Rome Fiumicino Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Rome Fiumicino Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Slept here last week undisturbed in Terminal 3 , third floor, bring a mattress or similar and you have a good sleep on the ground. -Fremantlefred
Terminal 3 - I had a 20 hour wait airside in Rome Fiumicino due to weird flight patterns. It was too cold to go outside (I only had my carry on luggage) and I'm too cheap to pay the 60e for the hotel so decided to sleep it off. I asked the AlItalia desk and they advised me to stay around the G gates area of terminal 3 since it's more roomy than the H gates area. Plenty of space, hardly anyone else there. There are a lot of reclining metal seat things that are like mini beds, they have black mattresses on them that can be removed. I took 3 of them and just tried to find a warm place in the terminal - there was none. unfortunately. I ended up in the (very clean) disabled toilet but it was still freezing. Slept maybe 1 hour during the whole period. Wifi is free and really good though, and there are plugs everywhere. I had my comp so just streamed films which isn't actually too bad. I had lounge access but they all close at 11:30. The AlItalia lounge in G gate area is superior - it even has showers that can be unlocked with a coin, and look like they've never been used (but they work great). If you have some warm clothes, bring them and you'll be fine. The security even checked on me in the disabled toilet but left me alone and just asked if I was OK. Very nice people.
Have you been to Rome Fiumicino Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Rome Fiumicino airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- I Mosaici - Location: Terminal 3, Airside, 1st Floor, Gate D5 (Schengen Area). Showers are available. Hours: 615am - 830pm. Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
- Le Anfore Business Class Lounge - Location: Terminal 3, Airside, Satellite Area, opposite Gates C30 and C31 (Non-Schengen Flights). Showers are available. Hours: 615am - 11:45pm. Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
- Avia Lounge - Location: Terminal 3, Airside, 2nd Floor (escalator near Gates C and D). Hours: 530am - 830pm. Lounge Access: Book Online (£25.00) • Priority Pass.
- Alitalia Lounges - There a 5 Alitalia lounges (three in Terminal 1 and two in Terminal 3). Rate: Free for Ulisse members. MilleMiglia members pay EUR 30.
Unlimited free WiFi is available at Rome Fiumicino Airport. Connect to the "Airport Free WiFi" or "Boingo" networks to register.
If sleeping in Rome Fiumicino Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Hilton Rome Airport - (5 min walk from the airport terminals) Connected to the upper level of Terminals 1, 2, and 3 by a covered, moving walkway. Hotel offers free shuttle to Rome city center every 2 hours from 8am to 10pm. Day rooms are offered 9am-6pm.
- Hilton Garden Inn Rome Airport - (5 min from the airport) Free, unlimited 24-hr airport shuttle operates every 30 minutes between 5am to 1am. Shuttle stops at Departures (Terminals 1, 2, 3, and 5) and Arrivals (Terminals 1 and 3). Follow the “Airport Shuttle” sign at your nearest terminal. Between the hours of 5am to 1am, airport pick-up can be requested by using the courtesy phone at the shuttle stops.
- Sleep and Fly Rome Airport B&B - (5 min from the airport) Airport shuttle service available. Prices start at €10 daytime rate for two people w/luggage and €20 early morning/night time rate for two people w/luggage.
- Best Western - (6 minutes from the airport) - Airport shuttle available on request ($)
- BB Fly & Beach - (11 minutes from the airport) A budget hotel located in front of the beach. Free airport shuttle.
- Al Porticciolo Hotel - (11 minutes from the airport) Airport shuttle is available for €6 per person. Departure times: 4:00PM, 4:45PM, 5:30PM, 7:00PM, 7:45PM, 8:30PM, 9:15PM. Contact the hotel for unlisted times.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Fiumicino Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines -
ATM’s are available in all terminals.
- Chapel -
The Christian Chapel - Location: Terminal 3, International Departures.
Multi-faith Room - Locations: Terminal 3, International Arrivals and Terminal 2, Domestic Arrivals
- Currency Exchange - There are approx. 14 foreign currency desks predominately located in Termal 3 and 5 (landside and airside). Hours: vary. At the time of this update I do not see a desk that is open 24 hours. They seem to be open from around 5am (earliest) to 11pm (latest).
- Fast Track Service - As a premium service, customers with Fast Track security passes will be given priority service to ensure that waiting is kept to a minimum. Cost: €5,00. Book on-line.
- Family Centre - Baby change care facilities, with beds, are available. Locations: Terminal 3, Departures Level in Boarding D, G and H areas and Check in area near the ADR Info Counter.
