Stockholm Arlanda Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Stockholm Arlanda Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I slept at the Terminal 2 between two desks and nobody annoyed me until 5am - when the desks opened. -alesssia
photo credit: Andreas Trepte / Wikimedia
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at Stockholm Arlanda Airport.
What to Expect
- The large airport has four terminals: T2, T3, T4, and T5. T2 and T5 both house international flights, though T5 is much newer and larger. T3 and T4 are for domestic flights. SkyCity, the connection to the train station, is located between T4 and T5.
- Airport staff are generally tolerant of overnight travellers trying to sleep - travellers report helpful security and feeling very safe.
- The airport is open 24-hours, though T3 closes overnight.
- Two Landside cafes are available 24-hours, one in T5 and one in SkyCity. See Food & Drinks in the airport guide below.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Overall you won’t have a problem finding seats or lounges to spread out on. Head to SkyCity for the most options. Go upstairs to find even quieter lounge chairs.
- Some travellers report making it to Airside before security closes overnight. The seating around Gate F33 is comfortable and quiet.
- Very quiet overnight - things start waking up around 5am.
- The airport can be very cold, so bring layers and a warm blanket.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels at and connected to the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Showers are available for a fee.
Economy class travelers can buy a pass to relax in several airport lounges in T2 and T5; showers are available in some. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Stockholm Arlanda Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Stockholm Arlanda airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Arlanda Lounge - Location: Terminal 5, Airside, Non-Schengen, F Pier. Hours: 8:00AM - 10:00PM (Mon, Thurs, Sat) • 8:00AM - 7:00PM (Tues, Wed, Fri, Sun). Lounge Access: Book Online (£22.00).
- Menzies Executive Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, Airside. Access only for Schengen & Non-Schengen Departures & Schengen Arrivals from T2. Hours: 5:15AM - 8:45PM (Mon - Fri) • 5:30AM - 8:30PM (Sat) • 5:30AM - 8:45PM (Sun). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door.
- Menzies Executive Lounge - Location: Terminal 5, Airside, F-Pier. Transit passengers require a valid Schengen Visa. Hours: 6:30AM - 6:30PM (Mon - Fri) • 10:00AM - 3:30PM (Sat) • 9:30AM - 4:30PM (Sun). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door.
- Menzies Business Lounge - Terminal 5, Airside, A-Pier, Upper Level. Transit passengers require a valid Schengen Visa. Hours: 5:30AM - 7:30PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online (£22.00).
Free WiFi is available at Stockholm Arlanda Airport for up to 3 hours or 100 MB. Connect to the "Airport-Guest" network. If you require more time or data, you can buy additional access with a credit card at the following rates: SEK 49 for 1 hour or SEK 129 for 24 hours.
Sidewalk Express offers pay per use internet stations. Location: 2,4,5, and SkyCity, landside.
If sleeping in Stockholm Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Clarion Hotel Arlanda - connected to SkyCity, between Terminals 4 and 5. Day rooms are available. If you are not a guest, you can pay to use the swimming pool, sauna and gym. A admission rate of SEK 150 includes towels.
- Radisson Blu Sky City - Located inside the airport, between Terminals 4 and 5. Day rooms are available for 4 or 8 hours. Guests can walk to or take free shuttle to all terminals.
- Rest and Fly - Located between Terminal 4 (domestic) and the escalator to SkyCity. Overnight rooms can be used for up to 10 hours. Day rooms can be rented by the hour between the hours of 6:00AM to 8:00PM. Rooms do not have TV but rates do include bedding and towels (150 SEK for the first hour and 50 SEK each subsequent hour). Guests must store their luggage in the airport’s left luggage facility or self-service lockers located throughout the terminals.
- Radisson Blu Arlandia - (5 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle runs every 15 minutes between the hours 4:00AM to Midnight.
- Connect Arlanda - (10 min from the airport) Reasonably priced hotel with a free airport shuttle (Hours: 4:00AM - 12:30AM). Bus departs from the hotel after every 30 minutes (on the hour and half-hour). Transfer time is approx. 10 minutes.
- Jumbo Stay - (10 min from the airport) A real 747 Jumbo Jet that has been converted into a hostel. Private rooms and 4-bed mixed dorm available. Free roundtrip airport shuttle.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Stockholm Arlanda Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- Airport Tours - If you are travelling with a group, the airport offers airport tours that can arranged before you arrive. » book a tour
- ATMs / Cash Machines - ATMs are available airside in T2, T4 and T5, and landside in SkyCity. An ATM in the T5 Departure Hall dispenses both Swedish Crowns and Euro.
- Baby Care Facilities - A changing room for babies is available landside in SkyCity, between T4 and T5. Diaper changing tables are available in all restrooms throughout each of the terminals. Strollers are available for use in the airport, free of charge, from check-in to the gate. Airport strollers can be picked up in T2, T4 and T5. Passengers of T3 can pick up a stroller from T2.
