Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Rome Fiumicino Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
Slept here last week undisturbed in Terminal 3 , third floor, bring a mattress or similar and you have a good sleep on the ground. -Fremantlefred
A reader tells us that Fiumicino Airport now closes 12am – 3am to be disinfected – July 2020
FCO Airport Overview
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Rome Fiumicino Airport.
What to Expect
Rome Fiumicino Airport (code: FCO) is a large, old airport that has been renovated in sections over the decades. Your experience will depend largely on the terminal you’re in: Terminals 1, 2, 3, and 4. Expect a decent amount of walking, especially if you’re transferring to or from a long-haul flight.
This being Italy, you’ll find a range of eateries offering coffee, pizza, and pasta, plus shops and Italian fashion brands. Several cafes are open 24 hours. Travellers appreciate the free WiFi, the rest zone near the D Gates, and the pay-to-use shower facilities at the entrance of Terminals 1 and 3. Economy class passengers can upgrade their layover by paying to enter several airport lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and access information.
Sleeping in Fiumicino Airport
With frequent regional and international flights, there are always travellers catching some shuteye here. If you’re sleeping airside, a few solid sleep spots have reclining chairs, sofas, or armrest-free benches. A reader (2019) mentioned that they were not able to check-in (the security checkpoint is not open 24 hours) until 3 hours before their flight, which meant staying Landside for several hours. Plan ahead just in case. Landside, most seats have armrests, so you may end up on the cold, tiled floor. Check out any restaurants that are closed – you may be able to spread out on their padded seating. Common complaints are the bright lights and cold temps, so bring an eye mask and an extra layer. Explore our guide to sleeping in Rome Fiumicino Airport or read some traveller reviews for more tips. For uninterrupted sleep, one transit hotel is located inside the airport and another hotel connects to Terminals 1, 2, and 3. Additional area hotels offer free shuttle service for guests. See our Airport Hotels section below for more info.
For more airport information continue scrolling down to explore more in our Fiumicino Airport Guide.
Due to the current Covid-19 pandemic, all services and times listed below are subject to change. In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Plaza Premium Lounge (Non-Schengen) – Location: Terminal 3, Airside, non-Schengen Area, 2nd Floor. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid Lounge Passes • Lounge Membership Program.
Passes Passenger Lounge (Schengen) – Location: Terminal 3, Airside, Schengen Area, 2nd Floor, near Gate D3. Lounge Access: Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
Passes Passenger Lounge (Non-Schengen) – Location: Terminal 3, Airside, Non-Schengen Area, opposite Gate E41. Lounge Access: Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
Casa Alitalia Lounges – There a 4 Casa Alitalia lounges in Rome Fiumicino Airport available to passengers flying with Alitalia. While the lounges include the usual standard offerings, you will also be able to enjoy premium sparkling wine, exclusive coffee blends and Italian bathroom amenities. Lounge Access: $40 – 50.
HelloSky – Location: landside in front of Terminal 1 and Terminal 3. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (20€).
If sleeping in Rome Fiumicino Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
Inside Airport HelloSky – Located landside in front of Terminal 1 and Terminal 3. The facility provides air rooms, a lounge, showers and meeting rooms. The air rooms include a double or single bed, private bathroom and shower. Day use rooms are available for 3 or 6 hours between the hours 10:00AM – 6:00PM. Rates from 70€ (3 hours)/110€ (6 hours) for a single room or 90€ (3 hours)/120€ (6 hours) for a double room.
At Airport Hilton Rome Airport – (5 minute walk from the airport terminals) Connected to the upper level of Terminals 1, 2, and 3 by a covered, moving walkway. Hotel offers free shuttle to Rome city center every 2 hours from 8:00AM to 10:00PM. Day rooms are offered 9:00AM – 6:00PM.
Near Airport Hilton Garden Inn Rome Airport – (5 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle operates every 15 minutes between 5:00AM to 1:00AM. Shuttle stops at Departures (Terminals 1, 2, 3, and 5) and Arrivals (Terminals 1 and 3). Follow the “Airport Shuttle” sign at your nearest terminal. Between the hours of 5:00AM to 1:00AM, airport pick-up can be requested by using the courtesy phone at the shuttle stops.
Near Airport Sleep and Fly Rome Airport B&B – (5 minutes from the airport) Shuttle service to the airport and surrounding areas is available. Contact the owner for prices.
Near Airport Best Western – (6 minutes from the airport) – Airport shuttle is available on limited service. From T3 Arrivals, use Door 4 to exit and wait at Stop 3 in the parking area where you can catch the shuttle every 30-45 minutes starting from 1:00PM – 10:30PM, cost is 7,00€. From the hotel to the airport, the service starts at 5:00AM and runs until 3:00PM every 20-30 minutes, cost is also 7,00€ except the 5:00AM and 5:40AM shuttle when you will pay 8,00€.
Near Airport BB Fly & Beach – (11 minutes from the airport) A budget hotel located in front of the beach. Free airport shuttle service is available which could be subject to the owners availability.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Fiumicino Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Unlimited free WiFi is available at Rome Fiumicino Airport. Connect to the “Free Wi-Fi” network.
