Stockholm Arlanda Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Stockholm Arlanda Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I slept at the Terminal 2 between two desks and nobody annoyed me until 5am - when the desks opened. -alesssia
I spend one night in March. I had read the reviews here before opting to sleep in Arlanda airport.
After customs I found myself outside security around 11pm. I made my way to the Sky City area with many shops and a few restaurants. There are about a dozen long benches with backs and about three centimeters of padding. They are flat and constructed of cardboard and a bit hard and narrow but plenty long for me: 6'1'. About 3/4 were occupied in the restaurant areas that had already closed.
The Sky City area is dimly lit and quiet. I slept until 6am. There was a strong and very cold draft the second half of the night as if someone left a window open. About 4a there were many people walking behind the bench going to early morning flights, but no one bothered me. The cleaning crew drove noisy floor polishers that shook the floor several times.
Overall it wasn't bad. There is always a Clarion hotel right there attached to the airport if it becomes unbearable. :)
After going through security in the morning I saw many blocks of seats at the gates. They had no arm rests and more cushion than the Sky City benches but had a hard bar between each seat.
Arlanda offers 3hrs of Internet access. Register from your computer and an access code is sent to your cell phone.
I found one small block of lockers past the restrooms in Sky City but they were all rented.
The Sky City bathroom was a little dirty at night and not cleaned by 6a in the morning.
Have you been to Stockholm Arlanda Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Stockholm Arlanda airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Arlanda Lounge - Location: Terminal 5, Airside, Non-Schengen, F Pier. Lounge Access: Book Online (£22.00) • Priority Pass.
- Menzies Executive Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, Airside. Access only for Schengen & Non-Schengen Departures & Schengen Arrivals from T2. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Priority Pass.
- Menzies Executive Lounge - Location: Terminal 5, Airside, F-Pier. Transit passengers require a valid Schengen Visa. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Priority Pass.
- Menzies Business Lounge - Terminal 5, Airside, A-Pier, Upper Level. Transit passengers require a valid Schengen Visa. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online (£22.00) • Priority Pass.
- Free WiFi is available at Stockholm Arlanda Airport for up to 3 hours (or 100mb). Connect to the "Airport-Guest" network. If you require more time or data, you can buy access with a credit card: 1 hour (SEK 49) or 24 hours (SE129)
- Sidewalk Express offers pay per use internet stations. Location: 2,4,5, and SkyCity, landside.
If sleeping in Stockholm Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Clarion Hotel Arlanda - connected to SkyCity, between Terminals 4 and 5. Day rooms are available. If you are not a guest, you can pay to use the swimming pool, sauna and gym. A admission rate of SEK 150 includes towels.
- Radisson Blu Sky City - Located inside the airport, between Terminals 4 and 5. Day rooms are available for 4 or 8 hours. Guests can walk to or take free shuttle to all terminals.
- Rest and Fly - Located between Terminal 4 (domestic) and the escalator to SkyCity. Overnight rooms can be used for up to 10 hours. Day rooms can be rented by the hour between the hours of 6am to 8pm. Rooms do not have TV but rates do include bedding and towels (80 SEK if you want bed ready-made). Guests must store their luggage in the airport’s left luggage facility or self-service lockers located throughout the terminals.
- Radisson Blu Arlandia - (5 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle runs every 15 minutes between the hours 4am to Midnight.
- Connect Arlanda - (10 min from the airport) Reasonably priced hotel with a free airport shuttle (Hours: 4am - 12:30am). Bus departs from the hotel after every 30 minutes (on the hour and half-hour). Transfer time is approx. 10 minutes.
- Jumbo Stay - (10 min from the airport) A real 747 Jumbo Jet that has been converted into a hostel. Private rooms and 4-bed mixed dorm available. Free roundtrip airport shuttle.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Stockholm Arlanda Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- Airport Tours - If you are travelling with a group, the airport offers airport tours that can arranged before you arrive. » book a tour
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Cash machines dispense both SEK and EUR. Available before security in Terminals 2, 5 and SkyCity.