- Banking - Handelsbanken and SEB offer full-service banking and currency exchange. Location: SkyCity, landside Handelsbanken Hours: 9:30AM - 6:00PM (Mon,Thurs and open until 4:00PM on Tues,Wed,Fri) • SEB Hours: 9:30AM - 3:00PM (Mon-Fri).
- Chapel - Find peace and solace at the airport’s interfaith chapel. If you need a priest, a Church of Sweden priest is available on hand Monday through Friday. Location: T5, landside Hours: 5:00AM - 10:00PM.
- Children's Play Area - Your kids will love these whimsical travel-themed play areas! Locations: T4, airside, Gate 31 • T5, airside.
- Currency Exchange - Currency exchange and Western Union money transfers are available in the airport:
- Landside: Forex (T2 and SkyCity) • Handelsbanken (SkyCity) • SEB (T5 and SkyCity) • X-Change (T5 - three locations). Hours: vary according to location.
- Airside: Forex (T5). Hours: unknown.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty Free stores are available airside in T2, T4 and T5 (Schengen and non-Schengen). A variety of retails shops are also available. Most shops open an hour before first flight departure, and close just after last flight departure of the day.
- Faxing & Printing - Faxing and printing services are available at Bagport, in addition to the VIP lounges. See Luggage Storage & Lockers for location and hours.
- Fitness Center - You can pay to use the gym, sauna, jacuzzi and other facilities inside the SATS Fitness Centre in the Radisson Blu, for a one-time visitors fee of SEK 200. Location: SkyCity, landside, Radisson Blu SkyCity Hotel, 5th Floor Hours: 5:00AM - 10:00PM (Mon-Fri) and 7:00AM - 9:00PM (Sat-Sun). You can also pay to use the swimming pool, sauna and gym at the Clarion Hotel Arlanda. Hours: 5:00AM - 9:00PM.
- Food & Drinks - Most food concessions throughout the airport operate according to flight schedules. These options are open 24 hours: Sky Cafe (Sky City, landside) • 7 Eleven Express (T5, landside). Vending machines are available in T2 and T3.
- Information Desk - You will find an Information Desk in every Terminal except Terminal 3. Hours are not known.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Bagport offers left luggage and clothing storage. Rates: unknown Location: T5, landside, Level 1 Hours: 6:00AM - 10:00PM. Additionally, there are left luggage lockers landside in T2, T4 and T5. Rates vary from SEK 30-50 per 24-hour period.
- Luggage Wrapping - Available at Bagport. See Luggage Storage & Lockers for location and hours.
- Medical Services - Vaccinations and medical consultations are available at the Airport Sky healthcare clinic. Location: SkyCity, landside, Entrance A, 5th Floor Hours: 8:00AM - 5:00PM. AktiveraKliniken offers naprapathic medicine and massage therapy. Location: SkyCity, landside, Entrance F, Level 6 Hours: 8:00AM - 5:00PM. Therapeutic massage, medical podiatry, acupuncture and chiropractic treatments are available at Flygterapeuterna. Location: SkyCity, landside, Entrance B, take stairs from the Airport Fashion Men store Hours: unknown
- Pharmacy - A wide range of health and beauty products are available at Apoteksgruppen. You can even get your prescriptions filled in their SkyCity location! Locations: SkyCity, landside Hours: 7:00AM - 8:00PM Mon-Fri, 9:30AM - 5:00PM Sat and 9:30AM - 8:00PM Sun • T5, airside Hours: Opens one hour before first flight departure and closes after last flight departure.
- Showers - Showers are available at Rest and Fly. Rate: 85 SEK
- Smoking Rooms - Available in Terminal 2 (entrance A) and Terminal 5 (near gate 3, 13, F65, and level 3 after the large duty free).
- Spa & Salon Services - Hair styling and styling products are available at Flygfrisören. Location: SkyCity, landside Hours: 10:00AM - 6:00PM (Mon-Fri - closed Christmas and New Year holidays) • Manis, pedis, massage and more are available at Sky Beauty. Location: SkyCity, landside Hours: 10:00AM - 6:00PM (Mon-Fri).
The airport is open 24 hours. Terminal 3 closes at night.
Arlanda airport is accessed by several local and long-distance bus lines. Passengers can take a bus to or from Stockholm, Uppsala, Västerås, Malmö and points beyond. The most popular bus services to/from Arlanda Airport are:
Air Shuttle - The Air Shuttle travels from the City Terminal Bus Station in central Stockholm to Arlanda Airport (total trip time: 35 minutes). The bus departs for the airport every 20 minutes and stops at Terminals 2, 4 and 5. Free WiFi is available on board, and each seat has an electrical outlet to charge laptops and mobile phones. Air Shuttle tickets can be purchased on the Air Shuttle website, on board from the driver, at any Pressbyrån outlet or 7-11 convenience store, at any Information counter in Arlanda airport, or from automated ticket machines located in the airport terminals.