Two options are available: 1st option – receive free, super fast (up to 4 Mbps) access when you install the official free App of Rome Airports “Rome Airports”, or 2nd option – don’t install the official App and receive free, fast access (up to 2 Mbps).
- Post Office – Send your last minute postcards to friends and family from the airport’s post office. Location: T1, Arrivals. Hours: 8:30AM – 3:30PM (Mon-Fri).
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Children’s Play Area – When you want to ensure your kids burn off all their built up energy after their flight, take them to the children’s play area. Locations: Terminal 1, Landside, Arrivals near Belt 16 • Terminal 3, Landide, Arrivals, near Belt 10 and Airside, Boarding Area E, near Gate 51.
- Family Washrooms – Baby care facilities are available in the dedicated family washrooms, available throughout the airport.
- Nurseries – Cots and changing mats are available in the nursing areas. Five locations: Departures level of Terminal 3, near the info point • Near Gate D01 • Near Gate E11 • Near Gate E44 • Near Gate E51.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours:
- Landside: Semplicemente Roma (Arrivals, T3)
- Airside: Rosso Intenso food and wine (Gate D02) • Caffe Kimbo (E2nd Floor) • GranCafe Platinum (Gate E37-38 area)
- Vending machines are also available.
- Information Desk – If you have any questions, there are 11 Information Desks available in Arrivals, Departures and in the Transit Areas, all of which can provide you with assistance.
- Travel Agencies – If you are arriving in Rome and need local arrangements or help planning a really last minute trip abroad, there is a Punto nel Mondo travel agency with offices at the airport that can probably be of assistance. Locations: T1, Arrivals • T3, Arrivals.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – If you want to relieve yourself from the burden of heavy baggage, luggage storage is available. Location: T3, International Arrivals. Hours: 6:30AM – 11:30PM. Rate: €10 per item per 24 hour period (or part thereof), paid upon pick up.
- Luggage Trolleys – Need a hand with your luggage? Baggage trolleys are available free of charge.
- Luggage Wrapping – True Star and Safe Bag provide services in multiple locations (8) on the Departure Levels of Terminal 1 and Terminal 3. Hours: 7:00AM – 12:00AM.
- First Aid Clinic – If you feel unwell or injure yourself, medical centers are available. Locations: There are seven branches available throughout the airport.
- Pharmacy – Available. Locations: Pharmacy (Landside, T1. Hours: 6:00AM – 9:00PM) • Pharmacy (Landside, T3. Hours: 6:00AM – 9:30PM) • Angelini Health and Care (Airside, Boarding Area C. Hours: 7:00AM – 9:30PM) • Angelini Health and Care (Airside, Boarding Area E. Hours: 6:30AM – 10:00PM).
- Mobile Charging – Mobile charging stations are available, free of charge, at the following restaurants: Caffè Rome & You (T1, Landside) • Bagel Factory (T3, Landside) • Lavazza Moka (T3, Landside) • Sante (T3, Landside) • Semplicemente (T3, Landside) • Délice Maison Bakery & Cafe (T1, Arrivals) • Mokà (T1, Arrivals) • Bistrot (Airside, Gates C08-C16) • Briciole dolci e salate (Airside, Gates B14-B23) • Mercedes-Benz Cafè (Airside, Gate B10-B12) • The Burger Federation (Airside, Gate C08-C16).
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Landside and Airside.
- Currency Exchange – Foreign exchange counters can be found in the following locations:
- Landside: Best and Fast (T3. Hours: 6:00AM – 11:00PM) • Yex Change (T3. Hours: 6:00AM – 10:30PM).
- Airside: Best and Fast (Boarding Area B • Boarding Area C. Hours: 6:00AM – 11:00PM) • Yex Change (Boarding E31-44 • Boarding E • E51-61 • E12. Hours: 6:00AM – 10:00PM).
- Arrivals: Best and Fast (T3 x 2 locations. Hours: 6:00AM – 11:00PM) • Yex Change (T3 x2 locations). Hours: 6:00AM – 11:00PM).
- Prayer Room – A multi-faith prayer room and a catholic chapel are available in Terminal 3, International Arrivals.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – The airport has set up a few areas with reclining seating. A traveller (August 2018) tells us that there are two rest zones near the D Gates, specifically one at Gate D1 which was comfortable for sleeping except the bright lights. Unfortunately, we do not have additional information.
Take precaution even when sleeping in the rest zones. In December 2019, a traveller at another airport reported that money and credit cards had been stolen from their bag even though the bag was right beside them. Protect and lock your bags as you would sleeping elsewhere in public.