- Car Rentals - Avis • Budget • Europcar • Hertz • Sixt. Location: Car Rental Area - Take Transfer bus 17 from stop 17 outside terminals 2, 4 and 5. Sixt (Location: Arlanda Långtid Alfa long-term parking - Take transfer bus 14 from stop 14 outside terminals 2, 4 and 5).
- Chapel - Location: SkyCity, landside. Hours: 5am - 10pm
- Children's Play Area - Location: Terminal 4, airside, near Gate 31 and Terminal 5, airside.
- Currency Exchange - There are 5 currency exchange offices located landside in the following locations: Skycity, Terminal 2, and three offices in Terminal 5. There is also a Forex Bank located after security in Terminal 5.
- Food & Drinks - There are many food concessions at Arlanda Airport, but only one of them is open 24-hours. However, you can also find food vending machines in Terminals 2 and 3. Food concessions airside are open for as along as there are flights operatin
»Terminal 5 - Grand Cafe Stockholm (landside) • 7 Eleven Express
- Gym - You can pay to use the gym at the Clarion Hotel Arlanda. Gym Hours: 5am - 11pm. » see Airport Hotels above
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - There is a left luggage office located at Bagport: Terminal 5, Level 1. Hours: 6am-10pm. Rates: unknown. Additionally, there are lockers in Terminals 2, 4 and 5 (landside). Rates vary from SEK 30-50 per 24-hours period.
- Pharmacy - Location: SkyCity, Landside. Hours: 7am - 8pm (Mon - Fri), 930am - 5pm (Sat) and 930am - 8pm (Sun).
- Showers - Showers are available at Rest and Fly. Rate: 75SEK
- Smoking Rooms - Available in Terminal 2 (entrance A) and Terminal 5 (near gate 3, 13, F65, and level 3 after the large duty free)
- Swimming Pool & Sauna - You can pay to use the swimming pool and sauna at the Clarion Hotel Arlanda. Pool Hours: 530am - 9pm. Sauna Hours: 5am - 9pm (Mon - Fri) and 10am - 11pm (Sat - Sun). » see Airport Hotels above
The airport is open 24 hours. Terminal 3 closes at night.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Arlanda airport is accessed by several local and long-distance bus lines. Passengers can take a bus to or from Stockholm, Uppsala, Västerås, Malmö and points beyond. The most popular bus services to/from Arlanda Airport are:
Air Shuttle - The Air Shuttle travels from the City Terminal Bus Station in central Stockholm to Arlanda Airport (total trip time: 35 minutes). The bus departs for the airport every 20 minutes and stops at Terminals 2, 4 and 5. Free WiFi is available on board, and each seat has an electrical outlet to charge laptops and mobile phones. Air Shuttle tickets can be purchased on the Air Shuttle website, on board from the driver, at any Pressbyrån outlet or 7-11 convenience store, at any Information counter in Arlanda airport, or from automated ticket machines located in the airport terminals.
Flygbussarna - These highly eco-friendly buses run on RME bio-fuel, a fossil fuel made from rapeseed. Drivers apply Smart Driving eco-friendly techniques during the journey in order to lower fuel consumption. Free WiFi is available on board. Tickets can be purchased via SMS (text message), on the Flygbussarna website or mobile app, on board from the driver (payment by credit card only), at any Pressbyrån outlet or 7-11 convenience store, or from the automated ticket machines located in the airport terminals and Flygbussarna bus stops. Three routes are available:
- To/from Stockholm city center - Departs every 10 minutes, with stops along the motorway and St Eriksplan.
- To/from Bromma Airport - Departs every 20 minutes, with stops in Kista and Sundbyberg.
- To/from Liljeholmen - Departs every 20 minutes, with stops in Hornstull, Fridhemsplan, and Karolinska Hospital.
Night Bus to Stockholm and Uppsala - SL (Stockholm Transport) night bus 592 runs between Arlanda Airport and central Stockholm. Night bus 593 runs between Uppsala and central Stockholm, with stops at Knivsta Station and Arlanda Airport. Visit SL’s website for further details.