Flygbussarna - These highly eco-friendly buses run on RME bio-fuel, a fossil fuel made from rapeseed. Drivers apply Smart Driving eco-friendly techniques during the journey in order to lower fuel consumption. Free WiFi is available on board. Tickets can be purchased via SMS (text message), on the Flygbussarna website or mobile app, on board from the driver (payment by credit card only), at any Pressbyrån outlet or 7-11 convenience store, or from the automated ticket machines located in the airport terminals and Flygbussarna bus stops. Three routes are available:
- To/from Stockholm city center - Departs every 10 minutes, with stops along the motorway and St Eriksplan.
- To/from Bromma Airport - Departs every 20 minutes, with stops in Kista and Sundbyberg.
- To/from Liljeholmen - Departs every 20 minutes, with stops in Hornstull, Fridhemsplan, and Karolinska Hospital.
Night Bus to Stockholm and Uppsala - SL (Stockholm Transport) night bus 592 runs between Arlanda Airport and central Stockholm. Night bus 593 runs between Uppsala and central Stockholm, with stops at Knivsta Station and Arlanda Airport. Visit SL’s website for further details.
Uppsala Airport Coach - UL (Upplands Lokaltrafik) airport bus route 801 runs between Arlanda and Uppsala. Buses depart twice an hour from 3:00AM - 12:00AM. Visit UL’s website for further information.
Nettbuss Bus4You Västerås - Like Flygbussarna, Nettbuss operates a fleet of eco-friendly buses that run on RME-biofuel. Nettbuss provides a nonstop service between Arlanda Airport and Västerås. Each seat has free WiFi and an electrical outlet for charging laptops and mobile phones. Tickets can be purchased on Nettbuss’ website or mobile app, at the airport’s information desks, through travel agents, and from automated ticket machines in Terminals 2, 4 and 5.
Swebus Airport Service - Swebus runs four bus lines from Arlanda Airport (all terminals) to Uppsala and Örebro, stopping at several points in between. For fare and schedule information, visit the Swebus website.
Avis • Budget • Europcar and Hertz car rental agencies operate at Arlanda Airport’s car rentals area. Alamo • Enterprise and National car rental agencies can be found at Terminal 2. Sixt car rental agency is located in low-price parking lot Alfa. From Terminals 2, 4 and 5, parking bus Alfa will take you to Sixt and parking bus Beta will take you to the agencies in the car rentals area. Parking buses operate very frequently during peak hours.
Car sharing is an economical and eco-friendly way to rent a car for a brief period. Car sharing stations are located throughout the city, and are open 24 hours a day. Vehicles can be picked up at one station and dropped off at another. Car2Go and Sunfleet have vehicles available for use from Arlanda Airport.
Only approved eco-taxis are permitted to operate from the taxi stands at Arlanda Airport. Fares are not fixed, and all taxis must clearly display their highest fare (comparative price) on both sides of the vehicle. This allows passengers to quickly compare pricing before selecting a taxi. There is no need to take the first taxi in the queue. The maximum price for trips within the marked zone boundaries is SEK 675 (price valid for up to 4 passengers traveling to a single address). Taxi dispatchers are available if you require assistance or need to order a wheelchair accessible vehicle.
Sweden’s train system provides a fast, comfortable and eco-friendly way to get to and from the airport. Most trains access the airport from Arlanda Central Station, located between Terminals 4 and 5 in an area called SkyCity. The Arlanda Express accesses the airport directly from all terminals. The following trains provide service to and from Arlanda Airport:
Arlanda Express - A high-speed train that runs a non-stop route between Stockholm Central Station and Arlanda Airport (total trip time: 20 minutes). The Arlanda Express can be accessed from all airport terminals by taking any escalator or elevator leading down to the train. Passengers can ride the Arlanda Express for free between Terminals 2, 3, and 5. Tickets can be purchased at the airport information desks or from the Arlanda Express automated ticket machines located near the elevators and escalators. Timetables can be viewed on the Arlanda Express website or mobile app.
Commuter Trains - Commuter trains run from Arlanda Central Station to Stockholm Central Station or Uppsala. Total trip time for commuter service is 18 minutes to Uppsala and 38 minutes to Stockholm Central Station. Tickets can be purchased at SL or UL sales points and Arlanda Central Station. Passengers who board or depart a commuter train at Arlanda Central Station must pay a station access fee of SEK 85. If the fee is not included in your ticket price, it can be paid for at the station counter in Arlanda Central Station.
Long Distance Trains - Passengers can take a long distance train from Arlanda Central Station to Uppsala, Malmö, Gävle and points beyond. Visit SJ or Tågkompaniet websites for routes, fares and further information.
Last Updated: 07 October 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.