- Fast Track Service – As a premium service, customers with Fast Track security passes will be given priority service to ensure that waiting is kept to a minimum. Cost: €8,00. Book on-line
- Duty Free & Shopping – Duty Free is available as well as a good selection of stores selling everything from perfume, to clothing to books. Hours: vary by location, with most open on average from 6:00AM – 10:00PM.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Showers – Freshen up after a long flight or a night in the terminal with a shower at HelloSky. Service include a shower kit that comes with towel, shower gel, and slippers. Location: landside in front of Terminal 1 and Terminal 3. Hours: 7:00AM – 9:00PM. Rate €20. Showers are also available in some of the lounges. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
- Spa Services – Be Relax Spa offers spa services at the airport. Locations: Airside, near B14-23 • Airside, near D4 • Airside, Gates E33-34. Hours: 7:00AM – 10:00PM.
- Smoking – Smoking is permitted airside at designated smoking lounges in these locations: T1, airside, Departures (in the shops and restaurants area) • Gate B11 • between Gates B05 and B07 • Gate C08 • Gate D02 • Gate D05 • Gate E38 • Gate E51-52 • Gate E14 • In Terminal 3 departures, airside, restaurant area, upper level.
As of July 2020, the airport closes for a few hours at night to be disinfected.
Rome Fiumicino airport is served by the following airlines:
- Terminal 1: Aegean Airlines • Air Baltic • Air Corsica • Air Europa • Air France • Air Italy • Air Malta • Alitalia • Brussels Airlines • HOP! • KLM • Level • Lufthansa • Luxair • Mistral Air • NIKI • SAS • Swis • TAP Portugal • Vueling.
- Terminal 3: Aer Lingus • Aeroflot • Aerolíneas Argentinas • Air Albania • Air Algerie • Air Arabia • Air Canada • Air China • Air India • Air Moldova • Air Serbia • Air Transat • Alba Star • American Airlines • Asiana Airlines • AtlasJet Airlines • Austrian Airlines • Azerbaijan Airlines • Belavia • Blue Air • Blue Panorama Airlines • British Airways • Brussels Airlines • Bulgaria Air • Cathay Pacific • China Airlines • China Eastern • China Southern • Air Corsica • Croatia Airlines • CSA Czech Airlines • Delta • easyJet • EgyptAir • El Al Israel Airlines • Emirates • Ethiopian Airlines • Etihad Airways • Finnair • Fly Estelar • Flyone • Freebird Airlines • Germanwings • Hainan Airlines • Iberia • Iran Air • Isair • Jet2 • Kenya Airways • Korean Air • Kuwait Airways • LATAM • Mahan Air • MEA • Montenegro Airlines • My Way Airlines • Neos • Norwegian • Nouvelair • Onur Air • Pegasus Airlines • Pobeda • Qatar Airways • Royal Air Maroc • Royal Jordanian • Ryanair • SAS • Saudi Arabian Airlines • Siberia Airlines • Sichuan Airlines • Singapore Airlines • SunExpress • Swiss • TAROM • Tassili Airlines • Thai Airways • Titan Airways • Transavia • Tunis Air • Turkish Airlines • Tus Airways • Ukraine International Airlines • United Airlines • Ural Airlines • Uzbekistan Airways • Wizz Air • Yemen Airways.
FCO airport is well connected to the bus system. To plan your route, visit the Rome Fiumicino Airport website.
The following car rental agencies are located onsite: Autovia • Avis/Budget • Europcar • Hertz • Locauto Rent • Maggiore • Rent4U • Sixt and more. The car rentals area is located in Torre Uffici 2 in the Multi-level Comfort Parking structure, connected to the airport terminals by pedestrian tunnels.
Several area hotels provide airport shuttle service free or for a fee. Contact your hotel of choice for shuttle service availability. The following hotels offer airport shuttle service: Comfort Hotel Roma Airport Fiumicino • Hilton Garden Inn Rome Airport • Hotel De La Ville Relais • Airport One Hotel.
See also Airport Hotels above.
The airport offers a free shuttle bus service that travels between the terminals, the airport’s parking lots and the Cargo City area. Buses run in 15 minute intervals, but must be requested via intercom (there is one available at each stop) between the hours of 1:00AM – 5:00AM.
Official city taxis are available. These taxis are white with an illuminated “TAXI” sign on the top and the license number printed on the doors, back and inside of the cab. At the time of this December 2019 update, the following one-way flat rates are available to/from the airport: New Rome Fair €25, Rome Center (within the Aurelian Walls) €48, Ciampino Airport €50, Tiburtina Station €55 and Civitavecchia Harbor €120.
Fiumicino has a train station located near the Arrivals and Departures Terminal. Three Trenitalia rail services connect the airport with central Rome:
- The Leonardo Express is a non-stop service between Fiumicino Airport and Rome Termini train station, with departures every 30 min (every 15 mins at peak times). Total travel time is 32 mins one way.
- FL1 regional trains offer service between the airport and important train stations, including these main train stations in Rome: Tiburtina, Tuscolana, Trastevere and Ostiense.
- Frecciargento trains offer modern and comfortable service along high-speed and traditional rail lines between Fiumicino Airport and major cities in the northeast and south sides of the country.
Tickets for any of the above services can be purchased online, at ticket vending machines, Trenitalia ticket offices, authorized travel agents and authorized points of sale. For further information, visit the Trenitalia website.
Last updated: 2020-06-17
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.