- First Aid Clinic - Locations: There are seven branches available throughout the airport.
- Food & Drinks - There are a few 24-hour food and beverage concessions available:
» Landside: Rustichelli & Mangione (Terminal 3, Departures Mezzanine) • Vacanze Romane (Terminal 3, Arrivals).
» Airside: Hello - Spizzico (G01) •
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Location: Terminal 3, Arrivals level. Hours: 630 am - 1130 pm. Rate: 6 Euros per item per 24 hours
- Pharmacy - Locations: Terminal 1, Departures (Hours: 7am - 10pm) • Terminal 3, Departures Mezzanine, Landside (Hours: 7am - 10pm)
- Showers - Showers are available in the lounges. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
- Smoking - Smoking is permitted in smoking lounges in designated areas. Locations: Terminal 1, Departures, airside. Terminal 3, Boarding D, G and H areas for International Departures.
Eduardo J (29 Jul 2012): I just slept there the a couple of weeks ago, you have to stay in the T2 since all the other terminals close during the night, upstairs there are some benches where you can fit nicely if you're smaller than I am, I opted for my sleeping bag downstairs near the last entrance to the right, no one bothered me and nearby you can find the only power outlets in the airport.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
The domestic and international airports are accessible by several bus lines. They include:
COTRAL: Buses are at Terminal 2 Arrivals and stop at Rome Piazza dei Cinquecento (in front of the Museo Nazionale Romano) and at Rome Tiburtina Railway Station Cornelia Line A metro station. Tickets can be bought at authorized outlets or onboard at additional cost. The ride lasts about an hour. www.cotralspa.it
SIT BUS SHUTTLE: Buses are at Terminal 3 arrivals and stop at Rome's Termini Station (via Marsala) Zone Vatican. Service is Monday to Sunday. Tickets can be bought online or onboard. The ride lasts about 55 minutes and runs every 30 minutes. www.sitbusshuttle.it
TAM Srl: Buses are at Terminal 3 arrivals and stop at Rome's Ostiense station Piazzale October 12, 1492. Service is Monday to Sunday. Tickets can be bought onboard. The ride lasts about 45 minutes and runs every 30 minutes. www.tambus.it
TERRAVISION: Buses are at Terminal 3 arrivals and stop at Rome's Termini Station (via Marsala). Service runs Monday to Sunday. Tickets can be bought online or onboard. The ride lasts about 55 min and runs every 30 minutes. www.terravision.eu
ARTAL-SCHIAFFINI: Buses are at Terminal 3 arrivals and stop at Rome's Giolitti (Stazione Termini). Service runs Monday to Sunday. Tickets can be bought online or onboard, or in the arrivals hall Terminal 3. www.romeairportbus.com
From the train station, located within the airport, near the terminal arrival and departure airport, you can reach the city center with numerous links:
The Leonardo Express is a non-stop service dedicated to airport passengers to/from Rome Termini with departures every 30 min (every 15 mins at peak times). Travel time is 32 mins
The line FL1 Regional trains to/from other stations of Rome, including Rome Tiburtina, leave every 15 minutes on weekdays and every 30 public holidays
The Frecciargenta service is four high-speed trains, two incoming/two outgoing, daily connect the airport to Rome, Florence, Bologna, Padua and Venice. www.trenitalia.com
Taxis are available at the exits of Terminal 1, 2, 3 and 5. The rates are: to/from Fiumicino Airport-Ostiense Station 45€; to/from Fiumicino Airport-Aurelian Walls 48€; to/from Fiumicino Airport-Tiburtina Station 55€; to/from Fiumicino Airport-Port of Civitavecchia 120€; to/from Fiumicino Airport-Castle Magliana 30€; to/from Fiumicino Airport-New Fiera di Roma 25€; to/from Fiumicino Airport-Ciampino Airport 50€. The service fee is inclusive of luggage. All rates are fixed.
Car hire is available from a number of providers within the airport. Companies include: Auto Europe • Avis • Budget • Easycar • Europcar • Hertz • Maggiore • Sixt and more. Location: The car rental counters are located in Torre Uffici 2, which is accessible via the pedestrian tunnels to the Multilevel Parking building.
Rome Travel Resources
- Rome Hotel Deals - compare rates, check availability and read reviews
We Need Your Feedback!
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Rome Fiumicino Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2015 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2015.
- Write a Review - Please take a few minutes to write your airport review. Whether you provided a quick tip or a detailed review, you will be helping other travellers in a similar situation. Leave a guest review OR register for an account.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Last Updated: 10 April 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.