2012): I just slept there the a couple of weeks ago, you have to stay in the T2 since all the other terminals close during the night, upstairs there are some benches where you can fit nicely if you're smaller than I am, I opted for my sleeping bag downstairs near the last entrance to the right, no one bothered me and nearby you can find the only power outlets in the airport.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
The following bus lines serve Fiumicino Airport:
Cotral buses depart from Terminal 2 Arrivals area Regional Bus Station and travel to Piazza dei Cinquecento, Roma Tiburtina Station, Cornelia Station (Line A underground) and Eur-Magliana Station (Line B underground). Total trip time is 1 hour. Tickets are sold at authorized sales points and onboard from the driver (surcharge applies).
Terravision buses depart from from the bus station (bus stall 3) at Terminal 3 Arrivals area exit and travel to Roma Termini Station (via Marsala). Buses depart daily for the 1 hour journey every 30 minutes. Tickets are available online and onboard the bus.
Sit Bus Shuttle buses depart from from the bus station (bus stall 1) at Terminal 3 Arrivals area exit and travel to Roma Termini Station (via Marsala) and the Vatican (via Crescenzio 2). Buses depart daily for the 1 hour journey every 30 minutes. Tickets are available online and onboard the bus.
T.A.M. buses depart from from the bus station (bus stall 4) at Terminal 3 Arrivals area exit and travel to Ostiense Station Piazzale 12 Ottobre 1492 (Roma Termini via Giovanni Giolitti 10). Buses depart daily for the 45 min journey every 30 minutes. Tickets are available online and onboard the bus.
Atral-Schiaffini buses depart from from the bus station (bus stall 1) at Terminal 3 Arrivals area exit and travel to Giolitti Street/Termini Train Station. Buses depart daily. Tickets are sold online, onboard the bus or at authorized sales points in Terminal 3 Arrivals area.
The following car rental agencies are located onsite: Auto Europa, Avis/Budget, Europcar, Hertz, Locauto Rent, Maggiore, Sixt and Rent4U. The car rentals area is located in Torre Uffici 2 in the Multi-level Comfort Parking structure, connected to the airport terminals by pedestrian tunnels. Follow the signs from Arrivals.
Several area hotels provide airport shuttle service free or for a fee. Contact your hotel of choice for shuttle service availability. The following hotels offer airport shuttle service: Comfort Hotel Roma Airport Fiumicino • Hilton Garden Inn Rome Airport • Hotel De La Ville Relais • Welcome Airport Hotel.
The airport offers a free shuttle bus service that travels between the terminals, the airport’s parking lots and the Cargo City area. Buses run in 15 minute intervals, but must be requested via intercom (there is one available at each stop) between the hours of 1:00AM - 5:00AM.
Official City of Rome taxis are readily available at Terminals 1, 2 and 3, and can also be hailed from the street for trips to the airport. These taxis are white with an illuminated “TAXI” sign on the top and the license number printed on the doors, back and inside of the cab. At the time of this update, the following flat rates are available to/from the airport, and include baggage for up to 4 passengers: Ostiense Station €45, Aurelian Walls €48, Tiburtina Station €55, Civitavecchia Harbor €120, Magliana Castle €30, New Rome Fair €25 and Ciampino Airport €50.
Fiumicino has a train station located near the Arrivals and Departures Terminal. Three Trenitalia rail services connect the airport with central Rome:
The Leonardo Express is a non-stop service between Fiumicino Airport and Rome Termini train station, with departures every 30 min (every 15 mins at peak times). Total travel time is 32 mins one way. First departure is at 5:50AM from Rome Termini (6:38AM from the airport) and last departure is at 10:50PM from Rome Termini (11:38PM from the airport). Trains are guaranteed to run, even during a strike. A one-way ticket is € 14.00 per person, with discounts or free travel for children and infants. For the discounted fee of € 4.00, Leonardo Express ticketholders can take advantage of the Fast Track service to speed through security checks (T3 only). For the discounted price of € 24.00, ticketholders may also access VIP lounges Le Anfore (Boarding Area G) and I Mosaici (Boarding Area D). Children and infants are granted free or reduced fee entrance.
FL1 regional trains offer service between the airport and important train stations, including these main train stations in Rome: Tiburtina, Tuscolana, Trastevere and Ostiense. A one-way ticket is € 8 - € 11 per person, depending on your destination.
Frecciargento trains offer modern and comfortable service along high-speed and traditional rail lines between Fiumicino Airport and major cities in the northeast and south sides of the country. Passengers can travel 1st or 2nd class in one of over 52 trains traveling between the airport and Florence, Bologna, Reggio di Calabria, Bari/Lecce, Padua, Venice, Verona and other cities.
Tickets for any of the above services can be purchased online, at ticket vending machines, Trenitalia ticket offices, authorized travel agents and authorized points of sale. For further information, visit the Trenitalia website.
Last Updated: 10 April 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.