Uppsala Airport Coach - UL (Upplands Lokaltrafik) airport bus route 801 runs between Arlanda and Uppsala. Buses depart twice an hour from 3:00AM - 12:00AM. Visit UL’s website for further information.
Nettbuss Bus4You Västerås - Like Flygbussarna, Nettbuss operates a fleet of eco-friendly buses that run on RME-biofuel. Nettbuss provides a nonstop service between Arlanda Airport and Västerås. Each seat has free WiFi and an electrical outlet for charging laptops and mobile phones. Tickets can be purchased on Nettbuss’ website or mobile app, at the airport’s information desks, through travel agents, and from automated ticket machines in Terminals 2, 4 and 5.
Swebus Airport Service - Swebus runs four bus lines from Arlanda Airport (all terminals) to Uppsala and Örebro, stopping at several points in between. For fare and schedule information, visit the Swebus website.
Avis • Budget • Europcar and Hertz car rental agencies operate at Arlanda Airport’s car rentals area. Alamo •Enterprise and National car rental agencies can be found at Terminal 2. Sixt car rental agency is located in low-price parking lot Alfa. From Terminals 2, 4 and 5, parking bus Alfa will take you to Sixt and parking bus Beta will take you to the agencies in the car rentals area. Parking buses operate very frequently during peak hours.
Car sharing is an economical and eco-friendly way to rent a car for a brief period. Car sharing stations are located throughout the city, and are open 24 hours a day. Vehicles can be picked up at one station and dropped off at another. Car2Go and Sunfleet have vehicles available for use from Arlanda Airport.
Only approved eco-taxis are permitted to operate from the taxi stands at Arlanda Airport. Fares are not fixed, and all taxis must clearly display their highest fare (comparative price) on both sides of the vehicle. This allows passengers to quickly compare pricing before selecting a taxi. There is no need to take the first taxi in the queue. The maximum price for trips within the marked zone boundaries is SEK 675 (price valid for up to 4 passengers traveling to a single address). Taxi dispatchers are available if you require assistance or need to order a wheelchair accessible vehicle.
Sweden’s train system provides a fast, comfortable and eco-friendly way to get to and from the airport. Most trains access the airport from Arlanda Central Station, located between Terminals 4 and 5 in an area called SkyCity. The Arlanda Express accesses the airport directly from all terminals. The following trains provide service to and from Arlanda Airport:
Arlanda Express - A high-speed train that runs a non-stop route between Stockholm Central Station and Arlanda Airport (total trip time: 20 minutes). The Arlanda Express can be accessed from all airport terminals by taking any escalator or elevator leading down to the train. Passengers can ride the Arlanda Express for free between Terminals 2, 3, and 5. Tickets can be purchased at the airport information desks or from the Arlanda Express automated ticket machines located near the elevators and escalators. Timetables can be viewed on the Arlanda Express website or mobile app.
Commuter Trains - Commuter trains run from Arlanda Central Station to Stockholm Central Station or Uppsala. Total trip time for commuter service is 18 minutes to Uppsala and 38 minutes to Stockholm Central Station. Tickets can be purchased at SL or UL sales points and Arlanda Central Station. Passengers who board or depart a commuter train at Arlanda Central Station must pay a station access fee of SEK 85. If the fee is not included in your ticket price, it can be paid for at the station counter in Arlanda Central Station.
Long Distance Trains - Passengers can take a long distance train from Arlanda Central Station to Uppsala, Malmö, Gävle and points beyond. Visit SJ or Tågkompaniet websites for routes, fares and further information.
We Need Your Feedback!
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Stockholm Arlanda Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2015 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2015.
- Write a Review - Please take a few minutes to write your airport review. Whether you provided a quick tip or a detailed review, you will be helping other travellers in a similar situation. Leave a guest review OR register for an account.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Stockholm Travel Resources
- Stockholm Hotel Deals - compare rates, check availability and read reviews
Last Updated: 10 April 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.